What type of veg*n are you? - VeggieBoards
View Poll Results: What type of veg*an are you?
Vegan (no animal products) 0 0%
Lacto-ovo (has dairy) 0 0%
Lacto (has milk) 0 0%
Ovo (has eggs) 0 0%
Pisco (eats fish) 0 0%
Semi/demi (eats fish and chicken) 0 0%
I'm not veg*n 0 0%
Voters: 0. You may not vote on this poll

Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 01-08-2004, 02:11 AM
Veggie Regular

This has no doubt been asked before, but I thought even if it has we could have an updated version

All you have to do is vote and specify why you are that type if you want
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 01-08-2004, 02:13 AM
Veggie Regular

Vegan
#3 Old 01-08-2004, 02:17 AM
Veggie Regular

If you don't fall into a category Kpickell, feel free to just post.

I'm Lacto-ovo
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 01-08-2004, 02:18 AM
Veggie Regular

Shouldn't the vegan option be split into category's ?

I suggest:

- strict vegetarian.

- vegan (food only)

- vegan (food, clothes)

- vegan (food, clothes, shoes)
#5 Old 01-08-2004, 02:26 AM
Veggie Regular

You can only have 10 options in each poll that's why I didn't go too much into specifics but used general categories. If you want to share what type of vegan you are feel free to- don't complain about the poll.
#6 Old 01-08-2004, 02:28 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by kpickell View Post

Ah, the poll wasn't there when I first posted. Well, I'll vote "Vegan" even though I don't eat a completely vegitan diet.

Oh sorry Kpickell- I must have been in the process of writing it at the time
#7 Old 01-08-2004, 02:39 AM
Veggie Regular

Vegan here.
#8 Old 01-08-2004, 02:52 AM
kat
Veggie Regular

I'm vegatarian but I don't eat eggs or milk on their own only as an ingredient- and trying to slowly cut this down.
#9 Old 01-08-2004, 08:15 AM
Banned

I'm vegan. That's for both food and non-food items (bar one or two which I'm still working on replacing, but I've only been vegan a week!)

Kerry x
#10 Old 01-08-2004, 08:20 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by kat View Post

I'm vegatarian but I don't eat eggs or milk on their own only as an ingredient- and trying to slowly cut this down.

Me, too. And I don't use them in my own cooking. It's mostly pre-packaged stuff. I'm also starting to avoid gelatin, buying leather, etc. I'm working on my products. I switched many of my products to non-tested ones, but there are others that have been harder to find replacements for.
#11 Old 01-08-2004, 10:51 AM
Veggie Regular

I'm weird -- lacto-ovo because in some situations I don't try to avoid milk or eggs. For instance if I'm at a restaurant or a family member's house, I won't turn down mashed potatoes if they were made with milk, or cornbread that has an egg or two in it. But I don't eat eggs or egg dishes by themselves, or drink or use cow's milk, and I vastly prefer Silk Creamer in my coffee to half&half. I choose vegan margarine, but will eat cheese sometimes.

I know it sounds schizo, but I worked hard at eating veganishly for awhile -- couldn't quite hack it, want to work at eating that way again, but there are areas that are harder than others. Like meat substitutes. I've been relying on them a lot lately, and so many of them have a little egg white. If I felt like I had to restrict myself to just those that didn't, I'd probably feel despair. Weighing the little bit of egg white against the consequences of feeling deprived and despairing, I figure it is better to eat the non-vegan meat sub than fall off the wagon completely. The spirit is willing but the flesh is weak kinda thing. I know that sounds like such a cop-out, but I'm not the most strong and emotionally stable person around, and I have to take care of myself.

I am not buying any more leather goods, and am replacing my wallet and other small items as I can, but I'm not throwing out my boots, because nobody else is going to want them, but they will last me for years. Same with my wool coat -- I won't buy another, but I'll wear out the one I have. I hate the idea of waste. I try not to buy products tested on animals or with animal ingredients, though I'm sure a little bug shellac slips in now and then on fruit or candy. Etc, etc.
#12 Old 01-08-2004, 11:05 AM
kat
Veggie Regular

Oh cool- i thought i was just a freak in the middle. I also dont buy leather- haven't done for years. I scawn on my brother who was veggie since 5- but still buys leather. You should use the things u have intil they run out- otherwise it's a waste of resources- though i dont think i could stand to wear leather

K
#13 Old 01-08-2004, 11:13 AM
Veggie Regular

Strict vegetarian = vegan diet

Vegan = food, clothing, shoes.

I don't think you can divide vegan into "vegan diet" because that IS what Strict Vegetarian is... and the entire definition of a vegan is that you eat and USE no animal products...
#14 Old 01-08-2004, 11:41 AM
Veggie Regular

Semi/demi (eats fish and chicken) <------ I didn't know this was a type of veggie!

and I'm a veggie who does the dairy/white egg thing...
#15 Old 01-08-2004, 11:46 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by webbum View Post

Semi/demi (eats fish and chicken) <------ I didn't know this was a type of veggie!

Wannabe? I ate these for a few months before I stopped altogether.
#16 Old 01-08-2004, 12:25 PM

lacto-ovo

#17 Old 01-08-2004, 12:39 PM
Banned

Kat I'm with you too. My fiance and I are working on vegan and wont drink milk or eat ice cream or anything like that :P yuck! I'm allergic to eggs so that one is easy to take care of hehe ;-)
#18 Old 01-08-2004, 12:40 PM
Veggie Regular

I'm making a half-assed ovo-lacto effort, as some vegans would say. thankfully, none of those vegans are on thes eboards.
#19 Old 01-08-2004, 12:43 PM
Veggie Regular

I picked ovo-vegetarian, though like the others said above, I don't actually eat eggs on their own, I only have them if they're the ingrediants of something. And I try to get eggless versions of things if I can. But I cannot give up my Morningstar Farms
#20 Old 01-08-2004, 02:55 PM
Veggie Regular

I am a lacto-ovo with vegan tendencies. I most of the time will not buy or cook non-vegan foods for myself. In a restaurant or at someone's house I eat vegetarian and don't worry if the food is not vegan. I avoid buying other animal products (leather, etc.) I am working on becoming a vegan but it is a slow process.
#21 Old 01-08-2004, 03:12 PM
Beginner

i'm strict vegetarian...i occasionally eat honey.
#22 Old 01-08-2004, 03:49 PM
Veggie Regular

I am lacto-ovo... however, I only eat eggs IN things, not by themselves, and I have drastically cut my dairy consumption and I am currently looking for and trying out substitutes for many of the uses I have for dairy. For example, I have started using soy milk in my fruit smoothies. The milk/eggs we do purchase are organic/free-range.

I do not eat gelatin, meat broths, read labels for animal fats, etc.

I imagine I will eventually be a "practical" vegan (but I won't use the term vegan thus giving the wrong idea ), meaning I will not reject a food for milk solids or traces of egg, but will probably not be a purchaser of milk/dairy/eggs per se. I already have enough issues around eating it isn't a good idea to add more. It is a journey for me.
#23 Old 01-08-2004, 03:51 PM
Veggie Regular

Oh yeah, and I avoid leather unless I absolutely cannot find another alternative. This is rare.
#24 Old 01-08-2004, 03:57 PM
Veggie Regular

I didn't vote, because I have never fit neatly under any one category. Plus it seems I am always in some sort of transition, phasing out a different food group. Currently, I am closer to being vegan than ever, especially dietarily. The only animal foods I have consumed in the past 5 years are cheese and seafood. I have consumed eggs and butter but only as an ingredient in say, baked goods. And all of those things slowly but surely have gone out the door.

Ultimately, I would like to be vegan. I still have mixed thoughts on fish. I know a couple of people who call themselves vegans, but will occasionally (like 3 times/year) "supplement" themselves with fish like with macrobiotics. And the fish has to be caught locally by them or someone they know. I don't have a problem with this although I haven't decided if I should do the same.
#25 Old 01-08-2004, 04:33 PM

I'm vegan

Quote:
I still have mixed thoughts on fish. I know a couple of people who call themselves vegans, but will occasionally (like 3 times/year) "supplement" themselves with fish like with macrobiotics. And the fish has to be caught locally by them or someone they know. I don't have a problem with this although I haven't decided if I should do the same.

Hi VeggieKitten. I was just interested in your opinion about fish. Not being judgemental or anything (as we are all at different stages of our veggie journey!) just curious ??

#26 Old 01-08-2004, 04:45 PM
Veggie Regular

Hi Toria, welcome to VB...

I'm trying to figure it out too. Seafood is that part of my former omni-ism that still tries to hang on from time to time. As a child growing up in FL, I was raised on significantly more seafood than meat or poultry. So giving those up was nothing to me. My family would catch all of our own fish and still do. It's part of my "culture" here, I guess.

However, I do not condone most commercial fishing practices, as they are environmentally hazardous by overfishing our marine ecosystems, pollute the waters, and excessively kill other types of marine life. I feel the same way about farm raising. The fish are in crowded and unnatural habitats, and many times given chemicals and horomones. I would never order fish in a restaurant because you just never know where it comes from.

Those are my viewpoints for starters, anyway.
#27 Old 01-08-2004, 04:50 PM
Veggie Regular

I'm right there with kat, strawberry, borealis, etc. in terms of not exactly fitting into one category, and having lots of funny rules about what I'll eat when.
#28 Old 01-08-2004, 05:13 PM
Veggie Regular

I voted vegan, but I guess strict vegetarian might be more accurate. I'm closer to vegan.

I'm 100% vegan in diet and clothing, but I might buy a (non-animal tested) shampoo or something every couple of months if I can't find or afford a vegan alternative. I can check the labels on food easily enough, and my 'animal-free shopper' helps enormously, but those lists of chemicals on the back of toiletries go over my head.

If I can't find something from the 'animal-free shopper' then I'll look for something with the bunny symbol and avoid obvious stuff like silk, honey, lanolin, etc if I can.

So, if that makes me not vegan, that's okay. I do pretty good, I think I'm only two years into my 'five year transition plan', so I have three years to figure the rest out
#29 Old 01-08-2004, 05:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VeggieKitten View Post

Hi Toria, welcome to VB...

I'm trying to figure it out too. Seafood is that part of my former omni-ism that still tries to hang on from time to time. As a child growing up in FL, I was raised on significantly more seafood than meat or poultry. So giving those up was nothing to me. My family would catch all of our own fish and still do. It's part of my "culture" here, I guess.

However, I do not condone most commercial fishing practices, as they are environmentally hazardous by overfishing our marine ecosystems, pollute the waters, and excessively kill other types of marine life. I feel the same way about farm raising. The fish are in crowded and unnatural habitats, and many times given chemicals and horomones. I would never order fish in a restaurant because you just never know where it comes from.

Those are my viewpoints for starters, anyway.

Thanks for replying VeggieKitten and thanks for the welcome I can totally understand how its hard to give up parts of your "former-life" Lucky for me I was never much of a meat, seafood or even egg & milk lover. I did (and still do sometimes) miss cheese though but I read up on the dairy industry and couldn't stick my head in the sand for any longer.

I totally agree with your views on commercial farming of any kind and it's good that you stick to your principles & would draw the line. Fishing seems to be a difficult subject really as there has been a lot of debate about whether fish have feelings or even memory of pain. My personal view is live & let live really. I don't think any animal was put on this earth for our purposes so I don't eat, wear or use animals. I include fish in that, whether they feel pain or not because I wouldn't want to end a life other people have different views though & I won't say I'm right. It's just right for me. You don't need to eat fish from a health point of view though as you can get omega oils from flaxseed etc
#30 Old 01-08-2004, 06:23 PM
Veggie Regular

By the by I voted vegan.

It is hard to fit totally into one category sometimes. for me, I'll sometimes eat honey.. Which isn't technically vegan but, one does what one does. The rest of my life is as vegan as it can get - and of course we are all learning all the time, and there are so many of those darned words you need to memorize, so I'm not perfect or anything.

I strive to be as vegan in everything as possible. I've had no dairy or meat in almost two years (march 20!) and I'm very adamant about that because when I've accidentally had any, it's made me more physically ill than I've ever been in my memory. I don't wear leather (creeps me out, makes me feel surrounded by death, as it were), wool, etc, nor do I use products with lanolin and other stuffs in there.

It really sucks that there aren't more cosmetic alternatives - anything that is not tested on animals seems to have some sort of animal product like lanolin in it! It's not fair. *pout*

Anywho to each their own in regards to this topic. If you're lacto-ovo (with or without 'rules') - you're doing more than the average person likely is and get the thumbs up from me. Sure I wish everone was vegan but that's not reality and I am really happy when people do ANYTHING beyond the normal capacity, whether it's with diet, helping animals, the environment, etc., in any way.

...Though I refuse to accept the idea of pesco/pollo vegetarians... Animal flesh is animal flesh.... but either way.. do what you do! I'm not trying to put anyone down.. just saying that I refuse to use those terms.. cos a vegetarian doesn't eat animal flesh... that's just the way it is for me... but keep up doing what you're doing, every little bit helps :>

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page