What type of veg*n are you? - Page 2 - VeggieBoards
View Poll Results: What type of veg*an are you?
Vegan (no animal products) 0 0%
Lacto-ovo (has dairy) 0 0%
Lacto (has milk) 0 0%
Ovo (has eggs) 0 0%
Pisco (eats fish) 0 0%
Semi/demi (eats fish and chicken) 0 0%
I'm not veg*n 0 0%
Voters: 0. You may not vote on this poll

Forum Jump: 

#31 Old 01-08-2004, 06:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loki View Post

I'm making a half-assed ovo-lacto effort, as some vegans would say. thankfully, none of those vegans are on thes eboards.

YOUR NOT DOING ENOUGH!!!

Oh whoops wait this isn't peta2. Haha

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kat View Post

I'm vegatarian but I don't eat eggs or milk on their own only as an ingredient- and trying to slowly cut this down.

Ditto on that!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#32 Old 01-08-2004, 07:05 PM
Veggie Regular

I'm a schmegan, as Max Power once put it.
#33 Old 01-08-2004, 10:45 PM
Veggie Regular

Im vegan, in that i dont dont eat, wear or use animals in anyway, when i can. I can't not take my anti-depressant meds, so thats the only non-vegan thing i take, im not even sure if it is non vegan though, because it doesnt have a film thing around it.

i buy the cruelty free(bunny sign ) products as much i can as well! i am one of those that freak on the little things though.. anywho just another vegan

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#34 Old 01-08-2004, 11:30 PM

I'm a "strict vegetarian" because I still own leather shoes and have a few items made of wool. Once I wear these out, I think I can comfortably call myself a vegan. But then again...how can anyone possibly be a vegan? A friend once pointed out to me that movie film is used of gelatin and so if you watch movies you aren't vegan...etc. etc. i'm sure you can think of a million other examples to make it impossible to lead a completely vegan lifestyle...in the West, anyways.

Before I became a "strict vegetarian" last year, i was a lacto-vegetarian for about 6 years.
#35 Old 01-09-2004, 02:54 AM
Veggie Regular

vegan
#36 Old 01-09-2004, 04:42 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lenore View Post

I'm right there with kat, strawberry, borealis, etc. in terms of not exactly fitting into one category, and having lots of funny rules about what I'll eat when.

Yep, another one of these here!

I've been veggie for nearly 10 years and for a year now have stopped using butter, cow's milk, yoghurt etc at home. I don't eat eggs anyway because I don't like them. But I still eat some meat subs containing egg white though (like quorn products) and - my major downfall - haven't been able to give up the cheese, though I have managed to cut it down to maybe once or twice a week.

When I go out to eat I just revert to regular vegetarian status, though I still wouldn't use butter on a jacket potato or anything (it tastes too sweet and strange now).

I confuse myself sometimes with my flexible "rules" (let alone everyone else!). Really though, I just eat what I feel happy with at that particular moment.
#37 Old 01-09-2004, 06:32 AM
Veggie Regular

Did you not read anything I said?
#38 Old 01-09-2004, 06:37 AM
Veggie Regular

Nevermind, I'm deleting all of my posts in this thread, so as not to disrupt this topic's original intent. I'll start my own topic.
#39 Old 01-09-2004, 06:47 AM
Veggie Regular

*MOD POST*

I split off from this thread the debate that had started. If you would like to continue that part of the discussion you may do so at the following link.

https://www.veggieboards.com/boards/s...ad.php?t=14002
#40 Old 01-09-2004, 07:23 AM
Veggie Regular

you could say i'm with the vegan gestapo.i don't use any products that are animal derived.once i hear about a product even being SLIGHTLY suspicious,i just give it up,no questions asked.my only sin is the use of metal and plastic made things that sometimes have in their composition 0.00000001% animal ingredients,but all the farms would go bust the next day if everyone would buy just that. i've starved because of my convictions(even for days sometimes),i've been in horrible pain because of my refusal to take animal tested pain killers...ever tried having your teeth removed without any drug use?

when i'm facing a "vegan" issue,the question is never "maybe i could still use this or that product,i'm making enough sacrifices as it is". going back is never a choice...

for those "i'm trying to give up meat,but it tastes soooooooooo good" vegans,here's a little story about one man who's dedication might make you stop and have a loooooong hard look at yourselves.

http://www.gospelcom.net/chi/DAILYF/...-17-2002.shtml

and there were countless people like him who's sacrifices can't even be described in these "modern times".why did they do it,you ask? because,unlike today,the western world's values did not place the individual above everything else.there were no "because i'm worth it" commercials back then. the TRUTH was EVERYTHING that MATTERED and NO SACRFICE was too great!
#41 Old 01-09-2004, 07:30 AM
Banned

I am working at being ovo/lacto. I don't eat eggs by themselves, but I don't go ape if they are in a premix. I have switched to soy milk, but I doubt that I will give up cheese. I eat chicken products in mixes, broth etc. but I don't cook chicken as a dish.

I am not vegan, nor do I have ambitions of being vegan. I still have leather shoes etc to wear out, but if I can't find synthetic as warm as leather, I will probably always have some leather boots, shoes. My feet stay cold all winter. Summer time I wear New Balance vegan jogging shoes.

Only a year ago I had just began to leave off beef, so who knows how far I will be in another year.
#42 Old 01-09-2004, 07:31 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by vegan23 View Post

you could say i'm with the vegan gestapo.

From reading your post, it seems to me that you're rather with the vegan inquisition. You talk about sin, sacrifice, heresy... Clearly veganism is more a religion for you than anything else.
#43 Old 01-09-2004, 07:34 AM
Veggie Regular

At home I'm a strict vegetarian (I eat a vegan diet). However when I eat with family, I will eat dishes made with dairy. But if i'm at a restaurant, I generally abide by my strict vegetarian diet. I do try to avoid eggs even at other people's homes.

So...I guess Strict Vegetarian/lacto-vegetarian...somewhere in between.

B
#44 Old 01-09-2004, 07:44 AM
Banned

Vegan23,

I crown you Cardinal of the Vegans. Please don't hurt us with your staff.

If one of us Christians talked about peoples' behaviors with the same judgementalism you do veganizm, we would probably be ran off the boards.

You will never convince people to become vegan with a better-than-thou attitude.

Oh, the next time you have teeth pulled without pain killer, can I watch?
#45 Old 01-09-2004, 08:30 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oatmeal View Post

From reading your post, it seems to me that you're rather with the vegan inquisition. You talk about sin, sacrifice, heresy... Clearly veganism is more a religion for you than anything else.

read my signature,you'll get it

people have suffered and died for many causes:god,freedom,love,science...truth is always something personal,no matter what it is.the hardest part is finding it,it gets a lot easier after that.sadly,most of us choose the easy way(and i can't really say i blame those who do).and though old winston is not exactly one of my favorite people,i must agree with him on this one:"Man will occasionally stumble over the truth, but most times he will pick himself up and carry on.Truth is incontrovertible, ignorance can deride it, panic may resent it, malice may destroy it, but there it is."
#46 Old 01-09-2004, 04:56 PM
Veggie Regular

I'm lacto-veg. I wanna go vegan one day but it'll probably be a couple years before I'm fully vegan. I've been vegetarian almost a year and I quit eggs in about September, I think.
#47 Old 01-09-2004, 06:23 PM
Veggie Regular

i don't really fit into a category (my description is on the debate thread). it's easiest for me to say "i'm vegetarian" when asked. Well, usually the answer is just yes, because people say "are you vegetarian?" and i answer them. then, they ask "do you consume dairy, eggs?" and i say "i strive not to" and then explain when i might or do. They're usually happy with those answers. I'm happy with those answers.

As for what VK said, i'd like to point out that for those of us who were omni, we were raised in an omni culture. Even though my thing may not be seafood, chicken, beef, pork, etc were in my household growing up (and still are at my parents of course.) it's all around me in steak houses and other restaurants. i know many hunters and local farmers and enjoy them immensely as friends. They invite me to things (bbqs etc), and they give food to my husband (very generous considering our current economic position). They offer it to me, and i turn it down.

I've never liked seafood, so for me, giving it up wasn't any harder than VK giving up land animals. But, it also wasn't hard for me to give up what i knew once i decided to do so. I don't get cravings for it, and i don't want it. It's ok to decide to transition to vegetarianism, to think about giving up what is part of your heritage or culture, and then to make the decision. I honor that. I'll give an example that i think is similar.

my husband and i were both raised christian. I'm catholic; he's UCC. I love catholicism and feel very at home there. I've also practiced zen meditation for 13-14 years. He's practiced zen meditation for 8-9 years. We both practice yoga. Basicly, our spiritual disciplines/faith practice is important to us. Equally important is our desire to practice together--to have a sort of "cohesive" practice with a community. He came to the catholic church with me many times, but discovered that he didn't want to "join" because there were some things about the church that he didn't agree with. I can understand that--and he can understand why i would "work within" to change the things that i don't like.

We tried UCC, and we tried a number of other churches in our area. We found that they weren't for us. Then, we found a zen meditation group. We started to practice with them. We practiced with them for a long while (a year or so) but found ourselves missing our christian celebrations. Not that we were avoiding them--but when you have the buddha's birthday celebrations on Dec 8 and children's day on the 16th, and then a new years thing, and a thing in feb, and one in april, and so on, it's tough to celebrate those AND your christian ones. So, we sorta relied on our parents for those celebrations and had fun withthem. But, we weren't "really" participating as muchas we would like.

So, we thought it would be good if we could find something that was "zen" that we both could practice, that wasn't particularly "buddhist" but rather was christian, but not like a normal church.

we chose quaker meeting after a bit of serendipity, and it was the right fit. We wanted something that was "just us" and also honored our heritage. People would say "if you believed in "zen-ness" more, then you should be zen. You should pick one and go with it--and heritage is not a good enough reason to stick to a particular religion.

See, ultimately, we belive that most religions are the same, are ok. we wanted a place that was both 'zen' and christian to honor and practice our heritage. I still consider myself inherently catholic, but i worship where we fit.

I see veggie-ism much the same way. Well, diet i guess. many of them are good, healthy, and whatever--just different approaches for different folks. And therefore, it's ok to say "my heritage is this, and that's why i choose to continue this way"

basicly, most all of it is good.

be well and happy!
#48 Old 01-09-2004, 06:50 PM
Veggie Regular

Don't mean to be uninformed Zoe, but what is UCC? Unitarian? Just wondering.
#49 Old 01-09-2004, 07:27 PM
Veggie Regular

VEgan.
#50 Old 01-09-2004, 07:59 PM
Veggie Regular

Vegetarian.
#51 Old 01-09-2004, 08:03 PM
Veggie Regular

Just out of curiosity, do all of the teenagers living at home with their families manage to have all cruelty-free hygiene products, etc. that are associatied with a vegan lifestyle? I know I have a half-decent-paying job and I can't afford them yet. Just curious.
#52 Old 01-09-2004, 08:07 PM

meatless, the no animal-tested ones are pretty easy for the majority of people (St. Ives, for example, is pretty cheap), but I've wondered about the by-products as well.
#53 Old 01-09-2004, 08:12 PM
Veggie Regular

For example, I was looking at non-animal tested, environmentally friendly cleaning agents (i.e. Mr. Clean substitute, dish detergent) and they cost a small fortune! I am introducing this sort of thing bit by bit as I find them and can afford them, but there are so many things we all use on a day to day basis (unless the teenagers don't have to do the housework--if so, lucky ducks! ) that must be replaced to be considered "vegan" by some standards. I wouldn't be surprised if my "house hold items" budget triples by the time I've found substitutes for everything.
#54 Old 01-09-2004, 08:48 PM
Veggie Regular

I am an octo-lavo vegetarian right now, but I am going to try to cut down on dairy products a bit for health reasons. I eat a TON of cheese and cheese products and although there is calcium, there is also cholestrol and I just found out that high cholesterol kind of runs in my family. I drink soymilk, so I am going to experiment with soy yogurt and soy cheese. If anyone knows of a good soy cheese - I am open to suggestions because I haven't found one that I can tolerate yet.
#55 Old 01-09-2004, 11:06 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by meatless View Post

Just out of curiosity, do all of the teenagers living at home with their families manage to have all cruelty-free hygiene products, etc. that are associatied with a vegan lifestyle? I know I have a half-decent-paying job and I can't afford them yet. Just curious.

well i get cruelty-free shampoo, soap, deodarant, and toothpaste, im not much into make up though. so thats all i need
#56 Old 01-09-2004, 11:55 PM
Veggie Regular

Meatless - I'm not a teenager, but I agree about the cost. And a lot of the replacements are not as good quality, IMO. Maybe I haven't found the right ones.
#57 Old 01-10-2004, 12:42 AM
Veggie Regular

bethany:

UCC is united church of christ (not to be confused with the church of christ). they're a relatively new organization, founded sometime in the 1940s. They are basicly a combination of two protestant derrivations.
#58 Old 01-10-2004, 02:23 AM

Hi, I am vegan. Nice to see so many vegans.
#59 Old 01-10-2004, 04:14 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by meatless View Post

Well, I'm a vegan teenager living at home and I have vegan soap, deoderant, shampoo and toothpaste. I still need to get a moisturiser. That's pretty much all I use. Regarding cleaning products - the ones in the house aren't vegan but if I need anything I tend to use the basics like vinegar and bicarb soda anyway.
#60 Old 01-10-2004, 10:08 AM
Veggie Regular

Thanks for informing me Zoebird!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page