Vegetarian Survey - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 01-13-2010, 01:57 PM

Im doing a project on vegetarianism and I need you guys to answer a few questions.

1. How long have you been vegetarian?

2. How old were you when you became vegetarian?

3. Whats been the most difficult challenges that have come from being a vegetarian?

4. When you tell people your vegetarian, whats there reaction?

5. Do you have to take any vitamin supplements?

6. Whats the main reason for becoming a vegetarian?

7. Do you get all of your necessary nutrients? (protein, b12, calcium, zinc, iron)

Thank you!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 01-13-2010, 02:10 PM
Veggie Regular

I'll bite.

1. How long have you been vegetarian? 3 mos.

2. How old were you when you became vegetarian? 24

3. Whats been the most difficult challenges that have come from being a vegetarian? eating out/with family who don't understand my diet

4. When you tell people your vegetarian, whats there reaction? surprise, neither positive nor negative.

5. Do you have to take any vitamin supplements? No.

6. Whats the main reason for becoming a vegetarian? Health, environment, and animals, equally

7. Do you get all of your necessary nutrients? (protein, b12, calcium, zinc, iron) So far as I know, yes. I can tell on days when I'm low on protein, for instance.

Depending on the nature of your project be sure to account for the fact your data is self-reported and not necessarily a random sampling.
#3 Old 01-13-2010, 02:35 PM

life

1 day old

3. Whats been the most difficult challenges that have come from being a vegetarian?

none really..

i'd say peoples comments but they dont really bother me. give back as good as they do..

some are interested, others can be quite suprised, usually positive for me though.

then the question 'why' haha.

no

since birth & my love for animals..the thought of eating meat is beyond me.

7. Do you get all of your necessary nutrients? (protein, b12, calcium, zinc, iron)

slightly low on the iron according to a blood test
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 01-13-2010, 03:33 PM
Veggie Regular

3 years

Having to plan ahead to go out to restaurants sometimes.

Usually not much reaction around here. Sometimes, they ask why.

I take a multi-vitamin when I remember, but I did that as a meat eater, too.

Animal lover.

Yes. In fact, my iron level became a little too high since going veg, probably because I eat a lot of broccoli and spinach. Donating blood regularly helps with that.

--Fromper

#5 Old 01-13-2010, 03:35 PM
Herbivorous Urchin

None, actually. It was the easiest thing I've done.

"What do you eeeeeaaaaattttt you can't be healthy!"

I drink a vitajuice every morning.

Ethical, Environmental, Health.

Rice Milks, Vitajuice, Leafygreens, lentils, and so on.

Quote:
"You will always be fond of me. I represent to you all the sins you never had the courage to commit.”
Oscar Wilde, The Picture of Dorian Gray
#6 Old 01-13-2010, 03:39 PM
Arrrg! Me mateys.

10 years before I became a vegan (almost a year ago).

Seven.

Not being many 'grab-and-go' food products. Though I suppose that's better since I eat healthier than the general population.

"I could never be vegetarian. I love -insert consumable here- too much."

No.

The animals.

Yes.

korrakorrakorrakorrakorra
#7 Old 01-13-2010, 03:42 PM
Veggie Regular

A: 8 months now.

A: 23 years old.

A: Social pressures.

A: Depends - sometimes hostile, sometimes disdainful, sometimes encouraging, sometimes curious.

A: I have a multivitamin, but I'm bad about remembering to take it. Also spirulina supplements.

A: The environment. I'm also interested in animal welfare, and the health benefits of vegetarianism.

A: If I'm not getting all of my necessary nutrients, I don't know about it yet.
#8 Old 01-13-2010, 03:44 PM
Veggie Regular

1. How long have you been vegetarian? 17 months

2. How old were you when you became vegetarian? 45

3. Whats been the most difficult challenges that have come from being a vegetarian? Family gatherings

4. When you tell people your vegetarian, whats there reaction? Happy for me

5. Do you have to take any vitamin supplements? B12, Vitamin D

6. Whats the main reason for becoming a vegetarian? Health

7. Do you get all of your necessary nutrients? (protein, b12, calcium, zinc, iron) Yes
#9 Old 01-13-2010, 04:10 PM
Veggie Regular

1. How long have you been vegetarian? 7 months. I probably would have been classified as one of those pesky "flexiterians" prior to my official change.

2. How old were you when you became vegetarian? 35

3. Whats been the most difficult challenges that have come from being a vegetarian? My husband and 2 kids are omni, and they have struggled a little with eating differently because I cook differently. My husband is now the primary meat cook when that is what they want.

4. When you tell people your vegetarian, whats there reaction? Most people don't care at all. A few ask questions. I can't say that I have encountered a negative response.

5. Do you have to take any vitamin supplements? Yes. I take a multi-vitamin and a calcium & D supplement.

6. Whats the main reason for becoming a vegetarian? Health

7. Do you get all of your necessary nutrients? (protein, b12, calcium, zinc, iron) Yes

The opposite of war isn't peace. It's creation!
#10 Old 01-13-2010, 04:15 PM
Veggie Regular

I'll jump in on this, even though I've only been veggie a little while.

1. How long have you been vegetarian? --> About a month

2. How old were you when you became vegetarian? --> 18

3. Whats been the most difficult challenges that have come from being a vegetarian? --> other people! not everyone is supportive or very open to veg*ns

4. When you tell people your vegetarian, whats there reaction? --> do you still eat fish?

5. Do you have to take any vitamin supplements? --> nope

6. Whats the main reason for becoming a vegetarian? --> the animals

7. Do you get all of your necessary nutrients? (protein, b12, calcium, zinc, iron) --> I'm with Kellye, if I'm not I don't know about it, but I drink lots of soy milk! mmm
#11 Old 01-13-2010, 04:19 PM
Veggie Regular

Vegetarian Survey

Im doing a project on vegetarianism and I need you guys to answer a few questions.

A little over a year.

Finding veg-friendly food at family reunions (a lot of fishers and hunters)

Some think it's cool, others ask questions. I don't get a lot of teasing.

As far as I know, no, but I could be wrong. I do tend to take calcium supplements when I remember.

I realized that I was only eating it because I wasn't the one cooking for myself.

I try.

Thank you!

You're welcome.

Did you write the book of love, and do you have faith in God above,
If the Bible tells you so? Do you believe in rock Ân roll,
Can music save your mortal soul, And can you teach me how to dance real slow?
#12 Old 01-13-2010, 05:08 PM
Beginner

1. How long have you been vegetarian? I have been a vegetarian for 13 years.

2. How old were you when you became vegetarian? I was 18.

3. Whats been the most difficult challenges that have come from being a vegetarian? The most difficult challenge is eating out, especially when I lived in a fairly small town with few options.

4. When you tell people your vegetarian, whats there reaction? They usually say 'oh, okay'

5. Do you have to take any vitamin supplements? Nope

6. Whats the main reason for becoming a vegetarian? There are all sorts of reasons but my main reason is that meat disgusts me.

#13 Old 01-13-2010, 05:11 PM
Veggie Regular

1. How long have you been vegetarian? counts fingers...19 months

2. How old were you when you became vegetarian? 26

3. Whats been the most difficult challenges that have come from being a vegetarian? Going out to eat with other people or explaining to people how eating eggs causes just as much suffering as eating the actual chicken.

4. When you tell people your vegetarian, whats there reaction? People are usually surprised because I'm 1) male and 2) not thin. I get mostly positive reactions though. People will say that's great but they could never do it.

5. Do you have to take any vitamin supplements? I don't have to but I do. I took the same multi-vitamin before I became veg*n though.

6. Whats the main reason for becoming a vegetarian? At the time I did it for health reasons but very quickly it became an animal rights issue for me as I learned more about animal agriculture. I'd say that's what keeps people committed to it because we all break rules regarding our personal health.

7. Do you get all of your necessary nutrients? (protein, b12, calcium, zinc, iron) I sure hope so!

i hear in my mind all of these voices
i hear in my mind all of these words
i hear in my mind all of this music
#14 Old 01-13-2010, 05:23 PM
Beginner

1. How long have you been vegetarian? Almost 2 years

2. How old were you when you became vegetarian? 22

3. Whats been the most difficult challenges that have come from being a vegetarian? After going out with my friends at night and the only place open is Jack in the Box

4. When you tell people your vegetarian, whats there reaction? "Why?"

5. Do you have to take any vitamin supplements? No

6. Whats the main reason for becoming a vegetarian? I don't want to contribute to the torture and killing of animals (spiritual reasons, health reasons, and environmental impact reasons as well)

#15 Old 01-13-2010, 05:29 PM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puppet Master View Post

Seven.

Really? Story?
#16 Old 01-13-2010, 05:38 PM
Veggie Regular

1. How long have you been vegetarian? since the 27th of december 2008.

2. How old were you when you became vegetarian? 23.

3. Whats been the most difficult challenges that have come from being a vegetarian? dealing with disrespect from other people.

4. When you tell people your vegetarian, whats there reaction? usually derision, or "i could never do that". occasionally people are curious and/or accepting.

5. Do you have to take any vitamin supplements? only vitamin b12, and i ensured that the kind i get is vegan.

6. Whats the main reason for becoming a vegetarian? i don't believe that human beings have a right to dominion over animals.

7. Do you get all of your necessary nutrients? (protein, b12, calcium, zinc, iron) to the best of my knowledge, i am not vitamin deficient (i used to be when i was an omni).
#17 Old 01-13-2010, 05:58 PM
Veggie Regular

-Just over 1 year.

-Maintaining a healthy vegetarian diet when doing things with the Army (drill, training, schools, deployment, etc.).

-Many don't believe me, I guess I don't fit the vegetarian stereotype very well. I'm currently at some Army training and had a guy who has known me from drill for over a year but never really paid close attention tell me today "You really are a vegetarian, aren't you?"

-Most of the time, no. When traveling or on deployment, or in any other situation where I have less control over what I eat, I may take some supplements.

-It started as I was examining my philosophy regarding when it is and isn't right to kill a person, and ended up applying the same principals to animals. In either case, I will kill if I believe it is a survival necessity. If someone is pointing a gun at me, my family, one of my fellow soldiers, etc., I will do anything within my power to eliminate that threat. I am not a pacifist either. I even support initiating an attack if there is a greater good to be served, even with the understanding that mistakes will sometimes be made. No matter how I reworded my philosophy, however, I was unable to define modern meat consumption as a necessity. It serves no legitimate purpose whatsoever, yet creates many problems... environmental, ethical, social, health, the list goes on.

-Yes. It isn't any more difficult than it was as an omnivore.

"I'm not in this world to live up to your expectations and you're not in this world to live up to mine." Bruce Lee.

"On a large enough time line, the survival rate for everyone drops to zero." Chuck Palahniuk (Fight Club)

#18 Old 01-13-2010, 06:55 PM
Veggie Regular

1. How long have you been vegetarian? Technically 2 months, as I was a pescetarian before

2. How old were you when you became vegetarian? 15

3. Whats been the most difficult challenges that have come from being a vegetarian? Eating out

4. When you tell people your vegetarian, whats there reaction? Often rationalizing their meat eating

5. Do you have to take any vitamin supplements? Yes, but I would without vegetarianism anyway

6. Whats the main reason for becoming a vegetarian? Preventing animal suffering

ÂIf man could be crossed with the cat it would improve man, but it would deteriorate the cat.  Mark Twain
#19 Old 01-13-2010, 07:14 PM
Banned

2 and a bit years of being vegetarian. Nearly 4 months of being vegan

15 vegetarian. 18 vegan.

Going to Austria on holiday. Nobody understood about rennet (found one restaurant that actually had a specific vegetarian section, and they used Parmigiano-Reggiano in all of the meals ) or gelatine (again, got served a massive plate full of gelatine filled stuff even though we'd booked through an British travel company and they assured us that the hotel were aware that I was vegetarian). I have a suspicion that those problems were caused by the attention-seeking people who want the nice warm fuzzy feeling of calling themselves vegetarian but still eating things like rennet and gelatine. (Being vegetarian isn't just about not eating meat (including fish). It's about not eating anything that comes from dead animals.)

When I was vegetarian: the immortal "do you eat fish question?". Now when I say vegan it either: "What about calcium?!?!" or "I could never give up cheese".

I don't HAVE to, but I do have some which I take sometimes when I remember or when I haven't been eating properly (university student!). Although I used to do the same thing when I still ate meat for the same reason (I'm not very good at eating healthily. Ever.)

Going vegetarian was because of animal welfare. Going vegan was because of animal rights and the fact eating stuff from animals really started to gross me out.

Yes. Most definitely yes.
#20 Old 01-13-2010, 07:17 PM
Veggie Regular

15 years. Stopped eating dairy/eggs 7 yrs ago.

15 years old

Dealing with other peoples' ignorance

their, not there.

Most people don't seem too phased by it... until I say I don't eat dairy/eggs either then it's suddenly "WOAH EXTREME!" and "what DO you eat?" (To which I respond "Uhm.. everything else?")

Do I *have to*? No. I could rely on fortified foods to get my B12, but I choose to take a B12 tablet a few times a week to make sure I get enough. I also take a D vitamin every day since it's recommended for EVERYONE, especially in my area where we get little sun in the winter.

Meat is made out of dead animals.

Yes.

http://megatarian.blogspot.com
#21 Old 01-13-2010, 08:17 PM
Veggie Regular

1. How long have you been vegetarian? - Around 10 months now. About 5-6 Strict Vegetarian/Vegan...

2. How old were you when you became vegetarian? - 16

3. Whats been the most difficult challenges that have come from being a vegetarian? - Convenience, mainly. I miss being able to snack easily. Other than that, no major hitches!

4. When you tell people your vegetarian, whats there reaction? - They often try to explain/rationalize why they still eat meat. Either that or bad jokes.

5. Do you have to take any vitamin supplements? - Nope. I probably should.

6. Whats the main reason for becoming a vegetarian? - Ethical issues with the killing of animals.

7. Do you get all of your necessary nutrients? (protein, b12, calcium, zinc, iron) - I hope so...in any case I'm sure I get more than I did as an omni because I definitely eat healthier now.

don't take my life away, don't take my life away.
#22 Old 01-14-2010, 03:43 AM

1. How long have you been vegetarian? 6 years

2. How old were you when you became vegetarian? 17

3. Whats been the most difficult challenges that have come from being a vegetarian? I haven't found it to be too difficult, but I think the hardest thing is finding good restaurants to eat at, particularly when I'm out of town that offer good vegetarian food.

4. When you tell people your vegetarian, whats there reaction? Most of the time people just ask questions about what types of things I eat.

5. Do you have to take any vitamin supplements? sometimes I take a multi vitamin

6. Whats the main reason for becoming a vegetarian? animal rights, mostly. But the health benefits are an added bonus.

7. Do you get all of your necessary nutrients? (protein, b12, calcium, zinc, iron) yes
#23 Old 01-14-2010, 04:15 AM
Veggie Regular

10 years

Eating out, not having any close veggie friends for support & guidance

Surprised, curious, "you need meat" and "do you eat fish, chicken...."

I don't take any supplements but I probably should for caution

Ethical

I think so as I feel fine but then I have never done a test for the above [except iron which I had done a test for a few years ago & it was ok]

#24 Old 01-14-2010, 04:16 AM
Veggie Regular

Since I was 4/5...so about 18 years

Oops sorry, see above

As a child I was incredibly fussy, and didn't eat meat, hot food or vegetables. I'm still fussy about a lot of veg, and this can make eating out difficult, where the veggie option is exactly that...veggies. But that is more my fault than anyone elses. Apart from my own dietary limitations, vegetarianism has been a breeze for me.

"Oh, typical, you look like one!"

I don't have to, but I take a multivitamin, iron tablets and evening oil of primrose. I feel better when I do.

I was a kid. I asked my Dad if the chicken on my plate died of old age, and when he said 'no, they are bred to be killed for food'. I pushed my plate away. So concern for animals.

Yes, even though some of it is from artificial sources. I make sure I eat lots of the healthy foods I DO like to make up for the fact I hate a lot of the foods I should eat!
#25 Old 01-14-2010, 06:59 AM
Lifelong vegetarian

===> Lifelong

===> 1 second

===> none

===> surprised

===> yes

6. Whats the main reason for staying a vegetarian?

===> all the reasons you will find on VB and more - never found a reason to eat meat

===> I am still alive and healthy

My usual answer: I have never heard a convincing reason to eat meat.
#26 Old 01-14-2010, 07:02 AM
Lifelong vegetarian

Can you show us the result of your survey?

My usual answer: I have never heard a convincing reason to eat meat.
#27 Old 01-14-2010, 08:01 AM
Veggie Regular

1. How long have you been vegetarian? - 5 months almost 6

2. How old were you when you became vegetarian? - 19

3. Whats been the most difficult challenges that have come from being a vegetarian? - lack of support from parents and restaurants

4. When you tell people your vegetarian, whats there reaction? - "oh ok" lol probally masking their real feelings. Though my neighbor started attacking me with"what do you eat you don't eat etc?!"

5. Do you have to take any vitamin supplements? - I take calcium pills unrelated however just a preventive thing suggested by my gyno to avoid osteoperosis and because I have low dairy intake

6. Whats the main reason for becoming a vegetarian? - I don't see how killing and eating live creatures is justified when we have other options. Also the taste is nasty and for my health

7. Do you get all of your necessary nutrients? (protein, b12, calcium, zinc, iron) - I think so? Really don't know but I feel healthy so probally.

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will then know peace" - Jimi Hendrix
#28 Old 01-14-2010, 08:34 AM
Veggie Regular

1. How long have you been vegetarian? 10 months

2. How old were you when you became vegetarian? 25

3. Whats been the most difficult challenges that have come from being a vegetarian? Eating out and judgemental friends and family that do not understand my reasoning for not eating meat.

4. When you tell people your vegetarian, whats there reaction? For the most part it has been curiosity, but I have had a few people that reacted negatively and tried to start an arguement about it.

5. Do you have to take any vitamin supplements? No, but I want to get into the habit of taking a multivitamin again.

6. Whats the main reason for becoming a vegetarian? My main reason was animal rights, but two other major portions are heath and the enivronment as well.

7. Do you get all of your necessary nutrients? (protein, b12, calcium, zinc, iron) I do not track everything (I keep track of protein and sugar), but I try to eat a varied diet... the more colors the better.
#29 Old 01-14-2010, 08:43 AM
Veggie Regular

one year, 2 months

reactions from some people, being put on the spot to have debates i don't always care to have. i have struggled with meat cravings once or twice, but it has been surprisingly easy otherwise.

it varies. everything from enthusiastic curiosity to complete defensive intolerance

nope. my diet takes care of it

i find it scary how disconnected people are with their food and the planet. people don't understand how their food is processed, where it comes from, or what it does to their bodies. i believe this disconnect is the root of a multitude of social, environmental, and health problems. vegetarianism offers a compassionate (and for me, spiritual) way to reconnect

yeah i think so. im 90% sure my body has everything it needs. i just had my iron tested and it came out just fine. im actually worried about having too much bc of the amount of spinach i consume. i would love to have a full test done some day, if/when i have some extra cash.
#30 Old 01-14-2010, 09:40 AM

22[/COLOR]

8 months

]

]my eating disorder and eating out

]usually supportive

only ones I have taken before i was veggie, calcium supplement, iron, zinc and multi-vitamin

]big animal lover and don't agree with animals being killed for food

[COLOR="rgb(255, 0, 255)"]yes have a very healthy and varied diet[/COLOR]

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page