I'm eating too much fake meat. Need advice on eating more veggies. - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 12-19-2009, 02:59 AM
Veggie Regular

This is both a rant and a plea for a little advice.

I have been lacto-ovo for a little over a year now, but I'm still eating a lot of fake meat. Mostly for lunch, and not all the time, but

probably more then I need to.

I like to make something quick and easy for lunch and I don't want to stand there cooking, so I'll either have a sandwhich, a veggie burger (or something else fake-meat related) or, if they're available and look appetizing enough, leftovers. (Not a huge fan of those. Food is just better when it's right from the oven and fresh.)

The other day a family member was telling me about someone they knew who was a "real" vegetairian, going onto saying something about how this person made vegan protien drinks and how eating too much soy was bad for your hormones.

(I already knew that). They said they were just kidding about the real vegetarian comment and I knew that, but it still

irked me a little because I get comments like that a lot around here. They don't necessarily hurt my feelings, but they get

annoying, and this is from family. (They said it's to get me to be more assertive and it's not meant to be mean, but it's not helping.They just think it's funny that the vegetarian eats a lot of fake meat.)

I keep saying I need to cook more, but I never get around to it, I'm kind of lazy.

Cooking is hard work and though I'm good at it, I don't really have fun cooking. (I like to bake though, so that's kinda ironic.) You'd think it would be easier since I'm just cooking for myself (the rest of my family is omni), but it's not.

I try and "sneak" vegetables into foods I already eat, eventhough it sounds weird. I'll put some into a cheese sandwhich or

in pasta, stuff like that. This is for lunch only, usually my family cooks some sort of vegetable with dinner.

So, that's it. Not sure what anyone can do to help. I'm not very picky, but I don't like green beans, brocolli

or brussel sprouts unless they're covered in something. Not many veggies that I don't like outside of those, I think, but I detest any raw veggies (carrots especially. Love them cooked but hate them raw. Too hard to chew and swallow. To me it's like

gum, it grows in my mouth.)

Edit: I do like salad though and cole-slaw! Those are exceptions. When I said raw I was thinking of the kind of raw

veggies you find on a vegetable platter, but it's hard to think of myself eating raw vegetables that aren't in a salad.

I do like to try new foods, too.

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 12-19-2009, 03:15 AM
Beginner

What about looking at different salad recipes, some steamed vegetables recipes (getting rid of the hardness of them) - and the wide variety of quick stir fried vegetables that you often find in the Asian kitchen? Very tasty, quick to make, and cooked only shortly, retaining a lot of the good stuff. There is so much variety that you're bound to find some combinations that you like..

Or make some curries or ratatouille varieties and freeze those in one portion tupperware. That way you don't have to spend time cooking at every meal..

Have fun/enjoy..
#3 Old 12-19-2009, 03:16 AM

I know it uses raw carrot but coleslaw is nice in cheese sandwiches..

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 12-19-2009, 04:41 AM
Beginner

Make hommous or some other bean spread to put in your sandwich instead of fake meat?

Then there's our dear friend peanut butter *hugs peanut butter*

eta: and since you don't like raw vegies, you could have fruit salad with them?
#5 Old 12-19-2009, 04:45 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blobbenstein View Post

I know it uses raw carrot but coleslaw is nice in cheese sandwiches..

Oh, I'm fine with carrots in cole-slaw. It's raw baby carrots and similar things I don't like. Sounds interesting, we just got this amazing coleslaw the other day so I'll have to try it in a sandwhich.

Thanks for the suggestions everyone.
#6 Old 12-19-2009, 11:34 AM
Veggie Regular

I have a veggie salad most days for lunch but I guess that falls into the raw veggie category you don't like. How about a bean salad or pasta salad or pasta/bean salad? You could throw some veggies in with the pasta at the end of the boil so that they aren't raw. I know you don't like leftovers but how about soup? It's usually better leftover. And worth mentioning again since I could probably live off of it- hummus. IMO there is no question that can't be answered with hummus.

Nikki
#7 Old 12-19-2009, 11:46 AM
Veggie Regular

I'm a soup and/or salad person for lunch. I either make a big batch of homemade soup and use it throughout the week or Progresso has a couple nice veggie ones (lentil & vegetarian vegetable). Salads are harder for me in the winter than the summer, something about eating ice cold food. I've started plopping things like chili on them or even my veggie burger and do it up like it was a burger delux w/o the bun. I don't do this often, but for a special treat I make veggie subs (roasted red peppers, green olives, lettuce tomato and italian dressing) on a big ol fatning roll..lol YUM

Dinners are more varied. Stir fries, spaghetti squash n sauce, egg plant bruschetta/salad/soup, chili, bean burritos (good lunch too). I'm sure you'll get lots more ideas here, but this is some of what I do.
#8 Old 12-20-2009, 03:51 PM
Veggie Regular

Browsing recipezaar has helped me a lot. I'll start off with highest rated recipes using a veggie that sounds interesting and force myself to try one. Even the ones that sound like I won't like them usually surprise me Most of my hate of veggies has been my mind playing tricks on me.

Lynn

https://www.facebook.com/vigilant20

https://www.facebook.com/FrugalVegetarianRecipes

#9 Old 12-20-2009, 07:57 PM
Veggie Regular

One of the easiest and most delicious dinners we do at my house is roasted veggies. No reason it couldn't work for lunch, as well. Just throw a bunch of veggies in a baking pan with some olive oil and rosemary, salt & pepper, and throw in a hot, hot oven (450 or so) for about 20 minutes. Yum!!! We usually do sweet onions, carrots, cauliflower, potatoes, brussels sprouts, and asparagus. But you could pick & choose.
#10 Old 12-24-2009, 04:32 AM
Veggie Regular

For lunch, I fill a baggie with chopped raw veggies- mushrooms, green peppers, mung bean sprouts, green onions, chopped spinach whatever you have on hand, fill a bowl about 3/4 full with this and pour on boiling water to cover and let it steep for a few minutes. Stir in a teaspoon of miso paste and a bit of soy sauce and enjoy. Very very quick and easy and tasty. Plus very healthy.
#11 Old 12-24-2009, 05:57 AM
Veggie Regular

*is taking notes from great suggestions*

I feel you Silver, I am a "meat"-eating vegetarian too. I've been putting soy products in way too much of my stuff lately, and I've been trying to get back to some purist vegetarian fare.

As for lunch...

Peanut butter jelly time, peanut butter jelly time! That's what I eat a lot, since I can switch up the jellies, I can keep the supplies at my office, it's cheap, it takes NO time to make, you always have extra food in case someone forgets their lunch/can't go out/is starving to death, and you still have room to play with what kind of veggies you want on the side. If you already have a meatless entree, bringing in a tupper of roasted vegetables or something on the side should be no trouble.

Oh, also, cucumber sandwiches or other sandwich "spreads". You can find some really good recipes online, like roasted red pepper spread. Yum.

Smoothies are also really delicious for breakfast.
#12 Old 12-25-2009, 07:46 AM

I have a small size Zojirushi rice cooker. This thing is awesome for making a healthy veg lunch to go in just a few minutes.

I dump in some quinoa, rice and lentils, brown rice, millet etc from the little measuring cup it comes with. Fill water to a line marker in the bowl. Maybe put some canned black beans on top, and either chopped veggies or frozen veggies right out of the bag, some olive oil, some spices (I like curry type spices). Hit the cook button.

In about an hour it plays a tune when it's done. Dump in a plastic container, put in a thermal lunch bag from Walmart, enjoy hot lunch of real food 5-6 hours later with no microwave. It's got a timer, too, so you can load the cooker before bed if desired.

I do this every work day!
#13 Old 12-25-2009, 08:05 AM
Veggie Regular

I sometimes start my meals off with a light miso soup (bouillon from cooking vegetables, 1 tsp. barley miso per cup... important to add the miso at the last minute and not bring it to a boil). Then, I have a big tossed salad with bite size pieces of lettuce (torn by hand), watercress and/or mesclun greens, finely grated carrot, less finely grated red or green cabbage and daikon radish (a little goes a long way), chopped leek or onion green. Sometimes I add pieces of 1/4 an avocado and/or sunflower or lentil sprouts. The dressing I use for tossing is: 2 parts of olive or flaxseed oil to 1 part lemon juice. You can add a little salt and pepper, I myself add kelp powder and Red Star yeast flakes, a great vegan source of Vitamin B12. After that I have cooked veggies: for example, baked or boiled potato and/or other root veggies with cooked greens, or rice with stir fry veggies. On other days I start of my meal with raw veggies with a dip, say hummus or guacamole, followed by ratatouille niçoise (vegetable stew from the south of France) or chili with grain (quinoa or polenta) or pasta.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page