How old were you when you became veg*n? - Page 3 - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#61 Old 12-13-2009, 03:45 PM
Veggie Regular

The first time I went vegetarian I was 15. That lasted until I was 20.

The second (and final) time I was 38. I went vegan about a week after that. The world has changed so much. It is much easier for me to be vegan now than it was for me to be l/o 20 years ago.

Thanks VB!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#62 Old 12-13-2009, 06:35 PM

Earlier this year at 19. My body rejected meat during an illness. So I went cold-turkey and embraced vegetarianism. I was thinking about it for years, and cooked many veggie meals, but I'm glad my body told me to stop the meat.
#63 Old 12-13-2009, 09:48 PM

I went vegetarian at age 12, after hearing stories about animal sacrifices in the ancient world. I despised them vehemently. I noticed the connection to meat-eating.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#64 Old 12-15-2009, 11:14 AM
Beginner

Veggie at the age of 17.. I'm 18 now, so it's been just over a year.
#65 Old 12-15-2009, 02:55 PM
Veggie Regular

I also made the official change at 35, after eating minimal meat for years. I'm glad that I took the step.

The opposite of war isn't peace. It's creation!
#66 Old 12-15-2009, 07:02 PM
Veggie Regular

Vegetarian at 17, some relapse ages 19-21 because my then-husband prevented me from buying food I needed (some source of iron other than meat), vegan at 22.

life's not a paragraph
and death i think is no paranthesis
#67 Old 12-15-2009, 07:11 PM
Herbivorous Urchin

Quote:
"You will always be fond of me. I represent to you all the sins you never had the courage to commit.”
Oscar Wilde, The Picture of Dorian Gray
#68 Old 02-08-2010, 09:24 PM
Beginner

Well now---that's a lovely tatoo!

Perhaps I'll get something similar. Ha ha! I'll ask for something that works within the already creased skin.

At least I don't have to worry about what it'll look like in 20 years. Guffaw!
#69 Old 07-04-2012, 02:39 AM

When I was little, about 8 or so my parents were honest with me about where meat came from, it started when I asked about beef and then I started asking about other meats (me horrified, asking what animals did other meats come from!?). I don't think my parents really thought I'd give up meat when they told the truth because they were actually mad at me when I gave up all meat except for chicken and turkey. I don't know why I kept eating those two animals but I did and my parents tried to force other animals down my throat but I refused, eventually they gave up. So 8 when I gave up all but chicken and turkey and I continued to eat those meats, though not often until I became a vegetarian at 23, 2 weeks before my 24th birthday. August 5th will be 2 years and I cannot imagine ever going back. I wish I had become completely vegetarian at 8. I don't know if I will ever be vegan but maybe eventually I will.
#70 Old 07-05-2012, 08:45 AM
Riot Nrrrd

19. Just like the Paul Hardcastle song. That has nothing to do with anything, but I can't say the number nineteen without thinking of that song. Nuh-nuh-nuh-nuh-nuh-nineteen.

Dave in MPLS / DISCLAIMER: I am not an actual rooster.
"It is better to light a candle than to curse the darkness"
National Suicide Prevention Lifeline 18002738255
#71 Old 07-05-2012, 09:23 AM

flexi-vegan at 38 (the shame, right?)

#72 Old 07-05-2012, 09:31 AM
Veggie Regular

12, though I went back to eating meat (because my mother thought the protein would help me with my depression) from ages 17-20. I went vegan at 23.

#73 Old 07-06-2012, 06:41 AM
Beginner

I started beginning vegetarian at 14 years old and vegan at 21 years old. I feel really myself and I have happy to be vegan and to follow my convictions. Now all my family and friends agree with me, and accept it.

when I was a teenager It isn't been easy to make accept it to my parents. while now they eat less and less flesh! and more and more vegan products? they have realized that products derivated from animals aren't essentials, and being vegan is very tasty! :)

#74 Old 07-06-2012, 12:35 PM
Veggie Regular

Vegetarian at 20, vegan a month later.  I'm 25 now.

“May all sentient beings be free of pain and suffering.  May all sentient beings experience eternal joy and happiness.  gate gate pāragate pārasaṃgate bodhi svāhā.”
http://www.facebook.com/doktormartini
http://twitter.com/#!/MartyBaureis
http://doktormartini.tumblr.com

#75 Old 07-06-2012, 01:56 PM

I became vegetarian when I was 13, am now 18 :) but you're never too old or too young to become veg*n!

"I am who I am with no apologies" - Hayley Williams

#76 Old 07-06-2012, 02:09 PM

Vegetarian since the age of 12. Have been trying veganism since a few weeks, I am now 18

#77 Old 07-07-2012, 02:33 PM

4!  apparently

#78 Old 07-07-2012, 04:16 PM

I was 12 when I went vegetarian. :D

#79 Old 07-07-2012, 04:57 PM
Beginner

at 12 years old, did your parents accept it well? what was their reaction and behaviour toward you?

#80 Old 07-07-2012, 07:42 PM
Beginner

I was 16.

#81 Old 07-08-2012, 11:11 PM
Veggie Regular

I estimate I was ten or eleven years old. I do not remember the exact date or year, sadly.

#82 Old 07-08-2012, 11:37 PM
Arrrg! Me mateys.

Quote:
Originally Posted by *Star*Lass* View Post

Puppet Master, what were your reasons for going veggie at that age? Was it purely meat you cut out of your diet, or the other non-veggie things too, such as gelatine, leather, etc.? I'm pretty certain my friend that also went veggie at about that age did it because she didn't like meat.

I think a lot of people turn veggie because they don't like the taste or texture of meat. For those people it must be a lot easier to be vegetarian, plus it gives them a reason to research vegetarianism while the rest of us are too busy enjoying our bacon sandwiches in blind ignorance. But it means that when we eventually learn about vegetarianism and give up meat, we are giving up something we like for our morals, and that is a great thing!

I'm impressed by whatever age people turn veggie/vegan. It's just great that they have!
This reply is two and a half years late (never saw it back then I guess), and the person who asked it hasn't been around for two years, but what the hey! tongue3.gif

I didn't want to hurt animals. I didn't know about gelatin until I was 12, things like carmine and rennet I didn't learn about until I joined VB, which pretty much made a path to me becoming vegan. And I did avoid leather, fur, etc., though I remember some of my shoes did have leather on them (because I never really realized or paid attention that some shoes were made of it until I was about 11). But clothing, accessories, and whatever else, I made sure none of it was there because animals were killed. It was actually a shock to me when I joined VB and learned there were vegetarians who didn't stop buying/using leather and fur and suede and whatnot. For my whole life as a vegetarian, my thought process was that if you were a vegetarian, you obviously loved animals, and didn't want to have anything made of dead ones in addition to not eating them.

korrakorrakorrakorrakorra
#83 Old 07-09-2012, 02:04 AM

Seventeen.

#84 Old 07-09-2012, 05:25 AM
Veggie Regular

34 when I started to transition to vegetarian.  I'm 35 now and fish was the last thing to go.  I'm taking this really slowly not because I can't do cold turkey but because I want this to be a change that sticks for the rest of my life.  

The next couple of years I'm going to transition to strict vegetarian.  I doubt that I'll ever be fully vegan as I live with an omnivore (we started dating while I was still eating meat and we've been together for about 6 years).  Removing all animal products from my life still looks like a huge challenge so I'm going to see how this next transition period works out for me.  Then again turning to vegetarianism wasn't exactly the struggle I had anticipated, I just stopped eating red and white meat (apart from fish)  one day and then slowly ramped down the fish over a few months.  

#85 Old 07-09-2012, 06:26 AM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shallot View Post

34 when I started to transition to vegetarian.  I'm 35 now and fish was the last thing to go.  I'm taking this really slowly not because I can't do cold turkey but because I want this to be a change that sticks for the rest of my life.  

The next couple of years I'm going to transition to strict vegetarian.  I doubt that I'll ever be fully vegan as I live with an omnivore (we started dating while I was still eating meat and we've been together for about 6 years).  Removing all animal products from my life still looks like a huge challenge so I'm going to see how this next transition period works out for me.  Then again turning to vegetarianism wasn't exactly the struggle I had anticipated, I just stopped eating red and white meat (apart from fish)  one day and then slowly ramped down the fish over a few months.  

You know I did as you, I had a slow transition to strict vegetarianism. and in fact one's you have tried strict vegetarianism you can't go back to ovo-lacto vegetarian! now even eggs and cheese are disgusting me! 

#86 Old 07-09-2012, 10:14 PM
Beginner

Vegetarian at 14, vegan at 18. I'm now 21. (well, I turn 21 in a few days! carrot.gif)

#87 Old 07-15-2012, 02:26 PM
Beginner

I think i was 22 or 23 not sure i did it for new years just to try it out i was wondering about it. It only lasted about 6 months sadly. Moved out of the dorms and my parents house to my own apt and no clue how to cook veggie. I went back to eatting meat but then about 5ish months ago went back to veggie. I'm 25 now and dont plan to go back. I'm lacto ovo sadly i dont think i can go any farther than that since my fiance isnt a big veggie person and we cant make two seperate meals. 

Life isn't about forgetting or tuning out. It's about learning to live with and accept your worst mistakes. They are what make us all, even the gods, human. ~ Acheron

#88 Old 07-15-2012, 03:41 PM
Veggie Regular

Vegetarian when I was 17 nearly becoming 18. I became vegan at the age of 19 and now I'm 20 deciding if I'm going to be raw vegan or not. 

#89 Old 07-16-2012, 06:35 AM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by everblue1037 View Post

I think i was 22 or 23 not sure i did it for new years just to try it out i was wondering about it. It only lasted about 6 months sadly. Moved out of the dorms and my parents house to my own apt and no clue how to cook veggie. I went back to eatting meat but then about 5ish months ago went back to veggie. I'm 25 now and dont plan to go back. I'm lacto ovo sadly i dont think i can go any farther than that since my fiance isnt a big veggie person and we cant make two seperate meals. 

I think it is possible to be vegan and to live with someone who is not. you can prepare a vegan meal based on Legumes and cereals and just for you tempeh or tofu and for your fiance meat or fish. so that you can at least having a plate in common. 

and for example what is the matter if he eat a milk yogurt and you a soy yogurt? 

#90 Old 07-16-2012, 08:18 AM

Im old, 48yrs, at least I feel old because Ive  been eating such cr*p for the last few years.I was vegetarian for many years in my twenties.I was a vegan for about 3 yrs in my 30's.But family and complications happen and somehow I slid back into the burger set and now I feel lousy and look it too.So today I decided to go  back on the straight and narrow and be a vegetarian.IDK some people would say Im not because I will eat eggs(from my 3 pet hens) but  thats it.No milk products, they make me feel more lousy then meat does.And of course no meat..

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page