Lacto-vegetarian cheeses - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 10-29-2009, 12:03 PM

I know that it is hard to avoid non-vegetarian (i.e., cheeses that contain animal rennet) cheeses.

I hope that this forum thread is useful. This is certainly not a complete list.

Here is what I have found:

• All Sargento shredded and sliced cheeses are vegetarian* EXCEPT any cheeses that contain Romano, Provolone, Asiago or Jarlsberg cheeses.
  • All Horizon Organic cheeses are vegetarian*.
  • All "Amy's Kitchen" products are vegetarian*.
  • Some (maybe all) "Meijer Organics" products are vegetarian*.

I have researched this by either a) visiting the official website of the company or b) viewing the product labeling.

*"vegetarian" = foods that do not contain animal-sourced rennet.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 10-29-2009, 08:47 PM
Veggie Regular

Thanks for the list.
#3 Old 10-30-2009, 09:42 AM

Due to the hormones and antibiotics in conventional milk products, I have read that if you are going to spend extra money on organic food, this is one area where it is really worth it to do so. On that note, it is more likely that the labels on All-Natural/Organic dairy will be less cryptic and easier to identify as vegetarian-friendly, since they are marketed to a more health-conscious consumer. Just a thought.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 10-30-2009, 11:55 AM
Veggie Regular

http://www.cabotcheese.coop/pages/your_health/faqs.php

If I buy cheese I normally buy this.

"Imperfection is beauty, madness is genius and it's better to be absolutely ridiculous than absolutely boring."
 Marilyn Monroe
#5 Old 10-30-2009, 06:23 PM
Veggie Regular

Yes, don't forget Cabot cheese. It's one of the few that we will buy at my house.
#6 Old 10-30-2009, 06:40 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dunestrider View Post

I know that it is hard to avoid non-vegetarian (i.e., cheeses that contain animal rennet) cheeses.

No it isn't, they're generally marked if they're suitable for vegetarians. (Or perhaps that's just the UK and you should've posted this in a local forum)
#7 Old 10-31-2009, 12:43 PM
Veggie Regular

I've found that at organic grocery stores, the cheeses are better labeled. If you have a Whole Foods or a Trader Joe's near you, check it out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paradox View Post

No it isn't, they're generally marked if they're suitable for vegetarians. (Or perhaps that's just the UK and you should've posted this in a local forum)

Unfortunately, the US does not have such markings on most products. I don't think this thread belongs in a local forum, especially considering that there isn't just a "USA" board, it's divided into States. Plus, I bet the USA isn't the only country that doesn't have a consistent Suitable for Vegetarians label.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page