Again feeling bad on the vegetarian diet - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 10-26-2009, 12:10 PM
Banned

One thing I observed that when I always go vegetarian I last out about 3-4 weeks and then develop:

- concentration problems

- a sensation of hunger that seems to get satiated with meat

- thinking a lot about food

- protein paranoia and obsessing about weight (lost 1-2 kg but I recently had an indigestion and got very sick so I don't know, but other times when I was vegetarian I didn't lose weight)

I'm 17 and a half years old, weigh 83 kg, male I eat a varied diet of grains, beans, nuts, seeds , vegetables, fruits, eggs & cheese. And I MUST be getting enough protein since I almost eat no junk food and I AM getting enough calories.

I don't know what's wrong, is it just my body adjusting to the diet? In the past year I was like 4 weeks veggie, 4 weeks omni, I don't see any improvements though.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 10-26-2009, 12:29 PM

It doesn't work for everybody, but I never went cold turkey when I turned veg*n. I stopped eating red meat, then bird, then fish over a course of four months. Finally, cut out the fish because I didn't feel as if I wanted or needed it anymore. The rest of the stuff, like eggs and cheese, left on their own accord as well, though sometimes I eat them when I am visiting or for a treat. So, my advice would be, if your body can't handle it, it is probably because it is a sudden and shocking change, and the change keeps happening because you are going back and forth. I can't imagine going back to eating meat after going veg for a while is very good for your system, either.

If you really have cravings, try and eat some high quality mock meats than have plenty of protein -- I normally wouldn't recommend these because they have so much salt, it may help you in the long run.
#3 Old 10-26-2009, 01:58 PM
Veggie Regular

I remember when I went vegetarian I felt weak for about two weeks, my head was swimming every now and again and that sort of thing. There was nothing actually wrong, it was just psychsomatic.

Not eating meat will not stop you from concentrating, unless you aren't getting enough calories, which would account for the hunger. If you feel you need to eat meat to satiate that, first of all stop thinking that because hunger is a feeling you get when you have low blood sugar, and meat can't fix that. Try eating something that's relatively fatty, or pasta or something.

Don't worry about protein, seriously.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 10-26-2009, 02:17 PM
Banned

I just ate 130 g of tuna and felt immediately satiated. Can someone explain what's happening?
#5 Old 10-26-2009, 02:57 PM
Beginner

You ate flesh and you are letting your mind play games with your body. You don't need that stuff. Try not freaking over not eating meat. It's what's screwing you up. You need to get some good education on being a vegan and enjoy it
#6 Old 10-26-2009, 03:00 PM
Veggie Regular

How balanced is your vegetarian diet?
#7 Old 10-26-2009, 04:08 PM
Banned

I didn't make percentages of nutrients in my mind or write them down, but for example I may eat in a day:

BREAKFAST

Whole grain cereal with fruit 10% protein

LUNCH

Veg soup with bread

Sandwiches with soy paste & cheese

SNACK

Sprouted sunflower seeds/ raw peanuts

Dinner

Beans with bread (we always eat bread here in Romania, dunno how it is in other countries)
#8 Old 10-26-2009, 04:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mihai_alexandru View Post

I just ate 130 g of tuna and felt immediately satiated. Can someone explain what's happening?

Maybe next time you feel this way try eating some nuts instead. I bet you will feel better without even eating the meat.

Do you have some nuts in the pantry? Cashew, macadamia, almond, pecan, walnut, or even peanuts.

Hope you feel better soon and work out all the kinks with your new lifestyle choice.
#9 Old 10-26-2009, 04:25 PM
Veggie Regular

It sounds like you're not mentally ready to be a vegetarian.
#10 Old 10-26-2009, 04:44 PM
Veggie Regular

If that's your typical daily diet, then I would suggest some more grains (maybe some pasta or rice) as well as some veggies. Perhaps you just need a bit more filling up in general.

But, as already mentioned, it could just be in your mind. I know a few people who physically feel like they will pass out if they realize they didn't have meat that day. They tend to do it to themselves. Your body will follow your mind to a point, and it is easy to make yourself sick just because you think you are. Sometimes it's hard to break the mindset that gets reinforced for years that meat gives you energy. It may be that what you really need is a change in mindset.
#11 Old 10-26-2009, 04:56 PM
Herbivorous Urchin

I read somewhere that your body can get addicted to meat, so you may be going through a withdrawal.

When I get Vegan many moons ago, I felt hungry all the time. I wasn't actually hungry, and I was getting all I needed nutritionally. It was just adjusting.

Its all in your head, methinks.

Quote:
"You will always be fond of me. I represent to you all the sins you never had the courage to commit.”
Oscar Wilde, The Picture of Dorian Gray
#12 Old 10-26-2009, 05:04 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

BREAKFAST

LUNCH

Veg soup with bread

SNACK

Dinner

Beans with bread (we always eat bread here in Romania, dunno how it is in other countries)

maybe bulk up your meals a bit. i know i wouldn't be satisfied with just beans and bread for dinner. add more veggies at dinnertime and then more protein sources in with your lunches. have a small snack in between breakfast and lunch - fruit, a few crackers, or a nutrition bar perhaps.

make some veggie "tuna salad" (with garbanzo beans, celery, veg. mayo, etc.) or some pasta salad and you'll probably be just as full/satisfied as you were with the dead fish.

i agree with penny79, too. what is your reasoning for wanting to go vegetarian? is it because of ethics or simply for health reasons?
#13 Old 10-26-2009, 07:40 PM

I would make sure you are getting enough calories. Curries with coconut milk can help with that. Aside from that, you need to get good fats...omega 3 and omega 6, esp omega 3 which is harder to obtain in a veggie diet. I think hemp is a good source of both of these, but a bit expensive, and I read in the following article that flax oil (not the whole seeds which are hard to digest) is a pretty good source of omega 3.

http://www.womentowomen.com/healthyn...ganepadha.aspx

Additionally, you probably need a good multivitamin for your B12, which is important for vegetarians. If you can afford it, get a whole foods vitamin like New Chapter or Alive (available on Amazon or a health food store)...these are made from plants rather than synthesized in a lab, and therefore are more easily absorbed by the body. I used to supplement after becoming a vegetarian, but got head rushes when I stood up. When I switched to a whole foods vitamin, the head rushes went away.
#14 Old 10-26-2009, 08:26 PM
Banned

its most likely psychosomatic, but there could be issues around your not eating enough to get that 'full' feeling that you're used to associating with wellbeing after a meal, and not eating often enough to keep yourself going (meat is heavy and takes your body longer to digest than veggie stuff- throw some snacks in between meals to keep your eneergy levels up).

there really is nothing special in meat that isn't in other foods. honest.
#15 Old 10-27-2009, 07:36 AM
Banned

I know but veg diets simple seem to not work for me. I did a lot of reading and everything seems great with the diet, and it's not just a diet but a lifetime eating plan, not just some "diet" to lose weight or whatever, but it simply does not work for me.

I think I'll just become a pescetarian and eat fish 1 or 2 times a week. I know fish are animals too, but I tried.

And the reasons are ethical but also health since everything seems great with the diet, but I'm getting no health.
#16 Old 10-27-2009, 08:23 AM

youre a 17 year old male, you need more calories than that. beans & bread for your evening meal isnt really gonna cut it. i ate heaps more than that at your age.lol. you shouldnt obsess about protein but i do think you need to up the protein, up the carbs and calories overall. eat 5 meals per day instead of 3 and youll probably feel better.
#17 Old 10-27-2009, 10:25 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

I know but veg diets simple seem to not work for me. I did a lot of reading and everything seems great with the diet, and it's not just a diet but a lifetime eating plan, not just some "diet" to lose weight or whatever, but it simply does not work for me.

I think I'll just become a pescetarian and eat fish 1 or 2 times a week. I know fish are animals too, but I tried.

And the reasons are ethical but also health since everything seems great with the diet, but I'm getting no health.

From what you posted, it certainly doesn't look like you were eating a very balanced diet. For one it doesn't seem like you were eating enough calories (though it is hard to say for sure how much you really were getting and how much you need).

It seems like you've convinced yourself a veg diet isn't healthy. Add on top of that too few calories/not enough food and of course you're going to conclude that a veg diet isn't for you!
#18 Old 10-27-2009, 11:49 AM
Veggie Regular

I'm more energetic than most of my non-vegetarian friends. I'm not going into the science of it, I think that has been pretty well covered, but I will say simply that you can be plenty energetic and attentive without meat.

Do you get enough healthy fats and carbs? That's where your energy comes from.

Do you exercise regularly? That doesn't hurt either.

Also, hunger is largely psychological. I fast from time to time not just for the supposed health benefits, but just for the sake of training myself not to be in the habbit of submitting to cravings.

"I'm not in this world to live up to your expectations and you're not in this world to live up to mine." Bruce Lee.

"On a large enough time line, the survival rate for everyone drops to zero." Chuck Palahniuk (Fight Club)

#19 Old 10-27-2009, 11:57 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by fyvel View Post

From what you posted, it certainly doesn't look like you were eating a very balanced diet. For one it doesn't seem like you were eating enough calories (though it is hard to say for sure how much you really were getting and how much you need).

It seems like you've convinced yourself a veg diet isn't healthy. Add on top of that too few calories/not enough food and of course you're going to conclude that a veg diet isn't for you!

I agree with this. You don't need more meat, just more food.

"If we could live happy and healthy lives without harming others... why wouldn't we?" - Edgars Mission
#20 Old 10-27-2009, 03:43 PM

Quote:

Seems like you already made up your mind. It would work for you if you were eating a more balanced diet. You definitely don't eat enough vegetables. You're setting yourself up for failure with that mentality
#21 Old 10-27-2009, 04:59 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by IrieMama View Post

Seems like you already made up your mind. It would work for you if you were eating a more balanced diet. You definitely don't eat enough vegetables. You're setting yourself up for failure with that mentality

Exactly, if you go into it already telling yourself that you need meat and you can't give it up then of course you're going to end up feeling bad without it and relapsing.

It's the same thing with quitting smoking or any other dirty habit, you have to have a positive mind set and a little self discipline to stick with the change until it feels natural.

"If we could live happy and healthy lives without harming others... why wouldn't we?" - Edgars Mission
#22 Old 10-27-2009, 05:06 PM
Veggie Regular

I don't think you're eating enough food unless you're eating those foods in extremely high quantities. Teenage boys eat tons and tons and tons of food and it doesn't really look like you're having all that much. My 30 y/o fiance in one day will have like, 2 HUGE bowls of cheerios and a banana for breakfast, leftovers from dinner the night before for lunch, so usually something like an entire plate of pasta with veggies and beans and some bread, he'll grab a Clif bar or some peanut butter on toast and fruit or a yogurt and granola before he leaves for Tai Kwon Do in the evening, then he comes home and will eat dinner - something like 3/4lbs of tofu (he'd eat the whole pound but I've usually already had some), a huge pile of mashed potatoes with gravy and a mound of veggies, or a mountain of stir fry with seitan and brown rice, or two huge bowls of soup with dumplings or bread. THEN if there's dessert, he'll eat dessert too (last night it was a piece of leftover cake). He isn't even growing anymore... at least not any taller

http://megatarian.blogspot.com
#23 Old 10-27-2009, 05:41 PM

Try incorporating more fat into your diet.

As in, avocados, peanut butter, olive oil, etc.

When I first went veggie, about 2 weeks in I started feeling dizzy and weak, and having INTENSE cravings for peanut butter...constantly! I would want to eat an entire jar, it was so strange. I was also trying to lose weight at the time, and I realized that I- 1.) was not getting enough calorie, and 2.) was not getting any fat.

Once I started incorporating fats into my diet, I have felt fine ever since! For instance, I ALWAYS buy avocado and make things like burritos with avocado, refried beans and spinach- or avocado/tomato sandwiches for lunch. It's extremely satisfying!
#24 Old 10-27-2009, 05:56 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

I didn't make percentages of nutrients in my mind or write them down, but for example I may eat in a day:

BREAKFAST

LUNCH

Veg soup with bread

SNACK

Dinner

I vote with those who say you are likely not eating a diet that is properly balanced and your volume is insufficient.

Where are your vegetables? Whole grains?

As for the amount of food you're eating - unless you are eating these things in HUGE quantities you're likely not getting nearly enough calories. My 13-year-old, 102 - 105 pound (approx. 46 - 47.7 kilos) daughter eats more than that in a day - and she's a very petite young girl.

The diet also seems as though it might be really low in fat. Our bodies like, and need, a certain amount of fats. Where are your sources of essential fatty acids?

I think you've made up your mind that you don't want to be vegetarian. And that's okay. But don't make the mistake of believing that your body "needs" meat. It doesn't. But it does need, whether you eat meat or not, a well-balanced, varied diet that is sufficient in calories and nutrients.

I am the user formerly known as MrsKey
#25 Old 10-27-2009, 06:02 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsKey View Post

The diet also seems as though it might be really low in fat. Our bodies like, and need, a certain amount of fats. Where are your sources of essential fatty acids?

My diet is lower in fat than the OP, and I am female and need more fats. The best kind come from whole foods - fruits and vegetables.

but the OP gets fat from "whole" grains, cheese, soy, seeds, and nuts in the example. they might have cooked with some oil as well. looks like excess fat to me.
#26 Old 10-27-2009, 06:27 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by penny79 View Post

My diet is lower in fat than the OP, and I am female and need more fats. The best kind come from whole foods - fruits and vegetables.

but the OP gets fat from "whole" grains, cheese, soy, seeds, and nuts in the example. they might have cooked with some oil as well. looks like excess fat to me.

I suppose it depends on the amount of food he's eating. But whole grain cereal doesn't equate to whole grains and may or may not be a significant source of fat. As for the sunflower seeds and peanuts as a snack - again those may or may not be eaten in sufficient quantity to provide a significant enough source of fats - and may not be a good source for essential fatty acids.

Though that was just one possibility that I mentioned as being worth a closer look.

Over all I'd say his diet is not well-balanced and is unlikely to provide sufficient caloric intake or sufficiently varied to meet even minimal standards of nutrition.

I am the user formerly known as MrsKey
#27 Old 10-27-2009, 06:39 PM
Veggie Regular

I never expect anyone, omni or vegan, to feel well unless and until they eat 50% raw at least and lots of greens and fruit. Some people go through life thinking they are well but then experience feeling even better....worth a look, OP, to eat more greens, at least, even if cooked.
#28 Old 10-27-2009, 07:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by penny79 View Post

I never expect anyone, omni or vegan, to feel well unless and until they eat 50% raw at least and lots of greens and fruit. Some people go through life thinking they are well but then experience feeling even better....worth a look, OP, to eat more greens, at least, even if cooked.

I have yet to go grocery shopping because i'm 9 months pregnant and super lazy. Anyways, I've found in just the two days I haven't been eating fresh fruits and vegetables my energy level has DROPPED. I take at least two naps a day. It's so bad.
#29 Old 10-27-2009, 08:10 PM
Veggie Regular

Nappy-poos can be fun. I love it when it's raining! And you're pregnant! It's okay to be tired.
#30 Old 10-28-2009, 09:36 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsKey View Post

But whole grain cereal doesn't equate to whole grains and may or may not be a significant source of fat.

My whole grain cereal comes from a health company and it's with whole grains (a lot of variety) and also fruit (40%) and nuts, seeds, coconut in small quantities. 10% fat or something.

I agree that my planning may not have been too great, but as a teenager I have to rely on my parents which are omni (and they don't even eat soy, whole grain cereals, seeds, nuts)

If I had my own money maybe I could incorporate other foods in my diet, but still I do not think I would have felt a lot better.

Because I eat and eat, and still the hunger remains. If I eat meat it disappears.

I don't want to sing praises to meat, I just want to find out an explanation. Why do I feel better when I eat beef vs when I eat soy? (soy has more protein than beef)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page