I've fallen off the wagon - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 10-07-2009, 05:41 AM
Beginner

It's time to fess up, I'm not a regular contributor to VB though I check interesting stuff every now and then. But today I come to you with utter regret and sorrow...

A couple of weeks back I went out with a couple of friends and I had a meat hotdog. In my defense I was pretty wasted and didn't really know what I was doing... Nevertheless I do remember buying it and eating it, couldn't tell if I enjoyed it or not.

The next morning I started crunching some numbers in my head thinking whether I was unconsciously desiring meat again which lead me to the nearest cafeteria where tried to consume a chicken sandwich... yes, I couldn't eat it, my principles didn't allow it.

Now, I've been living life as nothing happened completely ignoring the hot dog debacle but I know in my mind that I did it and I keep calling myself a vegetarian...

What do you guys think? Should I keep calling myself a vegetarian? This event totally destroyed my vegetarian foundations and I need some veggie slap in the face or a veggie pat in the back :S
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 10-07-2009, 05:45 AM
Veggie Regular

You're still vegetarian. It's ok to slip up like that. You obviously can't bring yourself to eat meat again now, and as long as you continue to not eat meat, you're still veggie. Don't get too caught up about one little slip.
#3 Old 10-07-2009, 05:46 AM
Veggie Regular

You can't change the past, only the future. You fell off the wagon, now get back on. It doesn't really matter what you label yourself. What matters is that with every meal and every bite you choose not to consume animal flesh. You just gotta take it day by day. Hth. :]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 10-07-2009, 05:50 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larissa View Post

You're still vegetarian. It's ok to slip up like that. You obviously can't bring yourself to eat meat again now, and as long as you continue to not eat meat, you're still veggie. Don't get too caught up about one little slip.

Completely agree. Don't let one slip turn into a lifetime of miserable meat-eating!
#5 Old 10-07-2009, 05:50 AM
Ankle Biter

If being a vegetarian is truly important to you, and it sounds as though it is, perhaps you shouldn't let yourself get so completely wasted that you don't have control over what you're doing. Regret is no fun.

It is our choices that show what we truly are far more than our abilities. ~A. Dumbledore
#6 Old 10-07-2009, 06:20 AM

^ What they said
#7 Old 10-07-2009, 06:29 AM
Veggie Regular

You made a mistake and now are back on the wagon, right? If that's the case, yes, you are still a vegetarian. We've all probably done one thing or another under the influence that in the morning, we wished we hadn't.
#8 Old 10-07-2009, 06:41 AM
Banned

If you are prone to eating hot dogs while on the lash perhaps a little bit of planning may help you avoid this temptation in the future. Before you go out, have a big meal and/or put a vegetarian snack in your pocket (some peanuts, dried fruit, veggie jerky etc). This way if you're out and about and feel peckish you can snack away without bothering the hot dog seller
#9 Old 10-07-2009, 06:43 AM
Veggie Regular

Don't worry about it. Are an of us perfect? No. Don't beat yourself up. Stay healthy and stay vegetarian!
#10 Old 10-07-2009, 07:38 AM
Veggie Regular

Yep, you're a vegetarian.
#11 Old 10-07-2009, 08:07 AM
Veggie Regular

There honestly isn't one single meat item that doesn't have a faux meat equivalent, so if you have meat crazes, just know there's a veggie alternative.

You are a vegetarian, just don't eat hot dogs again...unless they're made from tofu!
#12 Old 10-07-2009, 08:31 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Treehugger267 View Post

You made a mistake and now are back on the wagon, right? If that's the case, yes, you are still a vegetarian. We've all probably done one thing or another under the influence that in the morning, we wished we hadn't.

Exactly! No one is perfect, even if they try to claim to be. You are still vegetarian.
#13 Old 10-07-2009, 10:06 AM
Veggie Regular

What was, was. What will be, will be.
#14 Old 10-07-2009, 10:10 AM
Veggie Regular

Trip ups happen and that doesn't negate all the good you've done overall as a vegetarian. What concerns me about this, however, is your attitude that "being wasted" is an excuse for not being able to control your behavior. That is so unhealthy on many levels. YOU are responsible for yourself and your actions and if you are choosing to put yourself in such a state that you are unable to control yourself or think rationally, then you're fortunate that the worst harm you did was eat a hot dog.

http://megatarian.blogspot.com
#15 Old 10-07-2009, 10:23 AM

Don't get discouraged. I think the longer you go vegetarian, it's easier not to get slipped up. I still crave meat items once and then but I've been without them for so long and the craving go away easily once the memory of the taste is somewhat half forgotten.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Licence View Post

There honestly isn't one single meat item that doesn't have a faux meat equivalent, so if you have meat crazes, just know there's a veggie alternative.

You are a vegetarian, just don't eat hot dogs again...unless they're made from tofu!

Certain vegetarian substitutes aren't readily available in some countries and even if they are available, they are inferior in terms of taste (with hot dog being one of them) than their meat counterpart.
#16 Old 10-07-2009, 01:51 PM
Veggie Regular

I agree with everyone else. You're still a vegetarian. You're just a vegetarian who made a mistake. No sense in throwing it all away because you made a bad decision when you were drunk.

I wouldn't say that you should pretend it didn't happen. Ignoring things rarely helps. Just look at it as a learning experience. You did something when you weren't thinking clearly that you wouldn't (and couldn't) do when your brain wasn't addled. In my mind, you've reaffirmed your vegetarianism by finding yourself unable to eat that chicken sandwich once your head had cleared. That's not to say that getting drunk and doing something stupid is an excuse, but sometimes it leads to you doing something you wouldn't do otherwise. You still have a stake in the outcome, but it doesn't carry as much weight as if you had a clear head and knew exactly what you were doing and chose to do it anyway. In my opinion, anyway.

Just hang in there, take a deep breath and keep moving forward.

★ Vegetarian: 7/4/07 ☆ Near-Vegan: 11/08 ☆ FINALLY VEGAN! 4/4/09 ★

♥ 4 years down and a lifetime to go! ♥
#17 Old 10-07-2009, 02:00 PM
Super Moderator

It takes a lot of self discipline and a strong desire to change the way you eat, memory associations from childhood can be strong and you are basically reprogramming your brain to think of food in a different way, so I wouldn't beat yourself up too much.

It's similar to giving up smoking in my experience, not everyone can do it cold turkey (haha) but everyone CAN do it if they stick with it.

Everyone slips, the true test of character is in how you deal with those slips and I think you handled it like a champ.

"If we could live happy and healthy lives without harming others... why wouldn't we?" - Edgars Mission
#18 Old 10-07-2009, 02:14 PM
Veggie Regular

One slip up doesn't destroy anything. How you move forward is what counts.

I do not understand/What it is I've done wrong/Full of holes/Check for pulse/Blink your eyes/One for yes/Two for no/I have no idea what I am talking about/I am trapped in this body and can't get out-Radiohead
#19 Old 10-07-2009, 02:52 PM
Veggie Regular

Vegetarianism is about intention. If you do not intend to eat meat again, you're still meatless.
#20 Old 10-07-2009, 02:53 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malcontent View Post

Certain vegetarian substitutes aren't readily available in some countries and even if they are available, they are inferior in terms of taste (with hot dog being one of them) than their meat counterpart.

That's just your opinion. There are plenty of processed items that even some omnivores like the vegetarian counterpart better than the meat-filled one.
#21 Old 10-08-2009, 06:53 AM
Beginner

Thanks everyone this really worked, helped me realise that I'll probably be a veggo for the rest of my life. Despite all the bashing against us we are better in so many ways and I promise to stay away from hotdogs forever.
#22 Old 10-08-2009, 07:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by penny79 View Post

That's just your opinion. There are plenty of processed items that even some omnivores like the vegetarian counterpart better than the meat-filled one.

Oh, you're absolutely right on that.
#23 Old 10-13-2009, 03:46 AM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Funner View Post

Thanks everyone this really worked, helped me realise that I'll probably be a veggo for the rest of my life. Despite all the bashing against us we are better in so many ways and I promise to stay away from hotdogs forever.

OK, maybe I should just mind my own business here but...

Why is it important to you to stay veggo all your life? I'm not saying that this is the wrong view, I'm just asking the question. Because if the answer is what you say in the next sentence then I'm not with you.

We're not better than anyone, we just made a choice based on our feelings and thoughts, just like everyone else.
#24 Old 10-13-2009, 04:26 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terje View Post

Why is it important to you to stay veggo all your life?

Why would it not be important for someone to stay veggie?

m8itcanw8.com
#25 Old 10-13-2009, 05:43 AM

Umm, talking of hotdogs.... FRY's Vegetarian hot dogs......ooh they are luvly, and okay for vegetarians and vegans.

http://www.beanieshealthfoods.co.uk/hotdogs.php
#26 Old 10-13-2009, 06:15 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pixelle View Post

Why would it not be important for someone to stay veggie?

Quote:
Because if the answer is what you say in the next sentence then I'm not with you.

The next sentence he is referring to is
Quote:
we are better in so many ways

in regards to people who are omnivores.

I have to agree with Terje in that we are doing the same thing they are: doing what we feel to be the correct thing. That does not make us high and mighty over others who do not agree with us.

As for staying veg your whole life: none of us can see into the future. Many people here bring up accounts of run-ins with former veg*ns. I'm sure many of those formers never thought they would be omni again for any reason. Things that are important to you one day many not be important the next when your perspective on an issue changes. The best any of us can do-veg*n or omni- is do what we believe to be right while we believe it to be right.

Quote:
Umm, talking of hotdogs.... FRY's Vegetarian hot dogs......ooh they are luvly, and okay for vegetarians and vegans.

Are they better than Yves? I think Yves is sort of nasty and was looking for another brand that might be better.
#27 Old 10-13-2009, 06:18 AM

I havent tried Yves, but FRY's are gorgeous....trust me, take a bite and see, lol. let me know how you like them
#28 Old 10-13-2009, 08:19 AM
Veggie Regular

The thing about being wasted, is .. have you noticed?... people make all kinds of decisions they would NEVER have made if sober! Marriages are ruined, lives are ruined, cars get driven into trees, taking lives, so no need to think a simple hotdog would be less likely to happen than the other bad choices one could make.

You are disturbed by the choice, and know that wasn't the real you, who is a vegetarian. I think you know what you need to do to make sure you don't lose judgement again
#29 Old 10-13-2009, 08:26 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malcontent View Post

-I know this is hard to believe, but my omni husband always hated hotdogs because they were too squishy, like biting your own arm. However, he LOVES Morning Star corn dogs! I bake them in the toaster oven till they are browned and he loves having them with Progresso Tomato soup or slaw or mac & cheese (nutritional yeast, which I actually call garlic pasta, so as not to bring up as comparison with mac & cheese for him - and he loves them)

PS - since I edited this to put in the brand name of the corn dogs, I'll add that I think the original poster meant BETTER OFF for our decision, not superior. It is a better lifestyle for all - the earth, the planet and the animals.
#30 Old 10-13-2009, 09:25 AM

morningstar stopped making corndogs :[

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page