Question??? [does the smell of meat make you feel sick?] - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 10-06-2009, 09:53 PM

So my husband is eating his dinner, turkey filled with ketchup and he was sitting next to me. Then all of the sudden my stomach was feeling weird and the smell was getting worse an worse and I couldn't take it. I mean he asked if I do mind at first but I lied cause my feet were killin me and I didn't want to move and the plate was next to me, so it was so bad.. I was done with reading something and I almost ran out the room and I still smelled it.... I felt like throwing up..

Is this normal? When your vegetarian for awhile and you smell chicken or turkey, does it make you sick??
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 10-06-2009, 09:54 PM
Herbivorous Urchin

Some people yes, some people no.

It's mostly psychological I think.

Quote:
"You will always be fond of me. I represent to you all the sins you never had the courage to commit.”
Oscar Wilde, The Picture of Dorian Gray
#3 Old 10-06-2009, 10:03 PM
Veggie Regular

Some meat smells don't bother me, some do... sometimes I can tolerate it, sometimes I can't, etc... I'm kind of random and weird w/all smells though.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 10-06-2009, 10:53 PM
Veggie Regular

Often the look of it makes me sick. I was just web surfing and I came across a page for Britains largest burger (2600 cals!). Anyway just the sight of it made me queasy.
#5 Old 10-07-2009, 12:44 AM

Sometimes the smell of cooking meat does or bbq makes my stomach queasy or makes me sick other times no....but it grosses me out always!!
#6 Old 10-07-2009, 12:52 AM
Lifelong vegetarian

I am not confronted very much with the smell of fear.

My usual answer: I have never heard a convincing reason to eat meat.
#7 Old 10-07-2009, 01:53 AM

I don't have a severe reaction like you did but I really don't find it to be a nice smell. I hate bacon smell.

Edit: I was just thinking about how some pregnant women experience this too. I've heard of people not being able to walk past butcher's shops either (and they were not even vego).
#8 Old 10-07-2009, 07:23 AM

I can't stand the look of meat. The smell of pig is really gross too. I like the smell of chicken though.
#9 Old 10-07-2009, 10:46 AM

It's kind of odd. When my family is having some sort of meat for supper (along with other stuff) the smell of not just the meat, but the meal, too, makes me feel at home. It's hard to say whether the smell of meat grosses me out or not because it's usually mixed with other things. so I don't really know.
#10 Old 10-07-2009, 11:00 AM

I assume you grew up eating meat? I did and I find the meats that I used to eat I enjoy the smell of. Where as I never ate ham or bacon, I can't stand the smell.
#11 Old 10-07-2009, 12:11 PM
Veggie Regular

Smells only bothered me that much when I was pregnant.
#12 Old 10-07-2009, 12:37 PM
Veggie Regular

The only smells I absolutely cannot stand are bacon and raw meat. All the others I can just about tolerate.
#13 Old 10-07-2009, 01:25 PM
Veggie Regular

the only time I smell bacon is in the office (breakfast butties) and at my mum's house. It does repulse me - I can't bear being in the kitchen if mum is cooking it, as the smell clings to my clothes & hair.

I can always tell I'm close to a butchers, now that smell really turns my stomach - presumably its the blood ? I used to have to walk past an abattoir when I lived at home, maybe that's when I subconsciously started to turn vegetarian.
#14 Old 10-07-2009, 02:59 PM
Veggie Regular

Strangely, only some meats make me sick, smell-wise. Salmon gets me big time and shrimp, too, which is particularly surprising since I loved the smell (and taste) of shrimp as an omni. Salmon, not so much.

Boiled chicken bothers me, but not baked or fried chicken. I had that reaction as an omni, too, though, only not as strongly. I'm not sure what the difference is between the different kinds of cooking, but it has a different smell and the boiled smell really bothers me.

Beef still smells good to me and so do lobster, crab and turkey. Bacon is good and so is sausage. Pork chops, ham and other forms of pork other than bacon make me a little queasy.

It seems to be an evolving thing with me. Some forms of meat don't bother me and then suddenly they'll start to make me feel a little sick. It took a long time for any of them to start bothering me, though. I didn't have that reaction to any form of meat for over a year. The sight of meat (especially meat with visible bones or fat) made me sick before then, but not the smell.

★ Vegetarian: 7/4/07 ☆ Near-Vegan: 11/08 ☆ FINALLY VEGAN! 4/4/09 ★

♥ 4 years down and a lifetime to go! ♥
#15 Old 10-07-2009, 03:59 PM

Yeah, I went veggie when I was 12 (at least I think, it's hard to remember), so before that I ate meat. I never ate bacon either and can't stand the smell of it, but other meats are okay.
#16 Old 10-07-2009, 07:43 PM
Veggie Regular

Cooked meats no but raw meats yes. The smell of seafood makes me gag. I seriously can't stomach the smell of it.
#17 Old 10-07-2009, 08:25 PM
Beginner

i still like the smell of meat
#18 Old 10-07-2009, 08:49 PM
Beginner

The smell of all meats now grosses me out.

ESPECIALLY any kind of fish. 3 times now, I've come home (or gone to a friend's house) and honestly thought that something was wrong with their sewage or plumbing.. when it was just fish cooking. Grosss.
#19 Old 10-14-2009, 05:16 PM

Yes, the smell of roasting flesh makes me nauseous.
#20 Old 10-14-2009, 09:35 PM

The smell of ham is the worst. I was sitting next to my bf at a restaurant and he was eating a pizza with ham on it and it turned my stomach so much that I had to stop eating. My mom (who listened to me and is veggie now too) also smelled it from across the table and it had the same effect on her.

I've also noticed since going vegan that the smell of cheese is ridiculously strong. Even if I can't see it or anything, I can smell it from across the room. My family thinks I'm crazy because of this, but I can always point out when they're eating cheese.
#21 Old 10-15-2009, 12:06 AM
Veggie Regular

I can't stand the smell of meat that hasn't got much flavouring, especially if it's roasted/ing. If it's being cooked with something else (like in bolognaise sauce, burritos, soup etc.) I smell mostly the something else, and that's okay.
#22 Old 10-15-2009, 01:55 AM
Banned

Doesn't really bother me. Mayonnaise, on the other hand,
#23 Old 10-15-2009, 09:44 AM
Veggie Regular

I've always had a difficult relationship with meat. I have a very strong sense of smell. I don't think it has changed since I went veggie. I can't always predict what will turn my stomach and what will smell great. I can say with 100% centainty that the red meat "bloody" smell always bothers me in the kitchen.

The opposite of war isn't peace. It's creation!
#24 Old 10-15-2009, 09:49 AM
Beginner

I grew up on meat so the smell isn't really disgusting to me. If I see meat though, a lot of times I'll associate meat with those videos online that show the animals dying and suffering and stuff, so that definitely puts me off. But I wouldn't say I get physically sick by the smell or anything. I guess it's different for everyone. I've meet someone who can't even pass by the meat section in the supermarket without getting really pale and sickly looking lol he has to find other routes down different aisles so he won't pass by the meat :P
#25 Old 10-15-2009, 11:45 AM
Veggie Regular

The question "does the smell of meat make me feel sick?" No, not physically. Sea food grosses me out and foods that look like the actual animal (ie, chicken leg) but that doesn't make me actually sick.

Depending on the situation, meat either makes me grossed out, sad or mad.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page