"Meat, poultry, and seafood." - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 09-21-2009, 10:48 PM
Beginner

Does this phrase bother anyone else, or is it just me?

I mean, helloo. It's all MEAT to me. They are all bits of flesh that come from something that was once alive. It doesn't matter how big the serving of meat is or where it comes from (water, land). It's all the same, in my opinion.

I understand the need to differentiate between the types of meat, but by saying "meat, poultry and seafood", it just continues to convince omnivores (and certain veg*n's, I suppose) that chicken and things from the sea are not meat. Can't we at least call it something else? Like.. land-meat and sea-meat. Horrible names, yes, but I'm currently at a loss.

I don't know. The whole things just drives me insane. Especially when I see it in magazines.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 09-21-2009, 10:54 PM
Veggie Regular

I can see how it would perpetrate some peoples perception that chicken and fish aren't meat when labeling it like that is so common. They just aren't making the connection.
#3 Old 09-22-2009, 01:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by amaroque View Post

I can see how it would perpetrate some peoples perception that chicken and fish aren't meat when labeling it like that is so common. They just aren't making the connection.

Yep. That's it. I'd understand if the more general division was "red meat/white meat", but "meat, poultry and seafood" is pure nonesense. Are they implying a fish is the same as an octopus? This only serves to misinform everyone, including some "veg*ans".
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 09-22-2009, 02:17 AM
Banned

I used to go to a small Mexican taco bar in California that gave you the choice of 'ground beef, ground chicken, ground pork or ground meat'. We never had the nerve to ask what the 'ground meat' was...
#5 Old 09-22-2009, 09:59 AM
Veggie Regular

And just to add another twist... according to the US government, rabbits are poultry.

As I once said to a friend of mine who actually cooked rabbits on a spit for a Renaissance Faire, "Some of my best friends have been rabbits."

--Fromper

#6 Old 09-24-2009, 11:44 AM
Riot Nrrrd

I prefer 'flesh, fish, and fowl'. Sounds better. Got that alliteration thing goin on ...

Mainstream cookbooks use these categories. Well, they get a little finer grained - beef, pork, chicken, dairy, eggs, vegetables ... At least some do, others use categories based on which meal the dish is for, some by which component of a multi-course meal ... Sorry, I'm rambling

'Animal products' works for vegans ... can't think of a quick simple term lacto-vegetarians and lacto-ovos can use

Dave in MPLS / DISCLAIMER: I am not an actual rooster.
"It is better to light a candle than to curse the darkness"
National Suicide Prevention Lifeline 18002738255
#7 Old 09-24-2009, 04:11 PM
Kyo
Veggie Regular

I've seen people on vegetarian forums say that they don't eat anything with a face. I think that covers almost everything.
#8 Old 09-24-2009, 04:13 PM

I consider it all meat. what I REALLY hate is when people say "I don't eat any meat but I do eat fish (or chicken or some type of sea animal or whatever)"
#9 Old 09-24-2009, 04:13 PM
Veggie Regular

I think semi recently deceased animals would work for vegetarians.
#10 Old 09-24-2009, 04:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyo View Post

I've seen people on vegetarian forums say that they don't eat anything with a face. I think that covers almost everything.

Oysters, clams, calamari, conch ...
#11 Old 09-24-2009, 07:45 PM
Veggie Regular

Conchs and calamari (squid) do have eyes and heads if not a face.
#12 Old 09-24-2009, 11:12 PM
Veggie Regular

I understand why some people leave seaweed out of it. But meat and poultry? It sure bothers me because they don't consider dead birds the same as dead cows.

^Cool story, bro
#13 Old 09-25-2009, 12:19 AM
Lifelong vegetarian

My usual answer: I have never heard a convincing reason to eat meat.
#14 Old 09-25-2009, 12:21 AM
Banned

plants have faces. and actually if you did research, you would find that most of the plant parts that we humans eat are actually the REPRODUCTIVE organ of the plant. So hence, by eating it, you just ruined the poor plants chance of reproduction..
#15 Old 09-25-2009, 06:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrFalafel View Post

I used to go to a small Mexican taco bar in California that gave you the choice of 'ground beef, ground chicken, ground pork or ground meat'. We never had the nerve to ask what the 'ground meat' was...

exactly...sheesh maybe I am afraid to ask....lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fromper View Post

And just to add another twist... according to the US government, rabbits are poultry.

As I once said to a friend of mine who actually cooked rabbits on a spit for a Renaissance Faire, "Some of my best friends have been rabbits."

--Fromper

wow thats one I havent heard before....thats a sad story about the Faire
#16 Old 10-02-2009, 05:00 AM
Veggie Regular

I think "meat" has come to mean "red meat", and people are easily confused between the two. Or if you say "meat" and then list certain types of meat you would assume that the "meat" means meat other than those ones mentioned. It makes sense to distinguish between fish, other seafood, poultry, and red meat because they have different textures. Rabbit flesh has a similar texture to most birds' flesh, so it would probably taste like "poultry".

Couldn't vegetarians just say they don't eat animals? None of this face business :P
#17 Old 10-02-2009, 08:11 AM

How could anyone possibly believe that a chicken is not meat? I mean they walk and they have a head and eyes and feet..............they have emotions..............I dont see how anyone could eat them and call themselves a vegetarian. In my opinion, there is no difference in eating a chicken or eating my parakeet.
#18 Old 10-02-2009, 08:52 AM
Veggie Regular

As someone who grew up in a gourmet family, this meat/poultry/seafood thing really doesn't bother me at all. I don't get emotionally involved with the eating habits of other people.

To me, they're just words.

I don't go around saying stuff like "I don't eat animals" or "I don't eat dead flesh" or "I don't eat anything with a face"....I usually just say, "I'm vegetarian," and even hicks down here in Dixie know what a vegetarian is. There's no need (in my opinion) to be snarky about it with omnis. I have honestly not had any problems with people thinking I would still eat chicken as a vegetarian.

My father did ask me why I didn't eat seafood though - and I simply told him I was a vegetarian, not a pescatarian. The "veg" stands for "vegetation".

#19 Old 10-02-2009, 10:07 AM
Riot Nrrrd

Quote:
The "veg" stands for "vegetation".

Some theories are that the 'veg' comes from 'vegetus', 'life'. Vegetarian and vegetation share a common root but one doesn't necessarilly derive from the other. The first widespread use - by the Vegetarian Society - defines what vegetarians do not eat (and is the source of 'flesh, fish, or fowl' that I mentioned) rather than what they do. The fact that the majority of vegetarians consume dairy and/or eggs makes me skeptical of any theories that link 'vegetable' and 'vegetarian' in anything like a direct derivation. And, given that many vegetarians in the 19th century when the word was coined could be termed (affectionately ) 'health nuts' the vegetus (which has a connotation of health/vigor/vitality) origin makes a lot of sense.

I obviously think too much about this stuff So does this guy: http://polyglotveg.blogspot.com/2009/06/vegetus.html. He doesn't really buy the vegetus origin and knows much more about this stuff than I do, but I stand my interpretation nonetheless.

#20 Old 10-02-2009, 10:09 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Some theories are that the 'veg' comes from 'vegetus', 'life'. Vegetarian and vegetation share a common root but one doesn't necessarilly derive from the other. The first widespread use - by the Vegetarian Society - defines what vegetarians do not eat (and is the source of 'flesh, fish, or fowl' that I mentioned) rather than what they do. The fact that the majority of vegetarians consume dairy and/or eggs makes me skeptical of any theories that link 'vegetable' and 'vege

I wasn't being serious - that's just what I (jokingly) tell omnis.
#21 Old 10-02-2009, 10:21 AM
Riot Nrrrd

You even did a smiley. I should read more carefully. But how often, really, does knowing anything at all about this come in handy? Jumped at the chance ...

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page