Great places to eat out for vegetarians? - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 09-19-2009, 11:05 AM

I know this must have been done like millions of time before but i am pretty new to vegetarianism and pretty nervous about asking when i go out to eat. I know what i am avoiding and know to ask about the oils that they cook in and if any animal fats are used, but was just hoping someone could give me a heads up on some places that are well known for doing great dishes.

I am pretty nervous about asking so any help will be much appreciated xx
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 09-19-2009, 05:23 PM
Veggie Regular

it depends on where you live. if you go a bit farther down the forum there's a section for different locations, and you can find people where you live to give suggestions.
#3 Old 09-19-2009, 05:56 PM
Veggie Regular

First and foremost dont be afraid to ask questions here , and secondly you have to mention what city you live in or atleast list it on your profile so your question can be answered sufficiently .

If you live in Los Angeles then ive got a long list for you .
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 09-20-2009, 01:16 PM
Beginner

I agree with Rockindancer86 that it really depends where you live because I have found that chains are the worst type of places to find something delicious that is vegetarian so I rarely visit those type of places. Local, ethnic restaurants always have the best selection.

If you are in the Chicago area I have some good ones!
#5 Old 09-20-2009, 01:19 PM
Herbivorous Urchin

Tee hee, Farmers Markets :P

Quote:
"You will always be fond of me. I represent to you all the sins you never had the courage to commit.”
Oscar Wilde, The Picture of Dorian Gray
#6 Old 09-20-2009, 04:37 PM
Veggie Regular

Mongolian BBQ!

I'm also a huge fan of any place that has a large salad bar.

But like it was said earlier, it's hard to make good recommendations without knowing which country you're in.
#7 Old 09-20-2009, 05:02 PM
Veggie Regular

Welcome to VB!

I have a good list of awesome places to eat in Austin, TX. Where do you live?
#8 Old 09-21-2009, 10:16 AM
Veggie Regular

Check out http://www.happycow.net/. You can search for veg or veggie friendly restaurants, health food stores, etc. near you.
#9 Old 09-21-2009, 11:04 AM

I second Mrs. Skittles. Happy Cow is a great resource!

I find that I have better luck with individually owned places. They tend to know their menu items better (so you can ask what's in it without them going back to the kitchen) or they already have something designated on their menu.

I agree with everyone else on chains. I have some of my worst experiences eating out at chains. It can still be done, but at those places I tend to stick to side dishes.
#10 Old 09-21-2009, 03:57 PM
Veggie Regular

There's a 'Master List of Veggie Restaurants' marked as important in this forum

Plus loads of websites that list veggie friendly places in your area. A quick google search does the trick. You can even call the restaurant beforehand to see how well they cater for veggies - a wise decision when you're trying somewhere for the first time.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
#11 Old 09-23-2009, 07:22 AM

I personally love Max n Erma's blackbean veggie burger. The only issue I have is that it used to come on a whole wheat role, but now it comes on white. Another good place to try is the Cheesecake Factory. They have a huge menu with lots of already veg and easy to veg*nize options.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page