Vegetarians have it SO easy these days! - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 09-18-2009, 09:41 AM

Vegetarians have is SO easy these days!

1. Mainstream restaurant chains like Burger King and Denny's have veggie burgers available. Subway has their Veggie Delite sandwiches. Taco Bell has their Bean Burritos. And so on, an on and on.
  2. Morningstar Farms, Loma Linda, Boca and GardenBurgers, et al, has their fake burgers, bacon, chicken, ribs and breakfast sausage. LightLife has vegetarian hot dogs, bologna, "ham" and "turkey" lunch meat. Et cetera, et cetera, et cetera.
  3. Tell anyone you are a vegetarian these days, and hardly anyone blinks an eye. At the most, they will tell you that their sister-in-law, cousin or whatever is a vegetarian.

But back in the day (early 70's), it wasn't so easy.

1. Only a few college towns were lucky enough to have a vegetarian restaurant or a Hare Krishna temple (with their free vegetarian Food for Life lunches or their Sunday feasts).
  2. There were absolutely no soy-based fake meat products; you had to cook everything from scratch.
  3. If you told someone back then that you were a vegetarian, the typical reaction was like the reaction the protagonist from the movie "Everything Is Illuminated" got from his Russian hosts when they learned he was a vegetarian: "He is insane".

So I don't want to hear anybody complaining about how hard it is to be a vegetarian. Capiche?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 09-18-2009, 09:46 AM
Veggie Regular

Ha, so very true...... and don't forget, there was no internet back then! That's a great resource for meeting like-minded people, and getting advice and encouragement.

So, what i want to know is...... what was it like being veggie before the internet was around?
#3 Old 09-18-2009, 09:50 AM

We had a thing called the "Whole Earth Catalog". If you don't know what that was, Google it.

Apple founder and entrepreneur Steve Jobs has described the Catalog as the conceptual forerunner of the World Wide Web.

But you bring up a great point! The internet has made it even easier to be a vegetarian!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 09-18-2009, 09:51 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dunestrider View Post

1. Only a few college towns were lucky enough to have a vegetarian restaurant or a Hare Krishna temple (with their free vegetarian Food for Life lunches or their Sunday feasts).
  2. There were absolutely no soy-based fake meat products; you had to cook everything from scratch.
  3. If you told someone back then that you were a vegetarian, the typical reaction was like the reaction the protagonist from the movie "Everything Is Illuminated" got from his Russian hosts when they learned he was a vegetarian: "He is insane".

Plus you had to walk up-hill, both ways, through the snow, without shoes just to get to the farmers market. Kids these days just don't know how good they got it!
#5 Old 09-18-2009, 10:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AddieB View Post

Plus you had to walk up-hill, both ways, through the snow, without shoes just to get to the farmers market. Kids these days just don't know how good they got it!

I wouldn't know, I was raised in an orphanage in London, where we had to beg... oh, wait, that was a movie I watched. Never mind.

#6 Old 09-18-2009, 10:16 AM
Super Moderator

Even in just the 8 years that I've been a veggie I've seen a huge shift in cultural acceptance.

More and better products keep being released, new books keep coming out (like Skinny ***** and the Veganomicon) and over the years the reactions when people find out I don't eat meat have been getting less and less shocked or rude or defensive. It's WONDERFUL!

"If we could live happy and healthy lives without harming others... why wouldn't we?" - Edgars Mission
#7 Old 09-18-2009, 10:21 AM
Riot Nrrrd

Pre-internet most vegetarians relied on magazines, things called cookbooks (those are still around, but were MUCH less lavish looking), and word of mouth ....

Actually, 20 years ago was not quite as difficult as before (so I'm told by my elders ) but more difficult than today. I can generally find whole sections of vegetarian-friendly products even in mainstream supermarkets, in the late 80s I'd have to go to a co-op or health food store.

Dave in MPLS / DISCLAIMER: I am not an actual rooster.
"It is better to light a candle than to curse the darkness"
National Suicide Prevention Lifeline 18002738255
#8 Old 09-18-2009, 11:05 AM
Veggie Regular

oh yeah, so much better now with processed foods causing as much cancer in vegos as meat eaters.
#9 Old 09-18-2009, 11:12 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by adam antichrist View Post

oh yeah, so much better now with processed foods causing as much cancer in vegos as meat eaters.

You're just a warm little ball of sunshine.

"If we could live happy and healthy lives without harming others... why wouldn't we?" - Edgars Mission
#10 Old 09-18-2009, 11:40 AM
Riot Nrrrd

The same co-op->supermarket thing occured with less-processed and/or organically certified foods as well.

Dave in MPLS / DISCLAIMER: I am not an actual rooster.
"It is better to light a candle than to curse the darkness"
National Suicide Prevention Lifeline 18002738255
#11 Old 09-18-2009, 12:19 PM
adapt. evolve. become

I personally wouldn't trust a fast food restuarant, but I agree - there are so many veg*n options out there. It's awesome!

All we are is dust in the wind
#12 Old 09-18-2009, 12:26 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

Vegetarians have is SO easy these days!

1. Mainstream restaurant chains like Burger King and Denny's have veggie burgers available. Subway has their Veggie Delite sandwiches. Taco Bell has their Bean Burritos. And so on, an on and on.
  2. Morningstar Farms, Loma Linda, Boca and GardenBurgers, et al, has their fake burgers, bacon, chicken, ribs and breakfast sausage. LightLife has vegetarian hot dogs, bologna, "ham" and "turkey" lunch meat. Et cetera, et cetera, et cetera.
  3. Tell anyone you are a vegetarian these days, and hardly anyone blinks an eye. At the most, they will tell you that their sister-in-law, cousin or whatever is a vegetarian.

Entirely true. I'm just waiting for the time when being vegan will be like this too! I'd say at the moment it's about halfway between these two situations (at least for me in the UK. If you live in, say, Texas I understand it's a bit more like the second one).

Seeing how far vegetarianism has got compared to just 30 years ago (not that I remember it, but I've been told ) makes me feel optimistic.
#13 Old 09-18-2009, 02:22 PM
Veggie Regular

Actually it varies a lot between countries. In Portugal, things between those two situations, and maybe closer to the second (early 70's) description.

Only cities have some vegan products (at health stores) and the bigger markets also have some vegan products. But you only find them in some cities.

Only big cities have vegetarian restaurants (and only a few also serve vegan options).

And people still blink an eye...

I'll move when I'll finish my course
#14 Old 09-18-2009, 02:25 PM
Veggie Regular

I don't eat any of those processed junk foods and I still find veganism easy! *dancing cantelope*
#15 Old 09-18-2009, 05:45 PM
Veggie Regular

yeah... that may apply to some countries, but not to Japan!

The only dairy-free SOY milk is plain unsweetened (beans and water). Even plain sweetened has dairy in it. I recently found out there is one vegetarian (vegan?) tofu restaurant (expensive) near the temple, but that's it.

No vegan chocolate , the soy yogurt has gelatin in it, no prepackaged food (better for me anyway), no mock meats, and restaurants are particularly fun.

BUT, thanks to Teh Interwebz, I can order veggie food for delivery. But it's godawful expensive.
#16 Old 09-18-2009, 06:38 PM

Quote:

Tell anyone you are a vegetarian these days, and hardly anyone blinks an eye. At the most, they will tell you that their sister-in-law, cousin or whatever is a vegetarian.

I wish this was true, but we have tons of threads on here that say differently.
#17 Old 09-18-2009, 10:41 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Werewolf Girl View Post

You're just a warm little ball of sunshine.

sadly, many people are blissfully ignorant and think that being vegetarian automatically reduces your risks of diseases such as gastrointestinal cancers. It doesn't and the studies which showed it did were based on cohorts beginning in the 1980's before there were so many veg friendly processed foods available. Now the most recent update to the Oxford vegetarian study showed that despite what they found previously, vegos had higher rates of bowel cancer than meateaters. This is almost certainly due to the increased consumption of saturated fats found in processed foods.

Better to be real than real happy if it means ignoring the facts. It's our friends that will be dying if we don't tell them what's what.
#18 Old 09-19-2009, 04:20 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

sadly, many people are blissfully ignorant and think that being vegetarian automatically reduces your risks of diseases such as gastrointestinal cancers. It doesn't and the studies which showed it did were based on cohorts beginning in the 1980's before there were so many veg friendly processed foods available. Now the most recent update to the Oxford vegetarian study showed that despite what they found previously, vegos had higher rates of bowel cancer than meateaters. This is almost certainly due to the increased consumption of saturated fats found in processed foods.

Better to be real than real happy if it means ignoring the facts. It's our friends that will be dying if we don't tell them what's what.

You give up meat/dairy/eggs, and you still get people criticising what you eat

I think you've missed a huge point...... that most veg*ns aren't veg*n for their health. I'm not denying that eating natural foods is healthier... it is whatever your dietary preference. But meat subs have a variety of uses, such as aiding in transition, and adding variety to meals. I have a feeling that if it weren't for meat subs (and other subs) there'd be a lot less veg*ns around. Would you prefer that? Or can we enjoy life a little?

Dunestrider, i've never heard of that, i'll check it out
#19 Old 09-19-2009, 04:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by *Star*Lass* View Post

I think you've missed a huge point...... that most veg*ns aren't veg*n for their health.

I am vegan and I am not particularly worried about the health aspect. I don't know many veg-type people that sit around eating total junk food all day either.

I think vegetarians and vegans have it so much easier nowadays with products like soya milk available in many shops and vegetarian ready meals and mock meats. I still think it could get a lot better though, especially in choices for vegans in omni restaurants. I also would like to see the price of fruit and vegetables decrease. That would benefit everyone.
#20 Old 09-19-2009, 04:39 AM
Veggie Regular

fine. eat **** and get cancer and have a happy life. And I bet taco bells will be happy they sucked a few dollars out of you while you were still able to eat solid foods.
#21 Old 09-19-2009, 05:02 AM
Banned

If people are gonna eat processed, fatty foods I would much rather it was veg*n processed, fatty food than omni. I'm not veg*n for health reasons and I think veg*n mock meats are great if they help people transition or curb their cravings.
#22 Old 09-19-2009, 05:22 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

fine. eat **** and get cancer and have a happy life. And I bet taco bells will be happy they sucked a few dollars out of you while you were still able to eat solid foods.

I don't eat ****, i eat meat subs occasionally. There is such thing as eating in "moderation". Eating a few meat subs is nothing like living off ready meals. I have a very healthy diet actually, but i'm not a health freak.
#23 Old 09-19-2009, 06:13 AM

Quote:

No idea what Taco Bell is, I'm from the UK. I do eat healthily a lot of the time but it isn't my primary reason for being a vegan, in fact I don't think any vegan is a vegan for health reasons personally. Getting cancer isn't something I particularly worry about. I'm not going to lose sleep because I eat mock meats a few times a month.
#24 Old 09-19-2009, 06:18 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by *Star*Lass* View Post

I don't eat ****, i eat meat subs occasionally. There is such thing as eating in "moderation". Eating a few meat subs is nothing like living off ready meals. I have a very healthy diet actually, but i'm not a health freak.

There are people who will need to avoid processed foods even if they are veg and you may be one of these people without knowing it. I get the impression most of the regs here are pretty young, and nobody worries about dietary health when young. But most of us can see what we need to be careful for by looking at the incidence of disease in our families. Some people will never get bowel cancer no matter how much **** they eat, meat included. But others are at increased risks due to their DNA. IIRC Colon cancer is the result of 6 genetic mutations in the cells of the colon, and some people may already have several of these mutations when they are born.

The trouble is, most new vegos get their info off other vegos and most other vegos don't know as much as they think they do about healthy foods due to the significant amount of misinformation floating around the web. The bowel cancer stuff is new, it was only published earlier this year. There are lots of vegos who may be compromising their health by eating rubbish from the frozen foods section or McDeath chains that can easily be avoided. I am concerned that vego diets will stop having the health benefits we have enjoyed because more of these harmful products are consumed and cause all sorts of health problems in vegos that we have until now been avoiding.

So who really cares whether being vego is more convenient if it is becoming more harmful? Is the only concern we have increasing the numbers of vegos at the risk of their health?
#25 Old 09-19-2009, 06:43 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

So who really cares whether being vego is more convenient if it is becoming more harmful? Is the only concern we have increasing the numbers of vegos at the risk of their health?

Agreed! I fully admit that I am not an ethical veggie, I am a health veggie. Just because you are not worried about your health right now, please learn about reading nutritional information. It will add years to your life.

The opposite of war isn't peace. It's creation!
#26 Old 09-19-2009, 07:05 AM
Veggie Regular

I am concerned about my health now. But i also want a happy life, even if that means cutting it short by a couple of years. I don't drink much or smoke, and i've given up so many foods i love and have to watch everyone around me enjoying them in ignorant bliss. So i will have that meat sub / vegan icecream / chocolate bar!

I understand what you're saying adam, but, for the record, i was never referring to eating at MacDonald's or anywhere like that. Anything from those places is bad for you, not just the meat subs.
#27 Old 09-19-2009, 07:14 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

There are people who will need to avoid processed foods even if they are veg and you may be one of these people without knowing it. I get the impression most of the regs here are pretty young, and nobody worries about dietary health when young. But most of us can see what we need to be careful for by looking at the incidence of disease in our families. Some people will never get bowel cancer no matter how much **** they eat, meat included. But others are at increased risks due to their DNA. IIRC Colon cancer is the result of 6 genetic mutations in the cells of the colon, and some people may already have several of these mutations when they are born.

The trouble is, most new vegos get their info off other vegos and most other vegos don't know as much as they think they do about healthy foods due to the significant amount of misinformation floating around the web. The bowel cancer stuff is new, it was only published earlier this year. There are lots of vegos who may be compromising their health by eating rubbish from the frozen foods section or McDeath chains that can easily be avoided. I am concerned that vego diets will stop having the health benefits we have enjoyed because more of these harmful products are consumed and cause all sorts of health problems in vegos that we have until now been avoiding.

I am fully aware of the bowel cancer research. I heard about that when it came out. Most of us also know that real food is good for us, processed food is not. And even if we're not health vegetarians, most of us are aware that some degree of paying attention to your health is necessary in the long run. We're not all idiots.

You're totally correct in saying that we shouldn't eat all that processed cr*p. I miss it, but I realize that it's better that I live in a place that doesn't have it because then I'm forced to eat real food, which I know perfectly well is better for me.

That said, I don't think there's anything wrong with the OCCASIONAL processed food. Don't live off it, don't rely on it. More than twice a week may well be too much. But occasionally, moderately, a little processed stuff here and there is fine in my opinion. If you're genetically predisposed to get a disease, you're going to get it. If you're not, small, infrequent amount of something like that are UNLIKELY (not 100%, of course) to cause those diseases.

It's also a good option for those transitioning from a meat-based or junk-food based diet.

My health is very important to me. I'm acutely aware of how valuable and fragile it is. But I don't think the occasional less-than-healthy choice is going to ruin it.
#28 Old 09-19-2009, 07:29 AM
Veggie Regular

I went veg in 94 and still couldn't buy veggie burgers, or vegetable broth, or any other vegetarian "specialty" item anywhere. It has been interesting watching the availability of food evolve over the past 15 yrs.

http://megatarian.blogspot.com
#29 Old 09-19-2009, 08:15 AM

Quote:

wow, someone needs to calm down.
#30 Old 09-19-2009, 08:55 AM
adapt. evolve. become

Seriously. :/

All we are is dust in the wind

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page