Vegetarians have it SO easy these days! - Page 2 - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#31 Old 09-19-2009, 12:29 PM

A lot of messages to this thread seem to boil down to two issues:

1) Is a vegetarian diet better for your health?

or

2) Is a vegetarian diet better for other living entities?

I choose option 2.

If you are obsessed with option 1 (that is, you are only worried about what affects YOU and YOUR health, you are a selfish SOB, in MHO).

Everyone's body dies. Yes, even you, believe it or not. You can decide whether your life is about quantity (length of life) or quality (how your life affects the suffering of others).

If you fret and wring your hands about "oh, this food will raise my cholesterol, this other food is too high in gluten", I really feel sorry for you.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#32 Old 09-19-2009, 12:51 PM
Veggie Regular

Oh, I'm not wringing my hands about every food decision I make, but I'm very aware of what I put in my body. I'm human, and certainly far from perfect. I do eat processed foods from time to time, but my body doesn't work as well when I do. I have less energy, poor digestion, and several other symptoms.

I got the genetic whammy of diabetes, high blood pressure, and high cholesterol. If being an educated consumer prior to injesting food makes me a "selfish SOB", so be it. I see it differently.

I have watched my father lose all of the toes on his foot (in 3 separate surgeries), have 2 strokes, 5 cardiac bypasses, two heart attacks, and stents placed. He is turning 59 in November. He has been dealing with the same genetic whammy for 25 years. All of the information was out there and he chose to ignore it. To me, that is far more selfish.

I choose a vegetarian diet because I (selfishly) want to be in better health in my 50s. I want to be there for my kids and grandkids. Additionally, I don't really care for meat, and just don't believe it adds any form of satisfation to my life. I enjoying living in peace with the world around me, and I don't think animals should be killed to nourish me. I do what I can in a lot of areas, but I don't harbor the belief that I can control anyone but myself.

No need to feel sorry for my selfish self.

The opposite of war isn't peace. It's creation!
#33 Old 09-19-2009, 12:54 PM
Veggie Regular

I remember the dusty little health-food store, its single freezer case, and the bright-orange Not Dogs that made me smell like garlic for a week...

At the same time, it's sad that the big chains have run those little health-food nooks into becoming a thing of the past...

slops, gloops, and gruels.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#34 Old 09-19-2009, 01:01 PM

I truly wish you good luck in your quest for Immortality.
#35 Old 09-19-2009, 01:07 PM

I grieve over the sufferings of you and your loved ones. Do not doubt this.
#36 Old 09-19-2009, 04:39 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dunestrider View Post

I grieve over the sufferings of you and your loved ones. Do not doubt this.

That just sounds like you are feeling sorry for me or offering me your pity. Again, I don't need sympathy. I explained all of that to you so that you could understand and EMPATHIZE with me. People get to the same place through many different roads. You and I are not so far apart. I very much value the lives of other living things, and believe that I am doing a very ethical thing by not comsuming animals. It's just not the road that brought me here.

The opposite of war isn't peace. It's creation!
#37 Old 09-19-2009, 05:16 PM

Very very true!
#38 Old 09-19-2009, 05:33 PM

Dunestrider, as an ethical veg you should realize that no matter WHY someone cuts out meat, it's great for the animals. Attacking health conscious people, and calling them selfish, could very well be doing more harm to animals than good. Some people will simple never care about animals (no one in this thread, I think everyone that has posted cares about animals - it's just not some people's main reason), and different reasons can persuade someone to cut out meat, and health is a biggie. You should seize the opportunity to try and convince health conscious people, who may not be for animal rights (or welfare) to cut out meat. The animals really don't care why they aren't getting eaten.
#39 Old 09-19-2009, 05:35 PM
Herbivorous Urchin

Quote:

[*]If you told someone back then that you were a vegetarian, the typical reaction was like the reaction the protagonist from the movie "Everything Is Illuminated" got from his Russian hosts when they learned he was a vegetarian: "He is insane".
[/LIST]

I *love* that part/movie!

Quote:
"You will always be fond of me. I represent to you all the sins you never had the courage to commit.”
Oscar Wilde, The Picture of Dorian Gray
#40 Old 09-21-2009, 12:51 AM
Veggie Regular

Try living in Japan. Feels like 1970s America

Anyone near a Whole Foods is so damn lucky!!!
#41 Old 09-21-2009, 01:01 AM
Banned

I remember having to explain the word 'vegan' to everyone. Nobody had ever even heard the term before. It was weird to actually find someone else who was familiar with the term.

I also remember trading recipes with people at environmental and AR meetings. Look in my sig for a link to 'Bark and Grass' homemade 'zine vegan recipe book from the early 90s.

I also remember back in the 80s going to the aforementioned dusty hippie-filled health food store and the only 'veggie burger' was bulk dry mixes of oats and grains with flavourings that you would scoop into a bag, take home, mix with water and fry up. That was the equivalent of a Boca burger or whatever. We had to make everything from scratch.

Seeing the first Not Dogs and veggie sausages in supermarkets were truly amazing experiences.
#42 Old 09-21-2009, 03:04 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiseki View Post

wait, do you live in Japan?? me, too! yay!
#43 Old 09-21-2009, 05:40 AM
Veggie Regular

It is easier now,when I stopped (1983) there were no v foods about. Burgerking in the uk fries beanburgers in the same oil as dead animals.
#44 Old 09-21-2009, 06:22 AM
Veggie Regular

the aussie BK burgers have egg in them anyway

but i used to love them before i went vegan
#45 Old 09-21-2009, 06:25 AM
Veggie Regular

Er, male veg*ns are still very unusual, from what I can tell.

And for vegans and stricter vegetarians, avoiding animal products in some types of clothing is still hard.
#46 Old 09-21-2009, 11:34 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrFalafel View Post

I also remember back in the 80s going to the aforementioned dusty hippie-filled health food store and the only 'veggie burger' was bulk dry mixes of oats and grains with flavourings that you would scoop into a bag, take home, mix with water and fry up. That was the equivalent of a Boca burger or whatever. We had to make everything from scratch.

I remember that! We bought a box of "Nature's Burger" and it sat in the pantry so long it turned hard as a rock because my mom hated to cook.

#47 Old 09-21-2009, 11:39 AM
Veggie Regular

I TOTALLY AGREE! I was so afraid I wouldn't be able to do it........then I realized how freaking easy it is.........And I LOVE EVERY MINUTE OF IT!

ÂBecause the heart beats under a covering of hair, of fur, feathers, or wings, it is, for that reason, to be of no account? - Jean Paul Richter
#48 Old 09-21-2009, 02:38 PM
American Made, Rebel Born

i can't imagine how hard it was for my mom going vegetarian in 1972.

or even raising her children vegetarian in 1989?

i'm really really lucky.

cry havoc! and let slip the dogs of war.
#49 Old 09-21-2009, 04:04 PM
Veggie Regular

i started off vegetarian sixteen years ago and remember the one or two choices of soy milk being the ONLY milk alternative available in my local (now sadly defunct) health food store. nevertheless, i started drinking soy milk exclusively but couldn't kick the cheese addiction for many, many years. Nature's Burger... i remember that well. i actually do still buy it from time to time.

i'm glad i don't live in Japan or other countries where veg*nism is still almost completely foreign. hopefully things will improve for all of you before too long.

(i definitely wasn't in it for the health aspect when i first started out, so i can totally understand how a lot of people nowadays use mock meats and processed veg. food as "transition foods". as i've grown, though, i've become more interested in my health and eating a properly balanced diet (for the most part). i think i can safely say that even if the youngins start out this way... they will likely eventually evolve their dietary habits into healthy ones and use the mock/processed foods as an occasional food eaten in moderation.)
#50 Old 09-21-2009, 09:42 PM
Beginner

LOL. I don't know where you live, but I WISH #3 was true for me.

I usually get stared at like I have a third eye.
#51 Old 09-21-2009, 10:24 PM
Veggie Regular

Meh. I never have eaten a so-called veg*n option at at chain. I rarely even eat processed food. 99 out of 100 meals are made from scratch anyway. To me the biggest advantage in being vegan today over 1970 is the internet which I have retrieved scores of recipes and more common acceptance although that is still in the works. Other than that, not too much different.
#52 Old 09-22-2009, 06:16 AM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiseki View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockindancer86 View Post

wait, do you live in Japan?? me, too! yay!

Same here, I think Tokyo is bad but doable - but what if you're in inaka land. Fresh air is nice but damn!
#53 Old 09-22-2009, 06:53 AM
Beginner

Quote:

[*]If you told someone back then that you were a vegetarian, the typical reaction was like the reaction the protagonist from the movie "Everything Is Illuminated" got from his Russian hosts when they learned he was a vegetarian: "He is insane".

I liked this scene of the movie:

Everything Is Illuminated (2005)

Quote:

[after an old man gives them directions, Jonathan hands him a pack of cigarettes]

Alex: What are you doing?

Jonathan: For helping us.

Alex: What?

Jonathan: Well, I read in my guidebook that you cant find Marlboro cigarettes here so you should take them everywhere as tips.

Grandfather: [In Ukrainian] [to the man] He doesn't eat meat.
#54 Old 09-22-2009, 02:17 PM
Riot Nrrrd

I don't understand why some folks react as if the mere fact that over-processed veg food is avaiable means anyone is trying to live on it exclusively. From what I've seen, the processed convenience stuff paved the way in mainstream supermarkets for less processed veg-friendly foods.

I had a friend in college that ate just awfully, only hold the meat. Things like whoppers with no patty ...

Dave in MPLS / DISCLAIMER: I am not an actual rooster.
"It is better to light a candle than to curse the darkness"
National Suicide Prevention Lifeline 18002738255
#55 Old 09-22-2009, 06:37 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by tensai View Post

Same here, I think Tokyo is bad but doable - but what if you're in inaka land. Fresh air is nice but damn!

yeah... I live in inaka land! There IS one (Indian) restaurant that sells soy ice cream... sometimes... and it's vanilla soft serve.

other than that, there's no mock meats, and while there IS soymilk, NONE of them are dairy-free except the unsweetened one, which is bean water.
#56 Old 09-23-2009, 06:54 AM
Veggie Regular

I don't really like Whole Foods.

It's not far from my house (2 miles?), but I almost never go there.
#57 Old 09-23-2009, 08:39 AM
Veggie Regular

The impact of the internet on new veg*ns has to be fantastic. For years I felt so alone in my small town; aside from the occasional mailed entreaty from an AR group (which always seemed impossibly far away) I was on my own in respect to my beliefs. The instant connections alone are something to envy!

#58 Old 09-23-2009, 09:59 AM
Beginner

Lucky for us
#59 Old 09-23-2009, 03:50 PM
Banned

i feel being a veggie is a matter of proud.

at least we dont kill other living beings or support killing of them just for a fake taste of our tongue.

how inhuman can people be who are non-veggies and feel proud of it.

i say shame on them.

weight loss
#60 Old 09-24-2009, 02:29 PM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockindancer86 View Post

yeah... I live in inaka land! There IS one (Indian) restaurant that sells soy ice cream... sometimes... and it's vanilla soft serve.

other than that, there's no mock meats, and while there IS soymilk, NONE of them are dairy-free except the unsweetened one, which is bean water.

Well hopefully you at least have the advantage of more locally produced fresh vegetables and tsukemon and all that goodness..

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page