Is Quorn fortified with B12? - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 09-13-2009, 08:19 AM
Veggie Regular

It would make sense if it did, but I can't find any information about it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 09-13-2009, 08:31 AM
Veggie Regular

It contains eggs, so it doesn't need to be fortified with B12.
#3 Old 09-13-2009, 08:44 AM
Veggie Regular

D'oh yes of course.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 09-13-2009, 08:50 AM
Veggie Regular

Of course I don't know how significant the amount of B12 is in Quorn, so you could just check the Nutritional Information on one of their packages.
#5 Old 09-13-2009, 09:29 AM
Banned

It doesn't look like there's all that much B12 in Quorn.

Mycoprotein (Quorn) is a good source of zinc and selenium but the levels of iron and vitamin B12 in mycoprotein are low in comparison to red meat.

http://pt.wkhealth.com/pt/re/nutb/ab...195628!8091!-1
#6 Old 09-14-2009, 03:53 AM
Veggie Regular

Ah, thanks. You'd think it would be responsible to add iron and B12, especially as they seem to be marketing it to omnis as well.
#7 Old 09-14-2009, 09:22 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by holnrew View Post

Ah, thanks. You'd think it would be responsible to add iron and B12, especially as they seem to be marketing it to omnis as well.

Why if they're marketing to omnis and obviously, lacto ovo vegetarians? They should be getting sufficient B12 in their diets. I don't think any company should be "responsible" for fortifying their foods. It's the consumer who should be responsible for insuring s/he is eating a varied diet.

http://megatarian.blogspot.com
#8 Old 09-14-2009, 05:46 PM
Veggie Regular

I just mean that as a meat replacement it should contain the same nutrients as meat.
#9 Old 09-15-2009, 04:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by holnrew View Post

I just mean that as a meat replacement it should contain the same nutrients as meat.

You shouldn't be trying to get all of your nutrients from fake meat products. Eat a balanced diet and you should be getting enough of everything anyway.

It's not meat, it doesn't have to have exactly the same nutritioal value. I don't really think the point of them is to provide you with exactly the same stuff as meat-should they add in some more saturated fat and cholesterol too, you know, since they're in meat as well?

Sometimes food is about taste as well as nutrients.
#10 Old 09-15-2009, 11:47 AM
Veggie Regular

uh, dudes, B12 does NOT come in a balanced veg*n diet. It can only come from fortified foods, like fortified cereals, soy/almond/hemp milk, etc. One reason that I will not buy a veg*n "milk" product that is not fortified, as some are just empty white calories. I agree with the OP, they know who is eating their products and should be making it nutritious for us. The fact that we are looking to find the sources, means we are responsible, and complaining about what we want is often how we get what we want. Still I take sublingual B12 occasionally, and also have a b12 patch that I use infrequently. Why? Because eventhough I always check my labels and make sure I get the fortified version of 100% of my B12, I back-up with occasional B12 vitamines, because you just can't risk being wrong about that.... and sometimes companies are found to lack what they say they have, when tested. This was found to be the case in some nutritional yeast that was supposed to have b12, but was found lacking. I use it too, but don't bet on it being all it says it is.
#11 Old 09-17-2009, 08:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by itsveggietime! View Post

uh, dudes, B12 does NOT come in a balanced veg*n diet.

Quorn contains both eggs and milk so isn't aimed at vegans, so I think they're probably assuming that the people who eat it are also eating dairy and eggs, therefore aren't looking for B12 supplements?

Either way, I don't think it's the responsibility of the company to have to fortify their foods, especially as you can easily take a multivitamin or B12 supplement anyway.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page