Vegetarian NOT Vegan recipes - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 09-07-2009, 09:30 PM

Does anyone know a good place to go for good vegetarian recipes? I am an ovo-lacto-vegetarian and would like good recipes that don't substitute eggs, cheese, milk or butter for vegan ingredients. Anyone?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 09-07-2009, 09:37 PM
Administrator

You can go to a site like http://www.allrecipes.com and include the word "vegetarian" in your search (ex. "vegetarian chili").

I think Vegetarian Times has a bunch of vegetarian recipes too.

VeggieBoards Alumni Facebook Group

If you're an old time VB'er stop by and say hi!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
#3 Old 09-08-2009, 05:17 AM

I have used this site a lot in the past http://www.taste.com.au/recipes/collections/vegetarian

It's Australian so you might have to google the conversions but the recipes are actual published ones from magazines and usually work well, they also have a rating system which is useful.

Happy cooking
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 09-08-2009, 04:21 PM
Herbivorous Urchin

Why don't you just un-substitute the vegan products?

Quote:
"You will always be fond of me. I represent to you all the sins you never had the courage to commit.”
Oscar Wilde, The Picture of Dorian Gray
#5 Old 09-08-2009, 04:47 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by LyricGaia View Post

Why don't you just un-substitute the vegan products?

lol... my thoughts exactly! the only recipes this wouldn't work for would be the fake-cheesy dishes like vegan mac'n'cheese or vegan alfredo sauce and so on.
#6 Old 09-08-2009, 04:49 PM
Veggie Regular

There's nothing saying you can't eat some awesome vegan dishes as a non-vegan, though. Nothing like expanding your cooking horizons!

Q: How many poets does it take to change a light bulb? A: 1001...one to change the bulb, 1000 to say it's already been done.
#7 Old 09-08-2009, 05:56 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skylark View Post

There's nothing saying you can't eat some awesome vegan dishes as a non-vegan, though. Nothing like expanding your cooking horizons!

very true! i missed out on sooo many yummy dishes when i was vegetarian that i make almost weekly now as a vegan!
#8 Old 09-08-2009, 06:29 PM
Veggie Regular

I think this will be a little tough considering vegan IS the only pure form of vegetarian, so if something is labeled "vegetarian" it could always mean vegan, too. Maybe try un-substituting.
#9 Old 09-08-2009, 08:01 PM
Veggie Regular

stir fry, pasta with veggies and sauce (and cheese), scrambled eggs, omelets, sandwiches (veggies, cheese).

but just because you're not vegan doesn't mean you can't eat vegan recipes, too. if they call for soymilk, you can use regular milk. if they call for fake cheese, use real cheese. voila, c'est vegetarian!
#10 Old 09-08-2009, 09:12 PM

I guess its because I am a baker from way back and baking requires fairly strict adherence to measurements and ingredients. I really don't want to try and figure out substitutions for substitutions and altering cooking times, etc.

Thank you Michael and Tempting Vegan for the sites! I hate having to go through tons of recipes trying to figure out what in the recipe was a substitute for an egg, lol. I'd say 50% of what I eat IS vegan just because I do a lot of stir frys, grilled or roasted veggies, and raw crudites...but for the other 50% I would like to see other's vegetarian recipes to broaden my current meal selections( don't want the hubby to get bored with the same food over and over)
#11 Old 09-08-2009, 09:14 PM
Veggie Regular

What's the fun in having experience in baking if you can't expand on it to create and discover new baked goods? Really, the same old rules, all the time?

Q: How many poets does it take to change a light bulb? A: 1001...one to change the bulb, 1000 to say it's already been done.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page