A couple questions about your vegetarianism - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 09-07-2009, 05:46 AM

here's a couple questions for everyone here

what did you eat most/enjoy eating before you were vegetarian?

anyone here who's been vegetarian all their life cause they were raised that way? i know of a few, and more than a dozen vegan kids i've read about, who never even had dairy.

i've only been vegetarian 14 month myself

and before, the things i ate most were sausage roll, i'd ask for one every day at school for a long time. pepperoni pizzas. also, normal chicken (not kfc, i liked the normal chicken better, i'd have with a sunday roast) also enjoyed ribs and turkey slices best.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 09-07-2009, 05:50 AM
Banned

I enjoy vegetarian sausage rolls, vegan pepperoni pizzas and vegetarian chicken roasts on a regular basis. I'm having a vegetarian sliced turkey sandwich for lunch today and had vegetarian ribs last week.

I don't miss anyting, really. Maybe salt water taffy...
#3 Old 09-07-2009, 07:27 AM
Veggie Regular

Probably the thing that I kind of miss is whenever I drive by a Long John Silver's I think of how much I used to like that fried fish.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 09-07-2009, 07:30 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by KelleyMarie View Post

Probably the thing that I kind of miss is whenever I drive by a Long John Silver's I think of how much I used to like that fried fish.

Me too, thats why I worked out a vegetarian recipe for battered and fried 'fish':

http://www.recipezaar.com/Mr-Falafel...-n-Chips-48612
#5 Old 09-07-2009, 07:33 AM
Veggie Regular

Sounds good but soy gives me the hives.
#6 Old 09-07-2009, 07:44 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by KelleyMarie View Post

Sounds good but soy gives me the hives.

Not a problem! Just make this http://www.vegan-food.net/recipe/119...-Clams-Shrimp/ and use it instead of tofu in the above recipe.
#7 Old 09-07-2009, 07:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrFalafel View Post

Me too, thats why I worked out a vegetarian recipe for battered and fried 'fish':

http://www.recipezaar.com/Mr-Falafel...-n-Chips-48612

That sounds pretty damn good. I'm going to try that!

What stout is vegan Mr Falafel?
#8 Old 09-07-2009, 08:20 AM
Veggie Regular

This is the second such thread in a short time, that seems to be under the assumption that vegetarians really want to eat meat and are hankering away for some. This is just not true. It makes me sick to even smell it cooking at a restaurant. I don't miss any food at all. The only thing I do miss is never having to think twice about finding decent food anywhere.... the trouble with that was, none of it was decent food, I just didn't know it....
#9 Old 09-07-2009, 08:29 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toast View Post

That sounds pretty damn good. I'm going to try that!

What stout is vegan Mr Falafel?

Well, in that recipe I just use any old vegan beer now, usually Fullers London Pride. I used to live near Pitfield brewery and would their (vegan)Shoreditch Stout when I came up with that recipe.

And if you're not into beer, you can use any carbonated water instead. It really works(not quite as tasty though).
#10 Old 09-07-2009, 08:53 AM
Veggie Regular

I really don't miss anything.

The opposite of war isn't peace. It's creation!
#11 Old 09-07-2009, 09:01 AM
Veggie Regular

I miss the convenience rather than any specific food. I miss having the choice, being able to go into any restaurant and having anything on the menus, rather than just a limited selection.
#12 Old 09-07-2009, 09:32 AM
Veggie Regular

Like holnrew, I miss the convenience of being able to go out to eat anywhere and being able to find food on the menu. It is a pain sometimes going out to eat, which is I why I cook alot more now. I don't miss any of the food I used to eat though and I am happy to be eating much healthier.

I eat everything that nature voluntarily gives: fruits, vegetables, and the products of plants. But I ask you to spare me what animals are forced to surrender: meat, milk, and cheese. ~Author Unknown
#13 Old 09-07-2009, 09:35 AM
Banned

I don't understand the eating out issues. I've been eating out several times a week as a vegan for many many years now and never have any problems.
#14 Old 09-07-2009, 09:58 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by dontharmthatcow View Post

It's been 15 years. I don't remember. That may sound like a cop out but I can't really think of anything appealing about the meat I used to eat.

http://megatarian.blogspot.com
#15 Old 09-07-2009, 11:27 AM
Veggie Regular

I haven't been vegetarian for all my life (like you mentioned) but I have been vegetarian for approx 18 of my (very recently..my bday was Sunday!) 22 years, so I have only vague memories of eating meat.

Before that, the only meat I was allowed was roast chicken, sausages and fish fingers. My Mum had stopped eating red meat and my Dad was hospitalised as a child from eating pork, so they avoided giving it to me.

So I love most fake-meat, because I don't remember or don't know what meat is meant to taste like!!!

Good luck with your continuation with vegetarianism. My boyfriend has recently made the full transition to veggie, after two years as a pescatarian. He didn't miss meat, but really misses fish, but he's determined to stay veggie for his health and the animals.
#16 Old 09-07-2009, 11:30 AM

Its 20 years in December and Nothing....I never liked meat and didnt eat much of it at all.
#17 Old 09-07-2009, 01:09 PM

Quote:

I don't understand the eating out issues. I've been eating out several times a week as a vegan for many many years now and never have any problems.

It probably depends on where you are. It is very hard to eat vegetarian, let alone vegan here in the God-forsaken military town of Columbus, GA. =/ In bigger cities there are alot more selections- I visited Atlanta recently and was astounded at the amount of vegetarian restaurants!
#18 Old 09-07-2009, 01:25 PM

Quote:

Well, in that recipe I just use any old vegan beer now, usually Fullers London Pride. I used to live near Pitfield brewery and would their (vegan)Shoreditch Stout when I came up with that recipe.

And if you're not into beer, you can use any carbonated water instead. It really works(not quite as tasty though).

I like the idea of beer batter so I will give it a go.

Quote:
Originally Posted by holnrew View Post

I miss the convenience rather than any specific food. I miss having the choice, being able to go into any restaurant and having anything on the menus, rather than just a limited selection.

I eat out at vegan restaurants with other vegans when I can but I am married to an omni who is a very fussy eater and eating out with him is quite difficult since I became vegan.
#19 Old 09-07-2009, 02:09 PM
Veggie Regular

I used to miss prawns a lot and I would suffer a bit at Xmas time watching my family eat them, but then one year I walked into my mum's place on Xrissie day and nearly gagged from the revolting smell of fish. So I guess I don't like them anymore.

m8itcanw8.com
#20 Old 09-07-2009, 04:04 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

anyone here who's been vegetarian all their life cause they were raised that way? i know of a few, and more than a dozen vegan kids i've read about, who never even had dairy.

i've only been vegetarian 14 month myself

and before, the things i ate most were sausage roll, i'd ask for one every day at school for a long time. pepperoni pizzas. also, normal chicken (not kfc, i liked the normal chicken better, i'd have with a sunday roast) also enjoyed ribs and turkey slices best.

I suppose what I enjoyed most was mashed potatoes. Seriously. And I can still eat them, so it's a win-win! Although I don't think I've had them in nearly a year... I'm just too lazy to make them myself.

Otherwise, sometimes I wish I was a little thick-headed and had chosen to be pescatarian, as it would make life in Japan 1593837x easier. Eating out is fun!... In the I-tell-myself-it's-an-adventure-but-really-I-want-to-.

Quote:

Well, then you're quite lucky. There are so few vegetarians in Japan that after careful explanation they still don't understand the word... I spent 15 minutes in a ramen shop saying I just wanted the plain noodles, no fish dipping sauce, with the plain veggies on top, and some soy sauce. She was convinced, even after I explain why about 4 times, that that was wrong, because NOBODY would eat ramen without fish sauce. And if I really didn't want fish sauce, why didn't I order the ramen soup, in fish broth, instead? It doesn't taste like fish sauce, so that'd be okay, right? Le sigh.

It was much easier when I visited California, though, I admit.
#21 Old 09-07-2009, 07:44 PM
Veggie Regular

I would say fish and chips actually were one of my favorite dishes, but ever since I stopped eating meat in March 2008 I can't say I have missed it (definitely a difference between what I used to enjoy eating and missing something). However, I definitely will have to try that "fish and chips" recipe from a few posts above.

One meat dish I did miss was BBQ ribs, but that was much more because of the BBQ aspect, not the rib aspect, and Morningside's BBQ riblets more than takes care of that desire.

Oh, and I absolutely love ice cream and am so happy there are so many vegan ice cream options out there.
#22 Old 09-07-2009, 07:58 PM
Veggie Regular

The only thing I miss is peanut butter M&MS (I'm vegan, they are not). Haha!

My pre-veg*n favorite was fast food in general. That yummy greasy, junk food taste, the convenience, the fact that I wan't cooking and didn't have to clean up. Arby's was a favorite. I didn't eat out a lot but darn it when I did I relished every bite.

(Now I have that kind of food-gasm pretty much every meal. I LOVE vegan food.)
#23 Old 09-07-2009, 08:04 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:

Deep fried chicken fingers, ribs, and bacon. I was heavier then, always tired, and grumpy. I now eat Quorn chik'n nuggets, Gardenburger Riblets, and Smart Bacon (nothing like real bacon, but still yummy when crispy). I don't miss anything anymore. I do miss being able to order anything from the menu though, sucks to have to pick through to see what I can eat.
#24 Old 09-07-2009, 08:04 PM
Veggie Regular

As others have said, I don't miss the food. I miss the convenience.

I hate cooking, and that wasn't really a problem for me as an omni. I could pick up pre-made foods at any restaurant or grocery store, and I'm not just talking lousy tv dinners. There are just a ton less options as a vegetarian, especially since I'm trying to eat vegan as much as possible, which rules out the obvious easy option of pizza.

So now I'm forced to cook regularly, or else eat the same couple of things so often that I get sick of them. And I still manage to get in ruts of eating the same foods too often and getting tired of them. I used to eat falafel once or twice a week at a place down the street from me for the first year I was veg, but I've pretty much stopped going there, because I got tired of it. I'm starting to get in the same rut now with burritos from Moe's that I eat every week.

--Fromper

#25 Old 09-07-2009, 09:32 PM
Veggie Regular

We went out for pizza this week. Call and see if you can find a place that does not have meat anything in their sauce, and then just get a veggie top pizza without the cheese. That's what I did and it was good...uh, I get the thick crust too
#26 Old 09-07-2009, 11:23 PM

I never really TRULY *enjoyed* my food before I went veggie. I thought I enjoyed it as I was eating it, but then I felt heavy and disgusting afterward. It wasn't until I started eating primarily vegan food that I felt like I really enjoyed my meals and how I felt while eating them! Even now that I'm not a complete vegan, whenever I eat food with a significant amount of dairy I feel like I want to throw it up. But the vegan kickstart starts tomorrow and I'm done with that. =]
#27 Old 09-07-2009, 11:23 PM
Beginner

I travel a lot, and the biggest "miss" is that there are so few options when eating out!! I'm doing research for an upcoming trip to New Orleans, and I am quite disappointed in the lack of options at restaurants there!!
#28 Old 09-08-2009, 02:51 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by J9isyourstar View Post

It probably depends on where you are. It is very hard to eat vegetarian, let alone vegan here in the God-forsaken military town of Columbus, GA. =/ In bigger cities there are alot more selections- I visited Atlanta recently and was astounded at the amount of vegetarian restaurants!

Yeah Georgia can be rough but I had a few excellent vegan meals in Athens! Again, if you go out to omini places and let them know you are vegetarian perhaps they'll start offering veggie meals. Restaurants probably don't bother offering vegetarian meals because they think there are no vegetarians around. Ask! Talk to restaurants!

Also, just because you can't find any veggie meals on the menu doesn't mean a good chef can't whip something veggie up for you if you request it.
#29 Old 09-08-2009, 02:52 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by czar2004 View Post

I travel a lot, and the biggest "miss" is that there are so few options when eating out!! I'm doing research for an upcoming trip to New Orleans, and I am quite disappointed in the lack of options at restaurants there!!

1 vegetarian restaurant and 10 veggie friendly restaurant and a coffee place that sells vegan pastries. Whats the problem?

http://www.happycow.net/north_americ...a/new_orleans/
#30 Old 09-08-2009, 04:44 AM
Herbivorous Urchin

I ate the most of "Tyson's Buffalo Chicken Strips" Those things... ZOMG!

But, I really don't miss anything. It was amazing how easy it was to give up.

Quote:
"You will always be fond of me. I represent to you all the sins you never had the courage to commit.”
Oscar Wilde, The Picture of Dorian Gray

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page