My sister wants to go veggie. - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 08-31-2009, 05:06 PM

For personal reasons I've had to remove what I've writen here.

Thanx guys for your input in this, much appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 08-31-2009, 05:22 PM
Veggie Regular

How headstrong is she, and determined to not eat animals? Fourteen is definitely an age in which, even if the parents aren't inclined to "allow it," the teen is old enough to assert themselves. The fall-out from that depends on the family.

"If you want to know where you would have stood on slavery before the civil war, don't look at where you stand on slavery today, look at where you stand on animal rights." - Paul Watson.

Every animal you eat
was running for her life

#3 Old 08-31-2009, 05:28 PM
Veggie Regular

That sucks, I'd hate to be in that situation.

Sorry that isn't very helpful... But i would just say what you've said. There isn't a lot you can do, especially with strict fathers.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 08-31-2009, 06:15 PM

My grandparents and mother wouldn't allow it either. I am pretty stubborn though and just would not eat any food with meat in it. I lost alot of weight and broke my arm (on a scooter lol). I think after that they sorta knew that I was serious. She just has to be determined (and stay away from scooters lol).
#5 Old 08-31-2009, 07:23 PM
Give peas a chance

Fourteen year olds can be very fickle. It might be vegetarianism this week, and something else next week. What will impress upon your parents the seriousness of her convictions is if she volunteers to take on more responsibilities. Back it up with more than talk and stick with it.

Offer to assist with shopping. Help with preparation of meals... maybe she volunteers to take on responsibility of making salads and veg dishes. Learn about proper nutrition and help with meal planning.

But until she is 18 and out of the house and paying for her own lifestyle choices, the parents make the call.

Vegan Cookbooks Illustrated

http://vegan-cookbooks-illustrated.blogspot.com/

http://pinterest.com/VeganCookbooks/

#6 Old 08-31-2009, 10:33 PM

For personal reasons I've had to remove what I've writen here.
#7 Old 09-01-2009, 03:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mingster View Post

She can be head strong at times, but the fact she can't cook for herself is a real problem. We work in a fast food place and she either works or is stuck up stairs where there is no kitchen. So my dad does all the cooking for her and she eats what she is givin. Which usually is a very meaty dish.

Our determination to do things tend to end when our parents disagree with the idea. The only way I am able to stay a vegan is because I can cook for myself and I can buy my own things to eat.

My whole family will be making snide comment and all trying to cheat her into eating meat if she turned veggie, when it's family gatherings. I don't think she would be able to handle the things my family throw at me sometimes. She's can be sensitive at times.

oh my, that's horrible. Me, personally, I would fight for what I believe in - even if it did mean going hungry or upsetting my parents. Maybe that's not for everyone and I don't want to promote disobedience but I am just stubborn >.<

However, maybe to start out with she can pick out what she can from the meal or ask for more veggies/bread?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page