the Great American Meatout - Page 2 - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#31 Old 03-15-2006, 04:36 AM
Veggie Regular

Oooo...good catch Amy! My first reaction was, then is it Sunday, March 19 or Monday, March 20. So I checked the link, and it's Monday, March 20!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#32 Old 03-15-2006, 08:51 AM
Veggie Regular

If I wasn't the gentleman that I am would wear a trench coat that day to wander around town to celebrate the meat-out.

Seriously, I should mention this to my mom and see if she can convince my dad to not eat meat for the day. I bet she would do it easily, for she eats not much meat as it is.
#33 Old 03-15-2006, 09:57 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rotting View Post

If I wasn't the gentleman that I am would wear a trench coat that day to wander around town to celebrate the meat-out.

Seriously, I should mention this to my mom and see if she can convince my dad to not eat meat for the day. I bet she would do it easily, for she eats not much meat as it is.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#34 Old 03-15-2006, 01:56 PM
Veggie Regular

Neato! Another great excuse to cook yummy veggie foods in bulk!
#35 Old 03-15-2006, 02:12 PM
Banned

The Great American Meat Out is at different times in different places. One young man had to go to Penn. in July for it and now it is in March. So, where is this one located? I need to meet some active vegetarians.
#36 Old 03-15-2006, 02:24 PM
Veggie Regular

Awesome. That superpig card rocks.
#37 Old 03-15-2006, 03:32 PM
Veggie Regular

cool, thanks for posting the link!
#38 Old 03-15-2006, 06:57 PM

Shirley..I think you're thinking of the Veg. Fest they have each year in PA. The Great American Meatout is always on the first day of Spring. (but sometimes local groups do events the weekend before/after, etc.)

The ones I pity are the ones who never stick out their neck for something they believe, never know the taste of moral struggle, and never have the thrill of victory. - Jonathan Kozol
#39 Old 01-09-2007, 02:46 AM
Veggie Regular

/bump

I've decided to sticky this thread AND bump it. Yes, I know it's a wee bit premature, as The Great American Meatout (which has spread to several other countries wheee!) is usually on the first day of spring, but with such advance notice, now nobody has an excuse to not know about it!

And that link again? http://www.meatout.org/events/mevents.htm

*this space not for sale*
#40 Old 01-21-2007, 02:35 PM
Veggie Regular

Can anyone find a decent poster to print for the event? I'm looking for a one-page thing to put up at work. The website has a lot of publications but I couldn't find a general page about the date and event.
#41 Old 01-31-2007, 02:38 PM
Veggie Regular

so when is it this year? March 20th again?
#42 Old 01-31-2007, 02:39 PM
Veggie Regular

Yeah, it's usually held on or about the first day of spring, but check the listing for your area just to be sure.

#43 Old 02-01-2007, 07:51 PM
Veggie Regular

im sorry i am unaware of this event? care to explain please? it is probably explained somewhere in the thread but im kinda lazy to look
#44 Old 02-04-2007, 06:07 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by evan_fabiani View Post

im sorry i am unaware of this event? care to explain please? it is probably explained somewhere in the thread but im kinda lazy to look

It's a day when omnis are asked to cut out meat for the 24 hours. The reason is to raise awarness of vegetarianism (what we eat, how hard it is going out to eat, at potlucks etc). Not everyone is open minded about it, but last year I was able to get about fifteen people to sighn up after asking about a hundred at my school. It is sugested, but not required that they go out to eat, so that they can experiance what that's like, and next time you go out to eat with them, perhaps they'll be more sympathetic and choose somewhere other then a stake house. Many local veg groups and indiviguals have a potluck diner on the day of The Great American Meat Out, to end the experiance on a good note and allow the people participating to try lots of different veg food and ask questions, this is also a chance for long-timers to explain what veg*nism is to them. When I was getting people to sighn up, I asked vegetarians to go vegan for the day, even though I just made that up as an addition to The Great American Meatout.

So go forth and post notices everywhere: at local libraries, health food stores, at your school, at the park etc. asking people to do the Great American Meatout... it is also good to have people sighn up for it so that you have a count of how many people went veg for the day.

The Great American Meatout, even though we keep this part a secret from meat eaters, encourages people to go veg*n for good, as they see that it is possible!
#45 Old 02-04-2007, 06:20 AM
Veggie Regular

this is really amazing. i am totally excited to go out and get people to sign up for this. thanks for the info!
#46 Old 03-09-2007, 05:45 PM
Beginner

Hm. This falls on my first day of MCAS testing (for you non-Massachusetts residents, it's the testing that all Massachusetts tenth-graders have to pass in order to graduate high school, you have five chances to pass it, and if you fail each time then you just get a certificate at graduation, not a diploma, I know other states have similar testing other other names) for math. Maybe I'll try and get some of the omnivores at my school to give up meat for the day. Will they take it seriously? Proabably not. :[ My friend and I are trying to start a veg club at our school (it's currentley only a myspace group), so maybe we can use that as our starting point.

Edit- I just realized that I wrote more about the MCAS than I did about the Great American Meatout. Oy.
#47 Old 03-12-2007, 01:55 PM
Veggie Regular

This year in Indianapolis, Meatout is on July 28.
#48 Old 03-15-2007, 11:41 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by michey View Post

Hm. This falls on my first day of MCAS testing (for you non-Massachusetts residents, it's the testing that all Massachusetts tenth-graders have to pass in order to graduate high school, you have five chances to pass it, and if you fail each time then you just get a certificate at graduation, not a diploma, I know other states have similar testing other other names) for math. Maybe I'll try and get some of the omnivores at my school to give up meat for the day. Will they take it seriously? Proabably not. :[ My friend and I are trying to start a veg club at our school (it's currentley only a myspace group), so maybe we can use that as our starting point.

Edit- I just realized that I wrote more about the MCAS than I did about the Great American Meatout. Oy.

Just tell them that eating a heavy meat meal will make them tired, as their body works hard to digest it, so they're likely to have a harder time concentrating on the test.

On a related note, I remember hearing about a chess grandmaster who used to offer to buy a big steak lunch/dinner for his opponents at chess tournaments right before a long, intense game. Apparently, he figured it would slow them down enough to give him an extra edge in the game. Of course, that's only when playing other grandmasters where he needed such an edge.

So back to the original topic, is the meat-out on March 20 again this year? That's next Tuesday. I might be able to talk some of my coworkers into participating.

--Fromper

#49 Old 03-16-2007, 02:25 PM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fromper View Post

Just tell them that eating a heavy meat meal will make them tired, as their body works hard to digest it, so they're likely to have a harder time concentrating on the test.

On a related note, I remember hearing about a chess grandmaster who used to offer to buy a big steak lunch/dinner for his opponents at chess tournaments right before a long, intense game. Apparently, he figured it would slow them down enough to give him an extra edge in the game. Of course, that's only when playing other grandmasters where he needed such an edge.

Wow. Thanks for the info. ^.^ I just made a myspace bulliten (>.< American teenager, I am) about the GAM and noted at the bottom what you said.
#50 Old 03-18-2007, 06:30 PM

I'm trying to get the rest of my family to cut out meat for the day. My little sister is already complaining (What am I going to eat for lunch at school?! Ew a salad?). Hopefully they find it's not that hard.
#51 Old 03-19-2007, 07:20 PM

I plan on wearing my "Spare an animal, eat a vegetable" t-shirt. I've pretty much given up on wearing it in public since I usually get too many negative comments. But I figure I'll use it as an opportunity to educate anyone who's willing to listen.
#52 Old 03-20-2007, 02:15 AM
Veggie Regular

I resurrected last year's MeatOut thread on my other message boards. A few people said they'd give it a try!
#53 Old 03-20-2007, 04:09 AM
Veggie Regular

Great...they're having Italian Day at work today...lots of pasta, meatballs, saugage.... Wish I had known earlier. I would at least have had them plan it for a different day.
#54 Old 03-20-2007, 08:19 AM
Veggie Regular

It's today! OMG!

#55 Old 03-20-2007, 07:13 PM
Veggie Regular

Ya know, I was really excited about this. I asked some friends to join me for a vegetarian lunch... and only one showed up (we all hang out all the time) and she ate beef. Dinner was a flop and I'm just really depressed about it. I shouldn't be, I know, but I am.

That's so whiney of me, please excuse, but still.... waaaah! I was expecting some support and all I got were complaints about how hard it is and how awful and ridiculed they feel when they don't eat meat around a bunch of meat eaters. Come on!!! One day... and no one joined me. So since no body likes me, and everybody hates me, I guess I'll go eat... swedish fish.
#56 Old 03-21-2007, 11:33 PM
Beginner

I posted a topic on two forums I go to. Unfortunately, the majority of the replies that I did get were from idiots who decided to take that moment to gloat about how much meat they were going to eat in spite of me.

Oh well, I tried.
#57 Old 03-27-2007, 08:27 AM

It's already passed, but my college had a National Meat Out day where there was a significant amount of veg*n food in the cafeteria.

I also dressed up as a pig with a sign on that said "Hug me. Don't eat me."

After that day I don't think I ever want to hug another human being for as long as I live.
#58 Old 03-27-2007, 08:44 AM
Vegan Police Officer

The MeatOut is not only an American thing. It takes place all over the world.
#59 Old 04-03-2007, 11:32 PM
Veggie Regular

I don't think we've ever had one in Utah...not while I've been here the last 5 years anyway...
#60 Old 02-03-2008, 04:29 AM
Veggie Regular

/bump

Well, Punxsutawney Phil may have told us that there's six more weeks of winter yesterday, but for those of us who JUST CAN'T WAIT FOR SPRING, here's a look ahead to an annual event that occurs on or about the first day of spring: The Great American Meatout. Here's the link once again: http://www.meatout.org/events/mevents.htm and it has dates already for 2008. If you can't find anything for your area and you want to get active in something, consider planning an event yourself!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page