Does it bother you when people kill spiders/insects? - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 08-27-2009, 06:45 PM
Veggie Regular

I haven't killed a spider or an insect for years (I'm thinking it may have coincided with becoming a vegetarian for the first time 10 years ago, but I don't really remember). If there's a spider in my house, I'll take a cup and put it over it, then slip a piece of firm paper underneath and take it outside. It only takes a second longer than it would to squish it. I do the same for other insects, or I'll just shoo them out the window if they can fly.

Occasionally I'll be at someone else's house and they'll just swat a fly dead, or stomp on a spider, and it always kind of shocks me! It's so unnecessary. Seriously, it only takes a tiny bit more effort to just take the bug outside, and it's the difference of life and death to the insect! I just don't get how people can be so nonchalant about killing an animal.

Am I weird, or does this bother other vegetarians too?

www.veganspoonful.com
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 08-27-2009, 06:49 PM
Veggie Regular

I don't like killing bugs. If I find one in the house I get my bf to put it outside! I try my best not to kill bugs at all times but being an avid camper I have/still kill mosquitoes quite often....and I feel a little bit guilty every time.
#3 Old 08-27-2009, 06:59 PM
Beginner

I hate killing spiders. I don't do it anymore, and I don't like being around when other people do it. I just don't like watching them suffer and twitch...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 08-27-2009, 07:00 PM
Veggie Regular

The only things I kill are mosquitoes. Hey, if they leave me alone I would do the same!
#5 Old 08-27-2009, 07:02 PM
Beginner

I sometimes accidentally kill mosquitoes. I just blindly slap when something is biting me.
#6 Old 08-27-2009, 07:04 PM
Veggie Regular

Of course it bothers me. Insects are living, breathing creatures, too. And they're animals. They're part of the Kingdom Animalia.

I have ongoing issues with my husband and his friends killing bugs. They sometimes call me into the room to come and get the poor bug ASAP before they smash them, but it's inconsistent at best.

★ Vegetarian: 7/4/07 ☆ Near-Vegan: 11/08 ☆ FINALLY VEGAN! 4/4/09 ★

♥ 4 years down and a lifetime to go! ♥
#7 Old 08-27-2009, 07:05 PM
Veggie Regular

okay, okay...I have to admit that I've tried to kill a mosquito or two! When they are biting like crazy and won't leave me alone, I've smacked my hands to try to catch one, but man they are hard to get!

I guess I show compassion when they are merely in my house, but my compassion goes away when they are hurting me. Touche!

www.veganspoonful.com
#8 Old 08-27-2009, 08:29 PM
Veggie Regular

Flies, mosquitoes, fleas , ticks all spread disease .

Just kill the damn things .

Seriously .
#9 Old 08-27-2009, 08:30 PM
Veggie Regular

Seriously .
#10 Old 08-27-2009, 08:54 PM

It's definitely a strange moment, when someone kills a wasp or something, while I am with them...."oh don't mind me, I'll just send this creature to oblivion; what were you saying?...."

#11 Old 08-27-2009, 08:56 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blobbenstein View Post

It's definitely a strange moment, when someone kills a wasp or something, while I am with them...."oh don't mind me, I'll just send this creature to oblivion; what were you saying?...."

Yes! Thank you, I'm glad someone understands. It just jolts me when I see someone do that, I'm just so used to taking them out.

www.veganspoonful.com
#12 Old 08-27-2009, 09:04 PM

Yes....and I dont kill bugs.....or try not too....I shoo mosquitos and bees cause I am allergic....and it buggs me when others kill them....I am an avid camper too and when they get in our camper I do exactly what I do at home I shoo them outside.
#13 Old 08-27-2009, 09:05 PM
tk*

I try to save as many bugs as I can...however I don't claim martydom or sainthood for being a vegetarian. I kill mosquitos, gnats, and flies if they are in my house and I don't feel bad about it. Mosquitos carry diseases. Gnats are impossible to catch (humanely) and cause infestations, and flies are just plain annoying.

C'est la vie.

Can't save'em all.
#14 Old 08-27-2009, 09:10 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angelwing View Post

The only things I kill are mosquitoes. Hey, if they leave me alone I would do the same!

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases...0828075659.htm

I've found rubbing catnip leaves on my skin works as a great mosquito repellent, but you have to apply it more times than bug spray. Apparently it also repels cockroaches too.
#15 Old 08-27-2009, 09:25 PM
Veggie Regular

Im going to post a video of someone with a botfly larva living on their skin or someone with malaria and then see what you think of mosquitos .

Or how about parasite eggs transfered by a fly ? Care to have a 25 foot long tapeworm living in your body ?

Haha if you only knew .
#16 Old 08-27-2009, 11:11 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeFromSM View Post

Seriously .

Humans spread disease too. Just sayin'.
#17 Old 08-27-2009, 11:27 PM
tk*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koehnae View Post

Humans spread disease too. Just sayin'.

I would kill humans too...but then I'd go to prison.
#18 Old 08-28-2009, 12:18 AM
Veggie Regular

I avoid killing bugs, but I don't feel too awful killing mosquitos and things that bite me.
#19 Old 08-28-2009, 12:58 AM
Veggie Regular

I never kill anything if I can help it - obviously some beasties die when I'm driving or even cycling and running but I would never do it on purpose and actively discourage it from others. My wife's granny once jumped on a snail right in front of my kids and splattered it all over the pavement - really freaked me out how people could do things like that.

Obama kills a fly and everyone thinks he's cool though . . . d1ck
#20 Old 08-28-2009, 12:59 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

Im going to post a video of someone with a botfly larva living on their skin or someone with malaria and then see what you think of mosquitos .

Or how about parasite eggs transfered by a fly ? Care to have a 25 foot long tapeworm living in your body ?

Haha if you only knew .

Don't tapeworms come from infected meat?
#21 Old 08-28-2009, 01:01 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

Haha if you only knew .

Great for keeping your weight down . . .
#22 Old 08-28-2009, 02:25 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by kuhliloach View Post

Don't tapeworms come from infected meat?

Yes from undercooked meat that contain parasite eggs and parasite eggs are also spread by flies that go in animal excrement and then land on your food .
#23 Old 08-28-2009, 03:31 AM
Veggie Regular

I wouldn't kill an insect/spider/bug unless there's a reason that I'd have to (and one's never come up yet, but I guess a tape worm would be an example). I like to live and let live, it's not harming me. If people kill bugs in my presence I tell them not to, and if it bothers them I'll move it. I just don't kill things for the sake of it.
#24 Old 08-28-2009, 07:28 AM

I'll be honest. I have a legitimate PHOBIA of spiders. So much so that if I even as much think about them too much my heart races and I get panicky. Pictures are the same, if not worse. I actually think there is a member here with a huge tarantula as their avatar and everytime I see a post of theirs I freak out.

In that respect, I cannot help but automatically want to kill spiders. Spiders and cockroaches.

(I had an intensely life-like nightmare once about a multitude of roaches swarming into my room, where I tried to get up on a chair to get away from them, but I ended up falling on them, feeling their bodies crunch under me. *shudder*. Literally the next day in real life a cockroach fell on me from the ceiling onto my shoulder and I about had a conniption, screaming and crying and basically a mess.)

I know that may be wrong still.. but I can't help it. I literally panic and fear for my life when I see spiders or cockroaches and there is no way I could feasibly take it outside in a gentle way without losing my sanity. =/
#25 Old 08-28-2009, 08:00 AM
Beginner

Last night, I was in my kitchen, fixing up a late night snack. I was thinking about veganism at the time, and how "do no harm" is just such a great philosophy to live by. At that moment, a mosquito landed on the wall right next to me. I was halfway through the motion to swat it when I realized "wait a second!" The mosquito got away, but at least it didn't bite me, and at least I didn't go down as a hypocrite.

I don't judge any veg*n that swats insects, though, as long as it's a casual thing and not an obsessive hunt.
#26 Old 08-28-2009, 08:01 AM
Beginner

Last night, I was in my kitchen, fixing up a late night snack. I was thinking about veganism at the time, and how "do no harm" is just such a great philosophy to live by. At that moment, a mosquito landed on the wall right next to me. I was halfway through the motion to swat it when I realized "wait a second!" The mosquito got away, but at least it didn't bite me, and at least I didn't go down as a hypocrite.

I don't judge any veg*n that swats insects, though, as long as it's a casual thing and not an obsessive hunt.
#27 Old 08-28-2009, 09:24 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

Yes from undercooked meat that contain parasite eggs and parasite eggs are also spread by flies that go in animal excrement and then land on your food .

So the tape-worms aren't a problem for us.

If you can stand the smell, incense seems to repel flies pretty well. The great thing about it is wherever, whenever as long as you have a lighter and a stick with you can be fly free.
#28 Old 08-28-2009, 09:56 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

Haha if you only knew .

I've had malaria before (more than once) as a child so I know how miserable it is. We were living in Africa where malaria mosquitos were very common. I just want to point out that only a certain type of mosquitos carry malaria. You aren't going to get it from mosquitos in the U.S. or in a lot of other countries or regions (for example, malaria-carrying mosquitos are only in certain parts of Africa, not the whole continent).

Hey, maybe if people stopped killing spiders then they wouldn't have to kill flies! I would just leave spiders be in my house except they give my husband the heebie jeebies. I really don't mind spiders unless they are really huge.

This is an interesting conversation, in any case! I thought it was a universal vegetarian thing not to kill insects, but I guess it's not.

www.veganspoonful.com
#29 Old 08-28-2009, 10:02 AM
Beginner

^ You can get west nile, though, it's not like mosquitos are harmless.
#30 Old 08-28-2009, 03:23 PM
Lifelong vegetarian

When I was young (10 years) I killed a lot of insects. I still feel sorry about that.

Most insects leave the house alive.

Try to take care when I walk on the street and glad if I missed an ant.

Feel sorry when I hear in the dark the crack of a cochlea (snailhouse in DoubleDutch) under my feet.

I get very philosophical when I see a very, very small (pinpoint small) insect that is able to do something a human can't: To fly.

My usual answer: I have never heard a convincing reason to eat meat.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page