Can meat make us sick? - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 08-13-2009, 06:57 PM
Veggie Regular

My friend who has been vegetarian since birth because of her religion told me a story where her and her sister thought they found small bits of meat in their Chinese takeout and felt sick. When I questioned this she said when you've been vegetarian for so long only a small amount of meat would be a shock to your body and make you sick. Is this true? How long would you go without meat for it to be a shock? Not that I'd want to eat meat I've just been wondering since I've heard of long term vegetarians who suddenly went omni. Plus I was wondering if I accidentally found meat like they did if it could make me sick. Of course it could have all been mental.

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will then know peace" - Jimi Hendrix
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 08-13-2009, 07:05 PM
Veggie Regular

I think this is true, for meat as well as other animal products because I've only been a vegan for 2.5 years and prior to that I was able to do dairy fine. I went on vacation to Seattle and accidentally ordered something at an Indian restaurant that was in a cream sauce and it was my fault for not reading the description more carefully. I ate it anyway but I had bad stomach aches WHILE I was eating it but I didn't want it to go to waste.

“May all sentient beings be free of pain and suffering.  May all sentient beings experience eternal joy and happiness.  gate gate pāragate pārasaṃgate bodhi svāhā.”
http://www.facebook.com/doktormartini
http://twitter.com/#!/MartyBaureis
http://doktormartini.tumblr.com

#3 Old 08-13-2009, 07:28 PM
Veggie Regular

I have a pescatarian friend who once became very sick from eating soup made from chicken broth, because she didn't realize it was chicken broth until afterward. I haven't slipped up on meat in the 2.5 years since going veg, so I don't know personally.

--Fromper

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 08-13-2009, 07:45 PM
Veggie Regular

It doesn't happen for everyone, but yeah, it can happen.
#5 Old 08-13-2009, 08:09 PM
Veggie Regular

I get burp-ups when I've had something meated and didn't know it. So much fun.
#6 Old 08-13-2009, 10:30 PM
Veggie Regular

I think it really just depends on the person. Someone on another forum tried eating meat after being vegetarian for years, cause her doctor kept saying she needed more protein during her pregnancy, and she just assumed her doctor knew what she was talking about. Anyway, she couldn't handle it physically, it really messed her stomach up. But I've also seen vegetarians on other forums that have eaten meat by accident, or intentionally gone back to eating meat without any problems. I know for myself, if I ate pork, or beef, or butter, I'd be in trouble big time with my stomach. Infact even when I was lacto-ovo-veg I had to avoid butter at all costs, otherwise I'd be sick for days. I have no idea why butter affects me the way it does, all I can think of is cause of my IBS, I've noticed animal proteins and fats just don't agree with me. Not too long ago I ordered a dish at a restaurant that I was told was vegan and it had pork in it, I didn't notice cause it was in tiny tiny pieces until a little way into my meal my stomach started hurting a lot, exactly like it used to when I was omni and ate pork or beef, and sure enough the meal had bits of pork in it. I was really upset and disgusted. Needless to say I won't be going back there again, not that it matters much since I move in a month anyway.

As long as there are slaughterhouses there will be battlefields. - Leo Tolstoy
My blog -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
#7 Old 08-13-2009, 11:09 PM
Lifelong vegetarian

Don't want to try. Never eaten meat.

My usual answer: I have never heard a convincing reason to eat meat.
#8 Old 08-14-2009, 01:50 AM

I'd been a vegetarian/vegan for 8 years and then briefly went back to eating meat and it had no real bad effect on me. However, when I went back to being a veggie, I did feel much better in general, I hadn't realised how tired meat eating made me feel when I was eating it.
#9 Old 08-14-2009, 04:03 AM

I think it can happen, my sis was working on a cruise ship and had an allergy to something so she stayed off meat for quite some time, when she felt like everything was okay she started to eat meat agin and felt sick and had a bad stomach. But that didn't stop her. She just ate it till her stomach learn to settle on it agan.
#10 Old 08-14-2009, 04:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by @rno View Post

Don't want to try. Never eaten meat.

I wish I hadn't either.
#11 Old 08-14-2009, 05:26 AM
Veggie Regular

The daughter of one of my high school teachers back in the day was a long time vegetarian who was accidentally fed meat and ended up in the hospital with an intestinal obstruction -- apparently her body just couldn't digest it and it clogged her up.

http://megatarian.blogspot.com
#12 Old 08-16-2009, 02:12 AM
Veggie Regular

I think some people lose the enzymes necessary to digest meat if they don't eat it for a long time. I guess this is what lactose intolerance is as well; if you don't have the enzymes to digest milk, it makes you sick. I know people who've not eaten meat for 17 years and can eat it just fine. I also know a couple of lifetime vegetarians who would like to eat meat, but can't.
#13 Old 08-16-2009, 04:59 AM
Veggie Regular

I think it would make you sick after awhile if you didnt eat it, who would want to any way.
#14 Old 08-16-2009, 11:05 AM
Veggie Regular

I've accidentally eaten meat and eggs and haven't had any physical problems from it. However I can no longer eat dairy (accidentally) without getting sick.
#15 Old 08-16-2009, 02:04 PM

I think it would make you sick if you suddenly ate it.....someone slipped chicken broth to my sis and she got so sick.
#16 Old 08-16-2009, 07:07 PM

I have heard it can and a close friend had to be hospitalized after accidentally eating ground beef.
#17 Old 08-16-2009, 07:51 PM

I ate a little bit of popcorn chicken. Someone told me it was veggie chicken, LIAR. How idiotic of me but I digress. I didn't feel sick but I felt pretty tired the next day. I don't know if there was a connection though. My teacher, who is also a vegetarian, said it was probably because my body had to use more energy to digest it. She on the other hand cheated and ate a burger around that time and it made her feel like sh*t. I've been a vegetarian since 2004 but started vegan and she's been a vegetarian for about half a year.

When I quit being a vegan after some months, the first time I went back to dairy I had a caramel frappachino from Starbucks. I didn't feel sick then either, just really FULL. It felt.. heavy. I can't really explain it :/
#18 Old 08-16-2009, 08:15 PM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toast View Post

I wish I hadn't either.

Seconded.
#19 Old 08-22-2009, 06:19 AM

A while ago i went to a restaurant and ordered the vegetarian chilli, after trying it i noticed it tasted a bit strange. I asked the staff if it was defenantly vegetarian and the person who worked there checked the menu and said yes. So i carried on eating it. The next day i woke up feeling really sick and had a bad stomach ache. I was convinced they'd put some meat products in my chilli. I complained but never heard back, i refuse to go to that restaurant anymore, even though it aint confirmed it was meat i dont know what else would cause me to feel sick and have a stomach ache.
#20 Old 08-23-2009, 04:04 PM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikkinutcase View Post

A while ago i went to a restaurant and ordered the vegetarian chilli, after trying it i noticed it tasted a bit strange. I asked the staff if it was defenantly vegetarian and the person who worked there checked the menu and said yes. So i carried on eating it. The next day i woke up feeling really sick and had a bad stomach ache. I was convinced they'd put some meat products in my chilli. I complained but never heard back, i refuse to go to that restaurant anymore, even though it aint confirmed it was meat i dont know what else would cause me to feel sick and have a stomach ache.

maybe it wasnt that they put meat in your food. theres always a chance of spoiled food.
#21 Old 08-23-2009, 04:06 PM
Beginner

when i was making the transition. i started off cutting red meat. i would do well for months. i would slip once in a great while and after the fist bite, i'd have to run to the bathroom.
#22 Old 08-23-2009, 09:19 PM
VCN
Beginner

As others have said, it affects some more than others. I haven't had a serious slip-up yet, but my sister has been veg a few months longer than me. About three weeks ago she caved and decided to eat crab legs. She got as far as the second leg and her body completely rejected what she'd eaten. She said she spent most of the night throwing up.
#23 Old 08-24-2009, 05:34 AM
Beginner

Could it be that as vegetarians, the thought of meat inside of us makes us physically sick to our stomachs?
#24 Old 08-24-2009, 08:13 AM

My mother is a teacher and one of the kids at the school, who has been a vegetarian from birth, decided he was going to eat a bit of meat at the caffeteria with the rest of the kids. The kid started to feel really sick and trowing up the teacheres were so scared that they decided to call an ambulance. He went to the hospital, but I don't think nothing serious happened to him though.
#25 Old 08-24-2009, 12:14 PM

When I'd been veg for three years I ate potatoes with turkey gravy on them to make happy a beloved elderly aunt at Thanksgiving who didn't get that gravy was non-veg.

My attitude was, as long as I have to, I will enjoy it! I didn't enjoy eating it, or the profound dizziness and nausea that followed.
#26 Old 08-24-2009, 05:02 PM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Creepyfan View Post

Could it be that as vegetarians, the thought of meat inside of us makes us physically sick to our stomachs?

i dont think thats it for me. i still love the smell of meat. but i have no craving for it anymore
#27 Old 08-24-2009, 05:05 PM
Veggie Regular

Yea I think sometimes it's the thought of consuming meat that makes us sick. But

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will then know peace" - Jimi Hendrix
#28 Old 09-26-2009, 06:39 PM

I've run the gamut on intentional and unintentional meat-eatings: my grandmother is the master of carnivorous subterfuge, she once pureed turkey into my mashed potatoes at Thanksgiving, I've also gone back and forth between vegetarianism and pescetarianism and I find (for me at least) that the degree of discomfort depends on a couple factors:

1. What kind of ingredient? Broth or stock usually doesn't make me as sick as animal products such as lard; chicken stock upset my stomach less than beef stock (that waiter swore up and down the onion soup was vegan); and a few shrimp made me more ill than an unfortunate chicken/soy nugget mix up.

2. Did I know I was eating meat? In both cases, (yes and no) I have gotten sick. However, when I was upset about it I've felt much worse, mostly because for hours after the meal I worried about getting sick. I became completely vegetarian from being pescetarian for years simply because I couldn't find fresh enough fish. When I went to the beach after about half a year without fish, I wolfed down my favorite sandwich, a shrimp burger. Slightly sick, but I brushed it off, not thinking it had anything to do with my sandwich. A few shrimp cocktails later I was sure, and even though I had eaten fewer shrimp that time, I felt much worse than before.
#29 Old 09-27-2009, 05:24 AM
Veggie Regular

I was vegetarian for 5 years when I was much younger and was able to go back to eating meat without becoming ill. I do remember being surprised by how greasy it was.

Now that I'm vegan (and much older) just the thought of eating meat makes me ill.
#30 Old 09-28-2009, 12:09 AM

about six years ago, when i'd been a vegan for two years, i was fed a veggie burger at a restaurant by a waiter who swore it was vegan. when i thought it tasted funny, i called over the manager. he checked and saw that it had eggs. at that point, i was upset but not profoundly emotionally scarred by the incident...certainly not enough to warrant the week and a half's worth of severe hives that broke out all over my arms, stomach, and thighs the day after the incident.

other than that, i haven't consumed enough meat, dairy, or egg to create a real reaction in my body. i can usually tell if an animal product is in my food at this point and will, of course, promptly stop eating it.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page