Boca Burgers - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 08-06-2009, 01:54 PM

I'm a very new vegetarian (only a few weeks now) and am still a veggieburger virgin. I used to be somewhat of a burger connoisseur, so I've stayed away from trying veggieburgers out of fear that I will be so disappointed and become a little sad about giving up burgers.

Well, I'm going on a camping trip and have bought some Boca Burgers. I know a few people who aren't vegetarian and really like them, so I figured it was my best bet. My coworker said they are great, and I was enthusiastic about it. However, when I mentioned putting ketchup, mustard, season all, and cheese on it (like I would with a normal burger,) she quickly told me that it was not the same as meat and I shouldn't expect it to be.

What exactly should I expect? What do I season it with? Do I put cheese on it? What the hell am I supposed to do with it? lol I'm a little lost on how to treat my veggieburger.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 08-06-2009, 01:56 PM
Veggie Regular

I eat veggie burgers like regular burgers - mustard, ketchup, tomatoes, lettuce, etc...

And Boca burgers taste great, but they're made out of GMO soy, so if you have anything against genetically manipulated food, I'd go with a different brand of soy product.

Garden Burgers uses non-GMO soy, and their burgers are awesome. I totally recommend the Tex Mex one.
#3 Old 08-06-2009, 02:01 PM

What's the issue with genetically altered stuff? Why do people prefer non-altered? Just curious, I might prefer non altered as well.

I will pick up some of these garden burgers and try them too on my trip.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 08-06-2009, 02:16 PM
Veggie Regular

Don't get the ones that try to pretend to taste like beef. They fail miserably to taste that way, and many of them are pretty awful, especially the vegan ones. But there are plenty of good veggie burgers that don't even pretend to try and taste like meat. Just try different brands and flavors and decide for yourself what you like.

--Fromper

#5 Old 08-06-2009, 02:17 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
What's the issue with genetically altered stuff? Why do people prefer non-altered? Just curious, I might prefer non altered as well.

I will pick up some of these garden burgers and try them too on my trip.

The effects of ingesting genetically manipulated plants and animals has not been tested for long-term impact on human health. Genetically spliced material in GMOs does not remain stable, which means that the genetic properties of GMOs is constantly changing in unpredictable ways.

There have been examples of health impacts from use of GMOs. In Japan, a bacterium modified to synthesize amino acids did a wonderful job of pumping out the amino acids, but it also made a new one not found in nature. The new amino acid - manufactured in a food supplement powder - caused some deaths and a lot of irreversible mental and metabolic damage to hundreds of people until the product was recalled. Japan does not want GMO food. Australia does not want GMO food.

Beyond the direct risk associated with consuming GMOs, there is a certain risk of contamination of the existing varieties of landrace (pure heirloom) seed with GMO genetic material. This will pretty much guarantee the destruction of agricultural biodiversity.

The traits being bred into food plants are escaping to non-target species. The most famous example of this is milkweed that was cross pollinated by GMO corn and became toxic to Monarch Butterflies. Milkweed is the main foodsource of the endangered Monarch Butterfly. As a result of GMO infection, many of the butterflies have died.

Ten percent of biotechnology genes have already escaped into the natural world, infecting species they were not intended for. This could have cataclysmic effects on our ecological environment over extended periods of time.

Besides all that, GMOs are mainly pushed by the corporate behemoth Monsanto, which is pretty much 100% concentrated evil.
#6 Old 08-06-2009, 02:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kellye View Post

The effects of ingesting genetically manipulated plants and animals has not been tested for long-term impact on human health. Genetically spliced material in GMOs does not remain stable, which means that the genetic properties of GMOs is constantly changing in unpredictable ways.

There have been examples of health impacts from use of GMOs. In Japan, a bacterium modified to synthesize amino acids did a wonderful job of pumping out the amino acids, but it also made a new one not found in nature. The new amino acid - manufactured in a food supplement powder - caused some deaths and a lot of irreversible mental and metabolic damage to hundreds of people until the product was recalled. Japan does not want GMO food. Australia does not want GMO food.

Beyond the direct risk associated with consuming GMOs, there is a certain risk of contamination of the existing varieties of landrace (pure heirloom) seed with GMO genetic material. This will pretty much guarantee the destruction of agricultural biodiversity.

The traits being bred into food plants are escaping to non-target species. The most famous example of this is milkweed that was cross pollinated by GMO corn and became toxic to Monarch Butterflies. Milkweed is the main foodsource of the endangered Monarch Butterfly. As a result of GMO infection, many of the butterflies have died.

Ten percent of biotechnology genes have already escaped into the natural world, infecting species they were not intended for. This could have cataclysmic effects on our ecological environment over extended periods of time.

Besides all that, GMOs are mainly pushed by the corporate behemoth Monsanto, which is pretty much 100% concentrated evil.

Whoa. You're really smart! Lol I hope one day I will know as much as you about all the different aspects of not eating meat. I will go with the Garden Burgers from now on.
#7 Old 08-06-2009, 02:25 PM
Veggie Regular

I have grown to absolutely love veggie burgers, especially grilled. Recently I've been eating Morningstar Farms Garden Veggie Pattys. I have an omnivore friend who really likes the Spicy Black Bean Burger (also a Morningstar product). I haven't tried one yet, but I have some in my freezer.

And you can put whatever you want on it. I usually do cheese, ketchup, mustard, mayo, lettuce, and tomatoes. Just like a normal burger. The patty itself may not taste exactly like beef, but of all the faux meats, veggie burgers are the ones that really satisfy that craving for burgers.

Also, I've found veggie burgers taste really good if you cook them on a George Foreman grill, or just in a frying pan on the stove, rather than in the microwave.

Good luck!
#8 Old 08-06-2009, 02:33 PM
Veggie Regular

I usually cook my veggie burgers in the oven (well, toaster oven, technically). I agree with avoiding the microwave, but I don't have a grill.

--Fromper

#9 Old 08-06-2009, 02:34 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Whoa. You're really smart! Lol I hope one day I will know as much as you about all the different aspects of not eating meat. I will go with the Garden Burgers from now on.

Nah, just Googlelicious. Most of this info I knew, but the amino acid and monarch butterfly incidences were new info to me - I looked them up for concrete examples to explain why GMOs are no good.

And genetic manipulation aside, I just think the texture and taste of Garden Burgers is vastly better than Boca.
#10 Old 08-06-2009, 02:48 PM

I eat the morning star products too! IMO They taste the best. When I first went veg I wasn't expecting the products to taste like meat because..well..it's NOT meat. Expecting a "different" taste is how I went into it so as not to be disappointed and I love it! I eat them like a regular hamburger too. I've never had them on the grill or a microwave. It says on the box that the oven is recommended so that's what I use. I want to try them on the grill though but I just haven't :/ Also, They tend to fill you up alot faster. Like the chick'n nuggets..YUM! I can only eat a couple cause they're filling but they're so good!

I would just recommend a trial and error stage. Try a whole bunch of different things in different ways and decide what you like and don't like. It's what I did and I pretty much got it figured out..for the most part Good luck on your new way of living
#11 Old 08-06-2009, 03:35 PM
Veggie Regular

The only thing I don't treat like a hamburger, are ones that are clearly not 'burgers', but pattie this or that. My omni husband is wild about the FLAME GRILLED boca burgers. We are not people that sit around eating 2-3 burgers, just one and the rest all veggie stuff. I minimize the faux foods I eat, and soy, in general. The tomato basil would probably taste weird as a burger, don't know.

So eating them NOT as a burger, how's that better? Sometimes I wonder if people just tell you not to try to enjoy them as a burger really want you to decide they don't like them. If my omni husband tells me that he is happy to eat them, but make sure I have all the 'dressings' that go on a burger, he is proof that it works just like any burger. As I said, the flame-grilled taste the best to us. Don't wait till your trip, get one out and try it right away!
#12 Old 08-06-2009, 05:10 PM
Siv
Veggie Regular

I was never a burger person and also find that most packet veg burgers leave a lot to be desired. What I like is using a nicely marinated portobello mushroom instead of the burger... seriously good!
#13 Old 08-06-2009, 05:20 PM
Beginner

I have a bunch of Boca burgers sitting in my freezer, unopened. I got them, but I've enjoyed cooking my own food so much I just forgot about them!
#14 Old 08-06-2009, 11:19 PM
Veggie Regular

I eat Boca burgers just like normal burgers, with all the same "fixins". They aren't exactly the same but they taste pretty similar to me.
#15 Old 08-07-2009, 09:15 AM

Veggie burgers are definitely best when you cook them, cut them up and put them in wraps with beans, rice, and vegetables. I eat them like normal burgers too, though, with lettuce, mustard, and buns or bread. It does taste different, but the veggie burgers are still good. Honestly, I wouldn't recommend gorging on the meat alternative vegetarian foods anyway. I consider them luxury foods.
#16 Old 08-07-2009, 10:03 AM

A lot of veggie burgers don't taste like meat but that doesn't mean they don't taste good! If you're expecting them to taste exactly like meat then you might find them disappointing and gross (although after being veggie for a while you may find that the ones that do taste closer to meat are actually inedible), but if you just look at them as a new type of food then they're normally quite enjoyable.

I sometimes put burgers on a bun with tomatoes and lettuce and some salsa or something, but mostly I end up eating them by themselves with whatever else I'm eating (i.e. eating with a knife and fork).
#17 Old 08-07-2009, 12:37 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fromper View Post

Don't get the ones that try to pretend to taste like beef. They fail miserably to taste that way, and many of them are pretty awful, especially the vegan ones. But there are plenty of good veggie burgers that don't even pretend to try and taste like meat. Just try different brands and flavors and decide for yourself what you like.

--Fromper

I actually really like the vegan ones! I eat them on a bun or bread with lettuce, tomato, onion, and salt and pepper.
#18 Old 08-07-2009, 01:04 PM
Veggie Regular

I've yet to find a good faux hamburger, but Schneider's makes a line of meatless products called 'Oh Naturel!' that has a chick'n burger I have tried.

It is really, really good. It tastes just like a fast food chick'n burger. It's actually quite disconcerting.

Here is a review:

http://blogs.southshorenow.ca/vegan/?p=48

They aren't vegan, but they are yummy, especially baked.
#19 Old 08-07-2009, 01:15 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by FitChick99 View Post

I actually really like the vegan ones! I eat them on a bun or bread with lettuce, tomato, onion, and salt and pepper.

I've tried a couple of brands of vegan hamburgers that try to impersonate beef. Even loaded with ketchup and mustard to drown the taste, I ended up tossing them in the trash, because I couldn't bring myself to finish them. The Morningstar Grillers are at least edible, but they aren't vegan. But I prefer other veggie burgers that don't try to impersonate beef.

Actually, the Boca chikn patties are pretty good, and those are vegan.

--Fromper

#20 Old 08-07-2009, 01:29 PM

If you’re looking for a meat substitute, I’d say go Boca. Most of the omnis I know find them the most authentic and prefer them. However, if you’re just looking for something that’s really tasty, I’d choose an Original Garden Burger every time. They’re delicious, but definitely not beefy. I always have them on a bun with ketchup and all that. Yum!
#21 Old 08-07-2009, 02:28 PM
Riot Nrrrd

Boca Burgers actually turn me off a little bit. I can't tell you how well they replicate the flavor of beef (been too long), but in my imagination beef tastes like they do, thus the turn-off. <shrug>

Boca Chik'n Patties on the other hand I regularly enjoy. They taste less like I imagine the 'real deal' does than the burgers.

Faux meats kind of fascinate me. The brands that try the hardest seem to fail equally hard. It's interesting that certain sensations (for me, texture and 'bite') are often more important than others (the actual *flavor* is often secondary).

Dave in MPLS / DISCLAIMER: I am not an actual rooster.
"It is better to light a candle than to curse the darkness"
National Suicide Prevention Lifeline 18002738255
#22 Old 08-08-2009, 01:25 AM

Well, I tried a Boca Burger for the first time tonight. I was a little put off by the way it looked... it was all hard and plastic like. Anyways, I followed the instructions and fried it and I ended up burning one side. We had no buns, so I stuck it on wheat bread (which I don't really like, but I eat it anyways of course) and we had no cheese. Needless to say, I was pretty disappointed. I will say that I ate a delicious egg sandwhich right before and wasn't all that hungry either.

I will definitely try again and I just bought some Garden Burgers that look promising. Thanks for all of the advice! I'm definitely going to keep trying until I find something I really like.
#23 Old 08-08-2009, 02:32 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by MelanieS View Post

Well, I tried a Boca Burger for the first time tonight. I was a little put off by the way it looked... it was all hard and plastic like. Anyways, I followed the instructions and fried it and I ended up burning one side. We had no buns, so I stuck it on wheat bread (which I don't really like, but I eat it anyways of course) and we had no cheese. Needless to say, I was pretty disappointed. I will say that I ate a delicious egg sandwhich right before and wasn't all that hungry either.

I will definitely try again and I just bought some Garden Burgers that look promising. Thanks for all of the advice! I'm definitely going to keep trying until I find something I really like.

Ugh eggs are gross ! Haha .

But I like the Morning Star burgers too . Smother all veggie burgers with worschester sauce , cheese ( non-dairy ) , ketchup , mustard . . . the whole 9 . They won't taste as good as a regular burger at first ( unless your disgusted by meat ) but all the extras can make them come very close .
#24 Old 08-08-2009, 02:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave in MPLS View Post

Boca Burgers actually turn me off a little bit. I can't tell you how well they replicate the flavor of beef (been too long), but in my imagination beef tastes like they do, thus the turn-off. <shrug>

I'm exactly the same. I've never even tasted real beef so I don't know how close some of the veggie burgers I've had have actually been to it, but if they taste like I imaging beef to taste like then I can't eat them even though I know they're veggie- they make me feel a bit ill

I only like the fake meat products that don't taste like meat.
#25 Old 08-08-2009, 01:27 PM

I think the key to these products is to not expect them to taste like meat. They're not meat, but they have their own unique flavors.

Much like soy milk. If you expect it to taste like milk, you will be sorely unsatisfied. I prefer to call it soy drink. Most omnis I've known who hate soy milk tried their first glass thinking it will be exactly like milk. I'd suppose the same thing could be said of these faux meats.
#26 Old 08-08-2009, 05:39 PM

boca and msf are okay but I like to make my own those are the best veggie burgers..
#27 Old 08-10-2009, 08:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeFromSM View Post

Ugh eggs are gross ! Haha .

But I like the Morning Star burgers too . Smother all veggie burgers with worschester sauce , cheese ( non-dairy ) , ketchup , mustard . . . the whole 9 . They won't taste as good as a regular burger at first ( unless your disgusted by meat ) but all the extras can make them come very close .

I only recently found out that most worschester sauce is not vegetarian. I've found a vegetarian version, but, to me, it doesn't have a real worschester flavor. Do you have a good one you can recommend?
#28 Old 08-10-2009, 12:35 PM
Siv
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaymay View Post

I only recently found out that most worschester sauce is not vegetarian. I've found a vegetarian version, but, to me, it doesn't have a real worschester flavor. Do you have a good one you can recommend?

You need that fishy flavour and that's only going to come from seaweed in a vegetarian version. I have not found one that makes a good approximation of Worcestershire sauce but I do know that you should not get Japanese Worcestershire sauce as it's not the same stuff (but it is delicious!).

I have bought a bottle of Chinese Worcestershire sauce but I have yet to try it. I'll break it out tonight and let you know.

Wikipedia page has some suggestions.
#29 Old 08-10-2009, 01:50 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaymay View Post

Annie's makes one. http://www.anniesnaturals.com/organi..._&_bbq#jump204 (scroll down to the bottom).

I found it in a health food store.

However, I don't know what worcertershire sauce with anchovies tastes like to compare it.
#30 Old 08-10-2009, 03:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Siv View Post

You need that fishy flavour and that's only going to come from seaweed in a vegetarian version. I have not found one that makes a good approximation of Worcestershire sauce but I do know that you should not get Japanese Worcestershire sauce as it's not the same stuff (but it is delicious!).

I have bought a bottle of Chinese Worcestershire sauce but I have yet to try it. I'll break it out tonight and let you know.

Wikipedia page has some suggestions.

Thanks, Siv! I'm looking forward to your review of the Chinese version. I think you're right, seaweed might give it that flavor I'm looking for.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page