Vegan meetups? - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 12-13-2003, 07:05 AM
Veggie Regular

Does anyone here go to the meetups of http://vegan.meetup.com ?

Is this idea working? I mean, did you get to meet new vegans in the meetups?

It didn't seem to work here, althought a lot of vegans come to other events, so I wonder how it is in other places.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 12-13-2003, 08:29 AM
Banned

It seems like it would be fun for someone who is outgoing. Me - I'm too shy to do something like that. If I had a vegan or vegetarian friend nearby, I would probably do it and bring them along.

I would like to know, also, if anyone has tried this.
#3 Old 12-13-2003, 10:43 AM
Banned

i always go to the meetups here. the turnout is about 10-12 people. i guess it works here because the vegetarian community is very active and most people that go to the meetups already know each other well from the bimonthly vegan potlucks, volunteering, and other various social events
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 12-13-2003, 01:20 PM
Veggie Regular

I've been to the site, but they don'y have meet ups here.

Otherwise, I would certainly try to attend.
#5 Old 12-13-2003, 01:24 PM

I just joined, but theres hardly anyone signed up in my area. I think like 5 people. We do have a meet up January 3rd. I hope theres some single females in it, it'll suck if there isn't.
#6 Old 12-13-2003, 04:07 PM
Veggie Regular

I've signed up here (Tucson), but no one else did apparently, so it was cancelled...
#7 Old 12-13-2003, 06:20 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by FalafelsRule View Post

I just joined, but theres hardly anyone signed up in my area. I think like 5 people. We do have a meet up January 3rd. I hope theres some single females in it, it'll suck if there isn't.

That's a great attitude, Falafel. I'm so shocked you're still single.
#8 Old 12-13-2003, 07:25 PM

Whateva ... Seriously tho, I think it has more to do with all the Vegan women chasing Omni men as opposed to my attitude. On top of that, I am not settling for anyone who is not a Vegan. Just because you don't like it doesn't mean all females will think like you and deprive themselves of a good Vegan man.
#9 Old 12-14-2003, 08:19 AM
Banned

"Whatever" - a word used when you don't have anything intelligent to say.
#10 Old 12-14-2003, 08:33 AM

Lets try and keep the bashing to a minimum or better yet, none at all.
#11 Old 12-14-2003, 08:38 AM
Veggie Regular

i'm looking at the web site now. I'm wondering if i would go. phila and bala cynwyn are close enough (roughly 30 minutes), but i don' tknow if i would really meet people in "my area." if some of the people there were in "my area" i could definately do well in networking.
#12 Old 12-14-2003, 08:43 AM
Banned

I did meet a vegan in this area before, but she has since moved away, plus I don't know if she is/was involved in the meetups. I guess it would just be intimidating, but also fun if you mustered up the courage to go.

By the way, Falafel, the only reason I responded is because you made an assumption about what I think and what I "don't like," and I don't appreciate that.

I agree, though. We were getting off-topic. I think it would be wonderful if you had a vegan woman.
#13 Old 12-15-2003, 10:03 AM
Veggie Regular

I went to a Vegan Meetup in Chicago last August, had a great time, and met some really nice people!
#14 Old 12-15-2003, 10:51 AM
Veggie Regular

carnelian:

thanks for sharing your experience. i guess at some level i'm a little nervous about going. i've been to enough "chat meets" to be hesitant. but then, i guess all these folks are strangers.

i can't really figure out my thoughts on it.
#15 Old 12-16-2003, 02:25 AM
Veggie Regular

I've been to a few of the local vegan meetups here in Calgary.

My boyfriend came with me to the first two, and my best friend, also a vegan, to the third. The first one had 4 people including my boy and I, the second had 5 including the two of us. The third had 9 or 10 including my friend and I.

Just as I was heading off to my vacation, I joined up to help with a new vegetarian group and their things have 12-15 people averaging, so far, and it's only 6 weeks old. I'm hopeful that the meetups will get better, as we're not forcing them to be strictly vegan, but just veggie, in the hopes of building stronger community.

I'm pretty shy when not around a bunch of friends, but it feels good to meet other veggie folks and start feeling like there's some community, especially if you really don't know of any other veg*ans in your area.

I totally recommend doing the meetups if they happen in your area, or setting them up if they don't. It's fun to meet people!

Plus there's a new veg cafe that opened, run by a vegan, that I never would have heard of were it not for meetups. I finally get to go there and try it! Yay for vegan goodies!
#16 Old 12-16-2003, 02:57 AM
Veggie Regular

I keep missing them. One of them I forgot, one I was sick. The rest I had previous engagments. One day I'll go to one...one day.
#17 Old 12-16-2003, 12:34 PM
Veggie Regular

I have a couple of friends who met this nice vegan guy at VeganMeetup and he was a their Christmas party the other night. Nice fella, so I guess it works.
#18 Old 12-17-2003, 09:25 PM

um, why is one of the meet up options McDonald's? Hmm, that would make a funny sitcom episode
#19 Old 12-18-2003, 02:28 AM
Veggie Regular

They have weird options for the meetups. I dunno how they do it - I suspect that the meetup staff randomly select a few local establishments based on other city meetups.

I mean, for the vegetarian/vegan meetup, our local vegan place isn't listed, but it is for a totally unrelated meetup. Nothing as odd as McDonald's in our choices, but - you'd think they'd clue in to Buddha's Veggie??

It's crazy stuff. I'm thinking I'll join just to make options available.. now that we also have a vegetarian/vegan cafe in town!
#20 Old 12-27-2003, 06:48 PM
Veggie Regular

i go to them. i have met this really cool vegan couple and have become friends with them so we started hanging out outside of the meetups. they know of a ton of veg joints that ive never even heard of which is sad since they've been here 3mos and me 3 1/2 years but anyway i am discovering tons of knew places and they are really nice ppl. of course they are in their fortys so my friends keep saying they are swingers and trying to trick me in with veganism they are totally cool though. so even though the turnouts are usually small here i've met 3 friends from them now

‎"I just think there's something in being lost. I never feel lost. I just think, 'Oh. I've taken a diversion'." ~ Karl Pilkington
#21 Old 12-27-2003, 11:29 PM
Veggie Regular

Sounds fun but I would have to go to Chicago, a three-hour trip one way. All the cities closer to me didn't have enough interest. I hate the midwest.
#22 Old 12-29-2003, 12:42 AM

I signed up, but since I'm in Olympia it doesn't mean anything.... Meetup.com only works for big cities I think - and I hate how they discourage communication between members, i.e., you can't even get someone's e-mail address from that site.

Read samples from my poetry book at www.bruisedroseblossoms.com
#23 Old 12-29-2003, 06:10 PM

meetups!! I thought we only went to meatouts!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page