What to eat at Hibachi Japanese Steakhouse? - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 07-26-2009, 12:31 PM

Im going to Hibachi Japanese Steakhouse in Springfield PA. If you have been there what do you suggest?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 07-26-2009, 12:45 PM
Banned

Call the restaurant and tell them when you are visiting them and ask if they can prepare a veggie meal for you. This is far better than just showing up and hoping for the best.
#3 Old 07-26-2009, 12:45 PM

I don't know about that particular japanese steakhouse but my friends made me go to miyabi's Japanese steakhouse the day I decided to go vegiterian, and all I had were the mixed vegetables. And I made them cook the vegetables on the griller before they put any meat or any animal product on the griller with it. They are delicious imo.

There rice is probably ok too, unless you are vegan and you make sure they cook the rice and meat separately.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 07-26-2009, 01:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrFalafel View Post

Call the restaurant and tell them when you are visiting them and ask if they can prepare a veggie meal for you. This is far better than just showing up and hoping for the best.

Yeah I called and they said there was vegatarian stuff and that they would make my stuff first. Its the type of restarunt where they prepare it at the table.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subliminal_Heat View Post

I don't know about that particular japanese steakhouse but my friends made me go to miyabi's Japanese steakhouse the day I decided to go vegiterian, and all I had were the mixed vegetables. And I made them cook the vegetables on the griller before they put any meat or any animal product on the griller with it. They are delicious imo.

There rice is probably ok too, unless you are vegan and you make sure they cook the rice and meat separately.

Im assuming that is along the lines of what I will get.

I gave up on veganism. It was way to inconvient at this point in time for me. I would like to be vegan one day. Well mostly vegan. I have no problem eating eggs that a pet chicken lays and stuff like that.
#5 Old 08-09-2009, 09:01 PM

When I go to a hibachi place, I have the soup(usually just some miso broth with mushrooms and tofu), salad, fried rice, and veggies. Now that I'm trying to cut out all animal products from my diet, I will have to either refrain from the rice(which sucks because it's soooo good) or ask them to make a separate portion without the egg.
#6 Old 08-10-2009, 01:12 AM
Veggie Regular

Any Japanese steakhouse I have been to has a vegetarian meal by default, which consists of stir-fried vegetables (pretty much). The only issue has been the soup, which at my local restaurant is made from chicken broth. Many Japanese restaurants also have tofu dishes, and if they carry sushi, they probably have a vegetable roll.

In fact, Japanese restaurants such as this are a favorite of mine.
#7 Old 08-10-2009, 09:19 AM
Veggie Regular

I went to a Hibachi in Bensalem PA a few months ago. I had fried tofu, edamame, and cucumber rolls. They did have a veggie/rice stir fry available, but I felt like something more substantial. Just ask if anything has fish flakes on it (common in soups and sometimes on fried tofu). I think it's called bonito.
#8 Old 08-10-2009, 12:03 PM
Siv
Veggie Regular

If they do sushi then you are fine. There are avocado, seaweed, mushroom, tofu skin, egg (if you eat it) & cucumber items which can be made in hand rolls, cut rolls or as sushi. I actually prefer this to hibachi and as a matter of fact just had sushi for lunch!

I'll echo the "watch out for Bonito" mentioned above. Bonito looks like very fine flakes of seaweed but it's light brown (think flakey fish food). It's made from dried fish and it's usually added to a lot of stuff (in the miso soup, on top of tofu, on top of rice) so make sure you tell them you are veg and not to put any bonito on what you eat. It also melts into the food so if the dish has bonito put on top and they don't serve it straight away, you may not see it when you get it.
#9 Old 08-10-2009, 12:09 PM
Veggie Regular

Inari, Tamago, kappa roll, Avocado Roll, Avocado Asparagus & Cucumber roll, sweet potato roll.....assuming they do sushi. Green salad with ginger dressing, steamed rice and veggies.
#10 Old 08-10-2009, 01:49 PM
Siv
Veggie Regular

I just found this link and it's making me hungry! What an amazing variety of veg sushi!
#11 Old 07-02-2019, 12:09 PM
Vegan since 1991

This is a meat based soup, idiot. What the hell is happening to this forum?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

_________

Specific recommendations for a healthy diet include: eating more fruit, vegetables, legumes, nuts and grains; cutting down on salt, sugar and fats. It is also advisable to choose unsaturated fats, instead of saturated fats and towards the elimination of trans-fatty acids."
- United Nations' World Health Organization
http://www.who.int/topics/diet/en/

Last edited by silva; 07-02-2019 at 07:33 PM. Reason: removed quoted item that had been deleted
#12 Old 07-02-2019, 07:34 PM
Super Moderator

@David3 -- please don't quote posts that are inappropriate! They stay after the post (and/or poster) have been deleted!

Don't let the perfect be the enemy of the good
#13 Old 07-04-2019, 06:31 PM
Vegan since 1991

Quote:
Originally Posted by silva View Post
@David3 -- please don't quote posts that are inappropriate! They stay after the post (and/or poster) have been deleted!

Understood - I will stop doing that. I was just trying to insult the losers who leave those types of posts.

_________

Specific recommendations for a healthy diet include: eating more fruit, vegetables, legumes, nuts and grains; cutting down on salt, sugar and fats. It is also advisable to choose unsaturated fats, instead of saturated fats and towards the elimination of trans-fatty acids."
- United Nations' World Health Organization
http://www.who.int/topics/diet/en/

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in