VeggieBoards

VeggieBoards (https://www.veggieboards.com/forum/)
-   Vegetarian Support Forum (https://www.veggieboards.com/forum/11-vegetarian-support-forum/)
-   -   What to eat at Hibachi Japanese Steakhouse? (https://www.veggieboards.com/forum/11-vegetarian-support-forum/100660-what-eat-hibachi-japanese-steakhouse.html)

Aquaria89 07-26-2009 12:31 PM

Im going to Hibachi Japanese Steakhouse in Springfield PA. If you have been there what do you suggest?

MrFalafel 07-26-2009 12:45 PM

Call the restaurant and tell them when you are visiting them and ask if they can prepare a veggie meal for you. This is far better than just showing up and hoping for the best.

Subliminal_Heat 07-26-2009 12:45 PM

I don't know about that particular japanese steakhouse but my friends made me go to miyabi's Japanese steakhouse the day I decided to go vegiterian, and all I had were the mixed vegetables. And I made them cook the vegetables on the griller before they put any meat or any animal product on the griller with it. They are delicious imo.

There rice is probably ok too, unless you are vegan and you make sure they cook the rice and meat separately.

Aquaria89 07-26-2009 01:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrFalafel View Post

Call the restaurant and tell them when you are visiting them and ask if they can prepare a veggie meal for you. This is far better than just showing up and hoping for the best.

Yeah I called and they said there was vegatarian stuff and that they would make my stuff first. Its the type of restarunt where they prepare it at the table.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subliminal_Heat View Post

I don't know about that particular japanese steakhouse but my friends made me go to miyabi's Japanese steakhouse the day I decided to go vegiterian, and all I had were the mixed vegetables. And I made them cook the vegetables on the griller before they put any meat or any animal product on the griller with it. They are delicious imo.

There rice is probably ok too, unless you are vegan and you make sure they cook the rice and meat separately.

Im assuming that is along the lines of what I will get.

I gave up on veganism. It was way to inconvient at this point in time for me. I would like to be vegan one day. Well mostly vegan. I have no problem eating eggs that a pet chicken lays and stuff like that.

nicolettebeach8 08-09-2009 09:01 PM

When I go to a hibachi place, I have the soup(usually just some miso broth with mushrooms and tofu), salad, fried rice, and veggies. Now that I'm trying to cut out all animal products from my diet, I will have to either refrain from the rice(which sucks because it's soooo good) or ask them to make a separate portion without the egg.

dormouse 08-10-2009 01:12 AM

Any Japanese steakhouse I have been to has a vegetarian meal by default, which consists of stir-fried vegetables (pretty much). The only issue has been the soup, which at my local restaurant is made from chicken broth. Many Japanese restaurants also have tofu dishes, and if they carry sushi, they probably have a vegetable roll.

In fact, Japanese restaurants such as this are a favorite of mine.

Medesha 08-10-2009 09:19 AM

I went to a Hibachi in Bensalem PA a few months ago. I had fried tofu, edamame, and cucumber rolls. They did have a veggie/rice stir fry available, but I felt like something more substantial. Just ask if anything has fish flakes on it (common in soups and sometimes on fried tofu). I think it's called bonito.

Siv 08-10-2009 12:03 PM

If they do sushi then you are fine. There are avocado, seaweed, mushroom, tofu skin, egg (if you eat it) & cucumber items which can be made in hand rolls, cut rolls or as sushi. I actually prefer this to hibachi and as a matter of fact just had sushi for lunch!

I'll echo the "watch out for Bonito" mentioned above. Bonito looks like very fine flakes of seaweed but it's light brown (think flakey fish food). It's made from dried fish and it's usually added to a lot of stuff (in the miso soup, on top of tofu, on top of rice) so make sure you tell them you are veg and not to put any bonito on what you eat. It also melts into the food so if the dish has bonito put on top and they don't serve it straight away, you may not see it when you get it.

Nickle00 08-10-2009 12:09 PM

Inari, Tamago, kappa roll, Avocado Roll, Avocado Asparagus & Cucumber roll, sweet potato roll.....assuming they do sushi. Green salad with ginger dressing, steamed rice and veggies.

Siv 08-10-2009 01:49 PM

I just found this link and it's making me hungry! What an amazing variety of veg sushi!

David3 07-02-2019 12:09 PM

This is a meat based soup, idiot. What the hell is happening to this forum?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

silva 07-02-2019 07:34 PM

@David3 -- please don't quote posts that are inappropriate! They stay after the post (and/or poster) have been deleted!

David3 07-04-2019 06:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by silva (Post 4121802)
@David3 -- please don't quote posts that are inappropriate! They stay after the post (and/or poster) have been deleted!

Understood - I will stop doing that. I was just trying to insult the losers who leave those types of posts.