Asian restaurants - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 07-25-2009, 05:39 AM
Beginner

So I've been L-O for just over a month now, with veganism eventually in mind. But I slipped up for the first time last night, and it happened to be at an Asian restaurant.

It was my friend's birthday, and she invited me and my boyfriend out to dinner at this popular Asian restaurant to celebrate it. It was the first time I'd been there since I became vegetarian, and I was realizing, looking at the menu, just how few options I had. My personal favorite was the "Thai Vegetarian Chili", which had a note at the bottom: has a chicken stock base. Real vegetarian right there! I decided to get an appetizer of edemame and one of the specials, a vegetable platter with tofu. Now I didn't ask about the animal content of that vegetable platter because why would I need to? It's vegetables, dammit! And tofu, that means vegetarian, right?

So the edamame was tasty, of course - it's hard to screw that up. But when I got the vegetable platter, I took a few bites, and realized something was wrong. Yes, the entire thing was cooked in chicken stock, and it made me want to throw up. I asked the waitress about it, and she informed me that they have no vegetable stock, that almost everything in the store was cooked in chicken stock. (I explained this situation to my friend, and she didn't understand, and suggested it was "fake chicken.") She had the decency to remove it from the bill upon checkout, however, which is nicer than what some stores would have done.

What do you eat at Asian restaurants? How do you navigate a menu so heavily based upon animal products and such? Do you stick to the safe stuff like edamame, or is there anything a bit more flavorful that you like to order?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 07-25-2009, 07:02 AM

I go to restaurants that use vegetable oil, it's just a case of calling round them all to ask. Sometimes if you call the restaurant prior to going there to say you are a vegetarian and asking if they have anything suitable they will cook something just for you.

I've found Chinese and Thai restaurants to be some of the worst for using chicken stock or fishy bits in things that appear vegetarian. In the majority of Chinese restaurants I usually end up with a rather uninspiring vegetable chow mein, and it's pretty rare to find one using tofu in my area. However, I have come across Japanese restaurants in my area who cook in veg oil and have lots for veggie types to choose from on their menu.

You just have to find a place that caters for you, I generally avoid most asian food places because of this problem. It can be annoying, I visited some friends in England a few months ago and they all wanted to go to a Chinese buffet. The only thing I could eat was some salad and it looked like it had lain there for a few hours so ended up having only a soft drink, they then had the cheek to try and charge me for the buffet.

I prefer going for Indian or Italian food, much easier to find things to eat there.
#3 Old 07-26-2009, 11:27 PM
Veggie Regular

I order what I want and don't give much of a care to hidden ingredients/cooking methods. Things are going to get screwed up anyway so there's no use stressing out over it.

I figure if I can avoid obvious milk and obvious meat, I'm doing brilliant.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 07-26-2009, 11:35 PM

if im somewhere im unsure about i usually ask if the stock is vegetable or chicken, or if the curry has fish paste in it and all that kind of thing, [& sometimes i doubt their answers] but most of the time, i like to avoid that nonsense by going to asian restaurants that i know serve veggie or vegan.
#5 Old 07-26-2009, 11:38 PM
Veggie Regular

I have not found a good chinese place that I trust around here yet. But it's been a long time since I've been to one.
#6 Old 07-26-2009, 11:41 PM
Kiz
Veggie Regular

I ask. Most places that have chicken stock only are quite happy to cook you meal with just water and no stock.

Love the post? Why not buy the T-shirt!
http://www.kiz-shop.de/index.php?page=categorie&cat=8
http://www.kiz-shop.de/index.php?page=product&info=94
#7 Old 07-27-2009, 06:31 AM
Banned

I was doing my own thing quietly and YOU are the one who created this post trying to make a big deal out of it. Keep flaming the fire. That must be what you want.

#8 Old 07-27-2009, 09:23 AM
Veggie Regular

There are chinese veg*n restaurants where I live, so I trust them. But the omni ones....ehhhh...not so much. Too much meat contamination going on...but I don't nitpick on the hidden stuff so much since I rarely eat out unless it's a family celebration.

Most of the time, if I want chinese food, I just cook it at home.

The Vegan ABC's: East Meets West, VEGAN STYLE! A blog detailing the edibles in the life of an ABC (American-born Chinese) vegan.
http://theveganabc.blogspot.com/
#9 Old 07-27-2009, 10:09 AM
Veggie Regular

Yes, even "vegetarian menu" items from Asian places will sometimes have fish stock or sauce or some other animal parts/broth in them.

Ask other vegetarians in the area or find a place you can trust with all of your specifications. It's funny that such a watered-down definition of "vegetarian" is used, but it sounds like in your case, it wasn't listed as "vegetarian" for the vegetables and tofu. Tofu can be served with fish; vegetables can have shrimp added. Who knows? If it's not on a vegetarian menu, even if it sounds like an otherwise vegetarian item, don't trust it. If it's on a vegetarian menu, make sure to ask about broths, sauces, and everything that's in it. Don't be afriad to ask - it's your body and if you don't want animals harmed, make sure you know what you're eating.
#10 Old 07-27-2009, 11:12 AM

i remember going to a restaurant once that had veggie hot and sour soup on it, i love hot and sour soup so ordered it, when i got it, i dug my spoon in and picked up a dirty great lump of char sui. I think their veggie hot and sour was them trying to get meat free ladle-fulls from their meat soup vat

There is one however, one really good one here in liverpool that has a seperate veggie menu, most of the stuff on the menu is vegan and if its not they'll adapt it for you... (anyone in the area, its a place called Yuet Ben)

If I cant get in there I go to our local sushi place... they do vegetarian sushi and its really nice, cant go wrong with that..no dodgy sauces
#11 Old 07-28-2009, 06:06 PM

I wouldn't trust a asian omni take-away for veg*n food unless they were just catering for veg*n only, which I have yet to see in my area.
#12 Old 07-29-2009, 03:05 AM
Kiz
Veggie Regular

Depends on who runs it. There are honest cooks out there you know.

#13 Old 07-29-2009, 07:56 PM

I work in a Chinese restaurant, and everything there with a brown or white sauce has chicken broth in it. This includes the tofu w/ vegetables. The best bet is to ask beforehand, even if something seems like it should be vegetarian. When I first went veggie I spoke to my boss about it and she pointed out everything that was acceptable for a vegan diet. Other chinese places I have went have been very rude to me when I inquire, so I stick to where I work.

Something like this happened to me at a mexican restaurant. I ordered the vegetarian fajitas. It came out with chicken. Well when I mentioned it, they said that the vegetarian fajitas comes with chicken in it. I have not gone back there.
#14 Old 07-30-2009, 04:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by erog View Post

I work in a Chinese restaurant, and everything there with a brown or white sauce has chicken broth in it. This includes the tofu w/ vegetables. The best bet is to ask beforehand, even if something seems like it should be vegetarian. When I first went veggie I spoke to my boss about it and she pointed out everything that was acceptable for a vegan diet. Other chinese places I have went have been very rude to me when I inquire, so I stick to where I work.

Your so lucky to have a boss like that.

I knew a person that worked in a fast food place and there boss told them things that are vegetarian, when there not. That person ened up leaving when they eventually found out.

I'm not saying there aren't honest people out there, there are but the people that I've come acoss are manly honest when the mood strikes them, when it comes to there buisness, which is rarely sometimes.
#15 Old 07-30-2009, 04:47 AM
Kiz
Veggie Regular

You don't sound like you know very many nice people. I'd suggest getting some new acquaintances.

#16 Old 08-01-2009, 10:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiz View Post

I ask. Most places that have chicken stock only are quite happy to cook you meal with just water and no stock.

not the ones near me....and most dishes are swimming in brown gravy and I always assume that its beef and or some hidden ingredients even if they say its veggie.....so I dont eat there or just get plain veggies abnd rice.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page