Ugh, office christmas party at steakhouse - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 12-12-2003, 08:06 PM
Veggie Regular

For something sick, take a look at the menu of the restaruant where the office party for our workplace is being held:

http://www.outbacksteakhouse.com/men...erfriendly.asp

I have already decided I'm not going. It's a small group, they all know I'm veg*n, and quite frankly, I'm feeling very negatively about all things work-related lately. I think it's best I not be in a steakhouse on top of all of that.

Is there anything on that menu that doesn't have meat in it? Geez, even the salads are all meat-laden.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 12-12-2003, 09:08 PM
Veggie Regular

It's boring, but whenever I go to a place like that, I get a baked potato and a tossed salad. And they have some veggie sides (if you are vegan, you'll want to be very careful about how they are prepared) so you could even have them throw some of those sauteed mushrooms or other veggies on top of the potato, or get on the side. Just an idea. I haven't been to Outback in a very long time so I don't know how accomodating they are.
#3 Old 12-12-2003, 09:08 PM
Beginner

That's really sad. I know how you feel my bf just got his invite for his Christmas office party and you have to check whether you want a dead chicken or a dead cow. It's so annoying that they don't even consider having a veg option. I also hate when people do the same thing at weddings. Anyway we're not going to the party.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 12-12-2003, 09:15 PM
Veggie Regular

Well, I have already decided I'm not going (read this thread https://www.veggieboards.com/boards/s...ad.php?t=13009 if you have any questions as to why ) so this thread is more about just how disgusting the menu is.

The last thing I want to do is make nice in a steakhouse when I already feel the way I do about my work situation. I feel like at least half of the participants in the animal-eating bonanza has shown callous disregard for me and my efforts (which have involved 13 hour days all this week except for monday, which was my birthday) and I really need to be apart from them I think.
#5 Old 12-13-2003, 12:07 PM
Veggie Regular

My office party is tonight and it is a catered affair. The main dishes are filet mignon or sea bass - no veggie options that i am aware of. Plus the appetizers are going to be things like shrimp, meatballs, cocktail franks, etc. I am going to eat something before I go so I don't starve and hope that they have a decent salad, rolls and a good dessert. My office isn't veg friendly to begin with so I wasn't expecting much. It is going to be a bit awkard explaining why I don't want their old meaty dish. Good luck with your party meatless!!
#6 Old 12-13-2003, 12:21 PM
Veggie Regular

Our office party is at an italian restaurant, which is generally a good place to find something veg. There's only 5 of us, so its not a big deal anyway.

http://megatarian.blogspot.com
#7 Old 12-13-2003, 12:49 PM

meatless, normally I would tell people to eat before, go, and not be such a stick-in-the-mud. however, in your case, I can understand your problem; it isn't just about the menu with these people.

As for the outback, you can have them make you steamed veggies, a baked potato w/ margarine on the side, a side salad w/ oil and vinegar, a couple slices of garlic toast, and a glass of OJ. or you can just order a stiff drink

Furthermore, there is nothing wrong with asking for a special meal at a catered event, but please do it before time. Your company is paying the same amount of money for you to eat, regardless if you have 10 steaks or just a roll. Have your office admi manager call and tell them that you want a *hot* vegetarian meal (you have to identify that everyone else is getting a warm meal and you will not be). Give a list of easy to make items: a veggie stirfry, pasta w/ marinara sauce, etc. Stick with common foods.

If they refuse to do that, then tell your supervisor. If they laugh you off, put the compliant in writing and cc your boss' boss.

But, no matter what they bring you for your special, you have to eat at least part of it. No matter how disgusting it is, eat it.
#8 Old 12-13-2003, 01:08 PM
Veggie Regular

My company is too large (over 8,000 employees) to have an office party, but we do get an "Employee Appreciation" dinner every year served during lunch break. The choices are prime rib or turkey. No veg option. So, I'll be bringing my own marinated, grilled portabello mushroom, and I'll eat the steamed asparagus (I already asked, and it won't be prepared with butter) and plain baked potato (I'll bring my own Vegan sour cream and margarine) that comes on the side. Hopefully, the salad bar will also be open, but even if it isn't, I'll get enough to eat.

We also have a department Christmas pot luck party on-site, but it's always on Friday, and I work nights Sunday-Tuesday and every other Wednesday, so I'm not going to make a special trip out there (it's a 20 minute drive) just to attend.

On the other hand, my boss is giving each shift a pizza party to thank us for assisting with a big software rollout, and he came up to me and said, "I don't know what to get for you." I told him that I could do without, if it was going to be a pain in the rear, but if he wanted, he could either get me a veggie sandwich with no cheese and no mayo, or he could get me cheeseless veggie pizza. He said, "I didn't know there was any such thing as cheeseless pizza." LOL. But he was genuinely concerned and wanted to make sure I was included, which was very sweet. Of course, for the most part, I really like my job, so that makes things easy.

FWIW, if you didn't already have issues with your company (and you have my sympathy, since I've had similar problems with two former employers), I'd tell you to go ahead and go because Outback does have veg items (if you're creative), and since it's a party, you could call ahead and make special arrangements.
#9 Old 12-13-2003, 01:38 PM
Veggie Regular

If you don't feel close to your co-workers and don't particularly want to spend time with them, then it makes sense not to go. (In my case, I'd show up and get the stiff drink that someone mentioned )

The menu is awful, but it reminds me of my omni days, when I put meat in everything ... was that really me??

ETA: Why American cheese (sooo nasty, even when I loved cheese) on the Mad Max burger? Is it because Mel Gibson has such a perfect American accent?
#10 Old 12-13-2003, 03:20 PM
Veggie Regular

Our holiday luncheon will be a buffet for $15 a person. I'm not going so I can spend that much money to eat a potato and some rolls. I'm one of 3-4 people not going, that I know of. I know there will be vegetables and greens, but I'm pretty sure there's meat in the greens, and it's too much money for too few options for me. Screw 'em.

Anyway, we'll have a while elephant gift exchange when they all get back, so no big deal.
#11 Old 12-13-2003, 04:05 PM
Veggie Regular

I wouldn't go either, meatless.
#12 Old 12-13-2003, 06:36 PM
Banned

A few people mentioned a veggie sandwich, but that might not even be suitable. Who knows what these people put in their bread, on the grill?

I probably will never eat bread in a restaurant again due to this fact.

You have a good Christmas, Meatless, with a yummy, cruelty-free meal, bud!
#13 Old 12-14-2003, 04:02 AM
Veggie Regular

My Christmas party is at a steakhouse too!! Lonestar. And the one and only time I went their, I got dried, raw vegetable and pasta in half a bowl of water. Steakhouses don't do vegetarian well.
#14 Old 12-14-2003, 04:11 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by iceflower View Post

My Christmas party is at a steakhouse too!! Lonestar. And the one and only time I went their, I got dried, raw vegetable and pasta in half a bowl of water. Steakhouses don't do vegetarian well.

At one place I worked at I used to organise social stuff, and we'd often go to Lonestar (primarily the Penrith one)..... I never had any trouble getting a decent vegan meal.

The Keg (don't see them around anymore) were also quite good; they'd always give me a separate waitperson. So did Sizzler (the one that used to be at Penrith).
#15 Old 12-14-2003, 04:55 AM
Veggie Regular

If it's a small group and they know you're vegan, it's pretty inconsiderate of the organizer to choose a steakhouse.
#16 Old 12-14-2003, 05:13 AM
Veggie Regular

I think thats rude of them to choose a steak house considering the fact they know your a vegan, horrible people is what they are.

Quote:
Kookaburra Wings®

Known as Buffalo chicken wings here

in the States. Mild, Medium, or Hot

WTF? I've never heard anyone call chicken wings that in Aus. I hate that stereotypical view of Australians, I most certainly go to school in a kangaroo, say "g'day mate" and "crikey", enjoy throwing boomarangs and live in the outback.
#17 Old 12-14-2003, 05:42 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

Your Lonestar must suck. I've eaten at the one in Boise twice, and I got good (not great, but good) vegetarian meals on both occasions, and I didn't even call ahead. I did happen to be eating there during a slow time on both occasions (the restaurant business in Boise is booming, and we've learned that it's often better to eat early or you might end up at Taco Bell), so maybe that had something to do with it.

I guess it just shows that not every restaurant in a chain is the same. I thought veggie grill at Fridays here in Boise was AWFUL, and several people have commented that they had it in other cities and really liked it.
#18 Old 12-14-2003, 08:33 AM

They always have our Christmas party somewhere that isn't veg friendly. I call ahead and see if there is anything they can make special for me. They usually can. I opt to go just to show them that being vegetarian doesn't have to be inconvenient and doesn't alleinate (sp?) myself from the festivities.
#19 Old 12-14-2003, 09:36 AM
Veggie Regular

Ive pretty much stopped eating out with friends. They act like they are doing me a huge favor if they go to a restaraunt with a vegetarian option. It doesnt meatter how many times I explain that the ONE option has eggs/cheese etc in it. They tell me just order a salad. The week I spent in Ca I went out to eat once with my co-workers. By the time I left off all the egg and dairy items from the one vegetarian item, I paid $10 for some lettuce, red onions (which I dont like), an avacodo slice (which I dont like) and some tomato, and a bowl of fries... So I got lettuce, tomato and a potato for $10. Im so glad they were able to "accomadate me."

I didnt go out with them anymore to eat. And I skipped the Xmas dinner.
#20 Old 12-14-2003, 10:06 AM
Veggie Regular

*sigh*

I had just typed out a long response, and when I went to post the message I was informed by the screen that the board was being updated. Alas my message was lost.

I'll give it another go later when I am feeling less carpal-tunnelly.
#21 Old 12-14-2003, 10:29 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
By the time I left off all the egg and dairy items from the one vegetarian item, I paid $10 for some lettuce, red onions (which I dont like), an avacodo slice (which I dont like) and some tomato, and a bowl of fries... So I got lettuce, tomato and a potato for $10. Im so glad they were able to "accomadate me."

That always pisses me off especially. It's like, while you're removing half of the ingredients from this dish, ya think could remove half the price, too? I realize a tad more brain power might need to be used by the waitperson AND the line cook, but I don't think the strain is enought to merit the 500 percent mark-up.
#22 Old 12-14-2003, 11:48 AM
Veggie Regular

It really is thoughtless to choose a place where they know you can't feel comfortable. I feel really lucky that my office is making sure there's a vegetarian option at our party. The lady in charge told me that a lot of people weren't going to come because there was nothing for them to eat, so she made sure there was a meatless entree.

(Unfortunately, it still has cheese in it, but I appreciate the effort. And there's actually lots of potatoes and veggies I can eat, assuming it's not all covered with weird dairy concoctions. But I'm more lenient about stuff like this, where I don't have much of a choice, and my coworkers appreciate it that I'm not a self-righteous food nazi about things I can bring myself to eat and even enjoy on occasion. If it was meat, though, I'd have to forgo, since it would make me puke and that's not very festive.)
#23 Old 12-14-2003, 05:34 PM
Veggie Regular

That menu is hilarious from an Australian POV. It is so obviously contrived... I mean, monterey jack cheese (which we don't have) and ranch dressing (which I've also never seen here). Shrimp would NOT be served with marmalade. And those burgers... don't get me started on the burgers. Let me just say, it's not particularly Aussie at all*!

*unless you just get the charred flesh. :/
#24 Old 12-14-2003, 05:44 PM
Banned

Spot on, shewolf. I was wondering if people actually say those menu names when they order. Like, out loud.
#25 Old 12-14-2003, 05:58 PM
Veggie Regular

oohh.. nice av.
#26 Old 12-14-2003, 10:04 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurmudgeon View Post

At one place I worked at I used to organise social stuff, and we'd often go to Lonestar (primarily the Penrith one)..... I never had any trouble getting a decent vegan meal.

The Keg (don't see them around anymore) were also quite good; they'd always give me a separate waitperson. So did Sizzler (the one that used to be at Penrith).

it was the penrith one! maybe they've improved?
#27 Old 12-14-2003, 10:09 PM
Banned

Quote:

it was the penrith one! maybe they've improved?

Oh, it was a long time ago (before 1996). I did go sometime in the latter part of the 1990s for a school reunion (I discovered a way to get free drinks, too).
#28 Old 12-14-2003, 10:54 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by shewolf View Post

That menu is hilarious from an Australian POV.

I gotta say it again ... American cheese?? I hope that Australians don't really like that stuff!

On the other hand, last time I was there (a decade ago) Budweiser was a semi-pricey import beer. But I gather Australians feel the same way about we United Statesians paying top-dollar for Fosters?
#29 Old 12-14-2003, 11:21 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnyK View Post

I gotta say it again ... American cheese?? I hope that Australians don't really like that stuff!

On the other hand, last time I was there (a decade ago) Budweiser was a semi-pricey import beer. But I gather Australians feel the same way about we United Statesians paying top-dollar for Fosters?

Ewwww, Fosters!
#30 Old 12-14-2003, 11:24 PM
Veggie Regular

Seriously, now: can one walk into an Australian grocery and buy "American cheese"? And, if so, does anyone seem to actually like it?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page