Ugh, office christmas party at steakhouse - Page 3 - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#61 Old 12-16-2003, 09:59 PM
Veggie Regular

Nope, not sulking. Not about this anyway,

I talked to the other work-from-homer in my company and while he is by no means veg*n, he was very empathetic with regards to the pressure they tried to put on me to go. He doesn't want to go either, because like for me, it is not particularly convenient for him.

What I *may* do is show up for dessert. It's something one of them suggested, and I was non-committal, but it may be what I'll do. It's a pain in the ass to drive out there, but it would be a solution where I don't have to be around the consumption of huge amounts of cow carcass, but can still put in my time and not look like a bad sport.

I don't know that my co-workers even have a "problem" with me per se, but they sure don't understand that when I'm already working 15 hour days, I'm not going to be thrilled when they want me to pick up their slack. A friend I have who works there has heard things, that certain people are annoyed with me for "complaining" too much-- well, sooooorry if I'm not interested in working more than 75 hours a week while said annoyed person puts in 25-30, to do something that they should have taken care of.

Anyway... the good news is my boss told me yesterday that he sees I am way too stressed out and doing way more work than anyone else and he has decided to give me a bigger budget to farm out more of the work to freelancers. So that's a good thing for now.

Thanks to everyone for their input. This is my first job out of University and I'm still "learning the ropes."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#62 Old 12-16-2003, 11:43 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by christy13 View Post

I went to technical school with a girl who was from Australia. She worked part time at Outback and told me about all the contrived jargon and exaggerated accents. Would she be accused of selling out?

Hey, I like Fosters.

Nope, she'd be applauded for continuing the good work... We like taking the piss...

And I'll ignore the last statement.

Sorry, I'll stop being OT!
#63 Old 12-17-2003, 03:56 AM
Veggie Regular

my christmas party at the steakhouse went pretty good! (lets ignore the stuffed animal heads on the wall thing please). i had shelled peanuts (which i havent had in as long as i can remember), potato skins (very yum), pumpkin soup (minus the sour cream) and freshly baked bread (which was the best bit). all tasted good and my minus-the-butter-please requests were all respected.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#64 Old 12-17-2003, 05:33 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by meatless View Post

For something sick, take a look at the menu of the restaruant where the office party for our workplace is being held:

http://www.outbacksteakhouse.com/men...erfriendly.asp

I have already decided I'm not going. It's a small group, they all know I'm veg*n, and quite frankly, I'm feeling very negatively about all things work-related lately. I think it's best I not be in a steakhouse on top of all of that.

Is there anything on that menu that doesn't have meat in it? Geez, even the salads are all meat-laden.

You made the right decision. Don't go.

Am I the only one that has different thought with "landrovers" and "Down-under favorites" ?
#65 Old 09-21-2011, 10:58 PM

gah!! i could copy this post word for word, i'm sad to say. i'm hoping with all this lead time the venue will be happy to concoct a vegan meal for me (which does not consist merely of sides); my biggest issue is being around the meat fest and the questions (always with the questions) on what i am/am not eating.

i'm going to re-read carol adams's amazing "living among meat eaters", but am otherwise not super-confident about the whole thing. should i chuck a tantrum and not go (tough)? or do i play nice, play deaf, and sit only near people who aren't jerks (possibly tougher?)?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page