Ugh, office christmas party at steakhouse - Page 2 - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#31 Old 12-15-2003, 01:54 AM
Veggie Regular

what is american cheese? im imagining it at that orange pump cheese that goes on nachos.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#32 Old 12-15-2003, 09:18 AM
Veggie Regular

eeeew. I was there once and I had part of a blooming onion. As a vegan.. it's nearly impossible to find someething to eat there.

At times like this, I'm very thankful that 60% of the people at my company are veg*ns.
#33 Old 12-15-2003, 11:03 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by iceflower View Post

what is american cheese? im imagining it at that orange pump cheese that goes on nachos.

Well, here in the U.S., anyway, it's considered a proper type of cheese just like Swiss or Edam or cheddar or whatever -- but yes, it tastes a lot like that nacho crap. Blech. Actually, the nacho stuff is probably an "American-flavor pasteurized processed cheese food." We also have this dreadful stuff called Velveeta ... it's "American-flavor," but apparently not really cheese.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#34 Old 12-15-2003, 12:02 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
We also have this dreadful stuff called Velveeta ... it's "American-flavor," but apparently not really cheese.

I think for something to be called actual "cheese" it has to contain a certain percentage of real animal milk. I think they call Velveeta and the spray cheese stuff "cheese food." I feel a little nauseous now.
#35 Old 12-15-2003, 01:04 PM
Veggie Regular

I went to a place for an office party a couple years ago, and this was before I was veg, it was an "All the Meat You Can Eat" kind of place. It was this Columbian restaruant in the City (By Astor Place) where the waiters came around every 5 minutes with another 4 foot skewer of every animal known to man. I coulda swore they came around once and said "Panda steak, anyone?"

If it didn't come on a skewer, it came in a bowl, like shrimp or octopus. I swear there must have been 15 different animals served that night.

This year, it was Italian. Much easier!!
#36 Old 12-15-2003, 02:16 PM

Our office has been here 3x's in the last 2 years. They seem to like it. The only thing on the menu for me is the vegetarian pasta. I hate going there..simply hate it. It stinks to high heaven and the menu sickens me. But, to be held in political regards I still must go.
#37 Old 12-15-2003, 02:53 PM
Veggie Regular

MsRuthieB, every single solitary item on that menu had meat in it. Even all of the salads were "meat salads" (?!). Sheez Louise!

At the end of the menu it says that each entree comes with rice, veggies, and fried potatoes. Rice and potatoes and pasta. Man, my stomach hurts.
#38 Old 12-15-2003, 04:57 PM
Veggie Regular

*giggle* "FOSTERS: Australian for beer"

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA! *snortle* *choke*

And nope, we don't have American cheese, or Monterey jack, etc. They mostly just use cheddar on burgers...
#39 Old 12-15-2003, 05:59 PM
Veggie Regular

I went to technical school with a girl who was from Australia. She worked part time at Outback and told me about all the contrived jargon and exaggerated accents. Would she be accused of selling out?

Hey, I like Fosters.
#40 Old 12-15-2003, 07:01 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by skarrlett View Post

eeeew. I was there once and I had part of a blooming onion. As a vegan.. it's nearly impossible to find someething to eat there.

At times like this, I'm very thankful that 60% of the people at my company are veg*ns.

omigod! where do you work? i dont even KNOW any other vegans.
#41 Old 12-15-2003, 07:24 PM
Veggie Regular

yeah i've been to outback. nasty. the boyfriend took me there once after convincing me there must be some veggie options. i had a house salad hold the cheese and bacon. that's it.

his staff xmas party was this past saturday, luckily the company is japanese-owned so there was veggie sushi with the appetizers but the actual meal for me was a couple of dry rolls, some steamed carrots and green and yellow beans, and a cold pasta salad with oil and vinegar.

more than i was expecting honestly but i was hungry all night

I'm singin' here to get rid of fear
Hope it disappears right here with the rain
But I know life is pain, not like a fairytale
Meaningless to pray, so just goin' on my way
~Miyavi "Torture"
#42 Old 12-16-2003, 09:04 AM
Veggie Regular

Ugh.

I politely e-mailed the office administrator saying that I was going to sit this one out, and that I'm not really one for steakhouses and left it at that. She was cool with it, my boss was fine with it (and said his wife isn't coming because she doesn't like them either) but the other women in the office are throwing a fit. Part of why I don't want to go is the steakhouse, and the other part is because of the hellish week I had last week, and I feel like I have personally been trompled on by some of them, and that they have no regard for my time and my workload. I don't want to fight with them, and I'm also not feeling up to "playing nice." One of them has been almost like a mother-figure to me (you all don't know the sordid story of my family, but anyway) and I have felt really hurt by her disregard for my time. She makes three times as much as me and puts in half the hours, so that adds to how insulting it is that my time seems to be so disregarded. I think they were already mad at me last week for speaking out against this, but now it's all hugs and love, and why aren't you coming? I don't want to get into my ethical or personal reasons for it, but now I fear there's going to be some sort of backlash. It isn't just about what there is or isn't there for me to eat. Contrary to the assumptions on here I am not vegan, but "only" vegetarian, but I am intensely uncomfortable being around meat eating. My fiance is Vegetarian as well, so we are rarely confronted with it. I can deal with it sufficiently when I am in a normal frame of mind, but I am wounded and tired and so anxious for my holidays (which start friday! ) that I just don't want to deal with the lunch on top of everything else, but I am afraid now they're all gonna be madder at me if I don't go. Geez. But I don't want to get into any of this with them, I just tried to duck out politely and they threw a fit. Keep in mind, I work from home so who knows what they're saying about me since I'm not around.

Anyway, sigh. I really don't want to go, because of the steakhouse, because I need a break from the office stuff, because I feel hurt by their treatment of me, but I wonder if it will be more damaging to NOT go.
#43 Old 12-16-2003, 09:07 AM
Veggie Regular

I don't see the big deal. On my birthday last weekend i ordered 4 pounds of wings for everyone else and I had a veggie platter.
#44 Old 12-16-2003, 09:15 AM

Meatless..that's why I go. I bite the bullet, join in, and try to enjoy myself. It's not worth the hassel of dealing with not going..you know, the hassel you're going through now. I've looked at these situations more realistically now than when I first went vegetarian. I realize now that I am more the exception than the rule and parties are going to be planned with that in mind. That's just the way it is. Rather than have a whole group conform to me I put my best foot forward and try to make due with what they have. It all works out well for everyone in the end and I am am a better person for choosing the higher road.
#45 Old 12-16-2003, 09:16 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by MsRuthieB View Post

Meatless..that's why I go. I bite the bullet, join in, and try to enjoy myself. It's not worth the hassel of dealing with not going..you know, the hassel you're going through now. I've looked at these situations more realistically now than when I first went vegetarian. I realize now that I am more the exception than the rule and parties are going to be planned with that in mind. That's just the way it is. Rather than have a whole group conform to me I put my best foot forward and try to make due with what they have. It all works out well for everyone in the end and I am am a better person for choosing the higher road.

Well said!
#46 Old 12-16-2003, 09:17 AM
Veggie Regular

For me, the issue is very complex. I have been writing of my problems with my work a week now on this board. Not so simple.

As well, while you may have no problem purchasing meat, a lot of us do. I will never buy meat, even for someone else. I would have a huge issue with purchasing chicken wings. It isn't just about my consumption, it's about where my money goes. I will not use my money to purchase animal carcass, plain and simple. That's your choice if you want to, but not everyone feels the same way.
#47 Old 12-16-2003, 09:23 AM

This is where we are going for our Christmas Party this Thursday. I'll probably get the veggie burger. Or, I could get the Pennette Pasta (gonna have to call and check the ingredients on that one though).
#48 Old 12-16-2003, 09:24 AM
Veggie Regular

Ruthie, I'm not trying to make them conform to me. I don't think it's unfair for me to feel uncomfortable around people who are gorging on massive amounts of carcass. I'm not trying to say they can't, just that given the circumstances I don't really have it in me to participate and be able to smile about it. If I was happy in my job, and didn't feel so put out already by some of my coworkers due to their treatment of me lately, it wouldn't be as big of an issue though. I just feel like I need some space from them, but they're getting all upset about this, and STILL not giving a thought to how I feel.

I don't know. I really don't want to go. I am seriously emotionally drained and it's not just about the steakhouse.
#49 Old 12-16-2003, 09:28 AM

I totally understand. I didn't mean to imply that you wanted them to conform to you..sorry.

I truly don't care for half the people I work with. I leave in tears at least 3-4 times a year from the abuse I take. But, I'd rather go than endure the reprecussions of not going. One day will pass when I go, but the effects of not going are likely to linger.

Good luck to you!
#50 Old 12-16-2003, 09:30 AM
Veggie Regular

Luckily there are a few people here who are known to be antisocial and do not ever participate in the festivities. So in comparison, I don't look that weird. I mean, that's their choice, but you know how people talk. If you don't want to go, don't go. They can't make you, and what's it to them, anyway?
#51 Old 12-16-2003, 10:39 AM

meatless, there is no such thing as "only a vegetarian" and you will get a whacking if I hear you say that again about yourself.
#52 Old 12-16-2003, 10:41 AM
Veggie Regular

tee hee Krista, I'm actually pretty proud of it, but I knew "coming out" with it might tarnish my halo.
#53 Old 12-16-2003, 10:42 AM

halo my butt.
#54 Old 12-16-2003, 10:44 AM
Veggie Regular

Krista, maybe you should see a doctor about that!
#55 Old 12-16-2003, 10:45 AM
Veggie Regular

Hey, I just noticed this one:
#56 Old 12-16-2003, 10:47 AM

#57 Old 12-16-2003, 12:53 PM
Veggie Regular

I just skip those functions. Who cares? I don't have any love for my coworkers anyway.
#58 Old 12-16-2003, 01:31 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by kristadb View Post

meatless, there is no such thing as "only a vegetarian" and you will get a whacking if I hear you say that again about yourself.

Can you elaborate? Thanks..
#59 Old 12-16-2003, 05:48 PM

It doesn't require any. She is a vegetarian, not "only a vegetarian" like she's a subspecies or something.
#60 Old 12-16-2003, 06:29 PM
Veggie Regular

meatless-

I totally support you not going. If it were a different situation with your coworkers where there was a snowball's chance in hell that you'd enjoy yourself and not feel abused by being at a steakhouse with them, I'd say give it shot. But why take time out from your busy schedule to suffer when you will hopefully find a better job soon? (fingers crossed).

But of course I wouldn't support if you were making a big deal of not going as if you were sulking or something, but I don't think that is what you are doing.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page