working in food service - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 07-19-2009, 01:09 AM
Beginner

ok so i've been working at a restaurant called charley's in my mall's food court for a while, before i was even pescetarian, and until recently i've seen no reason not to work there. i guess my thoughts in general are that, even though almost everything we serve contains meat, it's a job that has to be done one way or the other, so if i quit someone else is going to do it in my place. i need a job, it's easy and i get to work with my friends. the only real annoyance until now was only being able to eat a philadelphia veggie sub which is just sauteed mushrooms, onions, and green peppers and cheese on a bun. it's ok but it's the only thing i eat at work besides the occasional fry, and it gets old but it's free so i eat it all the time.

anyway recently it's starting to make me feel bad seeing all that sliced up animal flesh laying on a grill, and so much at a time. one time i helped unload boxes of frozen slices of raw steak and chicken, and felt so guilty. I feel like i'm just a few steps away from being a butcher or someone who works at a factory farm and actually kills cows and pigs. i feel like such a hypocryt but i swollowed my feelings about it telling myself that i was only going to have this job for a little while longer and i just need the money. recently it's just been hard to continue. i mean sometimes when i'm not grilling, frying or putting together sandwiches, i'm actually handing out free samples of meat filled subs. what should i do? are my fealings right and i should have just quit a long time ago?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 07-19-2009, 04:24 AM
Veggie Regular

It sounds to me like you are not happy with working at your current job

and I can understand way.

You might give some thought to looking around at an other vocation when you

have the free time. Is their a healthy foods store or Rainbow style co-op

in your area? They might be very interested in an employee who understands

the needs and feelings of their customers.

Hope this helps some - Rich
#3 Old 07-19-2009, 04:58 AM
Veggie Regular

Feelings are feelings. No one can tell you they are right or wrong. They just ARE.

I think it would be hard to be a vegetarian and directly contribute to an industry that promotes the consumption of meat. And the idea of "if I quit someone else will just do it" is TRUE... You aren't the "last" employee available... But if that's the mentality, you could say "Why bother not eating meat? Even if I stop eating meat, someone else will buy that meat and eat it... so I might as well buy it and eat it."

Yanno? If it feels wrong to work there, it feels wrong! And it makes sense.

If I were you I would begin looking for another job. Who knows? You might be REALLY happy with a new one and it's a change you'll wish you'd made sooner!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 07-19-2009, 05:38 AM
Veggie Regular

Another job may be hard to find at the moment. You may have to stick with it until something else comes along. I know it can't be easy, it is difficult for any veggie to contemplate animals suffering. Good luck in your search for a new job
#5 Old 07-19-2009, 08:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmcdonald5 View Post

anyway recently it's starting to make me feel bad seeing all that sliced up animal flesh laying on a grill, and so much at a time. one time i helped unload boxes of frozen slices of raw steak and chicken, and felt so guilty. I feel like i'm just a few steps away from being a butcher or someone who works at a factory farm and actually kills cows and pigs.

if you can find another job that wont put you in contact with dead animals do it for sure, but until that time, its best to take a pragmatic approach. the animals youre handling are already dead, & not handling them anymore isnt going to bring them back. as long as you dont eat them & contribute to the demand for them, everythings sweet.
#6 Old 07-19-2009, 08:45 AM
Veggie Regular

Hi, I work in a cheapo frozen food store that sells loads and loads of meat. What is my job at 8am on a saturday morning? Stacking the chilled meat. I know its factory farmed, everything contains battery farmed eggs and it sucks. Our customers are often total idiots or abusive as well

BUT! Its the only place that ever offered me an interview. Getting a new job while I'm still studying isn't really an option. The way i see it is, I'm not contributing to their profit, and my wages can go on buying lovely organic veggie and vegan food, and fairtrade/organic clothing and cruelty free makeup that I couldn't afford otherwise.

I was actually thinking about making a thread similar to this, to see if anyone else is in a job that may be opposite to their ethics. My degree isn't much better. I study conservation and restoration of historical objects and whilst I love it, we use a lot of chemicals, adhesives and pigments I know will be tested on animals and it guts me. I hope to go into an area of conservation eventually that uses less of these hazardous materials.
#7 Old 07-19-2009, 12:48 PM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Semicharmed View Post

I think it would be hard to be a vegetarian and directly contribute to an industry that promotes the consumption of meat. And the idea of "if I quit someone else will just do it" is TRUE... You aren't the "last" employee available... But if that's the mentality, you could say "Why bother not eating meat? Even if I stop eating meat, someone else will buy that meat and eat it... so I might as well buy it and eat it."

you're right. i'm going to have to get a new job. i was thinking about a local earth fair (health food grocery store), but they sell a lot of meat so even though i'd get a discount on a lot of good veggie food, i think i'll pass and get a desk job. haha.
#8 Old 07-19-2009, 01:15 PM

I totally get that you're unhappy and that you feel bad for working in a business whose products you think are wrong. I would encourage you to find another job if you can. I wouldn't beat yourself up over your current job though. We live in a meat obsessed culture and there are times when this is unavoidable. Like, when I make the fast food runs for my coworkers. Do I want to go and order their food with the flesh of tortured factory farm animals in it? Nope. Do I do it? Yep, because I they happily order my non-meat food for me when its their turn to make the run and because I cannot tell them what to do or control them in any way. I'm guessing you need a job to support yourself. I would continue to work the job you have until you've secured another one that doesn't require to compromise your values in the way that your current one does.
#9 Old 07-19-2009, 01:19 PM
Herbivorous Urchin

Quote:
Originally Posted by tetsuo29 View Post

I totally get that you're unhappy and that you feel bad for working in a business whose products you think are wrong. I would encourage you to find another job if you can. I wouldn't beat yourself up over your current job though. We live in a meat obsessed culture and there are times when this is unavoidable. Like, when I make the fast food runs for my coworkers. Do I want to go and order their food with the flesh of tortured factory farm animals in it? Nope. Do I do it? Yep, because I they happily order my non-meat food for me when its their turn to make the run and because I cannot tell them what to do or control them in any way. I'm guessing you need a job to support yourself. I would continue to work the job you have until you've secured another one that doesn't require to compromise your values in the way that your current one does.

+2 (two cause meh kitty is on my lap).

Quote:
"You will always be fond of me. I represent to you all the sins you never had the courage to commit.”
Oscar Wilde, The Picture of Dorian Gray
#10 Old 07-19-2009, 04:48 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by tetsuo29 View Post

Agreed. If you have time, go look for other jobs where you'll be happier. But if you need the money, just stay where you are until you've found that better job.

Oddly, I'm in a similar situation right now - ethically disagreeing with the business I work for - even though I'm not serving meat, just a desk job working on computer systems.

I work at a vitamin company that sells lots of brands, but our own "house" brand that we manufacture is almost entirely gelatin capsules. Knowing how much my company accommodates veg*ns with the other brands we carry, I previously made the decision that I consider this a relatively veg*n friendly company, so I decided to ignore the gelatin capsules. I even managed to do a little good by pointing out that one of our products with gelatin was mislabeled as vegetarian, so the labels could be corrected.

But I recently found out something bad about my company, which I don't want to talk about in detail here. But it really, really, REALLY pisses me off, from an ethical perspective. It's enough for me to consider going job hunting, just because I've completely lost respect for the company. I just don't know how successful I'll be job hunting in this economy, especially since I'm working so many hours at the current job that I have no free time.

--Fromper

#11 Old 07-19-2009, 08:15 PM

I feel for you. I used to work at McDonald's. When I started, I wasn't actually vegetarian. However, by the time I finished, I was vegetarian and communist (not that the two are related). So for one, I was working for the "evil corporation" and for two, I was contributing to the slaughter of animals.

I worked quite awhile before quitting. I actually quit because of other reasons rather than some great moral act. Honestly, a person is really kidding themselves if they think they can be some sort of moral hero. All you can do is try your best.

Should you quit or find another job. I struggled with that myself. Ultimately, would being without the guilt of working outweigh the benefits you get from working. I'm not sure ethics are much more than feelings. That's if ethics are simply based on feelings. If they have a greater rationality to them, the question is even harder.

Really, I'm not a person with moral answers for you. I'm vegetarian, and I'm not sure eating meat is wrong. Killing animals is wrong. Technically, people are demanding a service, meat, and seen as somewhat responsible for the death of those animals. By that reasoning, providing the service might make you somewhat responsible. I don't know.

Does the allowance of people to make their own dietary choices outweigh other issues here. Is the only person truly at fault the one who is killing the animal. I have no answers to this issue, and I study philosophy, my primary interest being ethics.

Economically speaking, you don't play an essential role in the system, you leaving will have someone else fill your place. Demand is fixed and independent of you. Individuals wanting the profit will take your job or the price of meat will go up. If the price of meat goes up, in my opinion, conditions of animals would worsen. You "might" even be helping animals in the long-run.
#12 Old 07-20-2009, 05:12 PM

I get what your saying and feel....I say stay where you are till you find something else...thats what my parents always say....see mom and dad I listened...lol...hope you are happy soon
#13 Old 07-21-2009, 03:00 PM

You sound like me on a daily basis. I assure you your feelng are totally natural, i'm sure we're not the only ones.

If i were you i would stay at this job until you can find another. To me their no point in staying at a job you don't like, if you can help it. Maybe you'll find something you'll really enjoy doing next.

I sound like a hippacrite giving advice that i may never take. So just to clarify. I feel obligated to help my parents family run buisness, so wish i wouldn't feel bad if wanting to quit.

Hope all goes well for you.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page