VeggieBoards banner

Supplements.

1K views 13 replies 8 participants last post by  penandpaper 
#1 ·
In order to get the vitamins and minerals I need, I usually take four daily supplements. I've done a little research on all of them but if anyone knows anything about them or knows of healthier alternatives, advice is greatly appreciated.

1) New Chapter Organics- Only One multivitamin.

2) Solgar Ginko Biloba (Highly recommended for anyone experiencing memory difficulties)

3) Spring Valley Super B Complex

4) L-Glutamine 1500 mg

My only complaints in regards to a vegetarian lifestyle are fatigue, brittle, dry hair, and a little bloating. If anyone has any suggestions for those ailments, let me know!

Thanks

See less See more
#2 ·
http://www.chiroeco.com/chiropractic...uids-vs-pills/

Quote:
PILL CONS

Con: Rate of absorption. It has been demonstrated that only 10 percent to 20 percent of the nutrients in pills actually are absorbed. The National Advisory Board states that 100 milligrams consumed in tablet form translates into a concentration of only 8.3 milligrams or 8.3 percent in the blood.2
That's my biggest problem with pill supplements, you don't... really get what your taking.

I really really like: http://www.healthforce.com/index.php...tpage&Itemid=1

Especially their http://www.healthforce.com/index.php...mart&Itemid=65

I usually put it in smoothies for breakfast, add it to some blended strawberries and bananas, Mmm Mmm Mmm.

#3 ·
Interesting. I'll check that out, the site and the product you linked. Is that Vitamineral 4.8 also a detoxification agent? I've been looking for an all natural detoxification tea or supplement but haven't been able to find anything I really like. So, if that product detoxifies, I could check off two things on my to do list with one product!

#5 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by penandpaper View Post

Interesting. I'll check that out, the site and the product you linked. Is that Vitamineral 4.8 also a detoxification agent? I've been looking for an all natural detoxification tea or supplement but haven't been able to find anything I really like. So, if that product detoxifies, I could check off two things on my to do list with one product!
You know, it might. That company is really really helpfull, I'd go ahead and send them an email with a question or two.

I know I have two tablespoons of it every morning, its amazing the energy and mindfullness it gives you.

#7 ·
Check out the book "Becoming Vegetarian" by Melina and Davis. Sounds like you need more healthy food and less supplements. I take a multi-vitamin a few times a week, just in case, but I probably don't even need it. And I'm not a particularly healthy eater, mostly because I hate cooking, so I do a lot of prepackaged foods and eat out a lot.

--Fromper

#10 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by penandpaper View Post

1) New Chapter Organics- Only One multivitamin.
I would never purchase a New Chapter product. They were involved in having their Zyflamend product (and likely other products) animal tested.

At one point they bragged about test results on the packaging and linked to animal testing at Columbia from their site. Now they've whitewashed the animal testing from their site, and instead of linking directly to the animal testing articles, they've summarized them and don't mention the animal testing. They say "they" don't test on animals, but it's a very hard sell to say they don't sponsor it, and they've certainly promoted it. As a company they are clearly not philosophically against animal testing. But they know they have consumers who would be.

I won't go digging for the Columbia articles now, but here's something that came up on a quick search.

http://www.raysahelian.com/zyflamend.html

Quote:
A hamster cheek pouch model was used in which 0.5% DMBA was applied topically onto the left cheek pouch of male Syrian golden hamsters either three times per week for 3 weeks (short term) or 6 weeks (long term). Zyflamend was then applied topically at one of three different doses onto the left cheek pouch three times for 1 week (short-term study) or chronically for 18 weeks...
There are other studies where animals are killed and dissected.

#12 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by dormouse View Post

yellow dock (a herb for increasing iron stores.
You might consider using cast iron cookware if you don't already.

#14 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irizary View Post

I would never purchase a New Chapter product. They were involved in having their Zyflamend product (and likely other products) animal tested.

At one point they bragged about test results on the packaging and linked to animal testing at Columbia from their site. Now they've whitewashed the animal testing from their site, and instead of linking directly to the animal testing articles, they've summarized them and don't mention the animal testing. They say "they" don't test on animals, but it's a very hard sell to say they don't sponsor it, and they've certainly promoted it. As a company they are clearly not philosophically against animal testing. But they know they have consumers who would be.

I won't go digging for the Columbia articles now, but here's something that came up on a quick search.

http://www.raysahelian.com/zyflamend.html

There are other studies where animals are killed and dissected.
WHAT? I was totally unaware.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.