Supplements. - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 07-18-2009, 04:55 PM

In order to get the vitamins and minerals I need, I usually take four daily supplements. I've done a little research on all of them but if anyone knows anything about them or knows of healthier alternatives, advice is greatly appreciated.

1) New Chapter Organics- Only One multivitamin.

2) Solgar Ginko Biloba (Highly recommended for anyone experiencing memory difficulties)

3) Spring Valley Super B Complex

4) L-Glutamine 1500 mg

My only complaints in regards to a vegetarian lifestyle are fatigue, brittle, dry hair, and a little bloating. If anyone has any suggestions for those ailments, let me know!

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 07-18-2009, 05:09 PM
Herbivorous Urchin

http://www.chiroeco.com/chiropractic...uids-vs-pills/

Quote:
PILL CONS

Con: Rate of absorption. It has been demonstrated that only 10 percent to 20 percent of the nutrients in pills actually are absorbed. The National Advisory Board states that 100 milligrams consumed in tablet form translates into a concentration of only 8.3 milligrams or 8.3 percent in the blood.2

That's my biggest problem with pill supplements, you don't... really get what your taking.

I really really like: http://www.healthforce.com/index.php...tpage&Itemid=1

Especially their http://www.healthforce.com/index.php...mart&Itemid=65

I usually put it in smoothies for breakfast, add it to some blended strawberries and bananas, Mmm Mmm Mmm.

Quote:
"You will always be fond of me. I represent to you all the sins you never had the courage to commit.”
Oscar Wilde, The Picture of Dorian Gray
#3 Old 07-19-2009, 01:08 PM

Interesting. I'll check that out, the site and the product you linked. Is that Vitamineral 4.8 also a detoxification agent? I've been looking for an all natural detoxification tea or supplement but haven't been able to find anything I really like. So, if that product detoxifies, I could check off two things on my to do list with one product!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 07-19-2009, 01:10 PM

Another common problem to watch for - gelatin capsules!
#5 Old 07-19-2009, 01:12 PM
Herbivorous Urchin

Quote:
Originally Posted by penandpaper View Post

Interesting. I'll check that out, the site and the product you linked. Is that Vitamineral 4.8 also a detoxification agent? I've been looking for an all natural detoxification tea or supplement but haven't been able to find anything I really like. So, if that product detoxifies, I could check off two things on my to do list with one product!

You know, it might. That company is really really helpfull, I'd go ahead and send them an email with a question or two.

I know I have two tablespoons of it every morning, its amazing the energy and mindfullness it gives you.

Quote:
"You will always be fond of me. I represent to you all the sins you never had the courage to commit.”
Oscar Wilde, The Picture of Dorian Gray
#6 Old 07-19-2009, 01:13 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buenosdiaspet View Post

Another common problem to watch for - gelatin capsules!

+1

Gelatin is the bane of my existence... I had to replace my multivitamin with a new one because of it. (Not to mention all the other sneaky places gelatin hides!)
#7 Old 07-19-2009, 04:50 PM
Veggie Regular

Check out the book "Becoming Vegetarian" by Melina and Davis. Sounds like you need more healthy food and less supplements. I take a multi-vitamin a few times a week, just in case, but I probably don't even need it. And I'm not a particularly healthy eater, mostly because I hate cooking, so I do a lot of prepackaged foods and eat out a lot.

--Fromper

#8 Old 07-20-2009, 08:47 AM

All right, I'll check it out. Thanks
#9 Old 07-20-2009, 09:21 AM

I just make sure I eat flaxseed oil or ground flaxseed for Omega 3 and one supplement from www.vegansociety.co.uk which contains B12, Vitamin D and iodine, I think.. the book I recently read, 'Plant Based Nutrition and Health', recommends those only.
#10 Old 07-20-2009, 10:33 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by penandpaper View Post

1) New Chapter Organics- Only One multivitamin.

I would never purchase a New Chapter product. They were involved in having their Zyflamend product (and likely other products) animal tested.

At one point they bragged about test results on the packaging and linked to animal testing at Columbia from their site. Now they've whitewashed the animal testing from their site, and instead of linking directly to the animal testing articles, they've summarized them and don't mention the animal testing. They say "they" don't test on animals, but it's a very hard sell to say they don't sponsor it, and they've certainly promoted it. As a company they are clearly not philosophically against animal testing. But they know they have consumers who would be.

I won't go digging for the Columbia articles now, but here's something that came up on a quick search.

http://www.raysahelian.com/zyflamend.html

Quote:
A hamster cheek pouch model was used in which 0.5% DMBA was applied topically onto the left cheek pouch of male Syrian golden hamsters either three times per week for 3 weeks (short term) or 6 weeks (long term). Zyflamend was then applied topically at one of three different doses onto the left cheek pouch three times for 1 week (short-term study) or chronically for 18 weeks...

There are other studies where animals are killed and dissected.

"If you want to know where you would have stood on slavery before the civil war, don't look at where you stand on slavery today, look at where you stand on animal rights." - Paul Watson.

Every animal you eat
was running for her life

#11 Old 07-20-2009, 10:37 AM
Veggie Regular

I take a daily multivitamin (found gelatin-free at Whole Foods), a two sublingual B-12 lozenges twice a week, and yellow dock (a herb for increasing iron stores. The last two were directed by my doctor after I got a blood test.

My pee is so neon.
#12 Old 07-20-2009, 10:39 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by dormouse View Post

yellow dock (a herb for increasing iron stores.

You might consider using cast iron cookware if you don't already.

"If you want to know where you would have stood on slavery before the civil war, don't look at where you stand on slavery today, look at where you stand on animal rights." - Paul Watson.

Every animal you eat
was running for her life

#13 Old 07-20-2009, 11:39 AM

WHAT?! I was totally unaware.
#14 Old 07-20-2009, 11:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irizary View Post

I would never purchase a New Chapter product. They were involved in having their Zyflamend product (and likely other products) animal tested.

At one point they bragged about test results on the packaging and linked to animal testing at Columbia from their site. Now they've whitewashed the animal testing from their site, and instead of linking directly to the animal testing articles, they've summarized them and don't mention the animal testing. They say "they" don't test on animals, but it's a very hard sell to say they don't sponsor it, and they've certainly promoted it. As a company they are clearly not philosophically against animal testing. But they know they have consumers who would be.

I won't go digging for the Columbia articles now, but here's something that came up on a quick search.

http://www.raysahelian.com/zyflamend.html

There are other studies where animals are killed and dissected.

WHAT? I was totally unaware.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page