Utah Anyone in Salt lake city March 22-27th? - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 03-24-2008, 08:38 AM
Veggie Regular

I dont think anyone checks these local state forums... so ill post in a general section later too.

From March 23rd to March 27th my Girlfriend and I will be traveling out to Salt Lake city, UT. My aunt has a house out there and so im trying to squeeze in a little vacation/road trip before i get busy with work this season. We have a whole slew of veg places were going to stop at on the way there and while in Salt Lake City. Any other Veg people on here from there that would want to meet up?

A buddy of mine from NJ used to live there and may be going with us.

email me if youd like, [email protected]

Anyway, we went to Sage cafe which was great and Sweet tomato salad place here. Its really nice out here!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 04-17-2008, 08:50 AM

I just found these forums, so I missed your post. If you're ever out here again give me a holler.
#3 Old 08-21-2008, 04:30 AM
Banned

It's strange to sit in a really nice place, watch cute couples eating and canoodling, and think "he's not getting her drunk? what's the point of taking her out to dinner?" because they're just drinking water. Like living on another planet.

------------------------

Linc

Utah Drug Treatment
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 01-26-2009, 04:14 PM

My fiancee and I live in Ogden,which is right outside of Salt Lake City.

Why?
#5 Old 01-26-2009, 04:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lincrasto123 View Post

It's strange to sit in a really nice place, watch cute couples eating and canoodling, and think "he's not getting her drunk? what's the point of taking her out to dinner?" because they're just drinking water. Like living on another planet.

------------------------

Linc

Utah Drug Treatment

Yes. It is a different world. A lot of fat people.(I know that sounds inflammatory. I'm just making an observation) I moved here from Phoenix about 3 months ago.

However, the bars serve real beer. Lot's of micro breweries with vegetarian stuff and they will accommodate vegans.
#6 Old 02-18-2009, 10:50 AM
Veggie Regular

I'm going to be moving to Midvale in October to be with my boy. <3 Just visited last month and am going to visit again next month, late March.

Coming from South Florida, it's a HUGE change in climate, altitude, scenery, culture, diversity and all of that... but WOW, it is so gorgeous!!! I'm excited that I'm going to live somewhere with 4 distinct seasons, haha.

I've heard of Sage's Cafe, are there any other places to check out? I'm excited there seems to be a Farmer's Market in downtown SLC. Woo!
#7 Old 07-18-2009, 01:27 PM

In addition to Sage's Cafe, we have....

Vertical Diner

Same owner as Sage's mostly the same menu. Everything on the menu is vegan/vegetarian. I think Sage's was (and may still be) strictly vegan, but Vertical is not. However, all of the dishes are vegetarian and I think any of them can be made vegan on request. They currently have an "Anti-Depression Special" it's $3.95 for tofu scramble, hash browns, & gravy. I've been ordering this one a lot. Also love the Philly Cheeze/Pizza Steak sandwiches which you can get with grilled portabella mushrooms, tempeh, or faux chicken inside of. Comes with a side of fries or carrot sticks. Always used to get the fries, now that I'm dieting, I get the carrot sticks- which make a better side than I would have imagined.

Evergreen House

This place is also completely vegetarian (might be vegan, I'm not sure). It's chinese food. No one else in my immediate family likes it but me. It took me a while to warm up to the food. I kept going back because I like going places where everything on the menu is available to me. I've also, recently convinced them that I like spicy hot food. I would always ask for it spicy hot and they would always bring it mild to medium.

Long Life Vegi House

This is a Salt Lake City institution. Although, they are badly in need of a remodel. I've been eating at this place since I was 15 years old. They helped me survive my teenage years. Not strictly vegetarian as they have seafood, otherwise, all the non-seafood items are vegetarian. They have great Pot Stickers. Order as soon as you sit down if you want them as an appetizer, because they take a few minutes to make. I really like all the tofu dishes (ma po tofu, tofu with barbecue sauce, tofu with spicy garlic sauce, etc.), and their kung pao chicken (faux chicken of course) is a long time favorite of mine.

Shanghai Cafe

Been eating at this place since 1995. Not strictly vegetarian even though they have "Vegetarian Food For A Long Life" in big letters on the sides of the building. The first 2 pages of the menu are vegetarian. Favorites include, Tofu Lemongrass, Mu Shu Vegetarian Chicken, Vegetarian Chicken Curry Vermicelli Noodle Salad (or whatever it's called, I can never remember the exact sequence of the words in the name).

House of Tibet

Right next door to Shanghai Cafe. Both within walking distance of my residence- help explain why I got so chubby and am so poor. They have an awesome lunch buffet that has cabbage salad w/ ginger dressing, spicy potatoes, steamed vegetable dumplings, veggies in some uber-fattening sauce, spicy noodles, fried rice. I love this place as the food is so good and the guy that owns the place and cooks the food is just a genuinely good human being. I wish they were 100% veg, but, to their credit, the lunch buffet only has 2 non-vegetarian items and the always have PETA materials on display.

Chanon Thai Cafe

Thai food has hit SLC in a big way in the past few years. Chanon Thai is this little restaurant that was a late comer, but has schooled all the others in a big way. There's almost nothing on the menu that can't be made vegetarian by selecting Tofu as your "meat" of choice. It is Thai, so if you're completely opposed to fish sauce, you may need to ask which dishes are safe, as most Thai people consider fish a part of a vegetarian diet.

O'Falafel, Etc.

This is a new entry. They opened up within the last year. Not 100% veg, but very vegan friendly. About 1/3 of the menu is marked as vegan, which includes the falafel sandwiches and my new addiction, the grilled portabello mushroom sandwich. The hummus and baba ganouch are damn good at this place too. They have some tempting looking deserts and a falafel burger and fries. Haven't tried any of that yet as I keep ordering the portabella and I'm now dieting thanks to Shangai and House of Tibet.

Wasatch Pizza

Very veg friendly local pizza chain. I think they have 4 - 6 veg pizzas on the menu with nice ingredients like sun dried tomatoes, artichoke hearts, zuchini, spinach, etc.

The Pie Pizzeria

They have an "extreme veggie" that has fresh spinach, artichoke hearts, Sicilian spiced tomatoes, red onions, feta & mozzarella cheese on marinara sauce. We've been ordering it without any of the cheese lately and it is delicious this way.

I'm sure there's a few other places that I'm forgetting but that should help anyone who's visiting SLC or transitioning to vegetarianism in SLC out.

P.S. - Rest in Peace: Park Ivy Cafe (you're still missed), Keebas (you didn't live long enough), & Addicted Cafe/Under the Bridge (ditto on not living long enough).
#8 Old 08-05-2009, 09:22 PM

Bangkok Thai Kalay on Highland Drive and about 3200 South offers a mostly-vegan menu!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page