VeggieBoards banner

Texas Possibly Moving to Austin

2K views 7 replies 4 participants last post by  emilytx 
#1 ·
Suggestions? Veggie places? Neighborhoods to avoid like the plague?

It looks like I'll be going to ACC, if we move there.

Thanks!

<3,

Kenickie

#4 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by pkk View Post

Contrary to the perceptions of a lot of people new to Austin - a place I lived for nearly 20 years - all the cool folks live south of the river between Barton Springs and Oltorf.
That's a ridiculous notion. Although that is where most of the rich hippies live (since it is one of the more expensive places to purchase a home, and there are lots of veggie places to go.)

There are several ACC campuses around, so your still pretty open to where you can live. It really just depends on what you want to do.

#6 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by pkk View Post

No rich hippies at Columbus and 1st.
we are definitly NOT rich, nor hippies. it's a suprising step for us, Texas seems like the last place on earth we would move. I don't know, I guess I should have been more direct in asking:

suggestions for a 19year old and a 20 year old to live that won't break our bank and we can bike to school? (we have heard east austin is where it's at, or hyde park)

and best veggie places to eat because apparently it's a veggie heaven compared to the rest of the south.

thanks!

#7 ·
Mr natural, veggie heaven, bouldin creek, and dhaba joy are the place I frequent when not eating at home.

I would suggest staying away from hyde park, unless you can find a reasonable deal (where are you coming from and what do you pay for rent now?)

To give you some idea I live 10.3 miles from the capitol, and the house I bought sold for $150,000 last year and the house next to me was up for rent for a little while @$1100. These are larger sized homes with yards for dogs, but you probably won't find anything cheaper than that in hyde park.

East austin is likely where you would want to be. In generaly right now there are good deals on the east side. some of the places aren't fixed up yet, so are, and some still have crack dealers on the streets.

Are y'all planning on coming before you choose a place to live or will you be finding a place before you come? If you will be looking before you come, I can try and get you in touch with my realtor - sometimes he's SUPER busy) Also, if you are interested in a place, I would probably be able to run by and take a few pics or something, since I've been pretty much free lately.

Well, I'll offer any other suggestions if you ask
and would be more than happy to help you acclimate to our fair city

#8 ·
Hyde park would actually be ok, i have some friends that live there, and its fine. Also, east austin is very popular with students, but it's not the greatest neighborhood. However, there are some pretty good apartments over there, so it really just depends on your preference. There is also an ACC campus pretty close, so that would be pretty convienent to bike there..

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.