VeggieBoards banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Texas

57K views 448 replies 124 participants last post by  Michael 
#1 ·
The place to dicuss local topics and to meet others in your area.

#2 ·
Alrighty... *waits to see any signs of life nearby*

It's been days now and there's still nobody around here? Sheesh!

I know there's some folks from Austin on here, but idunno for sure about others in the Dallas/Fort Worth area. Hmmnb. Anybody? Hellooooooo...?

#6 ·
I'm in Katy, Texas - the westside back door of Houston. I only know of a couple of people who are ovo-lacto. I know of zero vegans. It's extremely hard to find restaurants who do vegan, too. Maybe Texas isn't the best place for this life style. I hope we find others in our area, too.

#7 ·
bloodysunset-austinite vegan here! Boy are we lucky, IMO. My dad lives in McAllen, and I practically starve when I am there. Or I get horribly ill from food they say is safe and isn't. Ausin Rocks! Being from CA originally, I would have died knowing I would later say this!

#8 ·
Sindy- We're definatly lucky. I don't think I would be able to stand living anywhere else in Texas. Austin seems so different from other places around, even the other large cities like Dallas and Houston. I do wish that the veg*n friendly restaraunts were more spread out in the city. I'm really far north, so it seems like I always end up driving down to campus to Veggie Heaven or Wheatsville, or over to Mother's on Duval. And I love Casa de Luz, but it's so damn far away, I never get a chance to go.

#9 ·
"....even the other large cities like Dallas and Houston"

*sniff, sniff*...poor San Antonio. We're the redheaded stepchild of Texas. WE'RE BIGGER THAN DALLAS! Hey! We're down here! Just and hour south of you!

Really though. Couple of good places to eat here. If you ever bother to come down, check out Pacific Moon on 281N and 1604. it is THE BEST. Good Healthy Mexican in Universal City (NE San Antonio) - great Vegan puffy tacos. Most of SA is pretty grim, though.

I always loved to go to Tein Hung on Burnett & Ohlen for Dim Sum, but I'm pretty sure that most of that wouldn't be vegan, would it?

#11 ·
Haha Equipro-I actually live right behind Tien Hong! I actually have never been there cuz I checked there menu out when we first moved in two years ago and they didn't really have any vegetarian items. Dang Tien Hongers always parking in front of my house on Sundays
The place to go is Shanghai River on Anderson ln. They rock! Full vegan/veg chinese buffet! If you haven't been there BloodySunsett you should go!BTW-where is casa de luz?

#13 ·
Heh heh-I actually considered putting obscene fliers on the Tien Honger cars to deter the trampling thru my yard, don't get mad if you get one! J/K - Maybe now that I know some Tien Hongers are ok, I won't. Btw-thanks for the reccomendations on places to eat is SA, vegan puffy tacos sound awesome! We go to(or thru) SA often, so I will try them out!

#14 ·
Sindy- I've never been to Shanghai River, but I'll be sure to try it. Casa de Luz is on Toomey Road, right across from the Zachary Scott theatre and the baseball fields. It's hard to find, the sign is well camoflauged. It's a wonderful place, surrounded by peaceful gardens, next to a community center. The restaurant is all the way in the back, you just follow the path through the gardens. It's all vegan, fresh made and yummy. It's unusual though.... there's no menu, everyone just eats whatever the chefs dreamed up that day. They have tight hours though, so you sort of have to plan to go. It's open every day from 11:30 to 2:00 and 6:00 to 8:30. Meals are allways $10, except for saturday and sunday brunch, which is $12.

#16 ·
BS-oh yeah, I remember! I have heard of that place! My boyfriend knows where it is. oh please for the love of god tell me you have been to Mr. Natural. They just opened a new one up on S. Lamar. It is mexican vegan heaven! I lurve the food there. They have the best juices and even vegan pizza. It is one of my faves for sure. Also I live close to Curra's north on Burnet and I love the vegetarian fajitas-it is real easy to say-no cheese or sour cream there. If you live north it is not that far away.

#17 ·
NO! Pacific Moon is not the Mexican Place. Pacific Moon is sort of oriental...hard to describe, but THE BEST. The Mexican Place is called something like "Los Patios Fiesta". It's in Universal City, just past Kitty Hawk on Pat Booker. They are the ones with the fab puffy tacos.

#19 ·
(semi-long post)

I guess ah'm the odd man out being in Houston
(first post, by the way and not vegan - yet)

bloodysunsett - it's too bad you dislike Houston so as there are many vegetarian and even vegan restaurants here. You just have to look around, ask people, or look online. Our source is the Houston Press's Dining Guide, both online (hhtp://houstonpress.com/) and in print. We have found many places I can eat at while my wife gets her meat. Usually it's anything but American or Mexican, though there is one all-Mexican place we both like (Pico's Mex-Mex) and veggie-friendly, just not vegan (since I still love cheese - and I don't need to be reminded/reprimanded about the rennet in it
) I love Indain food, but it's not a favorite of my wife's, so I don't eat that kind of food very often unless I make falafel and hummus. But, we do have a large Indian and Middle Eastern population here that seem to have settled down mostly in the area of town on Hilcroft from Harwin to Westheimer. There's even a few places with belly dancers

aarealskei - If you like Thai, I think there's a place on Hwy 6 S somewhere around the intersections of either Richmond or Westheime. I know, a bit of a drive, but everything's "a bit of a drive" in Texas
I have worked in Park Ten off and on for the past five years, so I am familiar with how desolate Katy is for our kind of eating. I usually had to just bring my own food unless I got lazy. You do have that great big HEB on Mason, is it? I loved shopping there since everything inside the loop in Houston is nothing but Pantry stores. Other than the Central Market which we have not gone to again because of the huge number of rich snobs everywhere (HEB placed it in the middle of River Oaks.) It kind of turned us off to trying them again.

The places y'all have been pointing out for San Antone and Austin sound great, too. And, what about Hyde Park in Austin? Don't they have vegan-friendly dishes? I know my sister has mentioned them since she knows I'm vegetarian. Most of my family lives either in or around Austin, (other than Dripping Springs for my parents.) Maybe when we visit this weekend we can get a trip to one of the places you recommend

#21 ·
kentarous - you HAVE to suck it up and go back to the Central Market. It is SO fab. They have they very best organic produce and so many thing that you can't get anywhere else. Also, their prepared foods are to die for. I love their edamame salad, and their braised bok choy. Man, my mouth is watering as I type.....

#22 ·
Ken-In hyde park the 1st place I think of is Mothers cafe. Its on Duval S. of 45th. l lived around the corner from mothers for 3 years and strangely, didn't go there often. Their food is good and super healthy but I dunno, I couldn't dig it that much. IMO their best dish is the BBQ tofu. If you are near hyde park, you might as well go to Veggie Heaven on the drag. I *heart* Veggie Heaven. It is on Guadalupe past Ut just before you hit MLK. It is all Veg and awesome! Its mostly asian food. YUM!

#25 ·
Haha. They're just so good, aren't they? Oooh... have you had the portabello and grilled veggies sandwich from wheatsville? I love those things.

I went to Shanghai River on Friday, by the way. Very good. It's pretty close to where I live too, so thanks for recommending it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.