VeggieBoards banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Texas

57K views 448 replies 124 participants last post by  Michael 
#1 ·
The place to dicuss local topics and to meet others in your area.

#27 ·
Hi Cougar, not from Plano, but I sure bet its hot! Dang TX!

BS-Glad you liked shanghai, if you haven't yet you must try General Tso's tofu balls. I need to renew my membership to Wheatsville, that sandwhich sounds good. Well, hope all ya texans don't drop from heat exhaustion-

Sindy

#28 ·
kentauros - Yeah! another fellow veggie person that's in my area. Yes, the big HEB is on Mason, but it's okay. They may have good veggies, but they don't do much else for vegans. I go to the Kroger on Mason & Westheimer Pkwy (new one) for things like my rice milk and my soy delicious. I also tend to shop at Sandy's Market on I-10. My family is omni- but they try to support me. There is a mexican restaurant in Katy that is pretty good about altering dishes for me. It's called Cazadores - it's off Pin Oak Road, just west of Katy Mills Mall. They make potato nachos - I just have them replace the meat with refried beans, hold the cheese and leave the lettuce, tomato, and guacamole. They also have guac. tacos...Mmmm. Since we are regulars there, a couple of the waiters already know me and they just give me this funky smile when I place my order.

The Thai restaurant you mentioned...is it near West Oaks Mall? We used to go to a place on Hwy 6 & Westheimer, but they closed down shortly after we moved to Katy. Bummer!

Well...too cool to find someone else in the area. If I find any good food places, I will share them with you. Oh, yeah...I forgot about Chipotles....they are new, but they are good for vegan/veggie eating. Orient Express on I-10 at Fry also has a couple of veggie friendly dishes. I just wished I wasn't always limited to mexican or chinese. It'd be nice to get a variety. Anyway...it's great meeting you! (my hubby works at the Corporate Academy at Mason, and my bible meetings are in the Park 10 area)

#30 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by EquiPro

kentarous - you HAVE to suck it up and go back to the Central Market. It is SO fab.
Central Market rocks! I have one right around the corner from me, thank God! They even have VEGAN wine (and it's actually quite good wine!).

Love love LOVE Central Market!

However, I also love Whole Foods. It is still my favorite grocery. I envy you peeps in Austin, cuz you have the ORIGINAL (and hugely gigantic) Whole Foods there (the one by downtown somewhere). That store kicks ass!! That is the only Whole Foods I've been in that has everything you could ever need under one roof. Here in Dallas, I have to be-bop to several Whole Foods to get everything on my list.

#31 ·
Hey cougar...I'm in DFW, just the FW part of it instead of the Big D part. I have a vegan friend who lives in Garland, and considered a place in Dallas another vegan just posted on her lj but I don't think I could afford it, unless I stayed with my bf and we found a new roomie too, which seems to be aside from the point of my wanting to move. Ah, well.

#32 ·
Hi, kittay!! Another DFW-er! Woo hoo!
I have some good friends in Ft. Worth, one of which is a vegetarian. I love Ft. Worth - it is so much prettier than Dallas. I used to live in Bedford when I first moved down here 10 years ago.

We DFW-ers need to meet for lunch or dinner sometime!! I know lots of good veggie restaurants in Dallas. I am not familiar with any in FW, but perhaps you can help us out on that one!

#33 ·
gosh, i miss austin so much...maybe i miss my college days there more. now i'm stuck in lubbock for grad school. it's horrible here in the panhandle. there's a few small health food stores here but nothing compared to central market or whole foods. i always have to stock up and stuff my luggage with food when i visit my family in houston.

speaking of houston...there an awesome veg'n vietnamese restaurant on bellaire called Quan Yin (10804 E. Bellaire 77072). everything i've tried there has been delish. they have a lot of fake meat dishes that taste like the real thing or better.

#34 ·
Thanks, Drveg...I will keep that vietnamese restaurant in mind next time I want to go out, but don't want the hassle of getting a place to "attempt" to make me vegan food.

OH...Katy, TX just got a Murphy's Deli and a PaoPao's - both have a couple of vegan dishes. I can only hope that one day Katy will build a HFS - maybe something like Whole Foods.

#41 ·
the veg places here in fort worth are rather easy, there's just two located in the same building downtown. spiral diner, which is all vegan, and hot damn tamales which is all veg with one vegan tamale.

i finally made it over to cosmic cafe this saturday, i'm so glad to have an omni friend willing to go eat a veggie burger, enjoy himself, and tolerate me and my issues so well too! my bf doesn't do that, so i'm just really appreciating it and gushing right now, sorry. it was actually the first time i've eaten at any veg place, cuz nobody else would ever go eat at one with me. yay.

#42 ·
kittay ~

Yeah, isn't Cosmic great? I love that place! It has a cool atmosphere, as well! I love their hummus - it is so good! I like the Cosmic Stir, too, which is just the tofu with veggies in some yummy sauce. I've tried some of their vegan cake before, too, which was also really good, though I've never been a huge cake person - I always prefer pies, though I don't think I've eaten a pie since I've been vegan. Hmm. Now I need to find a good vegan pie recipe!

There is an AWESOME vegan restaurant in Richardson - Veggie Garden. They have over 100 items on their menu. It is so fab! Here is their website: www.veggiegarden.com

#43 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by Cougar

I'm flexible. I think anytime will do, for me. I'm usually busy on Saturdays, but that can be fixed. I'll PM you with my phone number. I just read your earlier post. I live at Parker and Custer. We're really close.
Hey, I got your PM! Thanks a lot! This will be fun!!
You are VERY close to me, which is so cool!

#44 ·
Hey HappyDaisy and Kittay

I live in Carrollton right on the edge of Dallas/Plano. Cosmic is great!! We go there quite a bit. I haven't been to Veggie Garden but I pass by it all the time. I'll have to check it out.

I agree HappyDaisy - Central Market rocks. Have you been to the Whole Foods on Preston/Park lately? They just remodeled and they are huge now!! Really nice.

See ya later
~ Jengle

#46 ·
Hi Jengle, welcome to the board!

I'm thinking that Veggie Garden must be the place my chat friend likes to rave about, she says we're probably going there whenever we finally meet up. But I'd never found their site before, ack the pictures were just too much to handle when I was still waiting for dinner. Mmmmmn....

#47 ·
ok you Dallas veggies, I have a proposition for ya'll!

I was thinking of doing a dinner party thingy at my place in a couple weeks with all of us local Dallas peeps! My bf will be out of town, so I'll be lonely, and plus we could all meet each other! I will cook dinner and provide wine and other beverages, and you are more than welcome to bring food or wine, too!

PM me and let me know if you're interested, or just post here in this thread! If this doesn't sound good, we can all just meet somewhere public or something.

#49 ·
Ah, yes, Central Market: one of the few places in the Houston metro area to find any selection of vegan goods, even if it is a pretty long drive from Alvin.

As far as vegetarian restaurants go, I heartily endorse the Hobbit Cafe (2243 Richmond). I'm not sure how vegan their menu items are, but their Soy burger was marvelous, and their portion sizes are HUGE.

#50 ·
Lentil zha, I have some friends from Alvin, and they do say the veg pickins there are slim(they aren't vegn tho).

I have looked for the hobbit cafe with my bf. He used to live in Houston but we couldn't find it. He remembered it as being secluded, but its like it dropped of the face of the earth, we couldn't find it. Did they move or are we just crazy?

#51 ·
i was known as aes2 for a while but just trying to log in it seems my account no longer works so i had to reregister. anyways, i just got laid off on saturday, and was offered my same job with my company for the same money in houston, tx, which has a very very low cost of living compared to new england (where we live now) and given the current job market we've decided to take the job out in houston and move.

thing is we don't know anyone in houston yet. we know there are 4 whole foods (bread and circus) grocery stores there and some vegan indian restaurants and such but that's it. if we could meet some other veg*ns out there it would make the transition a lot less painfull.

feel free to e-mail me at aeserwork@hotmail.com

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.