VeggieBoards

VeggieBoards (https://www.veggieboards.com/forum/)
-   Texas (https://www.veggieboards.com/forum/107-texas/)
-   -   Moving to Austin next week...advice? (https://www.veggieboards.com/forum/107-texas/125255-moving-austin-next-week-advice.html)

FatVegan1980 05-15-2011 10:45 PM

Hi folks!

Well my husband and I are FINALLY leaving West Texas. We found an apartment in North Austin and are moving in the 23rd.

Thing is, I don't know much about the city at all. I've been to a couple of vegan/vegetarian places (The Vegan Yacht and Madras Pavillion) and i loved both.

What are somethings I should know as a soon-to-be Austinite? Any advice?

*AHIMSA* 05-15-2011 11:40 PM

Go to Casa de Luz! It's a vegan, macrobiotic place! So awesome.

jAded 05-16-2011 12:11 AM

Oooh I'm keeping my eye on this thread... I'm going to the States in September and Austin is on my itinerary (mind you, so are a million other places that I simple won't have the time to see, but Austin is definitely one!).

GhostUser 05-16-2011 05:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FatVegan1980 View Post

Hi folks!

What are somethings I should know as a soon-to-be Austinite? Any advice?

1. Don't buy into the "Keep Austin Cliche ... err, I mean Weird" thing.
2. If you're south of Ben White, north of Research, West of Mopac, or east of Ed Bluestein you're not in Austin.
3. After the first month of traffic hassles, you'll wish you were back in West Texas.

smob 05-16-2011 06:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky View Post

2. If you're south of Ben White, north of Research, West of Mopac, or east of Ed Bluestein you're not in Austin.
3. After the first month of traffic hassles, you'll wish you were back in West Texas.

This.

I lived in Austin for years and while I loved what it used to be, I hate what it has turned into. It has been "Californicated."

Joe 05-16-2011 01:13 PM

Quote:

Hi folks!

Any advice?

Check out the bats.

FatVegan1980 05-16-2011 04:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky View Post

Point taken! As far as the traffic thing goes, we specifically moved in the apartments we have (they are near burnet on Morado Cove) so we don't have to drive all that much...besides, my husband is from L.A., lol.

FatVegan1980 05-16-2011 04:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by *AHIMSA* View Post

Go to Casa de Luz! It's a vegan, macrobiotic place! So awesome.

Ooooh THANKS! I am always on the hunt for places where I don't have to say "No cheese, no meat, no animal" and get weird looks, lol.

GhostUser 05-16-2011 05:45 PM

Quote:

Point taken! As far as the traffic thing goes, we specifically moved in the apartments we have (they are near burnet on Morado Cove) so we don't have to drive all that much...besides, my husband is from L.A., lol.

Well, that's a long way out but a lot of people like living around there. Hope you enjoy it. There is a Kerbey Lane Cafe somewhere out there. Had some good vegan blueberry pancakes at the original one on Kerbey Lane last time I was in town (if you go way south on Burnet, you'll be close to it when Burnet dead ends).

Teresa 05-16-2011 06:14 PM

I hope you enjoy your new home and your move goes well.

FatVegan1980 05-17-2011 04:01 PM

Thanks guys

rpw001 05-21-2011 08:38 PM

My favorite vegetarian restaurant in the entire state is in Austin: Mother's Cafe up on Duval Street. Plenty of vegan options, too, which keep me coming back all the way from Houston.

SuicideBlonde 06-12-2011 09:15 PM

Boyfriend is applying for jobs there. We may move if he gets one.

OweirdO 10-24-2011 09:02 AM

Sad I guess I dont live in austin :-( I always say I'm from Austin, I do not live in Austin, I live just north of it. I still say I am from Austin. I guess its my right, my mom was born on bull creek, before it was in Austin, in 1926. They were still 10 miles out of town then, so yeah I from Austin!
enjoy the music scene, and the outdoor trails by the lake....... I have heard that Conscious Cravings is amazing, i have yet to try it. Its kinda like a taco stand, not a sit down restaurant.

sallyomally 10-24-2011 10:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe View Post

Check out the bats.

Most definitely!

AND...

http://wheatsville.coop/ in particular the popcorn tofu. It's divine.

OweirdO 10-24-2011 08:23 PM

another great thing is the farmers markets. I love the one in CP, RR has a good one and so does G-town. I heard the old one on Burnet was re-opening, it was always the best.

VegInAustinTX 12-30-2011 07:17 PM

http://www.happycow.net/north_america/usa/texas/austin/

So many great choices in Austin!
But nowhere else in Texas because it is hick city. I was born and raised in Texas so I am allowed to judge.