VeggieBoards

VeggieBoards (https://www.veggieboards.com/forum/)
-   Tennessee (https://www.veggieboards.com/forum/106-tennessee/)
-   -   Tennessee Just wanted to do a shout out to all the Tennessee peeps! (https://www.veggieboards.com/forum/106-tennessee/87293-tennessee-just-wanted-do-shout-out-all-tennessee-peeps.html)

flvegnewbie 09-07-2008 12:42 PM

Wow, I was surprised to see how long it's been since someone posted about Tennessee!

Um, yeah, I know my avatar still reads "flvegnewbie", but I'm no longer in Florida. We just moved back here in April, so I'm trying to adjust to life as a vegetarian in a completely no-veg. atmosphere!

I live just west of Cookeville, in a little podunk town!

Thankfully the Kroger store in Cookeville does a decent job of keeping some veg. food supplied.

Other than that, there's not a whole lotta choices out there.

So where's all the Tennessee people?

Check in if you get the time!

Michelle

tomatopower 09-10-2008 09:31 PM

I live in Franklin. We are almost neighbors. I have been through Cookeville. What town from?

lubimiller 01-03-2009 09:21 AM

I live in Hendersonville, just north of Nashville

plus_sign 02-25-2009 03:01 PM

Murfreesboro!

I'd kill to meet another veg in mboro.... Figuratively speaking, that is =)

GhostUser 02-26-2009 08:38 PM

I live in Knoxville. I hate how people around here look at you like you have two heads when you say your vegan.

Joe 02-26-2009 08:43 PM

I live in South Nashville/Brentwood.

plus_sign 02-27-2009 08:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe View Post

I live in South Nashville/Brentwood.

Wait... Do you mean to say that other v*gans exist in middle tennessee?!!?!!!!

Joe 02-27-2009 08:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by plus_sign View Post

Wait... Do you mean to say that other v*gans exist in middle tennessee?!!?!!!!

Yes. There are a number of loose associations. One woman I know is thinking of starting a veg*n club here. Another woman had a veg*n restaurant in the late '90s, and is in the process of planning to open a new one. Vanderbilt U. has a completely vegetarian restaurant in the Hillel Center called Grins (pronounced Greens). There's also Woodland's Indian Cuisine, which is vegetarian.

I was involved in EarthSave Nashville from 1996 to about 2003. Unfortunately, this chapter folded.

Check out Yvonne Smith's website:

http://www.thetravelingvegetarian.tv/

There are also a number of people who are Buddhists and vegetarian due to that.

Tell me more about what interests you, and I'll try to point you in the right direction.

cmcdonald5 06-28-2009 05:40 PM

Johnson City! there are a few vegans and vegetarians here due to it being a college town (being a college kid myself i don't mean this in a negative way.)

VegnMama 07-09-2009 08:39 PM

Hey I'm in Murfreesboro too!

Jessyka 03-23-2010 09:31 PM

Mount Juliet, here.

DgyJff 03-24-2010 06:47 AM

I live in Boone, NC but my bf lives in Johnson City, so I'm over there all the time! Hopefully it will become my future home someday....

Josh James xVx 06-06-2010 05:50 PM

Smith County represent. I'm happy to report that in the nearly six years I've been vegan, I've seen a big increase in the amount of vegan products available at local grocery stores and supermarkets.

thcause 04-22-2012 08:10 PM

Wow I've been to most of all these places. I used to live in Hendersonville (for 13 years) but recently moved to Adairville, KY (15 minutes north of Springfield, 2 miles over the Tennessee border).
I used to work for the FOP in Cookeville. Ive been to pretty much all of these cities though.
Nice to meet you guys! =)

flvegnewbie 05-26-2012 07:08 PM

I would think this would be okay to post in this forum since it is Tennessee related, but I've heard good things about this restaurant and it's in the Nashville area,  I have yet to try them because it's a bit of a drive for me but thought I would post in case someone a little closer might be interested:

http://www.thewildcow.com/twc/

I think someone above asked about what town I live in?  I'd rather not say specifically on a public forum...but I live between Murfreesboro & Cookeville...and I'll leave it at that. shy.gif

Since my last post I have come across of a couple of High School kids who are friends of my teens & I know for certain they are vegetarians...which I think is AWESOME!  

How are my other Tennessee folks doing?sunny.gif

thcause 05-27-2012 01:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flvegnewbie View Post

I would think this would be okay to post in this forum since it is Tennessee related, but I've heard good things about this restaurant and it's in the Nashville area,  I have yet to try them because it's a bit of a drive for me but thought I would post in case someone a little closer might be interested:

http://www.thewildcow.com/twc/

I think someone above asked about what town I live in?  I'd rather not say specifically on a public forum...but I live between Murfreesboro & Cookeville...and I'll leave it at that. shy.gif

Since my last post I have come across of a couple of High School kids who are friends of my teens & I know for certain they are vegetarians...which I think is AWESOME!  

How are my other Tennessee folks doing?sunny.gif

I had a friend that worked at The Wild Cow. I am subscribed to their Facebook page, and their stuff sounds awesome. They also have a lot of charity events that help pets in need, that sort of thing.

RodentQueen 06-12-2012 07:12 PM

I live in a town to the Northeast of Memphis. There is a wonderful restuarant in Memphis called Fuel Cafe that has many veg options. BEST veggie burgers ever. I used to work there.

Fromper 08-30-2012 07:01 AM

I'll be leaving Florida and moving to the Memphis area this weekend. I'm hoping to only be there a month or two, not long term. I'm just staying with some family short term while I'm between jobs to save money. I have other family in Chicago, and I'd like to get up there eventually, so that's where I'm focusing my job search.

I already looked on Meetup.com and noticed that there's a veg meetup group in the Memphis area. Don't know if I'll get a chance to meet them, but I joined the group online just to get updates if they're doing anything.

--Fromper
juggle.gif

Fromper 09-09-2012 08:51 PM

For anyone in the Memphis area, you MUST go to RP Tracks for BBQ tofu. That place is great!

--Fromper
juggle.gif

AugustFlower35 12-08-2012 10:04 AM

Giles County!