South Carolina Veg*n Restaurants in Charleston? - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 02-05-2008, 04:53 PM
Veggie Regular

Hey, hey.

I'm going to be in Charleston for the day on Friday. I'll most likely be eating at the hospital there (MUSC), but if we get a chance to get out to somewhere else I was wondering if anyone knows of places I can get some good veg*n food?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 06-08-2008, 07:50 AM
Veggie Regular

i'm bumping this as i'm going to be in charleston for a while and so is brandon. so i'm wondering about restaurants around there that are veg*n-friendly.
#3 Old 06-08-2008, 12:33 PM
Veggie Regular

HappyCow has 4 listings

http://www.happycow.net/north_americ...ton/index.html

I have no idea where those are in proximity to where we'll be, but thought I'd throw that out there in case someone has been to some of/any of those.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 06-13-2008, 10:49 AM

There's an interesting vegan soul food place that's run by a religious group called the Black Hebrew Israelites. It's The Soul Vegetarian South Complex, 3225-A Rivers Ave. N, Charleston, SC, (843)744-1155.

You can't even tell it's a restaurant-- it's behind a little schoolhouse. And there's a beauty salon in there, too. (I said it was "interesting.") But you can get vegan southern food, and they don't talk about their religion to you.
#5 Old 06-14-2008, 02:40 AM
Veggie Regular

Neat!

Here's their site: http://www.kingdomofyah.com/Soul%20V...Worldwide.html

They have multiple locations!

Give thanks to Mother Earth for Her greatest gift...

...gravity.

For without it, we would be lost.
#6 Old 07-04-2008, 10:41 PM

The Sprout is vegan and mostly raw. A little expensive, but it's all good.

Whole Foods Market (in Mt. P) & Earth Fare (West Ashley, South Windermere) are here, too.
#7 Old 12-12-2008, 06:14 PM

Also, Five Loaves Cafe is good to eat at. There's a place Downtown and a place in Mt. Pleasant. They've got great food, for both lunch and dinner.
#8 Old 03-12-2010, 06:32 AM
Veggie Regular

Urbanspoon and Yikes! offer online searches of Vegan and Vegetarian restaurants in Charleston, etc. Also, I've found if you contact the restaurant in person/by phone or see if you can personally speak with the chef around the hours of 2-4pm (before you make the reservation for another day), they are usually happy to accomodate anyone's diet requests. I've only found that true in non-chain restaurants though, but that has been done for me even at the places that are serving only meat and fish. They are usually very kind and happy to help if you approach it in a similar fashion and tip well and be thankful for their effort- which I'm sure everyone does. *I know this was posted two years, ago, but thought it might help (in addition to happycow) for future travelers. Cheers
#9 Old 03-12-2010, 06:36 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by squirrelnut View Post

There's an interesting vegan soul food place that's run by a religious group called the Black Hebrew Israelites. It's The Soul Vegetarian South Complex, 3225-A Rivers Ave. N, Charleston, SC, (843)744-1155.

There's one like this downtown, too, and The Laughing/Flying Pig (?) (amazing French restaurant- East Bay St. ?) serves many veg items that are uber delish!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page