Moving to Philly - VeggieBoards

Moving to Philly

Ironandavocados's Avatar Ironandavocados
07:44 AM 09-11-2015
Hi everyone, I'm a mom of three kids, all vegan, ages 4,7 and 8. I am a plant based SFG 1 (StrongFirst) strength coach. I teach hard style kettlebell and i help people make major weightloss transformations.
I also teach a vegan meal prep/cooking seminar.
I am planning to move to the Philadelphia area in the next six months so I'd love to meet members of the vegan community.
I go down to Philly on the weekends so any suggestions of restaurants or things I can do with the kids would be great.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

TailFin's Avatar TailFin
08:13 AM 09-11-2015
Philadelphia and Philadelphia area are two separate things. While we recently moved, we lived in the northwestern suburbs, with the wife commuting into Center City daily via SEPTA. I was lucky enough to work around where we lived.

In the city: HipCityVeg, Vedge, and Blackbird Pizzeria are all vegan friendly (I believe). You'll find many others, including several places that serve both vegan and vegetarian (whatever your preference) for 'Philly Cheese Steaks'.
no whey jose's Avatar no whey jose
09:03 AM 09-11-2015
Is Govinda's still around? I used to love their cheese steaks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

TailFin's Avatar TailFin
09:09 AM 09-11-2015
Quote:
Originally Posted by no whey jose View Post
Is Govinda's still around? I used to love their cheese steaks.
Yes, I believe so. Darn good food. It was always busy when we went!
11:15 AM 09-11-2015
Quote:
Originally Posted by TailFin View Post
Philadelphia and Philadelphia area are two separate things. While we recently moved, we lived in the northwestern suburbs, with the wife commuting into Center City daily via SEPTA. I was lucky enough to work around where we lived.

In the city: HipCityVeg, Vedge, and Blackbird Pizzeria are all vegan friendly (I believe). You'll find many others, including several places that serve both vegan and vegetarian (whatever your preference) for 'Philly Cheese Steaks'.
Thanks! I haven't decided if I want to live in the city yet, I'm familiar with the burbs and the city itself, it will all boil down to finding a home I like, I'm open.
TailFin's Avatar TailFin
11:25 AM 09-11-2015
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironandavocados View Post
Thanks! I haven't decided if I want to live in the city yet, I'm familiar with the burbs and the city itself, it will all boil down to finding a home I like, I'm open.
I'm not sure what your budget is, but you should probably decide soon if it's not unlimited.

Not kidding. We rented in an area (NOT Main Line) that had fixer-upper townhomes (so bad we wouldn't have been able to get a loan) starting in the mid-$200k's. I drove a gorgeous road every day through a wooded area surrounded by multimillion dollar mansions. It was splendid. When the wife and I decided to start looking for houses, we very quickly realized that area was not possible--not at all. It was a shame, because we fell in love with it. If we wanted to buy in that area, we needed to be willing to purchase a fixer-upper townhome and essentially live in poverty at least 10-20 miles further out from the city. Single-family homes were absolutely out of the question.

Not to put you off, there are definitely areas that are more affordable. Many people we know are either doing the fixer upper thing, moving to areas in Philly that are 'up-and-coming', or moving far enough out to areas they can afford but still be able to DRIVE to a SEPTA station...
12:10 PM 09-11-2015
Quote:
I'm not sure what your budget is, but you should probably decide soon if it's not unlimited.

Not kidding. We rented in an area (NOT Main Line) that had fixer-upper townhomes (so bad we wouldn't have been able to get a loan) starting in the mid-$200k's. I drove a gorgeous road every day through a wooded area surrounded by multimillion dollar mansions. It was splendid. When the wife and I decided to start looking for houses, we very quickly realized that area was not possible--not at all. It was a shame, because we fell in love with it. If we wanted to buy in that area, we needed to be willing to purchase a fixer-upper townhome and essentially live in poverty at least 10-20 miles further out from the city. Single-family homes were absolutely out of the question.

Not to put you off, there are definitely areas that are more affordable. Many people we know are either doing the fixer upper thing, moving to areas in Philly that are 'up-and-coming', or moving far enough out to areas they can afford but still be able to DRIVE to a SEPTA station...
I have several friends in the city and outside, I'm also working with a real estate agent because I have some pretty specific needs, I would like to continue working from home so I need to find the right place.
TailFin's Avatar TailFin
12:18 PM 09-11-2015
Good luck
12:20 PM 09-11-2015
Quote:
Good luck
Thanks
Jasminedesi16's Avatar Jasminedesi16
03:41 PM 09-23-2015
Hey I hope this post isn't too late but I live in Philadelphia too(I'm right near bensalem/neshiminey/bristil area) . it isn't too hard to be a vegan here. Philly has some great vegan restaurants.
highlyoriginal
11:18 PM 11-29-2015
I live in the Philly suburbs. Philly has a lot of cool things, lots of concerts, sports, museums (Franklin Institute is cool), stuff like that. Once you hit up all those spots you may get bored but you will find some places you like to hang out - South Street is fun, if you have some money it's always good to go for shopping although I admit there is better and cheaper places in the suburbs or even in the city to shop.

I cant really recommend any restaurants but if you like pizza hit up Lorenzo's - it's about $2 for a slice of pizza that's 1/3rd of a whole pie Don't know everything about your diet so forgive me if I'm offering you something you wouldn't eat.

I hope your move goes well.

-Andy
Reply Up