Oregon Oregon Visit - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 05-19-2010, 12:04 PM
Veggie Regular

I will be up in Oregon for a time this summer. I will mainly be in Beaverton but will be traveling all over as well.

Can anyone suggest places to food shop and maybe some restaurants?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 05-19-2010, 01:53 PM
Veggie Regular

Hiya Julz,

I live near Seattle but have been to Portland many times. There are some fabulous places there. Food Fight [a vegan grocery], Sweetpea Bakery, and Herbivore Clothing are referred to as Portland's mini vegan mall because they're all in a row. There is a deli that we've been to called Papa G's Organic Deli and it's vegan. Their coconut greens are fabulous. Bob's Red Mill has a HUGE store in Portland as well. It's a seriously veg friendly town. I'm sure the locals will pipe in with some favorites.

My Vegan Food Blog:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
#3 Old 05-19-2010, 03:55 PM
Veggie Regular

I'm not familiar with Portland much (it scares the crap out of me), but if you come to the coast (Seaside), I can show you a great vegetarian/vegan restaurant in Astoria!

Did you write the book of love, and do you have faith in God above,
If the Bible tells you so? Do you believe in rock Ân roll,
Can music save your mortal soul, And can you teach me how to dance real slow?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 05-19-2010, 07:10 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Veganess View Post

Hiya Julz,

I live near Seattle but have been to Portland many times. There are some fabulous places there. Food Fight [a vegan grocery], Sweetpea Bakery, and Herbivore Clothing are referred to as Portland's mini vegan mall because they're all in a row. There is a deli that we've been to called Papa G's Organic Deli and it's vegan. Their coconut greens are fabulous. Bob's Red Mill has a HUGE store in Portland as well. It's a seriously veg friendly town. I'm sure the locals will pipe in with some favorites.

Thank you so much. This will help quite a bit. I will definitely mapquest this. My sister lives in the area so I will probably be in the Portland area the most.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midnight Angel View Post

I'm not familiar with Portland much (it scares the crap out of me), but if you come to the coast (Seaside), I can show you a great vegetarian/vegan restaurant in Astoria!

I love Astoria! I hope to go up and down the coast while I am there, so I will let you know as time gets closer. I don't plan on much planning...just goin' with the flow.

Thanks you guys.
#5 Old 05-19-2010, 07:21 PM
American Made, Rebel Born

HAHAHAHAH the vegan mini mall is where i went today to meet AddieB, Myria and Arbre.

cry havoc! and let slip the dogs of war.
#6 Old 05-19-2010, 07:23 PM
American Made, Rebel Born

i also used to live a block away from papa g's deli.

freaking great, and they are so hippy dippy that there are NO TRASH CANS, only recycling bins, because everything in the entire store is recycle ready.

even then forks are made out of corn or some crap.

it's good though, great tempeh tomato lettuce sandwich, although a tad expensive...

cry havoc! and let slip the dogs of war.
#7 Old 05-19-2010, 07:40 PM
Veggie Regular

I just looked on the map for Papa G's. It does not look far from Beaverton at all. I'll definitely get down there; probably several times. I've never had tempeh, so that may be a first.

I have never done anything touristy in Portland. Any other suggestions?
#8 Old 05-20-2010, 09:35 PM
Veggie Regular

I'm visiting Portland right now. In fact, I went to the vegan mini mall yesterday, and I definitely recommend Sweetpea Bakery! Also, Blossoming Lotus and the vegan barbeque cart Homegrown Smoker were really good.

Touristy wise, the Portland art musem had some really neat modern and contemporary art and Powell's books is the size of a city block and filled to the brim with books.
#9 Old 05-21-2010, 06:42 AM
Veggie Regular

Sounds good. Especially the bookstore.

I cannot believe I have been there as many times as I have and have never really done anything. I just visit my sister and maybe go out to eat.
#10 Old 06-10-2010, 01:20 PM
Veggie Regular

I just discovered this place: http://cafeyumm.com/ I ate there today and it was fantastic. There's one in Beaverton and now one on campus where I work.

Also might want to check out New Seasons Market: http://www.newseasonsmarket.com/. All organic and specialty items, stuff you can't find anywhere else. There's a couple in Beaverton.

Avoid the chain restaurants like Applebees. Some are veg*n unfriendly, meaning they sometimes get annoyed if you don't order some meat.

My favorite touristy thing to do is visit Washington Park http://www.washingtonparkpdx.org/map.htm in West Portland. There is an arboretum, Japanese garden and Rose garden. There's also a zoo, but that depends on how you feel about such places. The rose garden is an international test garden where they test new varieties - there are only 10 of them in the world. They will be in full bloom soon. It will blow your mind if you're into roses and horticulture.
#11 Old 07-12-2010, 09:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midnight Angel' date='19 May 2010 - 03:55 PM' timestamp='1274306153' post='2638045 View Post

Jamie,

Where or what is it called. I'll be heading up in the next couple of weeks from the Denver area as a scout of possibly moving in the next few years. I won't have need to buy a bunch of groceries unless they are portable (will be on a motorcycle). I'll be heading to Astoria and then down the coast. Any pointers would be appreciated since I have not been in the area before and would like to stick with local treats.

Cheers,

Robert

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page