Oklahoma All things Oklahoma (general discussion thread) - Page 13 - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 
Reply
 
Thread Tools
#361 Old 04-21-2009, 09:21 AM
Veggie Regular
 
Brandon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 18,833
Quote:
Originally Posted by SciFiVegan View Post

Hey guys! This past few weeks has been so crazy for me! Hope you are all doing well...let's just say I can't wait till mid may. Hope to see you guys for at least part of the NMF on Sat...



Angel, Kelley and I are gonna be there, so we'll look for you.



We're planning on going mid-afternoon and hanging out to see Stardeath, then potentially walking back to Thai Raja for dinner, then back out for the rest.



Would you and Micah like to go eat with us?
Brandon is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
#362 Old 07-03-2009, 12:23 PM
Veggie Regular
 
katt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Posts: 1,138
Hey there.



Looks like I'll be in the Oklahoma City area August 1st and 2nd for a family reunion. There's probably going to be up to 20 of us if some of my cousins show up and don't back out at the last second.



What can I do here that is family appropriate and also not completely lame? I think one cousin is bringing her kids, so it takes out going to a ton of museums or things a nine/eleven year olds would find boring. I know we're planning on seeing the bombing memorial/museum, but that's about all I know right now. I remember going to the Omniplex as a kid, but I don't remember much changing over the years and it being catered to a little bit younger than my cousins.



Are there any veg friendly places that won't scare omnis? My mother is open to a lot of vegetarian stuff, but I also am going to be with people who think they'll die if they don't have their meat.
katt is offline  
#363 Old 07-03-2009, 12:27 PM
Veggie Regular
 
Amy SF's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Southern California
Posts: 20,217
When I visited my brother and his family in Edmond for the first time, we went to the Cowboy Hall of Fame and Museum in OKC. It was WAY better than I expected. They have an excellent collection of Western and American Indian art.

*this space not for sale*
Amy SF is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
#364 Old 07-03-2009, 05:41 PM
Veggie Regular
 
Brandon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 18,833
Quote:
Originally Posted by katt View Post

Hey there.



Looks like I'll be in the Oklahoma City area August 1st and 2nd for a family reunion. There's probably going to be up to 20 of us if some of my cousins show up and don't back out at the last second.



What can I do here that is family appropriate and also not completely lame? I think one cousin is bringing her kids, so it takes out going to a ton of museums or things a nine/eleven year olds would find boring. I know we're planning on seeing the bombing memorial/museum, but that's about all I know right now. I remember going to the Omniplex as a kid, but I don't remember much changing over the years and it being catered to a little bit younger than my cousins.



Are there any veg friendly places that won't scare omnis? My mother is open to a lot of vegetarian stuff, but I also am going to be with people who think they'll die if they don't have their meat.



Quote:
Originally Posted by Amy SF View Post

When I visited my brother and his family in Edmond for the first time, we went to the Cowboy Hall of Fame and Museum in OKC. It was WAY better than I expected. They have an excellent collection of Western and American Indian art.



Lol, Amy, did you read Katt's post? She said museums are out.



The Omniplex is a possibility, Katt. It's got more kid-friendly stuff than it used to. There's the OKC Zoo, depending on how you feel about that.



As far as food, I'm afraid I'm not much help. You might try Happycow and see what it says. I know there are indian restaurants in the city, but as far as vegetarian restaurants, there aren't any that I know of offhand.
Brandon is offline  
#365 Old 07-03-2009, 08:34 PM
Veggie Regular
 
Amy SF's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Southern California
Posts: 20,217
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandon View Post

Lol, Amy, did you read Katt's post? She said museums are out.



The Omniplex is a possibility, Katt. It's got more kid-friendly stuff than it used to. There's the OKC Zoo, depending on how you feel about that.



As far as food, I'm afraid I'm not much help. You might try Happycow and see what it says. I know there are indian restaurants in the city, but as far as vegetarian restaurants, there aren't any that I know of offhand.



I did read the post, but I thought the whole "Cowboy" thing might be of some interest to the kiddies. I was just throwing out an idea. 'Scuse me while I kiss the sky.

*this space not for sale*
Amy SF is offline  
#366 Old 07-03-2009, 09:16 PM
Veggie Regular
 
BizarreKelley's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 225
As far as stuff to do that's family-friendly, off the top of my head I can think of this place called Hey Day just south of OKC near Norman? You might look it up online to see if kids that age would like it (because I know nothing about the interests of young children), but they have arcade games, laser tag, mini golf - stuff like that. Also, while it's most likely going to be really hot, there are a few parks around - Lake Hefner usually has a bunch of people riding bikes or skating, and they have a park, and there are a few other parks.



Restaurant-wise... Good local pizza can be found at Hideaway Pizza (thin crust Margherita pizza makes me drool) and Ted's is a popular Mexican place that has no problem making substitutions to make something veg. Like Brandon said, other than a few Indian places that have lots of veg options, I haven't come across any true vegetarian restaurants in OKC. Norman has a veg deli if you end up down there, it's called The Earth and their food is yummy. Does that help??
BizarreKelley is offline  
#367 Old 07-07-2009, 01:35 PM
Veggie Regular
 
Angelik's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 482
If your family likes Indian, Taj is pretty awesome. They are buffet so there is something for everyone there. Even nasty ol' meat-eaters! Plus I think there is some kind of big amusement center in the same parking lot. Kind of like what Kelley was talking about, but I can't remember the name. B's brother was talking about how fun it is though!

I do not understand/What it is I've done wrong/Full of holes/Check for pulse/Blink your eyes/One for yes/Two for no/I have no idea what I am talking about/I am trapped in this body and can't get out-Radiohead
Angelik is offline  
#368 Old 07-07-2009, 01:38 PM
Veggie Regular
 
Brandon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 18,833
Quote:
Originally Posted by Angelik View Post

If your family likes Indian, Taj is pretty awesome. They are buffet so there is something for everyone there. Even nasty ol' meat-eaters! Plus I think there is some kind of big amusement center in the same parking lot. Kind of like what Kelley was talking about, but I can't remember the name. B's brother-in-law was talking about how fun it is though!



Fixed your post for ya. I don't have a brother.



And I believe you're talking about Incredible Pizza or something like that?
Brandon is offline  
#369 Old 07-07-2009, 01:44 PM
Veggie Regular
 
Angelik's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 482
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandon View Post

Fixed your post for ya. I don't have a brother.



And I believe you're talking about Incredible Pizza or something like that?



I had typed it out, changed it for some reason, then forgot to put it back in. Oops...



Yeah, Incredible Pizza! I forgot it's a restaurant as well. I would not want to do restaurant/amusement all in the same place. That might be more hell than it's worth.

I do not understand/What it is I've done wrong/Full of holes/Check for pulse/Blink your eyes/One for yes/Two for no/I have no idea what I am talking about/I am trapped in this body and can't get out-Radiohead
Angelik is offline  
#370 Old 07-07-2009, 05:46 PM
Veggie Regular
 
BizarreKelley's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 225
I've learned recently that titles of family members are completely arbitrary. A client the other day told me that a woman with the same last name as hers was a "play aunt - an aunt, but not really" ---





What?!



Yes, Incredible Pizza. My group went there once, but I did not go. I think they said it was ok?
BizarreKelley is offline  
#371 Old 07-07-2009, 06:45 PM
Veggie Regular
 
katt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Posts: 1,138
Thanks for the suggestions, everyone.. I've suggested some stuff to my mother, so who knows what will actually happen next month. I'd love Indian food, but it's probably too weird for some people in the family. I love a good curry, but I guess that has to wait until I'm down with the other side of the family.
katt is offline  
#372 Old 08-09-2010, 09:23 PM
Newbie
 
Sam86's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Seattle Washington
Posts: 98
I'm very frustrated with the lack of food choices I have. I live in western Oklahoma, I am about 80 miles from Okc and there is literally no city close by. I am new to being a vegetarian and I've heard about all these foods to try but the 2 stores my town has doesn't have any of it. Yes I know that they have rice, beans, seeds, nuts, fruits and veggies so I shouldn't really complain but I would love to have a store that has a lot of good foods that you can't find here. I can't even find vegetarian cheese.

There will be a Whole Foods in Okc next year but I don't want to drive 80 miles to shop there.

Is anybody else in this situation?
Sam86 is offline  
#373 Old 08-13-2010, 04:22 PM
Newbie
 
Oklahoma Wind's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 1
Sam, yeah, I was in that situation when I went vegan while living in a small village near the DMZ in South Korea. I am grateful that I didn't have all the choices I do know because it forced me to be very healthy. All I ate were whole foods and it completely changed my lifestyle. I am far healthier than I would have been if I'd had the choice of eating fake meats and such. Of course I ordered from veganessentials, but international shipping costs didn't allow me to gorge on yummy vegan junk food that I'm better off without no matter what my tastebuds might say. ^_^

By the way other Okies, it's me, DMZdogs. Hadn't had time to come around for awhile and when I tried to come back, I discovered that my password had been eaten. Couldn't get it fixed, so just made a new name. About time anyway considering I've been back for nearly three years now.
Oklahoma Wind is offline  
#374 Old 08-13-2010, 10:23 PM
Veggie Regular
 
Brandon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 18,833
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam86 View Post

I'm very frustrated with the lack of food choices I have. I live in western Oklahoma, I am about 80 miles from Okc and there is literally no city close by. I am new to being a vegetarian and I've heard about all these foods to try but the 2 stores my town has doesn't have any of it. Yes I know that they have rice, beans, seeds, nuts, fruits and veggies so I shouldn't really complain but I would love to have a store that has a lot of good foods that you can't find here. I can't even find vegetarian cheese.

There will be a Whole Foods in Okc next year but I don't want to drive 80 miles to shop there.

Is anybody else in this situation?

Hi Sam! Good to meet another OK veg*n!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oklahoma Wind View Post

Sam, yeah, I was in that situation when I went vegan while living in a small village near the DMZ in South Korea. I am grateful that I didn't have all the choices I do know because it forced me to be very healthy. All I ate were whole foods and it completely changed my lifestyle. I am far healthier than I would have been if I'd had the choice of eating fake meats and such. Of course I ordered from veganessentials, but international shipping costs didn't allow me to gorge on yummy vegan junk food that I'm better off without no matter what my tastebuds might say. ^_^

By the way other Okies, it's me, DMZdogs. Hadn't had time to come around for awhile and when I tried to come back, I discovered that my password had been eaten. Couldn't get it fixed, so just made a new name. About time anyway considering I've been back for nearly three years now.

I'd wondered where you'd gotten off to. (Besides Facebook )

Everyone had to reset their password when Michael switched the board software back to vBulletin. If you should want to go back to using your DMZ name we can work on getting the password fixed for you, if not I can get that account closed for you.
Brandon is offline  
#375 Old 08-15-2010, 05:41 PM
Banned
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Oklahoma
Posts: 130
Hey there okie veg*ns,

Good to know that there are more veg heads in Oklahoma. It's not easy to be vegetarian let alone vegan in a town like this, but I have manage to stay true to my convictions. We have a vegan/vegetarian group here (Vegans and Vegetarians of Stillwater). We organize potlucks every other Sunday. So if you happen to be in town, you're welcome to join us. Actually, I'm inviting each of you to come here to one of our potlucks. I'll be posting an announcement soon.

BTW, I don't give a damn penny for football so I think I'm safe!!!!
VeganKosmos is offline  
#376 Old 05-17-2011, 02:52 PM
Veggie Regular
 
Brandon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 18,833
Hi, I'm still around. Can we have warm weather now?
Brandon is offline  
#377 Old 01-04-2012, 12:19 AM
Veggie Regular
 
jaskins's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 501
Hey yall, I'm back from the dead! I mean I think I only posted in here twice so it's not even really a re-introduction but whatevs! I live in Stillwater most of the year (going to school, definitely not my first choice of a place to live!) and in Kansas City the rest. Back on the veg*n wagon and hoping to find some veg*n friends in OK! Looks like this board is pretty dead nowadays though :/ But hey, maybe this post will be like a siren to the Oklahoma VB'ers Anyone out there??

Sometimes you just have to put on lip gloss and pretend to be psyched. -Mindy Kaling
jaskins is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in


Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off