Oklahoma What city do you live in (OK)? - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 02-05-2008, 06:48 PM
Beginner

These things seem to get lost in other threads, so here's a thread just for that...

I'm in Tulsa.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 02-07-2008, 07:57 AM
Veggie Regular

Tulsa
#3 Old 02-07-2008, 08:16 AM
Veggie Regular

Norman
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 04-29-2008, 07:01 PM
Veggie Regular

OKC here
#5 Old 04-29-2008, 07:11 PM
Veggie Regular

well, that's it for the okies... might as well close the thread... lol...

Nec Aspera Terrent
#6 Old 04-29-2008, 07:12 PM
Veggie Regular

You Tulsa folks, if you go to the Hideaway at 81st and Harvard, you'll see the large collage in the main dining room.. I made that...

Nec Aspera Terrent
#7 Old 04-29-2008, 07:18 PM
Veggie Regular

by july, i'll be in norman.
#8 Old 04-29-2008, 08:41 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by WonderRandy View Post

well, that's it for the okies... might as well close the thread... lol...

We were up to like 5 at one point and then they all ran off after like 5 posts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenna View Post

by july, i'll be in norman.

Oh really? What a coincidence! Look me up when you're here, maybe we could hang out.

#9 Old 05-03-2008, 06:33 PM
Veggie Regular

I rarely bother coming into this forum because there just aren't enough Okies to keep a conversation going.

That said...may be changing my Okiation to OKC late this year.
#10 Old 05-03-2008, 10:58 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMZdogs View Post

I rarely bother coming into this forum because there just aren't enough Okies to keep a conversation going.

That said...may be changing my Okiation to OKC late this year.

Well, we could try right? Might make the fly-by people stick around a while longer.

What part of OKC? North? South?

I like the word "Okiation".

There's been a few instances of talk about having an OK/TX VB meetup, would you be interested in doing that at some point? (hypothetically)
#11 Old 05-04-2008, 03:39 PM
Veggie Regular

I have no idea what part. I will probably check out the yoga centers and then try to live near the one I like the most. It'll be absolutely horrible having to give up going to my place here in Tulsa. I love it! I just started last month, but have been going to nine classes a week the past two weeks. Starting next week, I'm upping it to 12 and I'd gladly live in little corner of it if they let me.

Reason for moving? Dad got transferred there. He's been commuting back and forth for a few weeks now, but has to be living there by July 1st. No idea how long it'll take them to sell their house and buy another one and move and all that, but there is no way that they are leaving me behind in Tulsa. I came all the way to Tulsa from Korea just because THEY live here. Other than that fabulous yoga place, I have no ties to this city. My dad is holding out hopes for getting a chance to work from his house instead, but we don't know if that is going to be an option or not.

Last time I lived in that area, I was a UCO student, so I lived in Edmond. No idea what the rest of the area is like.

We probably ought to have more than just two states in the meet-up so we don't end up with just 3-4 people sitting around shelling peas. Why not include Arkansas, Kansas, and New Mexico? Might be some people living near the border who'd be suckered into (er, persuaded into) coming. I'd certainly be willing, but would not come if smoking were going to be an option. (asthma...smoke is one of the few guaranteed trigger points)

What part of Oklahoma City would you recommend or say avoid? What about apartments? (I like tiny apartments...500 square feet is what I have now and it's really too big.) Oh, and somewhere green would be nice. My apartment complex now may be terribly unsafe, unkept, and run-down, but it has lots of green grass and trees. *sob* Will miss the green of Tulsa. OKC is just too dry. Know anything about any of the yoga places?
#12 Old 05-06-2008, 04:00 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandon View Post

Well, we could try right? Might make the fly-by people stick around a while longer.

You aren't doing so hot on keeping up your end of the conversation!
#13 Old 05-06-2008, 09:58 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

You aren't doing so hot on keeping up your end of the conversation!

Sorry!

Quote:

I have no idea what part. I will probably check out the yoga centers and then try to live near the one I like the most. It'll be absolutely horrible having to give up going to my place here in Tulsa. I love it! I just started last month, but have been going to nine classes a week the past two weeks. Starting next week, I'm upping it to 12 and I'd gladly live in little corner of it if they let me.

Reason for moving? Dad got transferred there. He's been commuting back and forth for a few weeks now, but has to be living there by July 1st. No idea how long it'll take them to sell their house and buy another one and move and all that, but there is no way that they are leaving me behind in Tulsa. I came all the way to Tulsa from Korea just because THEY live here. Other than that fabulous yoga place, I have no ties to this city. My dad is holding out hopes for getting a chance to work from his house instead, but we don't know if that is going to be an option or not.

Last time I lived in that area, I was a UCO student, so I lived in Edmond. No idea what the rest of the area is like.

We probably ought to have more than just two states in the meet-up so we don't end up with just 3-4 people sitting around shelling peas. Why not include Arkansas, Kansas, and New Mexico? Might be some people living near the border who'd be suckered into (er, persuaded into) coming. I'd certainly be willing, but would not come if smoking were going to be an option. (asthma...smoke is one of the few guaranteed trigger points)

We could do that, I mean really...the more the merrier right? And regarding the smoking, I don't want to be around it either. If anyone were a smoker that came they could go outside or whatever but definitely to smoking being an option.

And at the thought of 3-4 people shelling peas. (though we could have some yummy fresh peas...)

Quote:

What part of Oklahoma City would you recommend or say avoid? What about apartments? (I like tiny apartments...500 square feet is what I have now and it's really too big.) Oh, and somewhere green would be nice. My apartment complex now may be terribly unsafe, unkept, and run-down, but it has lots of green grass and trees. *sob* Will miss the green of Tulsa. OKC is just too dry. Know anything about any of the yoga places?

Unfortunately, my knowledge of OKC is very limited. I lived on th e south side of OKC from the ages of 12 to 18 and it was ok. I've had some experiences in north OKC, I used to work up at Shepherd Mall and I dated a girl who lived off of 23rd St., I have to say that part of the city is odd to me. One block is very nice, and then 2 blocks over is total ghetto. In my experience though, you'll want to avoid N OKC, East of I-35. Kinda rough from what I've seen.

As far as green goes, probably best to avoid NW OKC too, it's kind of ....urban. As urban as OKC gets anyway.

I moved from S. OKC to Moore at 18 and stayed there til I turned 21 and moved out of the folks' house. Definitely not a fan of Moore either.

I've been in Norman since I was 21 (14 years come October) and I really enjoy it down here. It's a pretty town and I find the people to be (for the most part) very agreeable and liberal-minded compared to the rest of the state. I've not lived in Tulsa or Edmond, so I have no idea what that's like.

Honestly, does it not surprise you that OK has started being more modern? I'd be interested in your reactions upon moving back here from Korea.

We should keep talking about the meetup idea!
#14 Old 05-07-2008, 10:07 AM
Veggie Regular

Honestly, does it not surprise you that OK has started being more modern? I'd be interested in your reactions upon moving back here from Korea.

More modern? In what way? I think that is a little difficult for me to say considering where I spent the last decade or so....lots of things seem more modern in comparison to there, and a surprising number seem really outdated as well. Oklahoma is pretty much just as I remembered it. Hmmm...no, wait. There is a lot more Spanish around now....signs, labels, and such, which I think is fabulous. I know how much I appreciated any available English while I lived in Korea, so I get what it's like for Spanish speakers.

We should keep talking about the meetup idea! We'll have to see who all we could coerce, er, talk into coming and try to come up with a location that is as centralized as possible. I don't think we need to worry about vegan options...it'd probably be best that we all invade the produce section of a supermarket at the same time, wearing loud vegan clothes (as in, with "Vegan" emblazoned across our chests in bright colors and possibly blinking sparkly lights if the battery-pack wouldn't be too heavy or something equally, or maybe even less tacky) and purchase supplies for a picnic and then go have a picnic somewhere, playing vegan-friendly songs that we could sing along with, badly, oooh, and we'd have to have a secret handshake or signal. We could invite any open-mouthed staring people to join us and then have an intervention and convert them...or just give them good vegan food while radiating not-so-subtle vegan vibes.

And, I found out yesterday, the relocation to OKC (or surrounding area) is definite, but not sure yet exactly when. Or where. Regardless, there is a very good chance that you might be the very first real live vegan that I meet, provided I'm able to hunt you down in Norman. I'll probably want to take pictures to immortalize the event.
#15 Old 05-07-2008, 11:37 AM
Veggie Regular

I'm sorry I don't get to the boards very often. I'll try harder. I live in SE OKC, near Moore.

DMZ, since you like tiny apartments, The Aberdeen has small studios in a really neat, old building downtown. Last time I checked, the rent was CHEAP, but there was a long waiting list, so you might wanna look them up. In downtown, it is true that a few blocks will be nice, then the next few kinda iffy, but I like the diversity. There is a great yoga studio in the Paseo district not far from there and also a vegan friendly restaurant nearby called The Red Cup. Otherwise, I agree with Brandon. Norman is great too.

I'd love to meet up with everyone! I only have one real live veggie friend!
#16 Old 05-07-2008, 11:46 AM
Veggie Regular

BRANDON!!! Someone entered "our" conversation! Quick, grab her and surround her with extra tall celery stalks so she can't get away!!!!!!!!!!!!

*attempts to look pleasant and welcoming* NoMeatMary~ hi, how are ya? Do you hereby agree to commit yourself to attending the grand tri-(or more, but not Moore)state area Vegan Bash?
#17 Old 05-07-2008, 12:05 PM
Veggie Regular

:
#18 Old 05-07-2008, 12:21 PM
Veggie Regular

Not the great wall o' celery!!! Oh wait, I'll just eat my way thru it.

Consider this my RSVP for the Vegan Bash!
#19 Old 05-07-2008, 01:33 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

More modern? In what way? I think that is a little difficult for me to say considering where I spent the last decade or so....lots of things seem more modern in comparison to there, and a surprising number seem really outdated as well. Oklahoma is pretty much just as I remembered it. Hmmm...no, wait. There is a lot more Spanish around now....signs, labels, and such, which I think is fabulous. I know how much I appreciated any available English while I lived in Korea, so I get what it's like for Spanish speakers.

I guess "modern" isn't a good choice of words...maybe "with it" or "less backward". Restaurants have veg*n options. Bricktown. We get (occasionally) big name groups playing concerts here. Etc. etc.

I was pretty amazed to see both tattoos and the lottery happen finally!

Quote:

We'll have to see who all we could coerce, er, talk into coming and try to come up with a location that is as centralized as possible. I don't think we need to worry about vegan options...it'd probably be best that we all invade the produce section of a supermarket at the same time, wearing loud vegan clothes (as in, with "Vegan" emblazoned across our chests in bright colors and possibly blinking sparkly lights if the battery-pack wouldn't be too heavy or something equally, or maybe even less tacky) and purchase supplies for a picnic and then go have a picnic somewhere, playing vegan-friendly songs that we could sing along with, badly, oooh, and we'd have to have a secret handshake or signal. We could invite any open-mouthed staring people to join us and then have an intervention and convert them...or just give them good vegan food while radiating not-so-subtle vegan vibes.

That sort of thing would probably either get us on the news or land is in prison, one...

Quote:

And, I found out yesterday, the relocation to OKC (or surrounding area) is definite, but not sure yet exactly when. Or where. Regardless, there is a very good chance that you might be the very first real live vegan that I meet, provided I'm able to hunt you down in Norman. I'll probably want to take pictures to immortalize the event.

Before last summer, I hadn't met any other real live vegans either. Since then I've actually run into a few here in Norman.

By mid-July Jenna will be living out here too, so you can meet two for the price of one!
#20 Old 05-07-2008, 01:34 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMeatMary View Post

Not the great wall o' celery!!! Oh wait, I'll just eat my way thru it.

Consider this my RSVP for the Vegan Bash!

You realize we're going to hold you to that, right?
#21 Old 05-07-2008, 01:53 PM
Beginner

I might be able to come... but you can't hold me to that just yet.
#22 Old 05-07-2008, 02:17 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

You realize we're going to hold you to that, right?

Good!!! I need some vegan friends!
#23 Old 05-07-2008, 02:28 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMeatMary View Post

Good!!! I need some vegan friends!

We all do!
#24 Old 05-07-2008, 09:02 PM
Veggie Regular

Did anybody lose power tonight? I saw on the news that a good number of people did in the North metro and places around there.

It was pretty tame for storm weather here in Norman. Just rain and thunder for the most part.
#25 Old 05-07-2008, 09:32 PM
Beginner

The power flickered once but that's it for tonight. Thunder, lightning and rain. Lots of rain!
#26 Old 05-07-2008, 11:05 PM
Veggie Regular

Sirens and power went off at work. At least there wasn't any hail like the last one. I got golf ball sized dents from that one.
#27 Old 05-08-2008, 12:45 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

I

I was pretty amazed to see both tattoos and the lottery happen finally!

What!!?? You guys FINALLY legalized Tattooing?

Nec Aspera Terrent
#28 Old 05-08-2008, 07:40 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by WonderRandy View Post

What!!?? You guys FINALLY legalized Tattooing?

Yep, can you believe it? It's been a couple years now I think or coming up on 2 years. There are tattoo places on downtown Main St. in Norman even.

Made sense that they finally did it, it was stupid that you could get piercings but not tattoos.
#29 Old 05-08-2008, 03:21 PM
Veggie Regular

Tornado sirens went off just as my yoga class began. We all shifted a bit uncomfortably (we were supposed to be meditating to start with, which is hard when all you want to do is cram your feet into your ears to block the siren) and the teacher looked like she really regretted agreeing to sub for the guy who was supposed to be teaching us. hahahaha~ Then the wind picked up, someone dumped a swimming pool of water over us, the lights went out, lightning flashed repeatedly, lighting up the studio, thunder boomed.....and we all.....BREATHED. (Only funny if you take yoga)

smallleah, it's too late. I've etched your name onto the list. The only possible excuse at this point would be rioting in your neighborhood due to a worldwide spinach shortage.

Brandon, please warn her that she's going to be photographed and entered into my soon-to-exist Scrapbook Of Okie Vegans.

And seriously? Tattooing was illegal? I didn't know that!

Brandon again, what's bricktown? I mean, I've heard that name before, and I know it's in OKCish area, but I don't actually know what it is.

WonderRandy, thank you for posting in this thread. We all expect to see you at the Grand Vegan Bash. Gifts are not only welcome but expected.

I think we need a better name....Grand Vegan Bash is subpar. Suggestions?
#30 Old 05-08-2008, 04:31 PM
Beginner

I've been to Bricktown in OKC a couple times. There are LOTS of restaurants and a 10 foot wide man-made "river" winding through the area. I recall the Ford center, a small brewery, a movie theater and also the botanical gardens nearby. I guess the general idea is just dining and entertainment.

Aha! Link -> http://www.bricktownokc.com/index.asp

DMZ - Have you been to to Riverwalk here in Tulsa? (If so) what do you think?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page