OKLAHOMA CITY 2013 - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 08-08-2013, 06:09 PM

Hi Y'all!

I see stuff on here from 2008-2009 and no recent posts... I want to start a NEW conversation!! Lets talk about anything! Here, I will get it started.....

I am Midwest City, OKC - 26, Female and Gluten Free, Dairy Free... and somewhere in between Veggie & Vegan.

I am really strict with No Gluten, No Dairy, No Eggs, NO MEAT...(...yeah, I spend A LOT of time in the isles of the grocery store reading labels....) However, I still eat white sugar (if its an ingredient in something else... and I do not buy Vegan clothing, makeup, and other things because....

#1. I am still fairly new (just trying to eat vegan first...)

#2. Not sure I can afford it...

I am not one to go to Whole Foods and spend $1,000.00 for ingredients for 2 meals. Seriously... I've visited Whole Foods and $80.00 later... wondered, WHAT IN THE WORLD DID I BUY? ... and I look down and see that I bought some Lara Bars, Hummus, and Olives. Sheesh...

Also, I don't feel like being Vegan means I should be buying pre-packaged stuff just because it says Vegan on it....I am not going to drive to Whole Foods and stock up on boxes of "Vegan" food just so I can be "Vegan."

The thing about my diet is that I can't eat most of the veggie burgers and fake meats because they contain Gluten. Even if I wanted to... I couldn't. I will spare you all the reason why I cannot eat Gluten as it is a BOOK to write, but I will say that it is due to medical reasons and my body FREAKS OUT, I have crazy circus freak show symptoms, and I suffer for a really long time afterwards...

I might be closer to 100% Vegan than I think I am though... but I am not going to stress out because it will cause me to fail. I do not do good with stress.... I tried to go Vegan a year ago... and I just stressed myself out so bad (because I was trying to go GF at the exact same time AND I had just moved back to USA) and I just had to give up and focus on GF first before I did anything else. It was too much at one time... So it has taken me a LONG time to finally get here.. It has been a journey but I feel stronger (& smarter) now... By the way, when I say I eat white sugar sometimes.. I mean like once a month! However, I know this makes me non-vegan and I am ok with saying I am veggie for right now because I am doing it successfully.

~~

Eating Out...

I find it hard to eat out in OKC due to my diet... but I am dealing with it. There is an AMAZING Mediterranean place to eat here in Midwest City called "Basil Mediterranean Café" and it really is spectacular! I order the Veggie Kabob with rice... NO PITA and NO YOGURT SAUCE!

If anyone knows of any other places to eat in the area please let me know! I Wish there was a Ruby Tuesdays here.... I absolutely love their salad bar... Not driving to Tulsa for that though...

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 08-08-2013, 06:23 PM
Veggie Regular

Hello Ashleigh!

Welcome to VB! Personally I think you're doing all the right things to transition. Some people do fine will going all out and others take it low and slow. Its really a credit to you that you recognize in yourself what will happen if you put too much pressure on.

I think you're right about buying packaged vegan foods. I used to do that but figured I can make better food myself, or at leat food better suited to my tastes. You can easily eat vegan sticking to the produce section and GF whole grains.

When you're ready to move into vegan non-food products, you will. One last thing, not all sugar manufacturers use bone char. You really need to call them to know for sure. You could easily already be using a vegan sugar.

I look forward to seeing you in the forums!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page