Oklahoma New from Tulsa! - VeggieBoards

Oklahoma New from Tulsa!

artinhappiness's Avatar artinhappiness
04:02 PM 09-17-2009
Hi everyone - just wanted to pop my head in over here and say hi. I'm a recent "convert" for lack of a better term, though I'm not quite to the point where we could classify ourselves as vegetarians just yet (getting there rapidly though!) I don't think my other half would ever classify himself as veg - he just eats whatever I put down for him lol. We've lived just south of Tulsa for about two years now, and have a little girl who's 9m old.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

BizarreKelley's Avatar BizarreKelley
08:27 PM 09-17-2009
Welcome! What part of Tulsa? I grew up in Jenks.
06:48 AM 09-18-2009
I'm actually in Jenks :-D I grew up in Boston, so this is somewhat a change!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Brandon's Avatar Brandon
09:25 AM 09-18-2009
Boston's a cool place, some of us VB people met up out there a few summers ago. I really enjoyed it, and man what a lot of good vegan restaurants!

Other than the culture shock, lack of good public transport and vegan eateries, how are you liking Oklahoma so far?

Angelik's Avatar Angelik
01:51 PM 09-18-2009
Hi! Welcome to VB!
WonderRandy's Avatar WonderRandy
01:55 PM 09-18-2009
I lived in Tulsa for several years. It's one of the few mainland cities I would consider living in. Downtown Tulsa is beautiful!
Brandon's Avatar Brandon
02:03 PM 09-18-2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by WonderRandy View Post

I lived in Tulsa for several years. It's one of the few mainland cities I would consider living in. Downtown Tulsa is beautiful!

Perhaps you should.....
Angelik's Avatar Angelik
02:05 PM 09-18-2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandon View Post

Perhaps you should.....

Yeah come back Randy! I would like to meet you!
02:09 PM 09-18-2009
while Tulsa is on my list of desirable mainland cities, it falls behind Portland, Seattle, LA, and NYC.

And all of those fall behind Honolulu...
Brandon's Avatar Brandon
02:11 PM 09-18-2009
Quote:

while Tulsa is on my list of desirable mainland cities, it falls behind Portland, Seattle, LA, and NYC.

Well, you knew I had to try.
Angelik's Avatar Angelik
02:13 PM 09-18-2009
Quote:

What does Honolulu have over Oklahoma really?

I'm sure that life isn't long enough for that answer.

02:17 PM 09-18-2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by Angelik View Post

What does Honolulu have over Oklahoma really?

I'm sure that life isn't long enough for that answer.

Homelessness, high crime, drugs, poor education, urban congestion...
Angelik's Avatar Angelik
02:29 PM 09-18-2009
Quote:

Homelessness, high crime, drugs, poor education, urban congestion...

Aw, the sad points. I also have heard it's very expensive.

I know that Hawaii is always needing traveling nurses, I know a lot that have went there. I would like to go someday, but not to work.

07:23 AM 09-21-2009
Quote:

Boston's a cool place, some of us VB people met up out there a few summers ago. I really enjoyed it, and man what a lot of good vegan restaurants!

Other than the culture shock, lack of good public transport and vegan eateries, how are you liking Oklahoma so far?

It's not bad, but I won't lie and say I plan on spending the rest of my life here. We both miss the ocean, and I spent a few years living in the foothills of the Smokey Mtns in Tennessee, and think that felt more like home than Oklahoma does if I can't get back to a coast.

Quote:

Really? I don't honestly see it. I avoid downtown like the plague unless I need the library. I miss the bustling life that Boston's downtown area has - in comparison, Tulsa is dead. Not to mention the stark contrast to the neighborhoods right at I-244.
Brandon's Avatar Brandon
01:22 PM 09-22-2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by artinhappiness View Post

It's not bad, but I won't lie and say I plan on spending the rest of my life here. We both miss the ocean, and I spent a few years living in the foothills of the Smokey Mtns in Tennessee, and think that felt more like home than Oklahoma does if I can't get back to a coast.

I've always said if I have to be in Oklahoma, I want to be in Norman. Of all the places I've been, it seems the most like home to me.

I can definitely imagine missing the ocean if you'd been near one for a while.

Quote:

Really? I don't honestly see it. I avoid downtown like the plague unless I need the library. I miss the bustling life that Boston's downtown area has - in comparison, Tulsa is dead. Not to mention the stark contrast to the neighborhoods right at I-244.

There's really no comparing anywhere in Oklahoma to Boston. I agree with you about the downtown area, it's really nice. I don't recall it being that crowded really, although we were there in the summer so maybe people were on vacation.

I've only been to Tulsa 1-2 times, so I'm not sure if I recall much about it.

12:10 AM 10-01-2009
Well the whole dispersal loop @ I-244/I-75/I-44/I-69 is a huge gigantic mess, apparently. They've recently started doing work on it, and while I haven't had to go through it, I definitely hope I don't have to. Oklahoma can't compete with most places (Oh Oregon, how I miss thee), but if you are going to live in Oklahoma, I think Tulsa is probably the best place. I really think it would be best if Norman was a suburb of Tulsa. It has no business being connected to Oklahoma City.
Brandon's Avatar Brandon
12:36 AM 10-01-2009
No, no....Norman is its own entity. You *can* reach it via OKC thru Moore but that doesn't imply a literal connection.

We're our own deal.

03:48 AM 10-01-2009
keep telling yourself that Brandon...
Brandon's Avatar Brandon
08:14 AM 10-01-2009
Don't have to. I'm living here. I've lived in OKC, Moore, the Mid/Del area and here. OKC & Moore are virtually indistinguishable these days, but Norman is still distinct.
MaddSkillz's Avatar MaddSkillz
02:55 PM 02-02-2010
Hey, my wife and I are in the South Tulsa area as well! Wife is a 1 year vegetarian. I've been completely off of meat for 1 month.. Prior to that it was very sporadic... a couple of times a week at most... Anyway, I've jumped in with both feet now! It's sink or swim and I certainly am not gonna drown! haha
Brandon's Avatar Brandon
12:55 PM 02-03-2010
Can I just say that we have had ENOUGH of this snow and associated nastiness? I'm ready to be able to not have the bottoms of my pants be all wet all day.
Angelik's Avatar Angelik
02:03 PM 02-03-2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaddSkillz View Post

Hey, my wife and I are in the South Tulsa area as well! Wife is a 1 year vegetarian. I've been completely off of meat for 1 month.. Prior to that it was very sporadic... a couple of times a week at most... Anyway, I've jumped in with both feet now! It's sink or swim and I certainly am not gonna drown! haha

Kelley lives in Tulsa right now. She escapes from time to time and flees to visit us in Norman though. Just kidding, Kell, I know she likes it up there.

Congrats on taking the plunge! One month is awesome!

Quote:

Can I just say that we have had ENOUGH of this snow and associated nastiness? I'm ready to be able to not have the bottoms of my pants be all wet all day.

I keep demanding winter to go away, but it just won't listen. Wet pants and socks are the suckiest thing evah!
11:47 AM 06-25-2010
Holy crap, I posted! How are you guys doing? I am still living in Jenks. And yes, occasionally I go visit my dear friends in Norman. I do miss Norman! I'll take Tulsa over OKC anyday though.
Reply Up