I Swear... [VB's profanity filter] - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 
Closed Thread

#1 Old 05-08-2009, 11:03 AM

Some people swear. This is a board for adults, so is there a reason that certain words are hidden with asterisks instead?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 05-08-2009, 12:16 PM
Administrator

This is not a board "for adults." It's a board for those 13 and older not to mention adults who don't want to read swear words and people who view the forum at work or school or in front of their children.

It's been that way since the beginning and won't change.

VeggieBoards Alumni Facebook Group

If you're an old time VB'er stop by and say hi!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
#3 Old 05-09-2009, 03:51 PM
Veggie Regular

Thank you for keeping it that way, Michael. I wouldn't be able to view it at work otherwise. And really can do without reading swear words. So unoriginal.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 05-09-2009, 04:07 PM
Veggie Regular

Because people are boring and conservative.

"Hell exists not to punish sinners, but to ensure that nobody sins in the first place."
#5 Old 05-09-2009, 04:09 PM

I like it that way, too. When I first joined veggieboards I was in highschool. A lot of time I had a 'free period' pretty much during my computer class (I could do the work in a few minutes, I already knew everything pretty much) and would get on here. If the filter wasn't there I couldn't have signed on. A lot of people wouldn't be able to view it at work, either. I think a few public libraries have filters, too. There's also no chance of young kids around seeing "bad words" by mistake this way.
#6 Old 05-09-2009, 04:09 PM
Contributing Member

I can understand when someone is angry and arguing in person they might swear as your not really thinking about what your saying, but when writing something online you have time to think about what to say.

Besides cussing is too easy, finding alternative words to express how you feel makes you think.

‎"One meal, soon forgotten, in exchange for a whole life." Author Unknown
"Fur is worn by beautiful animals and ugly people"

#7 Old 05-09-2009, 04:17 PM
Banned

if anyone feels repressed by having their adult language edited, maybe it'll help them to know that only about 3 or so words are actually asterisked out, and if their sentance makes any sense at all, then even with the asterisks in place it's still very obvious to everyone reading it which word they were using.

i'm very prone to using the naughty words in real life myself, and i manage to cope- the pay off is worth it if i'm posting from somewhere that blocks sites with dodgy words on them.

perhaps you'll just have to get a bit creative and make up your own colourful sounding descriptive words to use in place of explicit language, if you really need them.
#8 Old 05-09-2009, 11:44 PM
Veggie Regular

Mother of pearl! What the fudge people? Can't you come up with some flippin' better words than curse words, darn it? Crazy sons of biscuits! *hangs head in shame at pathetic attempt at a joke and exits thread*
#9 Old 05-10-2009, 02:52 AM
Banned

Dash blast the gosh darn blankety heck!

It's a shame about the that certain ***take mushroon, though
#10 Old 05-10-2009, 05:18 AM
Veggie Regular

I'll just have to curse in other languages then.

"Hell exists not to punish sinners, but to ensure that nobody sins in the first place."
#11 Old 05-10-2009, 10:13 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReaganNC View Post

Mother of pearl! What the fudge people? Can't you come up with some flippin' better words than curse words, darn it? Crazy sons of biscuits! *hangs head in shame at pathetic attempt at a joke and exits thread*

crazy sons of biscuits i have never heard this before, and i like it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrFalafel View Post

yeah, i was thinking about this. i do feel bad for the mushoom. poor mushroom.
#12 Old 05-10-2009, 10:16 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
blankety heck

This is totally my new favorite faux swear word!
#13 Old 05-10-2009, 10:30 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tofu-N-Sprouts View Post

Thank you for keeping it that way, Michael. I wouldn't be able to view it at work otherwise. And really can do without reading swear words. So unoriginal.

Every bit the school teacher as usual!

m8itcanw8.com
#14 Old 05-10-2009, 02:08 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrFalafel View Post

except that the mushroom is properly spelled "shiitake", so those who know how to spell don't have a problem....

Nec Aspera Terrent
#15 Old 05-10-2009, 02:16 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by WonderRandy View Post

except that the mushroom is properly spelled "shiitake", so those who know how to spell don't have a problem....

hahaha!!!! good one!
#16 Old 05-10-2009, 03:09 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by WonderRandy View Post

That was exactly my thought

Same to the people who actually have "Shih-tzus" and not "****sus"

http://megatarian.blogspot.com
#17 Old 05-10-2009, 03:19 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by rabid_child View Post

That was exactly my thought

Same to the people who actually have "Shih-tzus" and not "****sus"

its actually ****shoe. it is when i say it, anyway.
#18 Old 05-10-2009, 04:12 PM
Veggie Regular

I feel better now.
#19 Old 05-11-2009, 03:05 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoodedclawjen View Post

i'm very prone to using the naughty words in real life myself, and i manage to cope

ditto. it doesn't worry me one bit -- I don't have to adjust what I say at all, the swear filter just may or may not censor it a bit. *shrug* usually I'm not swearing so much that my post can't still be understood.

plus, most of my favourite swear words aren't censored, so now many of the sluts know some colourful British words that they didn't before.
#20 Old 05-11-2009, 05:33 AM

I'm happy for the filter. The only real reason to ever use curse words, and even then I don't condone it but just understand it a tiny bit more, is during ranting. And I haven't seen all that many rants on here. I can't really see another good reason to use them here.

I mean I love my veggies as much as the next veg, but I don't need to run around saying I ****ING LOVE VEGETABLES! Or anything lol
#21 Old 05-11-2009, 09:42 AM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by SheThrowsDown View Post

I mean I love my veggies as much as the next veg, but I don't need to run around saying I ****ING LOVE VEGETABLES! Or anything lol

And really, that can be misconstrued in terrible sexual innuendos anyways.
#22 Old 05-11-2009, 09:49 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by isowish View Post

plus, most of my favourite swear words aren't censored, so now many of the sluts know some colourful British words that they didn't before.

yeah, i love that our national obscenities are immune from the filter.
#23 Old 05-11-2009, 10:53 AM
Veggie Regular

VB's profanity filter is set with a fair amount of leniency. I don't see how this could possibly be an issue. Even if the board were an 'adult' board, not every adult feels that it is necessary to use profane language on a regular basis and not every adult wishes to read it on a regular basis.

I can, when suitably riled, let loose with a string of curses that would do a sailor proud. That does not mean that I want to listen to or hear swearing on a regular basis.

As I have tried to tell my daughter, there is always a better word or turn of phrase. Being forced to find those better words and turns of phrase is a good thing.

I am the user formerly known as MrsKey
#24 Old 05-11-2009, 12:12 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsKey View Post

VB's profanity filter is set with a fair amount of leniency. I don't see how this could possibly be an issue.

It depends on where you're from on whether a person finds it lenient or not. For example, in my country, you'd be hard pressed to find a person giving much of a s*** about reading the word s***.

From what I've picked up from my own travels around the globe, it seems like it's mostly Christian Americans who are still hanging on to the belief that it somehow makes you a more refined and educated person if you don't swear, which is just repressed nonsense IMO. No-one else seems to really care that much. I've got American friends who really don't care about swearing anywhere near as much as people on this particular board seem to.

m8itcanw8.com
#25 Old 05-11-2009, 12:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pixelle View Post

It depends on where you're from on whether a person finds it lenient or not. For example, in my country, you'd be hard pressed to find a person giving much of a s*** about reading the word s***.

From what I've picked up from my own travels around the globe, it seems like it's mostly Christian Americans who are still hanging on to the belief that it somehow makes you a more refined and educated person if you don't swear, which is just repressed nonsense IMO. No-one else seems to really care that much. I've got American friends who really don't care about swearing anywhere near as much as people on this particular board seem to.

But your friends aren't a representation of all people. I don't like profanity. Do I use it sometimes? Yes, but not much. And it has nothing to do with being a Christian either...I just think it's uncalled for in most situations. If profanity was no big deal then when I worked in retail I would have been allowed to say, "Oh yea the ****ing CDs are over on the damn shelf." But yea...not appropriate.
#26 Old 05-11-2009, 12:16 PM
Ankle Biter

Quote:

its actually ****shoe. it is when i say it, anyway.

"****shoe" is actually what comes after the shih-tzu.

It is our choices that show what we truly are far more than our abilities. ~A. Dumbledore
#27 Old 05-11-2009, 12:19 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pixelle View Post

i dunno- i think maybe its more of a general straightlaced-ness mindset thing for some people. my mother isn't a fan of swearing (i think i've heard her use the 's' word a handful of times, and a few others when she's repeated back to me things i've said), and she's not christian or american, she's just in her 60's and finds bad language vulgar and distasteful. she's not gonna pass out having been entirely tramatised or morally outraged by the use of profanity, she's just neither enamoured nor impressed by it, and she finds it a bit lazy and is used to it being deemed inappropriate in circles that she's used to moving in.
#28 Old 05-11-2009, 12:22 PM
Banned

Quote:

If profanity was no big deal then when I worked in retail I would have been allowed to say, "Oh yea the ****ing CDs are over on the damn shelf." But yea...not appropriate.

i bet if you worked in australia you could say that.
#29 Old 05-11-2009, 12:39 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

i dunno- i think maybe its more of a general straightlaced-ness mindset thing for some people. my mother isn't a fan of swearing (i think i've heard her use the 's' word a handful of times, and a few others when she's repeated back to me things i've said), and she's not christian or american, she's just in her 60's and finds bad language vulgar and distasteful. she's not gonna pass out having been entirely tramatised or morally outraged by the use of profanity, she's just neither enamoured nor impressed by it, and she finds it a bit lazy and is used to it being deemed inappropriate in circles that she's used to moving in.

That's definitely part of it, my mum's a bit the same (lets compare notes on our English mum's. LOL), but I'm just saying in my experience, it's mostly Christian Americans who are still the most unsettled by swearing compared to everyone else.

Quote:

But your friends aren't a representation of all people.

No, they're not, but I think they are a better representation of regular, everyday, Americans than a lot of the posters on VB are IMO. A lot of Americans curse regularly but from a lot of the attitudes that are represented on VB, an outsider would get the impression that that isn't the case.

Quote:

i bet if you worked in australia you could say that.

m8itcanw8.com
#30 Old 05-11-2009, 12:41 PM

This is where I'll go with the "if everyone jumped off a bridge would you do it too" argument. Just because "regular everday Americans" curse regularly doesn't mean it should be the standard and something permitted on a forum.
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page