I Swear... [VB's profanity filter] - Page 2 - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 
Closed Thread

#31 Old 05-11-2009, 12:53 PM
Veggie Regular

we're talking about FOUR WORDS, out of the entire english language. seriously, it doesn't take a lot of imagination to come up with another way of stating your strong feelings about something.

Nec Aspera Terrent
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#32 Old 05-11-2009, 01:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WonderRandy View Post

we're talking about FOUR WORDS, out of the entire english language. seriously, it doesn't take a lot of imagination to come up with another way of stating your strong feelings about something.

i type almost exactly the way i speak offline. if the thought comes out of my head with a swear word attached to it [as it sometimes does in real life], then thats the way it goes down on the page. its only a msg brd post im writing not something really important, so i really dont feel a need to stop and think about conveying my posts in another way when that isnt how i would talk in real life.
#33 Old 05-11-2009, 01:51 PM
Veggie Regular

To those who feel hindered by the filter: use it as an opportunity to expand your vocabulary. There are better words out there that can be used to better convey your thoughts. Talking on a public forum is different than personal conversations held with friends. Many strangers of all ages are able to read what you say, and those words are used to represent yourself.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#34 Old 05-11-2009, 01:56 PM

Quote:
Many strangers of all ages are able to read what you say

I had just thought of this and was coming to post it. Another thing about the filter is that we have to remember that you only have to be 13 to JOIN the forum. Any age person can come and read it...that includes children who don't need to read that kind of language
#35 Old 05-11-2009, 02:13 PM
Arrrg! Me mateys.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kali View Post

i type almost exactly the way i speak offline. if the thought comes out of my head with a swear word attached to it [as it sometimes does in real life], then thats the way it goes down on the page. its only a msg brd post im writing not something really important, so i really dont feel a need to stop and think about conveying my posts in another way when that isnt how i would talk in real life.

Then if it includes one of the words filtered by asterisks, then it's filtered by asterisks.

I don't get why people care so much about it. It's only four words blocked. Four words. How many other words are there out there? Billions? Deal with it.

I certainly don't want to read it. I don't want to hear it. If someone uses them constantly in their typical vocabulary, in my mind, it only makes that person look unintelligent. Why? Because there is billions of words out there. Of thousands of languages, both dead and alive.

The only time I have ever said any 'swear word' was when I was so angry, I could have killed someone right then and there if I had the chance. (For the shock factor, especially coming from me.) (And which has only been three times, thankfully. I don't like feeling that way. I get sick.)

It's four words. You can continue to use those four words, but they will be partially blocked out by asterisks. Or, there are billions of other words out there to be used.

korrakorrakorrakorrakorra
#36 Old 05-11-2009, 02:32 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bmtn View Post

To those who feel hindered by the filter: use it as an opportunity to expand your vocabulary.

That's a pretty rude and snobby thing to say to people dude. Swearing has often got little to do with the size of a person's vocabulary. There are plenty of university-educated people with a good vocabulary who still swear.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SheThrowsDown View Post

I had just thought of this and was coming to post it. Another thing about the filter is that we have to remember that you only have to be 13 to JOIN the forum. Any age person can come and read it...that includes children who don't need to read that kind of language

You think that children of 13 don't swear? LOL.

I'm sorry, but that PG-13 thing on this board is a bit of a joke really. What is the point of making an issue about a bit of swearing in front of children when the very same children can go into the Sexually Frustrated Thread and read stuff about how long it's been since a bunch of posters last got their rocks off, what positions they like, and how dry a certain posters vagina is when she does it. If a board is going to have a PG-13 rule, I've got no problem with that, but I think it makes sense to at least apply it consistently.

m8itcanw8.com
#37 Old 05-11-2009, 02:48 PM

Quote:
You think that children of 13 don't swear? LOL.

That's nowhere close to what I said. What I said is that while 13 year olds can have access to post here, children under that age are still able to read everything written here. In other words any child who uses a computer and was to stumble on this site would be able to read all of it, including the profanities.
#38 Old 05-11-2009, 02:53 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

I type the way I talk too. And sometimes the filter turns my words into asterisks. And I'm sure I still get my point across.

I'm not in favor of censorship in general, but really don't give a **** about the swear filter here. Doesn't really hurt me either way.
#39 Old 05-11-2009, 02:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puppet Master View Post

I don't get why people care so much about it. It's only four words blocked. Four words. How many other words are there out there? Billions? Deal with it.

some of us dont get why people make a big deal about swearing either. works both ways and its not that i care that much, i didnt start the thread, im just sharing my opinion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puppet Master View Post

I certainly don't want to read it. I don't want to hear it. If someone uses them constantly in their typical vocabulary, in my mind, it only makes that person look unintelligent. Why? Because there is billions of words out there. Of thousands of languages, both dead and alive.

what pixelle said. its rude to say that about people. i notice your grammar isnt the best in yr post, but unlike you, ive got more class than to assume thats a reflection on the level of your intelligence.
#40 Old 05-11-2009, 02:57 PM
Veggie Regular

Well, considering that VB is pretty strick on the idea of not posting material that is inappropriate for minors, why do they have a rule of required age?

"Hell exists not to punish sinners, but to ensure that nobody sins in the first place."
#41 Old 05-11-2009, 02:59 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pixelle View Post

but I'm just saying in my experience, it's mostly Christian Americans who are still the most unsettled by swearing compared to everyone else.

Christian Americans are more unsettled by it than everyone else? In the world? In the 'western' world? In the English speaking world? Or do you really mean Christian Americans are more unsettled by cursing than every other group of people in the world?

So that comes from your experience, and I think I remember you have been to the US (cause of course you are talking about the United States of America, not the The Americas, right?) isn't that right? You must have met a lot of highly offended Christians here. Or are you basing this from internet experience? Or television?

Are Catholics included in this estimation? All Jesus-based religions?
#42 Old 05-11-2009, 03:00 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
That's a pretty rude and snobby thing to say to people dude. Swearing has often got little to do with the size of a person's vocabulary. There are plenty of university-educated people with a good vocabulary who still swear.

I'd say those "university-educated people with good vocabulary who still swear" are not displaying much of their supposed intelligence when they decide to represent themselves with asterisk-filled messages on a public forum.

Also, I never stated that the size of somebody's vocabulary represents their level of intelligence; however, everything a person types on the internet is a representation of the person's character. I am going to respect and pay more attention to what a person has to say when their message does not contain unnecessary vulgarity. Again, personal conversations may be more fit for such conversation than a PUBLIC forum, where people like me are going to consider your choice of words to be poor. Maybe I am the only one?

Anyone can convey a message without using 4-letter vulgarities, and anyone can convey their message any way they'd like. It is those choice of words that represents you publicly. If you want an asterisk-filled message, be my guest, but I do not believe those words are just as good as alternatives. Feel free to consider me a snob for thinking that your vocabulary is limited if you consistently represent yourself with the same obscene language.
#43 Old 05-11-2009, 03:08 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

Feel free to consider me a snob for thinking that your vocabulary is limited if you consistently represent yourself with the same obscene language.

Thank you, I will.

Heh, obscene...
#44 Old 05-11-2009, 03:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kazyeeqen View Post

I'm not in favor of censorship in general, but really don't give a **** about the swear filter here. Doesn't really hurt me either way.

i dont give a **** about the actual filters existence either, im more interested in the reaction some people have to the swearing itself.
#45 Old 05-11-2009, 03:18 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

Anyone can convey a message without using 4-letter vulgarities, and anyone can convey their message any way they'd like. It is those choice of words that represents you publicly. If you want an asterisk-filled message, be my guest, but I do not believe those words are just as good as alternatives. Feel free to consider me a snob for thinking that your vocabulary is limited if you consistently represent yourself with the same obscene language.

Cursewords have their place in proper communication, as a way to emphasize a point or express an emotion. Just because alternative expressions exist doesn't mean one has to use them. I don't evaluate someone's post based on a list of words that can't appear in it, I evaluate it as a whole.

"and I stand

upon a mountain

made of weak and useless men"

#46 Old 05-11-2009, 03:20 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

i dont give a **** about the actual filters existence either, im more interested in the reaction some people have to the swearing itself.

I've heard "wanker" gets quite a reaction.
#47 Old 05-11-2009, 03:32 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

Aiight. I agree.
#48 Old 05-11-2009, 03:41 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sevenseas View Post

Cursewords have their place in proper communication, as a way to emphasize a point or express an emotion. Just because alternative expressions exist doesn't mean one has to use them. I don't evaluate someone's post based on a list of words that can't appear in it, I evaluate it as a whole.

And I think there are better ways to emphasize a point or express an emotion than to use profanity in a public forum. I am not going to represent myself that way, but understand that some people may want to.

Not all public places are the same. For instance, workplace conversation may be more appropriate for certain words than these forums. Just because age 13 is the requirement to post, that does not mean it is impossible for people under that age to browse this forum. Anyone can search "veg board" or similar terms and find this place. Therefore, I think it a good idea to have a filter until the day this forum becomes private (which I hope it never happens because I think this place is a valuable resource for people of all ages).
#49 Old 05-11-2009, 03:47 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

I'd say those "university-educated people with good vocabulary who still swear" are not displaying much of their supposed intelligence when they decide to represent themselves with asterisk-filled messages on a public forum.

Why do we need to display our level of intelligence at every opportunity? Who are we trying to impress?

Quote:

Also, I never stated that the size of somebody's vocabulary represents their level of intelligence; however, everything a person types on the internet is a representation of the person's character. .

I learn far more about people by paying attention to WHAT they say, not HOW they say it. And seriously, you've got some stuff to learn about people if you really think a bit of swearing is a representation of a person's total character.

m8itcanw8.com
#50 Old 05-11-2009, 03:49 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

And I think there are better ways to emphasize a point or express an emotion than to use profanity in a public forum.

Well I guess that's just a matter of personal taste.

Quote:
Just because age 13 is the requirement to post, that does not mean it is impossible for people under that age to browse this forum. Anyone can search "veg board" or similar terms and find this place. Therefore, I think it a good idea to have a filter until the day this forum becomes private (which I hope it never happens because I think this place is a valuable resource for people of all ages).

I think that of all the stuff one could censure (sex, violence, drug references, touchy references to religion or ethnicity, cursing), cursewords are the most harmless, the most irrelevant, the most trivial example. I don't know what the situation is in the US, but from where I come from, pretty much the only people under 13 who haven't been subjected to endless cursing or who don't curse themselves are too young to read forums like this.

I don't really mind the filter function on VB, though, I'm just commenting on this as a general issue.

"and I stand

upon a mountain

made of weak and useless men"

#51 Old 05-11-2009, 04:21 PM
Veggie Regular

I agree that there are much bigger issues than word choice that are more important to censor from a younger population. Luckily these boards are full of great people who rarely, if ever (that I have yet to see, then again I have not been around long) discuss things that could be considered inappropriate for younger audiences. What is appropriate for this message board is up to the moderators, and may differ from its users. I support the censorship of certain words, because some people may not realize how publicly open this place is.

On the other hand, if this place was private, I would no longer believe it necessary to censor any words, given that the users did not violate the rules set by the owner/moderators. But that is not the case and hopefully never the case, so I support the censorship of a few words. I appreciate this place and am happy to know that all ages can look at this place and appreciate this place too.

Censorship can be dangerous and I can see how some people are frustrated that they cannot fully express themselves, yet I believe the censorship of these few words under these circumstances is hardly worth arguing against. It is one small rule on a great message board, where we can be using our time to discuss more important topics than a rule the owner is adamant about changing.

I am now exhausted from this topic and am going to move on to another topic!
#52 Old 05-11-2009, 05:27 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Envy View Post

Well, considering that VB is pretty strick on the idea of not posting material that is inappropriate for minors, why do they have a rule of required age?

i'm pretty sure that the 13+ membership cut-off is a logistical thing put in place due to this law, as aposed to a 'protecting public decency' thing. stuff posted needs to be PG13 for the benefit of the veiwing general public, not just for the members.
#53 Old 05-11-2009, 08:14 PM
Contributing Member

If the majority of what you say consists of swear words than it is time to get out the dictionary and learn some new words. As an athiest I'm far from being a christian and I'm very liberal, but I guess I'm a snob. I find people who constantly use swear words to be ummm...to have very little class.

If someone were to say "That f***** b**** sings like s***" rather than "Her voice is like nails on a chalkboard" (or something similar) I doubt I would want to have a conversation with them. And yes they would have no class whatsoever.

Someone above mentioned that just because someone swears it doesn't mean they have low intelligence which is true but it does give them that appearance.

One final thing...while everyone is arguing about censorship and if you block one thing, you need to block everything...it's not your board. The owner of the board can run it anyway he wants. This board is for us to have a place to go to talk about veg*nism because most of us have nowhere else to go, not to argue about why we can't cuss on it...sheeesh.

‎"One meal, soon forgotten, in exchange for a whole life." Author Unknown
"Fur is worn by beautiful animals and ugly people"

#54 Old 05-11-2009, 09:37 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by whisper View Post

If the majority of what you say consists of swear words than it is time to get out the dictionary and learn some new words. As an athiest I'm far from being a christian and I'm very liberal, but I guess I'm a snob. I find people who constantly use swear words to be ummm...to have very little class.

You mean atheist do have morals? Judast Priest!
#55 Old 05-11-2009, 10:41 PM
Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tori~CL View Post

You mean atheist do have morals? Judast Priest!

Shhhhh don't tell anyone.

‎"One meal, soon forgotten, in exchange for a whole life." Author Unknown
"Fur is worn by beautiful animals and ugly people"

#56 Old 05-11-2009, 11:48 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Envy View Post

It's called COPPA. If we allowed people under 13 to join we would have to collect and keep signed permission forms from their parents. It's the same for any website that collects personal information from children.

As for the policy... I'm not a prude, I personally have nothing against occasional curse words. I'm just trying to keep VB as accessible and enjoyable to as many people as I can.

You can continue to discuss it but the policy will not change as long as I own this forum.

VeggieBoards Alumni Facebook Group

If you're an old time VB'er stop by and say hi!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
#57 Old 05-12-2009, 12:09 AM

people who think that one should use a greater vocabulary to replace swear words must think that poetry is a replacement for the obscene. Which I think is pretty disgusting.

#58 Old 05-12-2009, 12:33 AM

Quote:

If someone were to say "That f***** b**** sings like s***" rather than "Her voice is like nails on a chalkboard" (or something similar) I doubt I would want to have a conversation with them. And yes they would have no class whatsoever.

Someone above mentioned that just because someone swears it doesn't mean they have low intelligence which is true but it does give them that appearance.

i think its going to be your loss in life that youre choosing to be that ignorant & judgmental about other people over the way they talk. ive had some interesting conversations with people who swear a hell of a lot more than i do and underneath the frequent cursing, theres still a human being ya know.

Quote:

One final thing...while everyone is arguing about censorship and if you block one thing, you need to block everything...it's not your board. The owner of the board can run it anyway he wants. This board is for us to have a place to go to talk about veg*nism because most of us have nowhere else to go, not to argue about why we can't cuss on it...sheeesh.

if we are only supposed to discuss veganism at any given time, what did michael provide the other non vegan forums for then ?? purdy decor? in any case,

we have all been on msg brds a long time, & we all know that the owner runs it how he wants & probably isnt going to change it, but that doesnt stop us sharing our opinion. if we didnt do that now and again, there would be no msg brd.
#59 Old 05-12-2009, 12:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael View Post

As for the policy... I'm not a prude, I personally have nothing against occasional curse words. I'm just trying to keep VB as accessible and enjoyable to as many people as I can.

like pixelle said tho, that reasoning isnt very consistent when you look at the board as a whole. how come a few swear words make vb inaccessible and unenjoyable for the masses, but the sexually frustrated thread which can get pretty explicit and descriptive at times, flys by the pg13 censor no worries at all ?? it doesnt make a lot of sense.
#60 Old 05-12-2009, 12:50 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

ive had some interesting conversations with people who swear a hell of a lot more than i do and underneath the frequent cursing, theres still a human being ya know.

Thanks, I'm touched by the support!

m8itcanw8.com
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page