#91 Old 07-26-2008, 06:40 PM
Banned

this thread makes me feel a bit sad.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#92 Old 07-26-2008, 06:44 PM
Veggie Regular

Don't be sad, HCJ!!!

"Yes! Live! Life's a banquet and most poor suckers are starving to death!" Auntie Mame
#93 Old 07-26-2008, 07:00 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bof View Post

No, I didn't realise. I just saw the heading MOD POST and assumed it was a genuine mod post. Silly me! And I saw it in isolation so didn't notice any 'silly smilies' after it.

Apparenty no-one else saw it as humorous, or surely someone would have said something over the last couple of days?

And, yes, you are losing your touch. (I'm renowned for my sense of humour, worldwide, so, if I didn't get it, it's not 'getable' )

BTW - there's enough drama in my life without having to create any more.

I saw the silly smileys. I knew it was a joke.

btw, I just read this thread now. That would be the reason I didn't say anything sooner.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#94 Old 07-26-2008, 07:22 PM
Bof
Banned

I think that making a MOD POST which is not to be taken seriously is creating a dangerous precedent. What if someone is 'warned' by such a post and repeats the 'offence,' assuming that the mod was joking. Would they still be punished? (Bloody oath, they would!)
#95 Old 07-26-2008, 07:24 PM
Bof
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoodedclawjen View Post

this thread makes me feel a bit sad.

Unfortunately, this thread / board is but a microcosm of the (totally stuffed) world at large, comprising lovely, kind people (pussycats), people who feel the need to make snide remarks, humourous / humourless people, boring old (and young) farts etc., etc.
#96 Old 07-26-2008, 07:41 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

No, I didn't realise. I just saw the heading MOD POST and assumed it was a genuine mod post.

And apparently assumed "you know who you are" referred to you. Which doesn't surprise me, since you had already had the effrontery to make personal attacks on the integrity of the mods here by accusing them of being partial, biased, and making decisions based on spurious grounds.

www.thesaucyvegan.com
#97 Old 07-26-2008, 07:45 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

I think that making a MOD POST which is not to be taken seriously is creating a dangerous precedent. What if someone is 'warned' by such a post and repeats the 'offence,' assuming that the mod was joking. Would they still be punished? (Bloody oath, they would!)

I agree that it was probably not a good idea, because there are always people who are going to take it the wrong way and not see the joke.
#98 Old 07-26-2008, 08:06 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by WonderRandy View Post

Bof, you do realize that was a joke, right?? I would have thought the silly smilies in the following post would have made that clear. If you didn't recognize the slightly ironic, somewhat self-referential humor in that, I sincerely apologize. I must be losing my touch.

If you did recognize the joke, and are still choosing to call me out over it, I would have to assume you are deliberately creating drama. You wouldn't do that now, would you?

It looked like an obvious joke to me. At first I thought he must have been playing around and acting upset.
#99 Old 07-26-2008, 08:12 PM
Kiz
Veggie Regular

I hardly ever take anything seriously around here.

Love the post? Why not buy the T-shirt!
http://www.kiz-shop.de/index.php?page=categorie&cat=8
http://www.kiz-shop.de/index.php?page=product&info=94
#100 Old 07-26-2008, 08:18 PM
Administrator

Quote:
No I didn't. If you're going to quote me, at least get it right.

Ok, so maybe you didn't say you had better things to do than create drama, which if true is very sad. But you did say you had enough drama without creating more. And again I say if that's true you're not showing it very well.

Quote:

VeggieBoards Alumni Facebook Group

If you're an old time VB'er stop by and say hi!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
#101 Old 07-26-2008, 08:52 PM
Bof
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiz View Post

I hardly ever take anything seriously around here.

That's 'cos you're a pussycat, cuz.
#102 Old 07-26-2008, 08:53 PM
Bof
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by SomebodyElse View Post

And apparently assumed "you know who you are" referred to you.

No, I didn't. (So now we have to add 'psychic abilities' (albeit unreliable) to your infinity of erudition?)
#103 Old 07-26-2008, 09:04 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

No, I didn't. (So now we have to add 'psychic abilities' (albeit unreliable) to your infinity of erudition?)

You're as easy to read as a spoiled five year old. No special skills required.

www.thesaucyvegan.com
#104 Old 07-26-2008, 10:09 PM

MOB POST

Alfy, the sea gull, says thanks for the chips.

#105 Old 07-26-2008, 10:28 PM

I've been thinking that maybe VB is infact a Bistomathic drive(of sorts)

Quote:
Bistromathic drive

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Jump to: navigation, search

The Bistromathic Drive is a starship propulsion system in Douglas Adams's The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy. It is introduced in Life, the Universe and Everything, the third book of the series.

The Bistromathic Drive is used in Slartibartfast's craft Starship Bistromath and works by exploiting the irrational mathematics that apply to numbers on a waiter's cheque pad and groups of people in restaurants. Life, the Universe and Everything describes bistromathics as follows:

Bistromathics itself is simply a revolutionary new way of understanding the behaviour of numbers. Just as Albert Einstein's general relativity theory observed that space was not an absolute but depended on the observer's movement in time, and that time was not an absolute, but depended on the observer's movement in space, so it is now realized that numbers are not absolute, but depend on the observer's movement in restaurants.

Further explanation of the theory behind bistromathics:

The first nonabsolute number is the number of people for whom the table is reserved. This will vary during the course of the first three telephone calls to the restaurant, and then bear no apparent relation to the number of people who actually turn up, or the number of people who subsequently join them after the show/match/party/gig, or to the number of people who leave when they see who else has shown up.

The second nonabsolute number is the given time of arrival, which is now known to be one of those most bizarre mathematical concepts, a recipriversexcluson, a number whose existence can only be defined as being anything other than itself. In other words, the given time of arrival is the one moment of time at which it is impossible that any member of the party will arrive. Recipriversexclusons now play a vital part in many branches of mathematics, including statistics and accountancy, and also form the basic equations used to engineer the Somebody Else's Problem field.

The third and most mysterious piece of nonabsoluteness of all lies in the relationship between the number of items on the bill, the cost of each item, the number of people at the table and what they are each prepared to pay for. (The number of people who have actually brought any money is only a sub-phenomenon in this field.)

A recipriversexcluson, for example, if the given time of arrival of a party at a restaurant is a recipriversexcluson, then it is the one moment of time at which it is impossible that any member of the party will arrive.

[edit] Operations

The bridge instruments of the Starship Bistromath are ensconced in fake wine bottles.

The central computational area is a fake Italian restaurant table with seating for twelve encased in a glass cage. The table is decked with a faded red and white check tablecloth with mathematically positioned cigarette burns. A group of robot customers sit round the table, attended by robot waiters.

The mathematics play themselves out in the complex interplay between continuously circulating keys, menus, watches, cheque books, credit cards, bill pads and scribblings on paper napkins.

"On a waiter's bill pad," explains Slartibartfast, "numbers dance. Reality and unreality collide on such a fundamental level that each becomes the other and anything is possible."

Should the ship's captain sit at the table, the mathematical functions speed up; the customers become more vociferous and wave at each other. Eventually, the equation balances, and the customers become polite and civil once more. The more heated the argument, the more complex the equation, and the farther the ship may travel.

Effectively, the ship takes advantage of the strange rules that only restaurants operate under by turning itself into a controlled, artificial restaurant. This allows a ship equipped with a bistromathic drive to accomplish feats quite outside the normal capabilities of spacecraft, such as traveling two thirds across the galactic disk in a matter of seconds. The drive is notably more powerful than the Infinite Improbability Drive.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bistromathic_drive

#106 Old 07-26-2008, 10:30 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

I prefer Bob Torres' analogy of an online message board being like a party the owner is hosting for like minded people, rather than being like a country of residence. If I'm throwing a party for a bunch of veggies, and I have set some simple rules of conduct for my guests, what is wrong with showing people the door when they consistently demonstrate an interest in seeing how many rules they can come close to breaking, and then whine loudly about bias and vindictiveness when they get caught and asked to stop?

Maybe that analogy is of more use for Bob Torres because his board is indeed for "like minded people": that's why it places such clear ideological criteria for membership. VB, on the other hand, is not about like minded people, at least not to me, given that there is no common set of values or beliefs that would be shared by all veg*ns.

Anyway, my problem isn't with banning people, my problem is the opposition to criticism.

If the people in the party happen to be friends to each other and some person is acting unfairly, the other people will surely bring it up and not think "well, relations of close acquaintance are voluntary, so I will dump him/her rather than criticize his/her actions".

"and I stand

upon a mountain

made of weak and useless men"

#107 Old 07-26-2008, 10:36 PM

Quote:

But the use of 'slut' is fine.

(twit - noun. Informal, chiefly British a silly or foolish person. - OED)

bof, youve gotta give this pedantic stuff up about the slut word cuz its gonna get you nowhere mate. as unfortunate as it is, the meaning has evolved to refer to anything that someone does a lot of >> post slut, club slut, food slut etc. there is a distinct difference between its use on vb in that way and you calling someone a twit.
#108 Old 07-26-2008, 11:52 PM
Bof
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by kali View Post

bof, youve gotta give this pedantic stuff up about the slut word

And who's gonna make me?

I only mention the use of the word 'slut' when discussing the ridiculous way that I'm supposed to use Latin words here instead of the correct Anglo Saxon ones.

If a group of people decided to redefine the meaning of '******' would it be OK to use it on the forum?
#109 Old 07-26-2008, 11:59 PM
Bof
Banned

Quote:

You're as easy to read as a spoiled five year old. No special skills required.

If it's that easy, how come you always get it wrong?
#110 Old 07-27-2008, 01:08 AM

Quote:

And who's gonna make me?

i meant that as a suggestion to make it easier on yourself, not as an order
#111 Old 07-27-2008, 01:12 AM
Bof
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by kali View Post

i meant that as a suggestion to make it easier on yourself, not as an order

I'm a happily living example of life not being meant to be easy (Where have I heard that before?) but thanks for the thought.
#112 Old 07-27-2008, 04:35 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

No, I didn't realise.

Realize is a correct spelling as well.

Quote:
I just saw the heading MOD POST and assumed it was a genuine mod post. Silly me! And I saw it in isolation so didn't notice any 'silly smilies' after it.

Apparenty no-one else saw it as humorous, or surely someone would have said something over the last couple of days?

And, yes, you are losing your touch. (I'm renowned for my sense of humour, worldwide, so, if I didn't get it, it's not 'getable' )

I could easily tell that Wonder was joking. I even thought it was funny...

FWIW, I think the mods do a great job. Maybe not every call they make is the absolute best one, but they try.
#113 Old 07-27-2008, 07:16 AM
Administrator

This thread is closed.

The vast majority of members are able to operate within the few rules that we have. And most have no problem with (and even appreciate) the work our moderators do.

Every so often someone gets upset (often joined by a few of their friends) because they were asked not to do something. They go on a mission to see how far they can push things before they're banned. And when they are, in their minds, they've proven their point. Martyr syndrome.

I learned long ago I'm never going to make everyone happy. So... If you're that unhappy here, go somewhere else. That's not an ultimatum, that's common sense. If you're hell-bent on going out as a martyr you will ultimately get what you want. I've been through this many times before and I refuse to let a few people create the illusion that this is an unpleasant place to be.

VeggieBoards Alumni Facebook Group

If you're an old time VB'er stop by and say hi!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page