Cache questions - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 02-26-2003, 02:12 AM
Veggie Regular

This relates to the bandwidth issue.

Robert said that images (and so on) normally are stored in the cache.

Questions:

1- So am I right to think I these things are somewhere stored on my harddisk?

And where are they?

Because when I search them with the magnifier glass thingy I cant find them.

I only have links in the temp internet files folder?

2- Is this cache thing something that can be switched on or off?

At work I have cable connection (600kb/sec me thinks) and images like avatars show instantly. (As long as the website server has some speed.)

When I go to the public library (128kb/sec) post on VB, and when I return to the thread it takes 3-4 seconds before all avatars show up ?

3- If the avatars are in the cache they should pop-up instantly. (right?)

Another one:

I have Explorer 6.0.2600.000 and I assume that when I use the <back> button, I should return to the previous page within 5 seconds? Because I really have to wait for the previous page?

I wouldn't want to use to much of VB bandwidht because I have an option switched the wrong way.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 02-26-2003, 02:29 AM
Veggie Regular

1Vegan, to answer the most important of your questions first, please do not ever worry about how many times you view the site, or re-visit a page. Do not ever worry about bandwidth consumption. While certainly considerate, it is absolutely not your responsibility so please do not ever feel this is the case.

Okay, regarding the cache files. Assuming you are using Windows, images and files are stored in a folder called temporary internet files. On some computers, there may or may also be a cache folder as well.

In Internet Explorer, go to:

Tools > Internet Options > General tab

There is a Settings button for temporary internet files. Click it. You will see somethng called "Check for newer versions of stored pages". Most folks will have it set as Every Time You Start Internet Explorer which means that every time you start IE and visit the site, it will check and update the files in your temporary Internet Files because the pages now contain new, updated content. This is normal and allows you view the latest posts.

Also under this same menu, there is a "slider" that lets you choose how much disk space to use for the temporary files. If this is set to a low setting, such as the case with the library, it is possible that the library computer has different files stored in the temp files folder because other peole have visited different sites. So when you use it, it replaces those files with the ones with VB.

I hope this helps better explain the cache thing and, again, never ever worry about using bandwidth here. View as many of the threads and participate in as many as threads as you like.
#3 Old 02-26-2003, 02:40 AM
Veggie Regular

Ok,

I've got the "check pages" thing on automaticly.

Don't understand the difference between "every time" and "automatic"

I had the disk space on 499Mb, now changed to 1099Mb.

It's just that I don't understand that if a previous page is on my disk, why do I have to wait "so" long?

(the machine is a pentium 4 256Mb, 1.7Ghz that should be quick)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 02-26-2003, 02:46 AM
Veggie Regular

1Vegan, I personally find that anytime you allow Windows to do anything automatically, it usually opts for the lowest common denominator that will work on most systems. Increasing the amount of cache file space should provide a perofrmance improvement for you.

Its important to note that many of the pages, because of the html formatting, tables, coding and the number/length of posts are in excess of 200k per page. Your browser must first download all the code and then parse it for display. Depending on your Internet connection and any traffic bottlenecks between Europe and the US, it will likely vary in speed.

I will bet that some pages load faster for you than others, right? This is because some pages contain more code/text/html that needs to be parsed before display than others. Cae in point, this page probably loads a lost faster for than other pages.

BTW, you might need to reboot before your changes to settings really take effect.
#5 Old 02-26-2003, 02:57 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally posted by Robert

I will bet that some pages load faster for you than others, right? This is because some pages contain more code/text/html that needs to be parsed before display than others. Cae in point, this page probably loads a lost faster for than other pages.

Vb is quick.

When I choose Quote i get the next page within three seconds.

Some servers are slow, like pictures on geocities take "forever".
#6 Old 02-26-2003, 03:07 AM
Veggie Regular

Well, GeoCities is a "free" homepage provider and they *probably* load their servers to max capacity. They also employ several bandwidth protection measures to conserve bandwidth.

I would assume that the sites which pay for hosting on GeoCities would be placed on servers that are not so loaded with customers and have a wider bandwidth pipe. I am only assuming this though, so please do not consider it as fact.

On this server that hosts VB, I know for a fact that there are only a few other sites on it so there is a lot of bandwidth and connections available for all visitors.
#7 Old 02-26-2003, 10:44 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally posted by Robert

1Vegan, I personally find that anytime you allow Windows to do anything automatically, it usually opts for the lowest common denominator that will work on most systems. Increasing the amount of cache file space should provide a perofrmance improvement for you.

To a point. It also takes time to seach the cache so while a moderately large cache will speed performance. an obscenely huge cache will hurt performance.

Quote:
BTW, you might need to reboot before your changes to settings really take effect.

#8 Old 02-26-2003, 01:42 PM
Veggie Regular

Kirk, great point. He had mentioned a pretty small cache for what sounded liked a pretty powerful puter, so increasing his cache a bit would hopefully help his issue. But I certainly agree that an "oversized" cache coud impact performace negatively.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page