Should mods close threads when things aren't going their way? - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 
Closed Thread

#1 Old 08-03-2006, 08:35 PM
Banned

no term of service was violated in skylark's or Tame's thread. While I can see why the old "OP can request to have their thread closed" thing would apply to skylark's thread, it is clearly in poor form for a mod to close their own thread when the TOS have been adhered to. IMO it is over the line for someone elses thread to be closed when, again, the TOS have been followed.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 08-03-2006, 09:10 PM
Banned

I can understand if Skylark felt she was being misunderstood as a valid reason to close her own thread.

I am absolutely baffled as to why my thread was closed.
#3 Old 08-03-2006, 09:13 PM
Veggie Regular

I didn't see the original thread as getting out of control or anything so I don't understand who needs to cool off...guess that's a matter of perspective.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 08-03-2006, 09:17 PM
Banned

this white boy can dance

to dave matthews band
#5 Old 08-03-2006, 09:21 PM
Veggie Regular

OA says, pop that colla
#6 Old 08-03-2006, 09:56 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by gaya View Post

I didn't see the original thread as getting out of control or anything so I don't understand who needs to cool off...guess that's a matter of perspective.

It's not even a matter of perspective. It appears to be about one person apparently getting their feelings hurt, so that means no one else can have a discussion.

Very strange.
#7 Old 08-03-2006, 09:58 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by OregonAmy View Post

OA says, pop that colla

http://www.muvids.com/three_6_mafia_...my_collar.html

Now eva since i can remember

I've been poppin' my collar

(poppin' poppin' my collar)

(poppin' poppin' my collar)

Now eva since i can remember

I've been workin these ho's

En they betta put my money in my hand
#8 Old 08-03-2006, 10:01 PM
Administrator

As far as I'm concerned people should be warned once or twice to get back on topic before closing a thread.

If it's her thread then I don't see what the big deal is. Anyone can request to have one of their threads closed.

Follow me on Twitter - @_jorts
#9 Old 08-03-2006, 10:04 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael View Post

As far as I'm concerned people should be warned once or twice to get back on topic before closing a thread.

If it's her thread then I don't see what the big deal is. Anyone can request to have one of their threads closed.

what about Tame's thread?
#10 Old 08-03-2006, 10:05 PM
Banned

here's what Synergy said in closing Tame's thread:

Skylark closed the other thread for a reason-and while it is an interesting topic, we are are going to give everyone a little time to cool off before restarting this converstation.

But what reason ? I dont think it's fair when you close it and don't explain why.
#11 Old 08-03-2006, 10:05 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael View Post

I don't question why her thread was closed.

Why was *my* thread closed? IAJ asked me a question in Sky's thread, I answered, and the thread was closed. I started a new one and asked IAJ to move our posts over. I come back later to find Synergy closed my thread because Skylark had closed hers. It just doesn't make any sense, and after sending a report in to the mods and a couple of PMs, no one has yet to make this clearer.
#12 Old 08-03-2006, 10:09 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by remilard View Post

what about Tame's thread?

Well duh, because

Tames the first dude to scream on a track

Tame switched up the beat of the drum

That's right Tame brought all the girls to the yard

And that's right, Tames the one that's tattooed on my arm

Tames bossy

Tames the ***** y'all love to hate

Tames the dude that's raised the stakes

I told young stunna he should switch debate

Tames back with an 808 cause Tames bossy
#13 Old 08-03-2006, 10:18 PM
Banned

I thought it was because he is

rollin' down the street, munchin' tofurkey

sippin' on naked juice

laaaaaaid back

with his mind on his money and his money on his mind
#14 Old 08-03-2006, 10:32 PM
Veggie Regular

great. now remi's doing the electric slide
#15 Old 08-03-2006, 10:37 PM
Banned

Nah, nah, playas, it's more like:

My soyshake brings all the girls to the yard,

And their like

It's better than yours,

Damn right it's better than yours,

I can teach you,

But I have to charge

I know you want it,

The thing that makes me,

What the girls go crazy for.

They lose their minds,

The way I wind,

I think its time
#16 Old 08-04-2006, 05:51 AM
Veggie Regular

By the looks of things, skylark closed her thread because she felt it was getting too heated, and obviously the other mods agreed, so when you made a new thread about the exact same thing, they closed it because people had got worked up about it, it's quite clear here -

"we are are going to give everyone a little time to cool off before restarting this converstation."

The reason it was closed instead of your posts being moved over, etc, is because the mods seemed to feel the whole subject was going in a bad direction, so they're having a break from it.

And all this I gathered from reading the last few posts in each one...
#17 Old 08-04-2006, 06:12 AM
Banned

Really?

Gee, all Skylark posted was she was closing her thread.

No one mentioned a "reason", and sorry, just because a mod got her feelings hurt doesn't mean a subject was too heated to continue.

No TOS violation = mods should mind their own business.
#18 Old 08-04-2006, 08:57 AM
Veggie Regular

I'd rather have controversy than groupthink.

I don't need a board where everyone runs around patting each other on the back for reaching the pinnacle of enlightenment and reason. My ego isn't that fragile.
#19 Old 08-04-2006, 11:10 AM
Veggie Regular

I can't come up with any scenario where closing a thread makes any sense. Well, unless the original post is against the TOS and deserves to get deleted.

It doesn't matter if people insult each other or if the TOS has been followed in the middle of the thread: then those posts will just be deleted, the people will stop posting in the thread or whatever. It doesn't make sense to abruptly terminate all the other conversations in a thread simply because some posts are inappropriate.

"and I stand

upon a mountain

made of weak and useless men"

#20 Old 08-04-2006, 11:12 AM
Veggie Regular

I think the reason was shown in what I quoted - that the members involved needed to cool off. It doesn't even seem like they won't let you pick up the topic again sometimes in the future, so I can't see why you can't leave it for a bit, then ask another time if the topic can be continued.

Das_nut - there's a difference between controversy, which is pretty much what all threads in the compost heap have, and a discussion falling into name calling and personal attacks. I'm not saying that's what happened in this thread, but maybe the mods felt if it was allowed to continue it would, so a break was needed. Maybe this break will even give the opposing parties time to think over their argument and present it in a better way when the topic resurfaces.

Tame, you said you didn't care why skylarks thread was closed, when hers and ours are obviously tied together, so why don't you ask why hers was closed instead of why yours was, and you might get the answers you want.
#21 Old 08-04-2006, 11:18 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shantih View Post

Das_nut - there's a difference between controversy, which is pretty much what all threads in the compost heap have, and a discussion falling into name calling and personal attacks. I'm not saying that's what happened in this thread, but maybe the mods felt if it was allowed to continue it would, so a break was needed. Maybe this break will even give the opposing parties time to think over their argument and present it in a better way when the topic resurfaces.

No dice. We don't need babysitters.

Quote:

Tame, you said you didn't care why skylarks thread was closed, when hers and ours are obviously tied together, so why don't you ask why hers was closed instead of why yours was, and you might get the answers you want.

Because the OP has the right to request that their thread be closed. As she gave no reason, there was no reason for me to believe I could not start a thread that carried the conversation into a more general path of discussion.

Plain and simple, some mods have over stepped their bounds, many of us don't appreciate it, and I will harp about it until someone steps forward and actually explains their behavior.
#22 Old 08-04-2006, 11:23 AM
Veggie Regular

I think we've all cooled off now and you can reopen the thread. Probably?
#23 Old 08-04-2006, 11:25 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Because the OP has the right to request that their thread be closed. As she gave no reason, there was no reason for me to believe I could not start a thread that carried the conversation into a more general path of discussion.

Exactly...so why not ask why she chose to close your thread, as it would clearly aid you in understanding why yours was. Even though I think the mods gave a sufficient explanation, maybe they should apologise for offering you more information since Skylarks reasons were never told.

Of course she has the right to request her thread be closed, but that's no reason not to explain why she did so if it has something to do with you.
#24 Old 08-04-2006, 01:28 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sevenseas View Post

I can't come up with any scenario where closing a thread makes any sense. Well, unless the original post is against the TOS and deserves to get deleted.

It doesn't matter if people insult each other or if the TOS has been followed in the middle of the thread: then those posts will just be deleted, the people will stop posting in the thread or whatever. It doesn't make sense to abruptly terminate all the other conversations in a thread simply because some posts are inappropriate.

I agree with this. Sometimes threads get closed with no obvious reason to me. I assume in those cases that there have been posts hich violated the TOS and were deleted. But if the subject interesting, I don't see why the thread also needs to be closed. It's annoying, sometimes.
#25 Old 08-04-2006, 01:58 PM
Banned

What I find irritating is that the two mods knee deep in this, and who can actually try to clear things up, can't seem to be troubled to post here and answer for themselves.

But as they have had ample opportunity, I will now answer for them.

Skylark got her feelings hurt (for whatever reason) and wanted her thread closed. She and her clique got upset when evil, horrible, rotten Tame had the audacity to try and continue the conversation, and as they never miss a chance to try and exert their power over me, they closed my thread.

Yep. That's it. Anyone can read the thread and question and see no "cooling off" period was needed.

I guess I should be used to this by now.
#26 Old 08-04-2006, 02:05 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by das_nut View Post

I'd rather have controversy than groupthink.

I don't need a board where everyone runs around patting each other on the back for reaching the pinnacle of enlightenment and reason. My ego isn't that fragile.

As long as it's constructive controversy ... otherwise it's really no better than groupthink, because people just get their feelings hurt and shut you out.
#27 Old 08-04-2006, 05:22 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shantih View Post

I'm not sure why a thread should be closed if a small minority of the participants are name-calling.

I think that such a policy is detrimental to civilized discussion, as well as being open to abuse.

Oh, and since I want the last word in this thread, you are a meanie-meanie-not-so-nice-weanie!
#28 Old 08-05-2006, 07:17 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by vggiegirl View Post

Well duh, because

Tames the first dude to scream on a track

Tame switched up the beat of the drum

That's right Tame brought all the girls to the yard

And that's right, Tames the one that's tattooed on my arm

Tames bossy

Tames the ***** y'all love to hate

Tames the dude that's raised the stakes

I told young stunna he should switch debate

Tames back with an 808 cause Tames bossy

To funny.
#29 Old 08-05-2006, 07:41 AM
Veggie Regular

I see nothing constructive coming out of this thread. I suggest VB be closed. Anyone who has more thoughts on the matter is free to start his/her own forum.

"and I stand

upon a mountain

made of weak and useless men"

#30 Old 08-05-2006, 12:05 PM
Banned

So my thread is finally reopened, and Skylark posts this:

"I had decided to close my own thread yesterday because I felt the good, important topic of racism and stereotyping should continue, but the thread had become too much about me and my alleged motivations for starting it. Those who wanted to carry on the discussion may do so in this thread or others."

So the thread wasn't closed because things got heated. It was closed because you got your feelings hurt. As always, I was correct.

And even though you thought the topic was important and should continue, you and a couple of others shut my thread down even though it was only going to carry forward the dialogue about the issue as a whole and leave behind the specifics of your incident.

Honestly, do you expect anyone to swallow this?

It would be nice if you, and whomever else followed along with this, would apologize for:

1.)Abusing your powers.

2.)Not having the decency to directly address the concerns raised in this thread.

In the future, I would suggest the mods involved get away from the current knee-jerk reaction of closing threads without thinking the situation through.
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page