Should mods close threads when things aren't going their way? - Page 3 - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 
Closed Thread

#61 Old 08-07-2006, 06:39 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by synergy View Post

Tame, I replied to you via PM, I was not ignoring the situation-I apologised for the delay in my response- I was not online for a litle while since I had family in town, otherwise I would have gotten back at you sooner.

Did I mention you directly?

Perhaps I am referring to the others I saw online who did not address the matter promptly.

I am also specifically referring to Skylark, who caused all of this, and could have made it go away rather quickly.

And, I will comment about whoever I like, where ever i like. Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#62 Old 08-07-2006, 06:42 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by OregonAmy View Post

The first one should be, "do I understand what this thread (or post) is about, or am I misinterpreting things?"

If the thread should be closed, the second one should be, "OK, I'm going to go PM the OP now and explain..."

A simple PM could have resolved a lot of my irritation, but I guess that would make to much sense, and would require certain mods putting aside their petty differences.
#63 Old 08-07-2006, 06:44 PM
Veggie Regular

Yes Tame,

you did mention me directly, not about promptness, but about my reaction to the whole situation:

Quote:
At worst, those should have been added, instead of the incompetent decision made by Synergy at the behest of Skylark.

And, just for the record. The closure of your thread was not at the behest of Skylark.

You just made that assumption.

http://bringingyouohm.wordpress.com/

Lokah Samastah Sukhino Bhavanto

'May everyone everywhere be happy
May the whole world be joyous'
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#64 Old 08-07-2006, 06:46 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tame View Post

Did I mention you directly?

Perhaps I am referring to the others I saw online who did not address the matter promptly.

As you should well know, the mods often try and discuss actions before making them, especially if they involve the reversal of a prior action. Just because you saw a few mods online, that doesn't mean they were around to suit your every need. They may have been waiting for input from others or, god forbid, doing something that didn't revolve around your thread.
#65 Old 08-07-2006, 06:48 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by misq17 View Post

As you should well know, the mods often try and discuss actions before making them, especially if they involve the reversal of a prior action. Just because you saw a few mods online, that doesn't mean they were around to suit your every need. They may have been waiting for input from others or, god forbid, doing something that didn't revolve around your thread.

I guess not replying to a reported post within 48 hours makes sense.

Oh, wait...it doen't.

Try again. And while you are at it, please explain the discussion that justified why the thread was closed. That is what I want to know.

And why wasn't the OP PM'd, as would usually be done, when a thread was closed for no good reason?
#66 Old 08-07-2006, 06:50 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by synergy View Post

Yes Tame,

you did mention me directly, not about promptness, but about my reaction to the whole situation:

And, just for the record. The closure of your thread was not at the behest of Skylark.

You just made that assumption.

So, exactly who thought her closing her thread without explanation justified closing my thread? Explain.

Who thought a thread which hadn't even hit 10% on the heat-o-meter was too hot for VB? Explain.
#67 Old 08-07-2006, 06:54 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

I guess not replying to a reported post within 48 hours makes sense.

Oh, wait...it doen't.

Try again. And while you are at it, please explain the discussion that justified why the thread was closed. That is what I want to know.

And why wasn't the OP PM'd, as would usually be done, when a thread was closed for no good reason?

It's already been explained to you why your thread was closed. I still feel that the break inbetween the threads was advantageous - it gave people a chance to cool off in between discussions and helped the new thread not just become a continuation of the insults that were flying in the previous one.

Synergy has already explained the PM situation to you.
#68 Old 08-07-2006, 06:56 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

Who thought a thread which hadn't even hit 10% on the heat-o-meter was too hot for VB? Explain.

Why does it matter who decided to close your thread, so you can carry out a personal vendetta? The mods work as a team.
#69 Old 08-07-2006, 07:02 PM
Banned

Quote:

It's already been explained to you why your thread was closed. I still feel that the break inbetween the threads was advantageous - it gave people a chance to cool off in between discussions and helped the new thread not just become a continuation of the insults that were flying in the previous one.

There were no insults flying in the other thread. I have no idea why people keep pretending there were.

I haven't read a valid explanation as to why my thread was closed, other than the alleged too heated.

Was it only because Skylark closed hers? That doesn't make sense.

(Michael mentioned in this thread how those kinds of threads should be handled. This was not the correct way.)

If so, as she didn't give a reason, wouldn't a brief PM to me explaining the situation and asking to close my thread have been the usual way to go about it, rather than Synergy's closing my thread with a brief comment about a "heated" thread that no one else seems to think was heated?

Why wasn't that done?

Quote:

Synergy explained her reason, which was valid.

It doesn't explain why my reported post wasn't acknowledged by *someone* with a brief "we're looking into it." If someone treats me unfairly because of personal issues and then ignores me I will bring it back up until I get an answer.
#70 Old 08-07-2006, 07:04 PM
Banned

Quote:

Why does it matter who decided to close your thread, so you can carry out a personal vendetta? The mods work as a team.

I'll be blunt - because I don't believe anyone worked as a "team" in this case.

This same crap went on last summer/fall, and I dropped it that time. The same crew is coming with it again, and I am tired of it.
#71 Old 08-07-2006, 07:17 PM
Veggie Regular

I'll be blunt with you, too - nobody treated you unfairly because of personal issues. We all have different judgement and comfort levels with insults and the like. You've been told all there is to tell about the closing of your thread and the circumstances around it. There are no deep stories and conspiracies.
#72 Old 08-07-2006, 07:45 PM
Banned

Quote:

I'll be blunt with you, too - nobody treated you unfairly because of personal issues. We all have different judgement and comfort levels with insults and the like. You've been told all there is to tell about the closing of your thread and the circumstances around it. There are no deep stories and conspiracies.

Did you read either of the threads in question?

If zero insults exceed your comfort level for insults then you have problems.
#73 Old 08-07-2006, 08:02 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by remilard View Post

Did you read either of the threads in question?

If zero insults exceed your comfort level for insults then you have problems.

Yes, I read both
#74 Old 08-07-2006, 08:04 PM
Banned

Quote:

Yes, I read both

could you point out an insult, just for fun?
#75 Old 08-09-2006, 05:00 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

Have to agree with Tame here. There WERE no insults flying in the previous thread. I read the thread after it was closed without having posted in it and found it actually very thought provoking. While I understand skylarks personal reasons for closing it, it was one of the most civil discussions of race related issues I've seen on this board. There wasn't anyone who needed to cool off, with the possible excepton of skylark, who apparently didn't like the direction her thread had taken. But frankly the closing of Tame's related but not the same discussion was just silly. The fact that we're seeing he wasn't notified via pm about why his thread was being closed kind of makes it twice the insult.

B
#76 Old 08-10-2006, 03:12 AM
Kiz
Veggie Regular

I'm not at all surprise that mod like Skylark deliberately abuses her privs and doesn't get them rebuked. It just seems to be a "one rule for them, one rule for you" thing.

The fact that Skylark hasn't had the balls to reply to this thread only goes to show that she knows she is in the wrong in this who scenario.

Love the post? Why not buy the T-shirt!
http://www.kiz-shop.de/index.php?page=categorie&cat=8
http://www.kiz-shop.de/index.php?page=product&info=94
#77 Old 08-10-2006, 03:20 AM

Skylark had the right, just like other OP's to close her own thread.

Aside from synergy, who took the actual action, the matter of who was involved in closing the second thread is just supposition.

The ones I pity are the ones who never stick out their neck for something they believe, never know the taste of moral struggle, and never have the thrill of victory. - Jonathan Kozol
#78 Old 08-10-2006, 03:28 AM
Kiz
Veggie Regular

I "have the right" to do a lot of things. Whether I abuse those rights is another matter entirely.

Love the post? Why not buy the T-shirt!
http://www.kiz-shop.de/index.php?page=categorie&cat=8
http://www.kiz-shop.de/index.php?page=product&info=94
#79 Old 08-10-2006, 05:09 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by IamJen View Post

Aside from synergy, who took the actual action, the matter of who was involved in closing the second thread is just supposition.

If she wasn't involved, she could have said that as well. Silence speaks volumes.

This isn't coming out of the blue. You know there is a history of similar behavior, and that is why I got irritated when this happened. One PM could have resolved all of this.
#80 Old 08-10-2006, 07:34 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by IamJen View Post

That is not true Jen. Synergy stated that the second thread was closed under the consensus of the "mods". So while we don't know who specifically was involved unless you are claiming Synergy was dishonest we know it was several moderators.
#81 Old 08-10-2006, 11:41 AM

To clarify, it seems that skylark is taking heat for closing of the second thread as well. My point was that other than synergy, you don't know what mods were involved. We're all on at different times, so it's unlikely that all 11 of us discussed this thread and agreed.

The ones I pity are the ones who never stick out their neck for something they believe, never know the taste of moral struggle, and never have the thrill of victory. - Jonathan Kozol
#82 Old 08-10-2006, 11:44 AM
Veggie Regular

The situation is rather simple, guys, and I don't think there's much to argue about. Skylark was the OP of her thread and closed it. Tame created another thread of similar topic to the one Skylark closed. We mods were not clear on why Skylark had closed the thread, and perceived Tame's creating a new thread as going against a mod's action. Skylark then clarified to us that she was closing the thread as an OP -- anyone on the board may have their own thread closed on request. Upon that clarification, we reopened Tame's thread. We mods are human, and so an occasional misunderstanding will take place. As you will notice, as soon as we found out why Skylark had closed her thread, we remedied this entire situation.
#83 Old 08-10-2006, 11:57 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by froggythefrog View Post

The situation is rather simple, guys, and I don't think there's much to argue about. Skylark was the OP of her thread and closed it. Tame created another thread of similar topic to the one Skylark closed. We mods were not clear on why Skylark had closed the thread, and perceived Tame's creating a new thread as going against a mod's action.

Wait a minute. Let's break this down.

1.) Skylark closes her thread (which although is bad form, is her right.)

2.) She posts no specific reason for doing so.

3.) I choose to continue a discussion not having anything to do with Skylark or her specific thread.

4.) The "mods" assume (based on what you said with you had no specifc knowledge of why Skylark closed her thread) that I was going against a mod's decision even though I had no idea (and it appears neither did you) what the reasoning was.

5.) Does that mean Synergy's reason that the thread closed was "too heated" was made up?

Quote:
Skylark then clarified to us that she was closing the thread as an OP -- anyone on the board may have their own thread closed on request. Upon that clarification, we reopened Tame's thread.

Wow. Thank you all for letting me have a discussion with your permission.

Quote:
We mods are human, and so an occasional misunderstanding will take place. As you will notice, as soon as we found out why Skylark had closed her thread, we remedied this entire situation.

Gee, how about communicating? One PM would have helped (and isn't that standard when closing someone's thread and essentially accusing them of a TOS vioaltion - ie.e ignoring a mod?), although honestly, closing threads on discussion is absurd, and something some of you need to quit doing.

Your explanation answers some of my questions, but not for the better. As far as my accusations about mod bias, you confirmed them.
#84 Old 08-10-2006, 12:42 PM
Veggie Regular

#85 Old 08-10-2006, 12:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kpickell View Post

i strongly disagree.

#86 Old 08-10-2006, 05:36 PM
Banned

IamJen: Synergy claimed a consensus had been reached. You guys make it sound all democratic so like other voting bodies I will consider all members responsible for actions taken by what the group considers to be a quorum/majority.

Froggy: If the mods who were on at the time of the closing didn't know why skylark's thread was closed why was a decision reached within minutes and why was a reason given for skylark closing her thread?
#87 Old 08-10-2006, 05:58 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by remilard View Post

Froggy: If the mods who were on at the time of the closing didn't know why skylark's thread was closed why was a decision reached within minutes and why was a reason given for skylark closing her thread?

Wot? Yah callin me li-uh?

I dont remember the timing of it all, but Internet communication logistics are less than perfect.
#88 Old 08-10-2006, 06:01 PM
Banned

Let's just say I'm skeptical. I also kept watch on who was online the few hours after I questioned what was going on, and some things aren't adding up. Considering one of the mods involved has openly advocated the banning of me and certain other VBers on their blog in the past, I have trouble putting my trust in them.
#89 Old 08-10-2006, 08:48 PM
Banned

^^

Well maybe you have to ask yourself what you did to bring that on.

And if you wanna bring what goes on elsewhere into this discussion, what about the ridiculous and hateful BS you've said about Skylark on another board! Mods should certainly try to remain objective, but if they get to read that kind of childish crap about themselves, you can expect that the next time you complain about something, they're probably not going to take you very seriously. You have to be fair to others in order to receive fair treatment back.
#90 Old 08-10-2006, 08:55 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by astro View Post

^^

Well maybe you have to ask yourself what you did to bring that on.

I know exactly what brought it on. Someone jumped the gun and overreacted even after it was explained by the other mods.

Quote:

And if you wanna bring what goes on elsewhere into this discussion, what about the ridiculous and hateful BS you've said about Skylark on another board!

See above.

We also had a truce recently, as far as I knew.

Quote:

Also note that as Mods should certainly try to remain objective, but if they get to read that kind of childish crap about themselves, you can expect that the next time you complain about something, they're probably not going to take you very seriously. You have to be fair to others in order to receive fair treatment back.

Why don't you try actually knowing what the **** you are talking about before running your mouth sometime?
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page